Start by marking “Spectaculaire zonden: en hun wereldwijde betekenis voor de verheerlijking van Christus” as Want to Read:

'Laat God de ellende maar gebeuren?' 'Waar is zijn machtige hand?' En wat hebben de verschrikkingen en rampen die in de Bijbel beschreven worden te maken met het dagelijks leven van christen? Hoewel God niet op alle vragen over zonde en lijden een antwoord heeft gegeven, geeft zijn Woord wel duidelijkheid als het gaat om 'spectaculaire' zonden en de gruwelijke tragedies va ...more
Published April 9th 2013 by Van Wijnen - Franeker (first published September 12th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Spectaculaire zonden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spectaculaire zonden

Start your review of Spectaculaire zonden: en hun wereldwijde betekenis voor de verheerlijking van Christus
Ted Tyler
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST-READ! Short book, less than 120 pages, and it only takes about 2.5-3 hours to read through at a slow, thorough pace. The BEST book that I have read in 2017!

I was drawn to this book by the provocative title. How can sin be anything but spectacular? John Piper makes the compelling case that throughout Scripture, God is using man's rebellion and failures to set the stage and to foreshadow the coming of the Messiah. He looks at Adam, Babel, Joseph, the kings of Israel, and Judas a
Kara Larson
Read for a Christian Education (CE) class at Redeemer. Mind blowing...

"The apex of evil was the apex of grace."
"You meant, God meant." God doesn't react to what man meant. God is acting in what man is doing.
"He does all things for his glory and names sake."
"God's plan to save as through grace was not a response to human decisions to sin. Saving grace was the plan that made sin necessary."
"The aim of this book has been to show that over and over in the history
Brantley Rutz
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet. Piper does a fantastic job of expounding on the Biblical truth that God's hand is at work in this world and not just in the "good" events. God is sovereign over all; even the evil events. This is shown most perfectly in the death of His Son Jesus; the greatest act of sin ever.

Piper's purpose in writing is to strengthen "wimpy Christians." The truth of the matter is is that this world is full of trials and tragedies and we need a strong sense of God's sovereignty in t
Nat
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to understand "why?"
Shelves: religious, kindle
This is one of Piper's easier books to read. Adapted from a series of messages, it's also short as well. I read it in less than four hours.

Why does God allow sin? Why does God allow Satan to get away with what he does? Why not destroy sin when it first appeared in Satan and/or man?

These are some of the questions that Piper attempts to answer using "spectacular sins" in the Bible (the fall, tower of Babel, Joseph being sold into slavery, Israel's demand for a king, and the
Andrea
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book is a life- and heart-changer. In a little over 100 pages, Piper walks us through Scripture explaining how God's purpose is behind the most "spectacular sins," not as an afterthought or a plan to make do, but from the overflow of his wisdom and holiness. The author shows how God has planned for every sin (like Babel, the selling of Joseph into slavery, the Israelite's insistence on having a human king, Adam's fall, etc.) to play a God-glorifying role in Christ's redemptive work on ...more
Jon Pentecost
Helpful, brief consideration of how God is sovereign even over the greatest tragic sins in the world, and how he works all things for his glory and our good.

Side benefit is as Piper examines different 'spectacular sins' that primarily occur in the OT, he helps show how the arc of scripture is building toward Christ himself.

Highly recommend as devotional and encouraging book.
Bill
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
John Piper addresses the profoundly difficult topic of sin and how it relates to God's glory and plan for history by examining a series of passages, based on a sermon series. Initially I was dissatisfied with this piecemeal approach, wishing Piper would give a more systematic and comprehensive answer. On reflection though, I think it's a helpful, biblical way to address the topic. The Bible doesn't give a neat, simple answer, yet in the scope of scripture a basic truth is evident - sin yet serve ...more
Ryan Hawkins
I loved this book way more than I expected I would. I knew the premise–that Piper was showing that God allows and uses sins for his sovereign purposes–but I didn’t expect it to be so interesting and convincing. As a result, it wasn’t just a book about that, but it was a book which showed that God truly does have his major purpose as exalting Christ, and that God truly is sovereign over all things. He ordains and permits, not just foresees.

To this end, I would heartily recommend this
Michael Schmid
In this short book, John Piper shows God's sovereignty even over the worst of sins that are committed and how ultimately even those sins do not diminish God's glory, but actually contribute to His glory. A difficult subject to handle, but an important one for Christians to understand.
Chris Lyman
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Definitely a book I will read again! Quick read. I read it on the plane!
DeVante Neal
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular Sins and Their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ is a title that nails down the theme of this work. Here, Piper deals with questions regarding how we are to deal with sin in the world. He observes the fall of Satan, the fall of man, the pride of Babel, Joseph’s unjust suffering, Israel’s rejection of God as King, and Judas’ betrayal of Jesus.

It is important to note that the chief aim of this book is not to just answer a variety of theological and philosophical questio
Sangster
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In any world that we might live in, sin is something that doesn't glorify God, you can call it in whatever religion. Piper in this book brings Sin as a major player in redemptive history. Not that Sin is glorified, but rather God is Glorified through Sin.

The bottomline that the Book speaks about is the sovereignty of God over everything, including sin.

This book has helped me to understand Sovereignty and that God uses Sin of any for his glory. yet with all that, God holds everyone accountable
Amber
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A great little book - it’s a perfect read for Holy Week, 8 chapters in 8 days. Starts out a little difficult to read, but once you get a few chapters deep, you can’t put it down. This book is jam-packed with spiritual truth and biblical context for how God is intricately involved and at work in the midst of sin and suffering and is ultimately redeeming it for His glory.
Margaret Wolfinbarger
This may be the most important book I have ever read. Or maybe it was just really helpful for a difficult time in our lives. After the murder of a friend, and other difficulties, I sought to understand why God allows these things. The answer was found in these pages. For His glory. I found incredible comfort in John Piper's very clear prose. Every sin has a purpose. Even my own.
Robert Varner
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church
This book is about how great sin exists for the purpose of making Christ famous. He picks the greatest sins in human history to accomplish this thesis: The fall of satan, the fall of Adam, The Tower of Babel, Judas’ betrayal of Jesus, etc. Each one serves a purpose in showing how great sin is not just a part of God’s ultimate plan in creation, but is used for the glory and fame of Christ.
Anne
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
Piper summarizes this book best in saying, “the aim of this book has been to show that over and over in the history of the world, the epoch-making sins that changed the course of history never nullified but only fulfilled the global purposes of God to glorify his Son and save his people.
Jake Weihrauch
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you find yourself asking the question, "Why does God allow wicked sin?" I recommend you pickup this book and read it. Scholars and babes in Christ will benefit from reminders and new truths.
Sam
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacob O'connor
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was reading Spectacular Sins when the Orlando massacre happened. It was timely, because Piper is taking on this very problem. Where is God when something like this happens? How do we make sense of it, and how should we respond?

A young man acts in cold-blooded violence, remorselessly gunning down dozens of defenseless people. They had done him no wrong. In dismay, our rallying cry was to pray for Orlando, but in the hours to follow we wondered... pray to whom?

There were three "gods" at work o
Jordan Hill
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there was any book that's I could recommend to the casual reader it's this. It's theologically solid from beginning to end, but it's not overly wordy. It gave me a whole new perceptive, and I've ended up buying the audiobook and have it on my phone currently. Great book!
Sherly Holmes
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, christian
And Christ "will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him." (Heb 9:28). And "on his robe and on his thigh he has a name written"---not king of the Jews, but "King of all kings and Lord of lords." (Rev. 19:16). Amen. Come, King Jesus.

I was paralysed the whole time I was reading this passage from the book. Perhaps, the truth that someday all of the pain we suffer now will become just mere phantoms and justice will come to every one of
Dhinesh
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw this  title I couldn't grasp its meaning. When I read through the chapters I was awestruck by the depth of its meaning.
Piper gives profound explanation of how the most spectacular sins ever committed since the beginning of this world serves and exist to glorify Christ through all ages and ages to come.

This book totally has 8 chapters each stating the most spectacular sin ever committed against God by human and angels (lucifer and his army) and how God allowed or per
Hannah Emory
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: closefriends
I love when an author is able to take Scripture and tie it all together, revealing what sometimes feels like a vast narrative as a tightly woven story with one coherent aim and message: the revelation and glory of Jesus Christ.

I am struggling with many questions about suffering, sin, and God's sovereignty and this book is a great primer, an invitation to knowing God more through these very difficult, sometimes unanswerable questions instead of walking away in despair because the questions are o
In this short book, John Piper calls the church to prepare for suffering.

Are you ready?

Scripture tells us that the Christian life involves joy and pain, fellowship and persecution, contentment and suffering. We are to be always joyful and always sorrowful - content in all circumstances.

How? Piper makes the case that sound understanding of the truth - deep understanding and acceptance that God is sovereign and in control - is an anchor holding us secure during the blows of lif
Matthew Richardson
As I read the chapters of this book I suspected John Piper was laboring for one goal: The reader's perseverance. And it proved true his closing statement was this, "Maintaining the joy of faith in the face of horrific evil does not happen by coasting. It happens by conquering. That is my aim. That you would conquer unbelief and despair in the face of spectacular sin and misery. To that end, I would like to pray for you."

He says this, "Wimpy worldviews make wimpy Christians. And wimpy
Lorraine
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
The thing that drew me to this book was primarily its title - Spectacular Sins. That, and the fact that I saw it lying around my parents' house while I was there on vacation. In this book, Piper looks at some of the evils we find in the Bible such as betrayal and murder which culminate in the death of Jesus Christ.

His two impulses in the writing of this book are 1.) Why does God want us to know His sovereignty over sin? And 2.) Why does God not restrain sin more often? I appreciate that in addr
Ben Holloway
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to John Piper, spectacular sins "never nullify the decisive, Christ-exalting purposes of God… spectacular sins do not just fail to nullify God’s purpose to glorify Christ, they succeed, by God’s unfathomable providence, in making his gracious purpose come to pass.” (17). Piper shows us how through the stories of Babel, Joseph, David, and Judas.

Piper is sharp, to the point, and pastoral in tone. He tells us that he writes not for the head but for the preparation of the saints for impen
Cody Alan
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular book. It brings together in a simple read, the major categories of evil that we can think of today. Adam's fall, Satan and demons, the cross, the betrayal of Judas, our personal sin, Joseph's slavery, etc. and expounds upon them in such a way that I will never again think of evil as simply "bad, negative, unfortunate" without seeing it through the window of God's grand purposes and always realizing God is behind all of it, ordained it, not just in a Calvinist theology way, but in a w ...more
David
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you think when somebody intentionally hurts you? An ex ruins your finances? A co-worker spoils your reputation? A company for profit terminates your job leaving your family helpless? A senseless tragedy strikes you to the core? Wimpy theology leads to wimpy Christians.
If you have ever wondered where God is when suffering comes your way, when indescribable evil strikes your core, then this book will give you convictions from theology, courage for your fears, and comfort from the pro
Brandon Bellinghausen
I wanted to give this a 3.5 rating, but since I don't have this option here, I rounded up.

Piper has such a wonderful, glorious, and joyful grasp of the sovereignty of God in all things. As he walks through the biblical examples of how these 'spectacular sins' serve their broader purpose in God's plan for the world, you cannot help but be in awe of the God who uses even the most egregious sins to serve his glory and the greater good.

It really is amazing how poor eschatology permeates many of th
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • For the Fame of God's Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • How Long, O Lord?: Reflections on Suffering and Evil
  • From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective
  • Gospel Deeps: Reveling in the Excellencies of Jesus
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
  • The Gospel & Personal Evangelism
  • The Truth of the Cross
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • For Calvinism
  • Easy Chairs, Hard Words
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and a Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
“It seems to me that Christians in the West are being coddled. We suffer little in the name of Christ. Therefore, we read the Bible not with a desperate hunger for evidences of God’s triumph in pain, but with a view to improving our private pleasures.” 5 likes
“It isn't the size of the window that determines how much you see. It's which way the window is facing, and how close you are, and whether the glass is clear.” 4 likes