Start by marking “The Fire Seer (Coalition Of Mages, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fire Seer (Coalition Of Mages, #1)

The Fire Seer

(Coalition Of Mages #1)

Taya has risen from humble roots to become a fire seer in the Coalition of Mages. Eager to prove herself, she arrives in the town of Hrappa to locate a “jackal” - a mage operating outside the Coalition’s authority - who has murdered three people.

But in Hrappa, she discovers that the man assigned to be her bodyguard is Mandir, her nemesis from years ago. When she and Mandir

Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 266 pages
Published August 25th 2014 by Amy Raby (first published January 1st 2014)

Talltree
5 stars for the unique culture and worldbuilding!
4 stars for the mystery,
4 stars for the pragmatic yet kind h,
3 stars for the (bully) romance - not my fav trope:(

An overall 3.5 stars!
Stacey
Jul 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
The first thing that struck me about this book is: short riding pants?? I'm not much of a horseback rider, but that just seems scratchily uncomfortable.

My feelings hardly changed throughout the portion that I did read (I did not finish). Some phrasing was awkward, as in the instance of "five fingers," which seemed a bit repetitive, since "fingers" implies all of them, does it not? Usually numbered fingers equal fewer than five. "Indignance" is not a word. [pause for double-check] Okay, apparent
Mei
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An insteresting fantasy/mystery/magic adventure.

I liked it. I really did!

It was easy to read, the mystery was interesting and the way magic worked even more! Nothing exceptional, but still very enjoyable!
Jaclyn
The Fire Seer is a tough book to review and it's one that I had mixed feelings about. Not only does this one fall into a number of genres it also features a somewhat troubling romance. That said, I did enjoy reading this one and I found the ancient world, filled with magic to be interesting, especially since a woman seems to hold equal status as a man, something that I would not have expected in a more antiquated setting.

Taya is from a low, farmer caste, only her capability as a fire seer has al
manda
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
blog | goodreads

I don't know how this book doesn't have more reviews. It's quite a hidden gem! Fantasy inspired by Egyptian culture, it was definitely different than most other fantasy novels out there, and showcases a cast of POC characters.

The Fire Seer was a double win for me because I love murder-mysteries, and I also love fantasy. This book has both. Taya is a fire seer appointed to investigate a series of murders, discover the jackal behind it, and put the perpetrator to justice.

Not only d
Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts)
The Fire Seer was a great and original read for me. I really enjoyed the lore that was weaved throughout the story and the building of this world. The changing POV between Taya and Mandir really made this story a whole lot better, seeing through each characters eyes helped to make them feel more alive. I also enjoyed the chapters devoted to the past, which helped to explain the circumstances between Taya and Mandir.

Taya was an interesting heroine, she obviously had a lot of struggles to get ove
Jessi
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Winner of the Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense in 2012, The Fire Seer kicks off a new fantasy series by Amy Raby. Like in Raby's Hearts and Thrones series, she does an amazing job of world-building and balancing character and plot in a way that keeps me flying through the pages. This series starter has me slavering for more!

The Fire Seer is about Taya, a girl who grew up poor in a farmer caste. But she was singled out by a fire goddess and blessed with magical ability.
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it

Well I didn't hate this and I didn't love it either. I did really enjoy certain parts of it, mostly the setting. It's a historical fantasy type setting, loosely based on an ancient middle eastern city. There is the ruling class, the merchants class and then the farming class. The main character Taya comes from the farming class, a date plantation in particular. And the current story centers around a banana plantation. In this story, Taya is a recent graduate of the Coalition which is the entity
BJ
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: good
Fantasy, where H bullied the h, and almost killed her. Hard to turn him into an hero, and it is barely border line by end of the book. He has so much to learn and she's not an adult either. There is a murder mystery for them to solve and as well as come to terms with their history. It was good, but for me, a little too YA?
Tynga
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amy Raby, author of the Hearts and Thrones series, delivered another great historical fantasy story. Set in the mystical city of Hrappa, this novel’s basis were launched from a series of discovery on the ancient city, and became so much more in Raby’s hands. Her personal blend of fantasy mixed with her great talent to deliver raw emotions, were just the thing to ensnare me from the start.

The Coalition has complete control over magic and Taya came to their temple for training when she developed p
Claudia
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Taya is from a low, farmer caste, only her capability as a fire seer has allowed for her to move upward in this society. Unfortunately, because of her caste she is a target at the school where she studies. The most vocal of these bullies is Mandir, bastard son of a noble, who is so confused by his attraction to Taya that he reacts by centering her out. This bullying is not harmless and Taya almost dies because of one of their tricks.
They meet again five years later on their first job and have to
Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
This was great! Wow, I've been really behind on writing reviews lately! Shame on me...

This book is a romance, a fantasy, and a mystery. At least I think that's all. The romance was wonderful. The two had went to a magical school to train with their powers. Back then, Mandir was absolutely horrible to Taya. His tricks and pranks almost got her killed. You can say she's NOT happy to see him as her accomplish on her mission. Mandir hasn't had the easiest childhood and he didn't know how to express
Puddlyduck
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fire Seer featured interesting world-building, a unique magic system and a more unusual journey to romance, and I absolutely loved it. Is it perfect? No, but the book is such a fresh entry into the world of magical gifts, caste societies and features a pair with so much baggage in their past history. It was a pleasure to peel back each layer to find another beneath it.

I can't wait to read more about this world, as there were some elements that I wished had been expanded upon, to the detriment o
Gabriela Zotou
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
All in all a great book and well written.I just think that it'snot posible that she started loving him so soon after hating him for somany years!In my opinion the author wanted a happy ending but things dont normally happen so fast!
Sheena Snow
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good

Well written and interesting. I enjoyed the relationship between the hero and heroine and growth within themself that lead them to growing and healing their relationship
Marlene
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This joint review was originally published at The Book Pushers

Thoughts on the heroine:

Marlene: I like Taya. I understand her concerns and worries about performing well on her first assignment, and can sympathize with her desire to finally spread her wings and do well. Her memories of Mandir’s behavior when they were at school together chilled me to the bone. I enjoyed that she was from a different background, and wasn’t the traditional noble. Her farmer upbringing and her everywoman’s perspectiv
Theo
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is more a 3.5, but I am feeling generous with this book. The reason for this rating is that I absolutely love history based stories. This is by no means a perfect book, the writing flows nicely, but the story lacks in the romance department. Honestly, I started reading this book because the love relationship between the main characters seemed interesting , but now if I think about it, if the author would have replaced the love story with a friendship one I wouldn't have mind it at all. The ro ...more
Alexandra G.
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, loved-it

This book was nice and easy. I've had some difficulty with the strange magic language and the names but otherwise it was an enjoyable read.
We have a strong female protagonist, an interesting and fascinating mythology, a murder mystery and a love/hate romance. What more could you ask for?
The murder "case" Taya and Mandir had to solve was pretty well done and I was happy to realize at some point that I only had 30% more to read and I still didn't know who the murderer was!
For me it real
Linda Gavino
I liked this better than her other series, but I feel like maybe I’m just not compatible with this type of story telling. Raby builds an interesting fantasy world with an intricate and intriguing magical system... and then fills it with unlikeable characters that I don’t care about at all. The rest is an bleh mystery sprinkled with strange, simplistic social commentary (usually given by the main characters). It’s just not my cup of tea
Lethevert
A gripping story full of mystery, thrill, magic and a pinch of romance. Felt like any Hollywood action/thriller movie with a strong woman-man duo, who work together to defeat crime, and after all the explosions are done and villains defeated, they get together.
So personally, I'd have liked it to focus more on romance development, but obviously this wasn't that kind of a story.
Suzie Harvey
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
H

It was good. Very interesting take on fantasy. Do not pay attention to this review. Thank you for your time.
Nina Fonteneau-Fuentes
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-own
It's more of a 4.5 but I think it's more for my personal preference so to be fair it's a 5.

The Cotalition is a magical organization that operates in this world that Amy Raby has built. Magical abilities show in children once they hit adolescence and once it is found they must be reported. If for whatever reason they do not report themselves and work magic on their own they are executed no and if or but about it.

Taya is a young woman who was from the farm chaste there are three castes and usually
Jeannie Zelos
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Fire Seer, (Coalition Of Mages 1), Amy Raby
Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews
Genre: Romance, Sci-fi, fantasy.
I wasn’t sure I’d like this but I did, I really enjoyed it. Its written in a way like a good YA read in that its very easy to follow, not overly complicated but with plots that twist and turn and take the reader on a real journey.
I liked Taya, she’s worked hard to get where she is despite being bullied during her years of training, and looked down on by her peers from the higher
R.L. Martinez
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Despite the many flaws in this book (right from the beginning) I was really engaged with the story and characters, until about 3/4 of the way through. Then it just seemed to deflate. I'll go through the pros and cons to illustrate:

Pros:

- Good character development. They didn't feel cookie-cutter. And I have to disagree with other reviewers about Mandir, I felt like his change was realistic and believable. And I liked him.

- Two leads didn't spend every second ogling each other and imagining sexin
Jeanie
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
"Fire Seer"

By Amy Rabe

"Magical Henchmen or Empowered Saviors?"

Two magically empowered leading characters enter a mission to find a "jackal" (outlaw) in what seems to be a caste system society. The setting of this book lends the reader their own interpretation of time and place of the story. Imagine a far past time of ruling classes and serving classes or a future society that has embraced a similar caste system.

The book combines mystery, intrigue and moral issues with a smattering of romance thr
Jedi Kitty
Very unique, well illustrated setting. It is loosely based on a lost society bordering the ancient Egyptians. The romance is an important part of the book, but is light fare for a veteran romance reader. The hero bullied the heroine mercilessly while they were in school together, and the story of that bullying is told in flashback throughout the story. We learn that the hero, Mandir, bullied Taya because he liked her but was twisted by his own upbringing and insecurities, and treated her horribl ...more
Betsy
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Fire Seer did not give me the pleasure that Amy Raby's Hearts and Thrones series did. As a fantasy it was interesting, the writing was smooth and evocative. The mystery component was a bit unsurprising, as I think we all knew the bad guy early on in the story. I was most conflicted about the hero and heroine's....romance? They had a long history at school together. It was very very unpleasant. The flashbacks reveal some truly despicable behavior. I found the fact that Taya moved bey
Perspehone
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, especially because it had such a great mystery! I thought the story was unique, and I enjoyed the magic system. I think the author is planning on fleshing it out more in future novels, and I like a world that seems to expand with every book. The concept of the three Goddesses and the 'Great Atrocity' committed against them was nicely done as well. I also enjoyed the relationship between Mandir and Taya - it had a kind of Draco/Hermione or Anne/Gilbert feel in the earl ...more
Dangermousie
I'd love this book for the fact that its fantasy world is not yet another cliché fake medieval setting but a Mesopotamian/Ancient Egyptian mix alone. This is a fascinating period of human civilization that really needs more attention than it gets.

BUT.

It also has an engaging plot, a mystery whose resolution I did not guess too early, a female protagonist that is every bit as awesome as you can wish for, and a complicated male protagonist that I loved. I can see why others thought the romance was
Summer
The setting and world building in this book was very interesting. However I found the the main male character difficult to like and didn't really appear changed from his previous behavior and I became frustrated with the main female character for putting up with it. The romance had barely began building and already I didn't believe it or like it. It seemed too forced and unbelievable given the couple's past.

• By Dark Deeds (Blade and Rose, #2)
  • Soulbound (Dark Arts, #3)
  • The Autumn Fairy (The Autumn Fairy, #1)
  • The Lumatere Chronicles (Lumatere Chronicles, #1-3)
  • The Sorcerer's Wife (The Telepath and the Sorcerer #2)
  • Lord of the Storm (Coalition Rebellion, #1)
  • Enemy's Queen (The Aermian Feuds, #3)
  • The Marigold Chain
  • When We Were Kings (The Wolf of Oberhame, #1)
  • The White Song (Chronicles of the Black Gate #5)
  • Libertine's Kiss (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #1)
  • Touch of Iron (The Living Blade #1)
  • The Prince's Rogue (Golden Guard, #2)
  • At the Going Down of the Sun (Sheridans, #1)
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)
  • The Seven Realms Box Set
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1; Ladies, #1)
  • The Devil's Reprise (Devils, #2)
Amy Raby is literally a product of the U.S. space program, since her parents met working for NASA on the Apollo missions. After earning her Bachelor’s in Computer Science from the University of Washington, Amy settled in the Pacific Northwest with her family, where she’s always looking for life’s next adventure, whether it’s capsizing tiny sailboats in Lake Washington or riding dressage horses. As ...more

Coalition Of Mages (2 books)
  • The Fire Seer and Her Quradum (Coalition of Mages Book 2)
“Once again, she was trapped, with no” 0 likes