Start by marking “Day Zero (Zero Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Day Zero (Zero Trilogy #1)

Day Zero

(The Zero Trilogy #1)

A NATIONAL BESTSELLER FROM THE NATIONALLY POPULAR COLLAPSE SERIES, FROM CREATOR AND AUTHOR SUMMER LANE!

Elle is a survivor.
Since the collapse of modern society, she's been living in the remains of downtown Hollywood, California, foraging for food and fighting for her life.
And then everything changes.
After she is forced out of her home, she heads north. What she finds is
Published September 29th 2014 by CreateSpace

Start your review of Day Zero (Zero Trilogy #1)
Tom Lewis
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It’s a companion piece to Summer Lane’s Collapse series, but works equally well as a stand-alone. It follows a 15 year old girl, trying to survive in LA in the wake of civilization’s collapse. Fans of dystopian literature like “Hunger Games” and “Divergent” will love it.
Summer Lane
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
VERY EXCITED.
This book is the beginning of a new saga that is set in the same world as the Collapse Series - but with an entirely new storyline, new characters and a new perspective on the end of the world as we know it. :)
Ruth Silver
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Day Zero is the first book in The Zero Trilogy. I’d definitely recommend reading Summer Lane’s Collapse series (starting with State of Emergency) before picking up this novella series. A lot more will make sense in terms of the back story of other characters, world building, and the recent dystopian setting.

As for Day Zero, it took about 15-20% of the story to really get into the setting, characters, and to know what was going on. The good
Olivia-Savannah
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
*Thank you to the author for sending me a copy for review*

This was a novella, which means it was a quick read at only 170 pages. As a novella, it had everything it needed to have in there and was a pretty enjoyable read as well. We got some character development, action and a good story in a shorter amount of pages than usual, and that is pretty admirable.

Elle is the main character, a teenager who has been left to fend for herself in a world where there is the Omega always watching everyone and
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This novella is extremely fast paced, a quick read, but fits quite a bit into its pages. Though it is set in the same world as the Collapse series, I don't think it is imperative for the reader to have read that series (though, since I really like it, I would recommend it!) to enjoy this one.

Day Zero features Elle, who has been living on her own in California during the majority of the time that has passed since the EMP strike. Elle stays by herself for self-preservation, and has no plans to see
Jason
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
These are easy to read books (or Novellas as they are quiet short) and set in the same 'Universe' as her other Collapse Series.
This series follows a young girl 'Elle' as she struggles to get around the nearly abandoned city of L.A. I say nearly abandoned as of course its full of the gangs, ferals, and other low lifes that you expect in this type of story, otherwise, what would be the point?? It's a good fun read, not to heavy, with a nice simple plot to follow that makes it an enjoyable read.
Thi
Sharon Metcalf
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A very quick read, this novella was book one of the Day Zero trilogy. It tells the story of 15 year old Elle, surviving alone in a Santa Monica and Hollywood in a post apocalypse world. Elle encounters a group of four other kids who have also survived although they dont have the experience and survival skills necessary to make it in this rugged landscape. Against her better judgement she stays with them and I quickly became engaged in the fast paced story as Elle took on a leadership role. Just ...more
Randy Tramp
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In a place where there was no hope, hope was found. Destruction changed everything in Ellie's world. The modern world was plunged into a day of darkness that turned into a life time of despair.
I couldn't put the book down. It was a great read. As I read Day Zero I thought about how light shines greatest in darkness. The smallest amount of hope becomes paramount. I felt the darkness trying to cling to me as I turned the pages. I rejoiced when something good happened and welcomed the light.
Summe
Dick
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very freightening novella about the results om an EMP on a group of young adults in LA. There are many groups of dangerously bad people who have sprung up since the EMP.
There is one young lady who has a great deal of experience with the two worst of these groups and she is met by another five young people who want her to help them get out of LA. She is not excited about the prospects of helping these kids who have little or no knowledge of the changes that have happened.
She experiences a bit
S.T. Williams
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am so enthralled by Summer Lane's apocalypse, the post EMP world she has created sucked me in from the first pages of State of Emergency. I find Elle's story every bit as fascinating as I have found Cassidy's to be (and slightly more realistic) the only issue I had with this novella is that it is exactly that...a novella..it was too short too quick I want more!! ...more
Meghann
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, apocalyptic, dystopian, war
This is a great little story about Elle who is trying to survive after a group named Omega takes over the US. Not only does she have to avoid them but also gangs and other bad people. She meets up with other teenagers and they have to decide where they need to go. I don't usually like short stories but this one was actually good and I want to read the next part of this series. ...more
Michelle McPherson
day zero

Small but enticing, leaving you wanting more! Being a quick read the characters are still well developed and you will want there to be more pages to answer some of the questions the different groups in the book leave you with!
Abigail Ziegler
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
awesome, good to see some of the secondary characters from the state of emergency series pop up.
Michelle
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review coming!! Awesome!! I always enjoy Summers books. She is blessed with writing skills!! :)
Nicole Nasholm
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great novella! The author did a great job at character development. I cant wait for Day One!
Sandy Benton
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Another winner by Summer Lane. An inside look at Elle from the Collapse series. Can't wait for the next installment.
Dawn Taylor
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I love Summer Lane. Her writing style gives you a vivid picture you feel like you are living the events.
Celeste
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved Elle! Was introduced to her in the Collapse series. So glad I got to learn her backstory! She's one strong young woman. ...more
Sandy Blackwell
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed all of Summer Lane's books and this is no exception. ...more
Isabel.
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
It was not a bad book , it's just that I don't like books with teens as the protagonist , I find them annoying. ...more
ysar
May 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
FicCentral.com

Elle has been on her own since society collapsed and the modern world we've become accustomed to became a thing of past. Now scavenging for canned goods, hiding in abandoned buildings, and trying to escape the notice of armed gangs and the brutal new order has become the only way to live through each day. But for the first time since the world ended, she’s come across a group of survivors she just might stick with, and together, they’ll search somewhere safe.

The Verdict: I’ve read some really gr
Kate Mary
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
My rating: 3.5 stars

Day Zero follows Elle, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been alone and in hiding, trying to survive after the world has fallen apart. After months of being alone, Elle runs into another group of teens and very reluctantly decides to help them out. This is a companion novella to Summer Lane’s Collapse series.

Like with the Collapse series, I really enjoyed the concept of this story. I’m a big fan of post-apocalyptic stories, and it’s nice to see one that has a slightly different
Andretta Schellinger
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full review on www.fangfreakintasticreviews.com

Day Zero by Summer Lane is a story of perseverance, attitude, conquering your fears, and growing both physically and mentally when set against the worst that humankind can throw at you. All of that is wrapped up in a young girl who finds herself alone at the end of the world, trying to survive in a city that is too big for her, against enemies that outnumber her.

When the world ends, where will you be? who will you be with? Will you be alone or with
Donna
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start

Short but involving. I will read the next one. This is written in the time of the Collapse series which I love, and towards the end even mentions Cassidy Hart and Chris Young. This one begins in southern California and centers around Elle, a 25 year old girl surviving alone who has developed some skills to keep herself alive. She encounters some other young people who are not quite so survival savvy but the thing she notices is although they are orphans they have banded together to for
Lauren (Luna)

Overall I'm not a fan of novellas, and this is novella one of a three part series (why not just put them all together?)
The story follows Elle, an orphaned teenage struggling to survive in a world brought to its knees by some sort of disaster. Her struggles include having to find safe shelter, safe food, avoiding The Klan and dealing with loss.
Another group of kids burst into her life and the struggle becomes harder. Should Elle risk her life for a group of strangers, or should she open her
Andrew Carlson
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Day Zero is the first in a series of novellas by Summer Lane that parallel the action in the Collapse series, featuring Cassidy Hart.

Day Zero follows the action of Elle as she moves about in Santa Monica, hiding from the gangs of people left behind after the city (and the country) was destroyed by an electromagnetic pulse.

The story is a quick read, full of action. There is not much time for Elle to contemplate life when she's trying to find food and avoid capture or death.

If you have read the
Alan Skarica
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really into this particular genre and have read pretty much everything on the topic this is very believable and characters really well-developed I enjoyed it.

I've read a lot in this particular genre and found the book hard to put down and the characters well-developed.
I'm on book 3 now Read book two in one afternoon.
Lauren Cardon
A decent story, but very weak writing.
dolly whiddon
Day zero

It looked like to be a good book to read . And it was a lot of action , I couldn't put it down until I was through with it.
Jenna
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was not feeling this one, read until 55% can’t get into this story. The characters don’t appeal to me.

• Above the Hush
  • End of Summer (Seasons of Man #1)
  • I'm Keith Hernandez
  • Broken Angels
  • Snow & Ash (Endless Winter #1)
  • Rushed
  • Ordinary (Exceptional, #3)
  • Rogue (Exceptional, #2)
  • You Are Special (Wemmicksville, #1)
  • Fighting Syndrome
  • Odd Billy Todd
  • The School of Life Guide to Modern Manners
  • Inferno (Elemental Mates #2)
  • Asylum Mine
  • Flight and Fantasy
  • Red Run
  • Familiar with the Warlock
  • Sun & Smoke: An Endless Winter Novel
Summer Lane is the #1 bestselling author of 27 hit books, including the smash-hit Collapse Series. The final installment of the series, STATE OF HOPE, released June 2017. Summer is also the author of the bestselling adventures of the Zero Trilogy, Bravo Saga, Unbreakable SEAL, Collapse: The Illustrated Guide, and Vigilante. Running with Wolves (historical thriller) was released September 22, 2017. ...more

The Zero Trilogy (3 books)
  • Day One (The Zero Trilogy Book 2)
  • End of Day (The Zero Trilogy Book 3)