Start by marking “My New Roots: Inspired Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season” as Want to Read:
My New Roots: Inspired Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season

My New Roots: Inspired Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  447 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
At long last, Sarah Britton, called the “queen bee of the health blogs” by Bon Appétit, reveals 100 gorgeous, all-new plant-based recipes in her debut cookbook, inspired by her wildly popular blog.

Every month, half a million readers—vegetarians, vegans, paleo followers, and gluten-free gourmets alike—flock to Sarah’s adaptable and accessible recipes that make powerfully he
Published March 31st 2015 by Clarkson Potter (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about My New Roots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My New Roots

May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am seriously conflicted about this book. Some of the recipes seem so forced, containing ingredients or combinations that make me squint in confusion. The recipe introductions occasionally feel preachy or condescending. Could that be because it is revolutionary and boundary-pushing and I am struggling to understand, slow to catch on? It's possible. The pictures are appetizing, the use of vegetables, in particular, is exciting, and I'm learning interesting tips on sprouting, using chia, creating ...more
xtina
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
There are a lot of terrific, inspiring recipes here.

So why only three stars?

There are so many distracting inconsistencies in this book that I might as well have read it with a red pen as with my 'to make' post-its.

She is obviously well-rooted (sorry) in the new foods garde. She has credentials to back her positions—not as important to me, but some folks new to these ingredients might need that mark of authority to embrace some of the change she champions. However the information is often unclea
Juhina
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, for-review
Lately we've been requesting cook books from Random House Canada (See Juicing and Salad Love) and we are so in love with every single one we receive. Random House sure knows how to pick the books and package them beautifully, interior and exterior wise. This specific post will be about My New Roots by Sarah Britton which was released recently.

Sarah Britton is actually dubbed as the "Queen bee of the health blogs" and this book was inspired by her very popular blog. This book contains 100 plant
Mike
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I recently won a copy of this book in a giveaway (not by the publisher), and I was excited to receive it. Looking at it, however, I'm beginning to think that I wouldn't have purchased it for myself, even though I'm always on the lookout for new vegetarian recipes. I don't think this cookbook is really intended for a cook like me. But, I'll explain why and you can decide for yourself how applicable my opinion is.

I rarely buy cookbooks online – mostly because it's so impossible to tell what it is
Sharon
May 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
There were some good recipe ideas in this book. I found that some of the recipes required too much effort and time for someone who is busy and wanted to eat in a healthier manner. I also found that there was too much use of maple syrup and sweeteners.
Alicia
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this cook book! One of my favorites!
Chrissy
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The very first thing I noticed when MY NEW ROOTS arrived in the mail was its absolute GORGEOUSNESS! I mean, look at the photo -- which really does it no justice. Colorful and rustic, while still distinctly modern, this volume is the PERFECT coffee table book, for sure!

But what about the pages inside? Do they match up to the brilliance of the front cover?

I won't leave you in suspense here! The answer is .... yes!

Although I haven't experienced any of Britton's healthy blogs that she mentions in th
Amy
I first heard of Sarah Britton through her blog, "My New Roots", where I fell in love with a Thai inspired coconut soup she posted. Never mind that I drove my grocer crazy seeking fresh galangal root, which suddenly was hard to keep in stock (I suspect I wasn't the only one who read that post). The soup was a burst of flavors sliding across my palate. Luckily, I've now found a source for dried galangal and birds eye chiles, if needs be, so my grocer doesn't run when he sees me coming.

I'm terribl
Mazzou B
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely delighted by this new, beautiful cookbook from popular health blogger Sarah Britton! As an artsy cook, I was drawn to this book by its pleasing cover and design. The interior is full of lovely photographs depicting various dishes as well.
Published by Clarkson Potter, this book will not disappoint. In looks or quality of recipes.
As I read through the cookbook, I was surprised and delighted by the similarities I share with author Sarah Britton. I suppose you could call me a healt
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My New Roots is a stunning book of inventive recipes for a plant-based cuisine, written by an extremely talented and popular food writer, recipe developer and blogger.

The recipes are all vegetarian, many of them vegan and many gluten-free. This is a powerful collection of healing dishes that brim with liveliness. And they are truly inspired.

See my full review here - http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies....
Cherie
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
B I think I'm burned out on "seasonal" cookbooks. I have a bunch (I would've loved this when I started my CSA three years ago) already, and a lot of the recipes require somewhat unusual ingredients. Vegan.
lisa
May 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wasn't a big fan of Britton's blog, and even though this cookbook is beautiful there is not one recipe in here I am interested in trying.
S
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, non-fiction
This was an inspiring cookbook for me - there are a few recipes from this that have gone into my permanent rotation (the ultimate goal with any cookbook... that honestly doesn't happen that often).
My favorite, favorite, favorite: the Spring Pea Dip. So simple, but so delicious and good for you. Try it on sesame bread.
Rachael Gorman
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My new favourite cook book I love love love the recipes, the photos and all the extra tips and extra bits of information. Anything I've cooked has not disappointed. Easy to follow and not laborious either.
Aja Marsh
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
3.5 Overall I liked it with some fun and interesting recipes. I did find her writing voice particularly annoying so I just avoided reading the intros, etc. and also didn't agree with several of the things she had to say, but that's the way it goes!
Ruth
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brindi Michele
I really enjoyed her blog, but this cookbook left me disappointed. Also, a few recipes are ineligible due to print image type errors (or a least the library edition I had was).
Alessia Armenise
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just love Sarah's recipes and this book is by far my favorite cook book. Everything is always delicious!
Juli Anna
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Meh. Too trendy for me; I am super sick of superfoods. I will file a few of these recipes away for a rainy day but, for the most part I found this forgettable.
Jenny
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite plant-based recipe book so far! The thing about Sarah Britton is she understands FLAVOUR, as in mouth-watering, murmur-'mm...'-on-the-first-mouthful type of flavour. Some of the recipes require unusual ingredients and a trip to your local healthfood shop and some take a little time to create but the meal on your plate will have been worth the effort. Her blog is fantastic too, and there are loads of free recipes there if you want to sample before you buy.
Heather
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
My New Roots: Inspired Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season, by Sarah Britton, is a good cookbook–it just isn’t a great one. It’s big on plant-based foods, and (in many cases, though not all) raw foods, things which I could certainly stand to eat more of. The pictures are lovely and the recipe layouts are decent and easy to use. The recipes certainly sound enticing: roasted red pepper walnut dip; sorrel hummus; buckwheat crepes with creamy string bean slaw; pear apple blackberry crumble; rooibos ...more
Nim
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, own, signed
This is a gorgeous book. So much so that I almost forgive the lack of a table of contents. (Seriously, this trend in cookbooks needs to stop. This is where they're most needed!) I love hardcover cookbooks that don't have the loose-removable cover. Those just get messy in the kitchen in my opinion. I have been following Sarah's blog shortly after I became vegetarian, several years ago. I've made numerous recipes from her blog and was very excited to hear about her releasing a book. I was actually ...more
Edythe Hamilton
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“A great deal of cooking inspiration comes from following the seasons…high-water-content foods in summer…sweetly rich, starchy, calorie –dense foods fill us through winter. Spring tastes like wild leek pesto…Autumn tastes like fig and walnut jam…”
Sarah Britton

After the Introduction, Essential Techniques is packed with essential cooking charts for dry beans and growing sprouts, including making nut and seed butters and milks. The cookbook is divided into five chapters: Spring, Early Summer, Late
V Luttrell
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written with stunning photographs and great recipes. I am absolutely delighted by this new, beautiful cookbook from popular health blogger Sarah Britton who is from Toronto where my mother grew up and my relatives live! The cover drew me in and he concept of new inspiring healthy treats. Most recipes along with pictures are of vegetable recipes but there are some desserts too.
This book will not disappoint as the author uses other types of sugars making this a must for all healthy peo
Sara
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het kookboek My New Roots is net zo mooi als de gelijknamige blog. De opmaak is simpel en stijlvol en de fotografie… oh de fotografie is zo, zo prachtig. Als je Sarah’s blog volgt, heb je er al van kunnen genieten. De stijl van foto’s is hedendaags en ik vind dat de periode waarin een gerecht gegeten wordt er zelfs van uitstraalt. Er zijn niet overdreven veel attributen aan toegevoegd en je krijgt er ècht zin van in eten.

Om niet 100% lyrisch te zijn over dit boek ga ik meteen over naar het groot
Gwendolyn Kensinger
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not long ago I REVIEWED Pure Food by Veronica Bosgraaf, and while I DEFINITELYenjoyed that book, My New Roots has everything that Pure Food lacked. The suggested RETAIL PRICE difference between the two books is $10. That’s not bad considering what you get. First of all the embossed hard cover is stunning. The use of the end papers was brilliant and eco-friendly. There are beautiful pictures on almost every page versus the 8 pages I got in Pure Food. My NEW Roots also features a techniques sectio ...more
Zwart Raafje
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kookboeken
De titel dekt de lading goed – deze manier van koken omvat een heel andere levenstijl. Steeds meer grijpen de recentere kookboeken terug naar de oorsprong. Naar een manier van koken waarbij je perfect weet waar je eten vandaag komt en wat er in verwerkt is. Hiernaast benadrukt Sarah Britton ook dat het niet enkel gezond is maar ook goedkoper. Met de eerste twee ben ik het volledig eens. Van het goedkopere aspect ben ik niet zo zeer overtuigd. Zelfgemaakte amandelmelk zal ongetwijfeld lekker én g ...more
Dana
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This cookbook has absolutely lovely photos. I like good photos in a cookbook. The measurements are given in European and American measures for the most part, but I did notice that one measurement is listed as a "knob" and that is not translated to whatever amount the measurement is in American cooking. Many of the recipes are rather gourmet and labor intensive requiring quite a bit of prep time or ingredients that may be difficult to find like barley malt syrup. I made the "Fully Loaded Breakfas ...more
Becki Iverson
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting for a cookbook from Sarah Britton for YEARS, so naturally when I learned this would be released I had to snatch it up as soon as I could. sure enough, it's a masterpiece in clean cooking, with relatively complex recipes broken down into easily achievable steps. Her sections on pantry, storage, shopping and prepping are especially useful, setting anyone who wants to up for success.

I don't often purchase books but I am seriously considering owning this as an educational tool and
Patricia
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. It provided a new prospective on plant-based eating with lots of nutrition information and cooking methods. With a family that dietary restrictions, this book made it easy to find things for everyone. The recipes are easy to follow and well detailed. The best part everything I've made from this book has been delicious! I'm excited for plum season to try my hands at the Chai Spiced Plum Upside-Down Cake.
  • At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well
  • The Green Kitchen: Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
  • The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple and Inspired Whole Foods Recipes to Savor and Share
  • A Modern Way to Eat: Over 200 Satisfying, Everyday Vegetarian Recipes (That Will Make You Feel Amazing)
  • Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking
  • Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • Bar Tartine: Techniques and Flavors
  • A Girl and Her Greens
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • The Love and Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking
  • The Vibrant Table: Recipes from My Always Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, and Sometimes Raw Kitchen
  • Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats: Cut Out the Gluten and Enjoy an Even Healthier Vegan Diet with Recipes for Fabulous, Allergy-Free Fare
  • Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery

$17.99 $1.99
  • John Quincy Adams
    $12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
    $17.99 $1.99
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Hole in Our Gospel Special Edition: What Does God Expect of Us? The Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World
    $10.99 $1.99