Start by marking “Shiver the Whole Night Through” as Want to Read:
Shiver the Whole Night Through

Shiver the Whole Night Through

After months of bullying and romantic heartbreak, seventeen-year-old Aidan Flood feels just about ready to end it all. But when he wakes up one morning to find that local beauty and town sweetheart Sláine McAuley actually has, he discovers a new sense of purpose, and becomes determined to find out what happened to her. The town is happy to put it down to suicide, but then ...more
Published November 6th 2014 by Hot Key Books (first published November 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shiver the Whole Night Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shiver the Whole Night Through

Start your review of Shiver the Whole Night Through
Melanie
This was a big pile of blurgh.

No really there's no other way to describe how I'm feeling right now.
Lauren
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Read my full review with GIFs on my blog Lauren Reads YA.

Trigger Warning: self-harm

I really, really wanted to like this book, but I ended up severely disappointed. This book is so incredibly cringe-worthy, I spent at least the last 50 pages or so facepalming.

As we all expect from a typical YA paranormal (romance): our main character gets into a relationship with a supernatural creature, in this case a ghost. This has always been weird to me, especially since Anna Dressed In Blood. Can we please
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

*This review also appears on my blog Genie In A Book*

Thank you to Five Mile Press Australia for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Shiver the Whole Night Through didn't quite tick all the boxes for me, but the chilling setting in the woods and Irish influence, along with a darker paranormal twist towards the end did give it some positive points.

Unfortunately one of the reasons why I didn't rate this book higher was Aidan's character and the
Cheska the Great is Not Okay
It didn't really meet my expectations.

I was expecting it would have a subtler supernatural theme to it but with a contemporary storyline: Slaine would communicate with Aiden mysteriously from the dead by writing I didn't kill myself on his frosted window and other little things like that--I didn't actually expect Slaine to appear to him as a ghost and talk to him and live in a cabin with him, for Pete's sake--and that Slaine was murdered by someone and it was up to Aiden to prove who it was.
Tash
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Reviewed for Confessions From Romaholics

I wanted to love Shiver Through the Night and three quarters way through the book, I was totally enjoying this book . Even thought the narrative voice of Aidan Flood the loner came across as a little whinny kid. Until the changes brought forth to try and wrap up the book and it went downhill from there. I get the reason of creating this whiner protagonist that seems to find everything wrong in his world, he had his life turn upside down in the last year.
Inah
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I seem to be on a pattern lately. The last three books I’ve read, including this one all have something in common: murder. Don’t worry, I’m not going crazy or something. Hahaha! I’m just a completely normal teenager enjoying mystery novels lately.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It kind of gave me the creeps while reading it. I particulary enjoyed reading this one night last week, when I was wide awake around 1AM. Really, the time added some effect to the story. Anyway, I haven’t heard about
Kirsti
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
For a book to legitimately scare me is a rarity, and one honour I've only ever really bestowed on Stephen King in the past. But I was reading this until 11 last night, with my window open, and jumping at every noise and gust of wind! I also think I dreamed of it too, and at once stage when my partner did his usual throw an arm over anything near and draw it in, in his sleep mind you, I think I reacted rather violently. Hah, nice.

Firstly I loved the setting. The rugged, isolated town. I never
Dominic Kearney
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is instantly gripping, has characters you care about, and touches on important issues. Set in an isolated town in the west of Ireland, it draws on Celtic imagery and folklore and serves it up with a contemporary twist. It does what every good book should do - when you get to the bottom of the page, you want to read the next one. Narrowly misses out on five stars, but you get the sense of an author getting to know his characters and setting. The next one will be ...more
Kirsty
Nov 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
I think this is going to be a DNF for me. Not because it is awful but because I'm not interested enough to want to finish it when I have other books in the house I am dying to read. Might come back to it at some point.
Leanne Wain
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Originally posted at http://mythoughtsaboutbooks.blogspot....

I’ve had this in my giant Read For Work When You Get The Chance pile under my desk since it came in based entirely on the title. I was expecting something gloomy and noir, a murder mystery with Twin Peaks forest vibes and potential Leadbelly/Nirvana soundtracks.

Kind of. It wasn’t as noir as I expected, and I certainly wasn’t expecting a character investigating their *own murder*. Shiver The Whole Night Through is essentially a
Tahieuba Latif
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Check out my blog Latif Reviews

WARNING. MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.
Bullied and heartbroken for several months, seventeen-year-old Aidan Flood is on the verge of suicide. But his plan is put on hold when the local sweetheart, the beautiful Sláine McAuley ends up dead, in the haunted Shook Woods. The police think she died of hyperthermia, literally frozen to death. Taking his mind of his own problems, Aidan is curiously drawn to her investigation and confirms something is dark at bay when one night he
Helen
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-worth-it
I wanted to love this book as soon as I had finished reading the blurb. But when I finished the book, I was left with nothing but disappointment. The blurb implied that the genre was mainly a murder-mystery and for the first few chapters it was. But as time went on more and more supernatual sub plots were made until it engulfed the book entirely.
Georgia Lord
Sep 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
As sickly as Twilight - but ghosts not vampires.

You read the back of this book thinking it's going to be a thrilling murder mystery but it's just about this thoroughly weird relationship a human and a ghost have with just a side-sprinkling of actual plot.
Joanne Holyoake
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
First time reading this author, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sally
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, black-humour, horror, ya
This book has hooks that would catch a GREAT WHITE SHARK! Whilst the premise unravels, it seems to be pretty unlikely and I found myself doubting that I would be able to properly invest in it enough to enjoy it properly, but the attention to detail on the main character's back story found me rooting for Aidan and wanting to help him accept his own flaws and be able to move on.

There was nothing wrong with me, and there never was.It was others who had the problem. I was fine, i was normal and
Pdrg
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I rarely give a book 5 stars so 4 stars is as good as it gets for me. I don't read Young Adult fiction, and I avoid supernatural books like ebola, HOWEVER I loved Shiver the Whole Night Through. The book when you list out what happens would be the kind of book I would hate, for example, quasi-vampires, people who come back from the dead, serial attacks, and a lot of pathetic fallacy, but what I loved about the book was the central character of Aidan. I teach teenagers every day, I know the way ...more
Dolf Patijn
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a young adult book. Now, I don't consider myself a young adult anymore, far from it, but I read young adult books before like "The Hunger Games" and really liked it so I thought I give this one a go.

This book is a ghost story, with themes like bullying, suicide and friendship woven into it.
Darragh McManus is an Irish writer and his turn of phrase and choice of words are very Irish. The style is chatty, which suited the book very well most of the time but also prevented tension from
Lucy
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I had all intentions of finishing this book, but I have to say, I couldn't even get on with the names of the characters and I had to keep going back to the translations to see how it was read.

I don't understand why they called the lead character such a complicated name, that you had to have a translations page added in. This annoyed me greatly, which is surprising as I've read a great many books with characters names of great diversity.

I sadly abandoned this book after I couldn't get even 30%
Bookread2day
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best supernatural stories that I have read.
I was deeply touched by seventeen year old Aidan Flood been bullied at school leading him to want to take his own life.
Aidan is woken up by his mother and given some awful news that a girl Slaine McAuley who went to his school has been found dead in Shook Woods. In the middle of the nigh Aidan sees a note scratched in ice on his bedroom window saying I didn't kill myself.
Something has told Aidan to go to the Woods to the spot where
Ash
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
The only things I really liked about this book was one, how Darragh McManus got the average teenage boy completely right, two, how decent and wonderful Podsy is and three, the irishness of this story. I liked how he expressed tragedy, both in the sense of love and dying. The writing was meh and the writer tried to be poetic but a lot of the time it didn't work. The ending made absolutely no sense and the story took so many weird turns in the last 50 pages that it just lost me. I feel like this ...more
Lucy
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
A young man in a small town is haunted by the strange death of a fellow student. Deciding to investigate he uncovers something very strange and disturbing.
The characters were fairly interesting but I didn't think the plot was very strong. I don't generally enjoy supernatural fiction so that is probably why I didn't enjoy it.
I think if you enjoy supernatural/thriller fiction with elements of romance then this would be for you.
Lee
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I saw this book a few times in the library before I decided to give a go. I wasn't too sure of what I thought about it reading the blurb on the back. So I went into it with quite an open mind. After just finishing it I'm going to say I think I liked it. Yes I did say I think. To be honest I'm not too sure. The story was good but it was a little strange to say the least. Maybe I just don't appreciate a good paranormal mystery. Give it a go and see what you think, I think you might like it.
Amber Wendy
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this gritty debut that is part noir murder mystery, part ghost story with a nice dash of romance in an unexpected way.
Aidan is a an eloquent yet edgy character that feels real and relateable and there is also a fantastic exploration of history, where the whole town has a grim backstory, a sordid past that when examined closely is just down right scary!
if I could it would be four and a half stars!!
Sue
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
A very enjoyable paranormal romance with a murder mystery. Great writing, engaging storyline, interesting characters and an intriguing mystery. The opening chapter pulled me into the story and the ending was a complete surprise. Recommended reading, especially if you liked the Hereafter series.
Raimy
Nov 02, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dnf
DNF for me I'm afraid. The story was intriguing me but the narration bugged me too much to continue.
Fredzed
Dec 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
wow.
Shohan
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved the book! I was hooked!
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
3.5! I really did enjoy this, and it was a great, gritty debut novel, but had a few little problems.. Full review soon on the blog:D
HardcoverHeroines
rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2018
Simon Greening
Oct 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• V for Vendetta, Vol. I of X (V for Vendetta, #1)
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
  • The Grownup
  • Moby-Dick or, the Whale
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Lying in Wait
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Doctors from Hell: The Horrific Account of Nazi Experiments on Humans