Start by marking “Personhood: The Art of Being Fully Human” as Want to Read:
Personhood: The Art of Being Fully Human

Personhood: The Art of Being Fully Human

In his warm, inviting, and inclusive, style, bestselling author Leo Buscaglia manages to bring a vision of the world together within his warm embrace. Sharing the stories of his travels and his encounters with people all over the world, Buscaglia reminds us that we are all people who have the potential to share ourselves with ourselves as well as others. A lover of life an ...more
Published April 12th 1986 by Ballantine Books (first published August 13th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Personhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personhood

Start your review of Personhood: The Art of Being Fully Human
Gregory
Sep 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this book while in college.
It seems I read a lot of things in college that weren't quite related to college itself.
come to think of it, I believ I got a better education from all of my extra-curricular reading than the college course material itself.
But, this book was (as all of Leo Buscaglia's books are)insightful, insrpiring, funny, and some times even somber.
This book in many ways helped me to feel validated as an individual with much to offer.
Mohamad
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
كتابي زيبا از مرحوم بوسكاليا نويسنده امريكايى ايتاليايي نشر قطره ترجمه خانم گيتي خوشدل با نام ادميت ( هنر به تمامي انسان بودن ) ويژگيهاي انسان كامل را ترسيم كرده است
Lori Frieden
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it
This book changed my life. I read it when I was 18 and again just recently. It's simply written, not overly intellectual or indulgent. It's a short, quick read that I highly recommend.
Sharon
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
In this book, Leo Buscaglia attempts to offer an historic view of the ethical principles that have guided our humanity. He believes that everyone is responsible through their own uniqueness for completing a portion of a vast universal canvas. Full actualization of the world, therefore, depends on one's self-actualization. Consequently, the greatest challenge to all people is to work at being fully human.
Jonny
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
This was literally one of the hardest books I've ever had to read. I'm not exactly sure why that is; I've no doubt that most of it has to do with my own self and how challenging this book is to the way my mind tends to think. But I also think that there is something....off about this book that I can't quite adequately explain. But I'll try.

To give a frame of reference, I came into reading this after loving a few key quotes from Buscaglia ever since I was a teenager. They were sometimes tragic, b
Lily
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I was hoping for a pleasant and humanistic little sweetie given the title, but instead I got pretty simplistic drivel about complex things, outdated explanations of world religions, and some pretty corny, cheesy stories. I did appreciate his explanation of his childhood in a loving, big, generous, generational Italian family, as I can relate. While there is a small amount of wisdom in this book, it's buried in rather silly and boring sentiments.
Saman
امـا در يك عمر، مجال ديدن همه‌ي آن‌چه كه مي‌خواهيم
يا آموختن همه‌ي آن‌چه كه تشنه‌ي دانستنش هستيم وجود ندارد
Elham Taghavimehr
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to have a new look at himself/herself
Recommended to Elham by: Leila
Inspiring words, I love such books.It makes me feel fresh. Strive every day to become fully YOU---this message is quintessential Buscaglia. At his very best in "The Art of Being Fully Human," Leo will uplift and invigorate you with his heartwarming spontaneity, his challenge to follow your dreams, and his inspiration to take new risks
Athena
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
مختصر ، مفید و جامع
Christina Harper
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my 1st book of Leo Buscaglia, although I have seen several quotes of his from past readings. I enjoyed the majority of the book. I skimmed the section on religions due to to the fact I already have a strong faith but I understood/understand that many religions have a common thread of acceptance and personal responsibility to change.

I thought it got wordy but he is an educator/professor so it's par for the style.

It a few great insights into parenting p.38-39, the role of doubt & uncertai
Εβίτα
Με απλό λόγο , μετέφερε σκέψεις που τις θεωρούμε δεδομένες χωρίς να τις έχουμε επεξεργαστεί μέσα μας, με τους γύρω μας, που δεν τις έχουμε μάθει αλλά αναρωτιόμαστε όταν δεν τις καταλαβαίνουμε. Είχε ένα απολογητικό τόνο για το λεξιλόγιο του στην εισαγωγή αλλά μου άρεσε που ένας κύριος, που δεν είναι του χώρου της ψυχολογίας ,μου μίλησε για εύκολα ξεχασμένα ιδεώδη για την ολοκλήρωση που ξεκινά και τελειώνει μέσα μας. Τελικά, εμείς θα σώσουμε την εαυτής μας. Εύκολη ανάγνωση.
Michelle
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Did you ever take life-span development?? Well, in addition to the days it takes a fertilized egg to become a zygote, embryo, etc... and markers for first word, walking, etc... people - after puberty - keep developing!! Who knew?? lol. We can do the emotional work to become adult humans and even face our own mortality vs. stay in stunted adolescence!! Leo Buscaglia was smart enough to realize there ought to maybe be a college course on how. :)
Sara
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
مشکلم با نثر مترجم بود یا تکرار مکررات نویسنده نمیدونم، اما اینکه توی وضعیتی که خیلی از لحاظ روحی بی ثبات بودم کاملا ناگهانی با این کتاب رو به روشدم و با یاداوری یه سری چیزای ساده تونستم کمی روی وضعیت روحیم کنترل داشته باشم به نظرم اثر خودشو گذاشته. برخلاف خیلی از کتابها ادمیت از وسط به بعد مفید و مختصر و تاثیرگذار تر بود. ضمنا، به نظرم بخش جذاب کتاب نقل قول هایی که نویسنده از بقیه میاره.
Dr.Diane Davis
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It teaches the discovery of self. It helped me to understand when I was a young adult that I had a destiny and purpose. This book helped me in finding myself. Because of Dr. Buscaglia book it motivated me to write, publish and to give back what this phenomenon author has given me.
Ioannis
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy read it. I believe I must re-read it again if I truly want to understand the inner meaning.
Suzanne Hess
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful.
Javad Siavashi
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow man, what a book. Shifts your whole perspective about life, to look through all the positive and negative things and still find love and beauty in living as a human.
اسامه بابائی
” به هنگام؛تولد٬ بزرگ‌ترین موهبت -زندگی- به ما عطا می‌شود؛ و به عنوان نخستین هدیه تولد٬ جهانی بی همتا را به ما پیشکش می‌کنند تا در آن زندگی کنیم ”
Waseem
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a fantastic lecture and I was lucky enough (to my knowledge) to get access to the video version of this lecture vs the audio program, nevertheless my first experience with Leo Buscaglia was breathtaking...it made you laugh, connect and desire more with his unique method of coaching which I came to laugh ...I certainly will be looking for more books and work by Leo Buscaglia as this undiscovered gem or not so mainstream media guy should be right up there in the self help field, am surpri ...more
Babarella
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Melissa Eckstrom
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
At the Nix Nax Hostel in Jamaica, the bookshelves are full of inviting titles---from classic novels translated in various languages to studies of the universe. However, it was this book by Leo F. Buscaglia that caught my eye when I went to grab something to read with my morning coffee. It was a very quick read that I found refreshing and it provided a solid reminder to keep pushing to reach my goals during my lifetime. I found myself wanting to write down little snippets and enjoyed reading what ...more
Jenna
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has been in my library for over 14 years—passed down from my parents collections and I've just now decided maybe I'm old/mature enough to appreciate its message... Personhood is a good book to remind us of the purpose of our life at each stage and age. It reminds us that growing old is a privilege and being young an opportunity. It is an older book, but continues to be impactful in today's world and resonates with newer books I've read.
Gina
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I couldn't explain in my journey to maturity and how like scales that have fallen from my eyes I have begun to live a fully functioning life, the author explained in crystal clear sentences; he found words to say things I've been wanting to explain to others. A profound reading that was truly enjoyable.
Nubia
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is a good description about human nature, similarities and diferences of religious believes and the author's point of view about how love can help.

Contiene una buena descripcion de la naturaleza humana. Y los puntos de vista del autor acerca de como el amor puede ayudar.
Christopher Miller
It was very good
Hugo Juarez
Oct 20, 2014 marked it as to-read
Solo quiero leer el libro porque tengo tarea pendiente.
Martine
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Buscaglia shows how similar we all are in our experience in being human, and how we should support each other and grow from our experiences.
Lisa Sellers
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cursillo
Awesome!
Yaaresse
I think this was a read for college psychology. He was quite popular in the 80s.

Alex
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books and spiritual writers. Highly recommend it to anyone who wishes to learn about religions, spirituality and stages in life.
Goodreads Librari...: Add book cover 10 104 Jan 30, 2020 05:56PM

• The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Kassandra and the Wolf
  • The Wives
  • The Book of Disquiet: The Complete Edition
  • Eat Mangoes Naked: Finding Pleasure Everywhere (and dancing with the Pits)
  • Why We Broke Up
  • Can Love Last?: The Fate of Romance over Time
  • Together, Closer: The Art and Science of Intimacy in Friendship, Love, and Family
  • Succulent Wild Love: Six Powerful Habits for Feeling More Love More Often
  • Love Is Letting Go of Fear
  • The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients
  • Crush
  • Good Morning, Midnight
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
  • The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #4)
  • Internal Family Systems Therapy
  • Healing Trauma: Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body
  • Korean Beauty Secrets: A Practical Guide to Cutting-Edge Skincare and Makeup
known as "Dr. Love"

Dr. Felice Leonardo Buscaglia Ph.D. was a professor in the Department of Special Education at the University of Southern California. He was a graduate of Theodore Roosevelt High School (Los Angeles).

Leo Buscaglia authored a number of New York Times bestselling inspirational books on love and human reticences on the subject, including The Fall of Freddie the Leaf, Bus 9 to Paradi

News & Interviews

“We find we have little to guide us in our search and must put trust in the only power we have, that natural instinct that propels us toward creation, choice, liberation and change. We must yield to the challenge of becoming fully human and trust in our human processes in the hope that they will lead us there. Out challenge then is clear, to make as much of the illusion as possible a reality. After all, our reality is not more than what was once our illusion.” 3 likes
“We find we have little to guide us in our search and must put trust in the only power we have, that natural instinct that propels us toward creation, choice, liberation and change. We must yield to the challenge of becoming fully human and trust in our human processes in the hope that they will lead us there. Our challenge then is clear, to make as much of the illusion as possible a reality. After all, our reality is no more than what was once our illusion.” 0 likes