Start by marking “Catherine de Valois (The Legendary Women of World History, #2)” as Want to Read:
Catherine de Valois (The Legendary Women of World History, #2)

Read Book* *Different edition

Catherine de Valois

(Legendary Women of World History)

War made her queen of England. Her love for a Welshman made her immortal.

Best known as Henry V's Agincourt bride from Shakespeare's "Henry V," Catherine de Valois was an extraordinary woman of faith, courage, and conviction in an age of politically powerful women.

A younger daughter to King Charles VI of France terrorized by his mental illness, Princess Catherine survived
Published June 16th 2014 by Laurel A. Rockefeller

To ask other readers questions about Catherine de Valois, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catherine de Valois

Start your review of Catherine de Valois (The Legendary Women of World History, #2)
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Historical fiction and historical nonfiction are my favorite genres to read so I'm always searching for new historical books to read. The author of this book about Catherine de Valois kindle provided a sale so I could more easily buy a couple of her books, which I will never stop being thankful for.

I definitely liked this book. It wouldn't say it's the best I've ever read but it was a really quick book that I easily read in one sitting. In fact, once I started reading I couldn't put my Kindle d
Christine Woinich
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of Renaissance Queens by Laurel A Rockefeller while listening to the audiobook version. I enjoyed listening to the telling of Catherine's life. The song as sung by the narrator was very enchanting. I found this book very informative with the facts in between the story. This is a time period I really enjoy.

I was given the audiobook as a gift and without solicitation leave this review.
Debra Lavoie
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Catherine de Valois : Book Two of the Legendary Woman of World History Series

I have a fascination with history and if you do too, you’ll love this short story.
The story of Catherine de Valois is told to Margaret Beaufort; historical facts are woven seamlessly into a vibrant retelling. The short story opens with Margaret’s wedding to Edmund Tudor, and takes us through Catherine’s life, her marriage, the war between France and England, and even more importantly, a personal look into her life.

Laur
Terri
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is about a woman who wanted her beliefs instilled in her children over everything else. Love comes first! Doing what is right is the most important lesson in the world. The daughter of one king and married and widowed by another king, Catherine de Valois gave it all up for love. Her bravery and her honor was carried down to her children.

The author, Laurel A Rockefeller did a good job once again on this short story. Without even trying, the author shows us lessons learned in the past b
Elizabeth
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, kindle
I have read and enjoyed a number of Laurel A. Rockefeller's books in this series. Catherine de Valois is not as well known to me as others.

I like how the author starts with questions from the next generation then replies with all the historical facts dressed as an easily read narrative.

The books are an excellent resource for school age children as well as readers like me who always thirst for knowledge.

I was attracted to the cover then noticed it was drawn by the author. A very talented lady.
Jan
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Clear and fascinating rendition of the life and times of a remarkable woman. Married once for politics and once for love, true to her loyalties to France and to her son, an English king. The tale is presented in a personable manner, thereby robbing it of the feeling of dry European history.
RM does a terrific audio performance which further enlivens the characters, including brief French carols. Well done!
Victoria Zigler
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent read; both enjoyable and educational at the same time, it's a pleasant way to learn a little history, and well worth reading. ...more
Ms Cats World
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
 I admit, England's royal history has always fascinated me along with the House of Valois (France) and the Wars of the Roses Family Tree in-between England's Houses of Lancastrians, Yorkists, and Tudors.

This Legendary Women of World History Book 2 follows the French Princess, and Tudor Matriarch, Catherine de Valois as she sets to marry King Henry V of England, birth Hendry VI of England, be widowed, finally finding true love in Owen Tudor, and finally birthing Edmund Tudor who in turn married
Mark Schultz
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first audio book in very many years, I was immediately pulled into the story! It was so entertaining to learn about this relatively unknown figure from history! Catherine was an amazing woman, she carved out a place in history, despite the very prevalent misogyny of the time period.
Richard Mann’s narration was excellent, the background music and sound effects were good and contributed a great deal to a very pleasurable experience.
I really enjoyed listening to this book. Since my first experi
Katrina Wharton
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
good but too short

I enjoyed reading this but it was way too short. There is so much more of Catherines legacy to be told. Like the fact that she was the great great grandmother of Elizabeth I
Amy
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or my review in any way.

Unlike the previous two books I've reviewed in this series, I knew nothing about Catherine de Valois before picking this book up. That said, I do feel like I know her a lot better now.

I really like the way Rockefeller adds in the dates subtly in the narration. They don't get in the way at all like they've been forced in, instead they flow reall
Susan
Note: Even though this is Book 2 in the series, it works just fine as a stand alone.

Princess Catherine was daughter to France’s King Charles VI, who suffered from mental illness. During her lifetime, she knew the hardships of France’s civil war and England’s King Henry V’s repeated warring in France. Married off to King Henry, peace between the two countries lasted briefly. After King Henry V’s death, Catherine married a Welsh man, Owen Tudor.

Before giving this book a listen, I knew very little
Rabid Readers Reviews
The author, Laurel A. Rockefeller, gave me a copy of this book in exchange for my review.

The stated demographic is grades 2-12. Alex is a 12-year-old who will enter Grade 7 in the upcoming school year. “Catherine de Valois” by Laurel A. Rockefeller was her first exposure to this historical figure. Alex enjoyed that the narrative was a story told to a young bride by the sons of the subject. Rockefeller’s style is very smooth and the anecdotes chosen fit together perfectly. The story led to discus
Teressa
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing

"Catherine de Valois: An Extraordinary Woman "

I absolutely adore this series. CATHERINE DE VALOIS was an impeccably written historical bio that took me back to that period in time. It had a real feel to it that makes me a fan of Laurel Rockefeller for writing about these strong, important women. Her writing style is exceptional.

I love history and listening to this makes me want to learn more about the European women that were wives, mothers, and daughters to Kings and Queens as well as their hei
Melanie Adkins
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Catherine de Valois was made popular in Shakespeare's play Henry V. It did little to showcase who she really was. As a daughter to King Charles VI of France, she knew how things were done. She was to become Queen of England but didn't want to be. It was the only way to save her family. She knew her faith and courage would help her through it all.

This book is well written and researched. As a history buff, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. While it's non-fiction, the author does a superb job of c
Isaiyan Morrison
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I’ve read written by the author. Having an idea of what to expect, I still found myself surprised at the historical content in the book.

Catherine de Valois is the daughter of King Charles VI of France and Queen Isabeau of Bavaria.
The novel takes us through Catherine’s forced marriage. Political motives seemed to dictate her life and I wondered if Catherine receive just one second of blissful happiness to make her tribulations and struggles seem worthwhile.

If you love hist
Elizabeth Robbins
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well-researched and interesting, this story is not my usual choice for reading material, yet I found it fascinating. The author has taken factual information, and interspersed it with imagined dialogue, to make a decent history lesson into a great book. The description lists it as teaching material for primary and middle school, but I disagree that an elementary school child would enjoy this, unless maybe it's read aloud. Late middle school and high school students would, no doubt, enjoy it more ...more
Deedra
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Mann does a fine job of narrating this story of Catherine,the daughter of a king,wife of a king and the mother of another king.A very interesting short book to listen to."I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the author, publisher and/or narrator in exchange for an unbiased review via AudiobookBlast or MalarHouse dot com" ...more
Nicholas Maulucci
simple, short history book. interesting dynamic amongst European monarchies. marriage was a political move. Catherine was French and was given to the English king at age 19. although he promised to stop pillaging France, his promise was soon forgotten. later she married a duke in England but then died giving birth at the age of 36. simple English history.
Marianne/Hevilukija
rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2020
Kimberly Westrope
Oct 20, 2020
rose
Jan 16, 2020
Laurel Rockefeller
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Vivek
Kate Dugdale
Mar 18, 2021
Lilmissmolly
May 23, 2015

• Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1)
  • Tudor Wales: Full-Colour Guide to the Many Places in Wales Associated with This Famous Dynasty
  • A People's History of the Supreme Court: The Men and Women Whose Cases and Decisions Have Shaped Our Constitution
  • Holy Bible: Revised English Bible With Apocrypha
  • In the Heat of the Night (Virgil Tibbs, #1)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • Paino : miten pääsin sinuiksi kehoni kanssa
  • Nazi Wives: The Women at the Top of Hitler's Germany
  • Hitler's Valkyrie: The Uncensored Biography of Unity Mitford
  • The Transatlantic Marriage Bureau; Husband Hunting in the Gilded Age: How American Heiresses Conquered the Aristocracy
  • A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)
  • The Viceroy's Daughters: The Lives of the Curzon Sisters
  • Kuninkaallisessa seurassa – Rojalistin käsikirja
  • The Other Mitford: Pamela's Story
  • It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • Harley Quinn Batman Day Special Edition #1
  • Michael Jackson Conspiracy
  • Wonder Woman (2016-) #1
Born, raised, and educated in Lincoln, Nebraska USA Laurel A. Rockefeller is author of over one hundred books published and self-published since August, 2012 with print editions spanning across ten languages and counting, plus audio books on Audible in English and Spanish. A dedicated scholar and biographical historian, Ms. Rockefeller is passionate about education and improving history literacy w ...more

Legendary Women of World History (4 books)
  • Boudicca:  Britain's Queen of the Iceni (The Legendary Women of World History, #1)
  • Mary Queen of the Scots: the Forgotten Reign (The Legendary Women of World History, #3)
  • Queen Elizabeth Tudor: Journey to Gloriana (The Legendary Women of World History, #4)