Start by marking “Living with Intent: My Somewhat Messy Journey to Purpose, Peace, and Joy” as Want to Read:
Living with Intent: My Somewhat Messy Journey to Purpose, Peace, and Joy

Living with Intent: My Somewhat Messy Journey to Purpose, Peace, and Joy

As a mom, wife, and social media entrepreneur, Mallika Chopra frequently wondered how she could possibly do one more thing. Like so many, she was taking lousy care of herself and having a difficult time finding richer meaning and purpose in each day, even though that was her business's mission. Living with Intent is a practical yet deeply personal look at her year-long jou ...more
Published April 7th 2015 by Harmony (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Living with Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living with Intent

Anastacia
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I requested this book from netgalley to read on a whim, and I was glad I did! I don't normally read books like this or really, self help books at all, but I've been struggling lately with being more organized, better planning, where do I want to be in a year or ten years and how do I get there? This book is a roadmap, and is constantly asking you questions that make you think about those very same issues. I've written down many of the questions Chopra asks so I can think about them more in more ...more
Kim H.
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Practical and accessible, Mallika Chopra offers readers a very "do-able" tool for centering and reclaiming the essence of life.

I started meditating a year ago and while I extol the many benefits this practice has afforded me, I am also familiar with Chopra's dilemma of the competing demands and expectations of modern life which threaten to overwhelm each of us and steer us away from those things which are most important to our core being. Chopra argues that the way to remain centered is through
Ashlie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I presently work at Northwestern University, in the Career Management Center of Kellogg School of Management. As such, I have access to neat personal and professional development opportunities. Kellogg yearly holds a day-long conference called "Kellogg on Growth," and staff are able to attend this thoughtful and exciting day of learning, reflection, and intellectual discourse.

Mallika Chopra was the keynote speaker at Kellogg on Growth this year, so my interest was thus piqued in her book. I have
Christine
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I need this book as reminder to myself to take time for myself, to quiet my mind and recharge my emotional and spiritual batteries. I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. I started to read it but abandoned it because chaos and crisis consumed my life at the time. Thus I was not living with intent, I was in survival mode. Those are times we need a book like this the most and yet we least able to absorb it. This book is full of useful exercises and practices to help one find balance and lea ...more
Amy
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This is one of those books full of common sense wisdom that we are all so good at forgetting. Advice about taking time for yourself, being mindful and grateful, telling people you love them....these are all things we know we should do but we get so wrapped up in stressing out about things that don't matter that we forget about the things that do. This book is a good reminder. It's the little things that matter so much and most of what we worry about not only does not matter but often does not ev ...more
Stephanie
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written book. A great read for re-focusing and clarifying where you are in life and what things you need to accept and let go of. Its not about striving to be better, its about being happy with where you are and embracing the whole journey.
Nedra
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
I won this book from Goodreads

I wanted to learn how to become better organized, and this book help me out, This book would be awesome in a women studies class and a Psy class.
L
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, self-help
3.5

The good:
Chopra manages to connect with the reader in being transparent in her failures. There is something really comforting about a self help book that isn't just preachy. I think the message behind it is really important - living with intent, loving-kindness, and self compassion. It's not a new concept at all, but her journey brings great insight and I really appreciated some of the anecdotes and interviews she included.

The bad:
As another review mentioned, Chopra doesn't really address th
Michael
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self, favorites
I absolutely loved this book. Spiritualism is something I've been getting more I tune with for myself and I thought this was a great book.

I think somewhere along the way we all lose our intent. Whether we intended to become a teacher but are working as an administrative assistant, or whether we intend to take better care of our selves but find that our clothes are getting snug, I think this book serves a purpose for all.

Personally, I have been struggling with intent for several months. This bo
Paige
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I'd give this one a 3.5 if I could. I enjoyed reading it and finished it quickly, but I didn't get as much inspiration from it as I have from other books on similar topics. Still, it was a good reminder of some important life lessons.
Jaclyn Day
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This positive, practical book about living with more intention and gratitude (with a healthy dose of meditation) was enjoyable but I found it a little shallow and repetitive.
Jean
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot offer anything new that has not already been said in previous reviews. What I can tell you is that, halfway through the book I decided I was just going to listen to it all the way through, then purchase the book on Amazon and start applying its principals.

The book arrives tomorrow and I am so excited. Mallika Chopra's style of writing and speaking brings things down to earth so that they are easy for the "green" to understand. I truly adore this book and cannot wait to get a physical co
Courtney Sieloff
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a calming approach to how to live, even with the chaos of being a modern working parent. This is a book I will return to again and again. I can already feel the affects of meditation taking hold on my life. I recommend this highly!
Yvonne Rogers
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. This apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I am big fan of your father's work but honestly this was more relatable for me. This is the kind of book that I will come back to for refreshers I am sure.
Julia
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was recommended by a friend and I read it in a day! Mindfulness is one of those topics that can fit the category of "read one, read them all." But this particular book was about creating mindfulness specifically in motherhood and I loved it!
Alica McKenna-Johnson
I listened to this book and loved every second of it. I will be buying this book in paperback so I can do the exercises and use it as a reference. I love how raw and vulnerable Mallika is in sharing her story. I feel like I understand intent better, but also that I can use it to improve my life.
Astri
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love this book. It provides me with reflections and practices that I am able to do right now. This book is definitely a must read for those seeking more in their life, and living it with intent.
JA Houghton
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book to sit back and pause and take a look at where you are in our busy lives. Good references to other books. Easy style to read.
Mary
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
She was very candid. It was interesting and revealing to hear how her father, Deepak Chopra, wasn’t always centered and “enlightened.” He once struggled like the rest of us.
Moving Ahead
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read. A book which many women are likely to relate to it. I felt it was my story. Learned many tips and pondered self on many issues. I think one must read it for self exploration .
Jay Brara
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read. Did not find it exceptional, but reaffirming good known concepts.
Becky
May 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Privileged wife complains about being a mom while filling book with other people's insights [garnered through her family's social connections]. Could not identify with any of it.
Rachael
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I just couldn't relate nor get into this book. She has written other books and not sure why she kept having to go back to the drawing board, or maybe I was just in a bad mood.
Christine Lussier
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Living with Intent. It is a book I feel that I would read again & refer to.
Bhavya
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have ever read! It's a perfect self-help guide.Reading this book in itself was a healing experience.I just wish to practice living with intent in its truest sense.Highly recommend!
April
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll preface by saying I did receive this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This was the first book i've read about living with intent and I will say I adored this book! I was unsure of the book at first because I really couldn't relate to the lifestyle of over scheduling myself or family and being overwhelmed by that. I am, by nature one who likes my downtime, but that downtime doesn't mean living my life with more purpose. The first part of the book that made me take notice was when
Tangled in Text
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How can you say something negative about something so positive? My husband can tell when I love a book because I tell him all the details and I start reading sections to him or make him participate if its an interactive book. I enjoyed sharing tips about being positive, living in the present, and live with even micro intents.

My first intent after reading this book is to sit down with my husband and have us both complete our priorities of intent circle and see if we can help each other out in ma
Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Mallika Chopra, the daughter of Deepak Chopra, and the founder of Intent.com shares her journey to find more balence in her life. Though she was raised to meditate and was asked to speak on topics such as intent and balance she discovered that she wasn't actually living that life. Like many people before her she researches, interviews, and attempts to live out the practices she learns.

This is a bit of superficial look at living a more balanced and intentional life. At one point she bemoans the f
Kelly Lee
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Historically, I don't do self help books, but living with some kind of Intent is a concept that held a lot of interest for me. After the first few chapters, I was hooked. I have even since purchased a copy for a friend to share what I was learning. While I don't have the same religious beliefs as Mallika and she does got to the Deepak is my father well a little too often, the points she makes are very practical and easy to transfer to your everyday life.

There are concepts in here that are not a
Lindsey
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this books to be very encouraging and inspiring with it's positive message. It had me looking at how I spend my time and what I'm doing daily that is important for me. I realized that I really am wasting parts of my day doing mindless things that aren't adding to my life in any way and helped me to see that I can replace those things with more productive activities that will aid my mental health. So much of my time gets sucked into social media and internet games that I'm not actually en ...more

• My Almost Certainly Real Imaginary Jesus
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • SoulSpace: Creating a Home That Is Free of Clutter, Full of Beauty, and Inspired by You
  • A Final Arc of Sky: A Memoir of Critical Care
  • This Time I Dance!: Creating the Work You Love
  • The Maternal Is Political: Women Writers at the Intersection of Motherhood and Social Change
  • Lucky Bitch: A Guide for Exceptional Women to Create Outrageous Success
  • The Butcher and the Vegetarian: One Woman's Romp Through a World of Men, Meat, and Moral Crisis
  • My Baby Rides the Short Bus: The Unabashedly Human Experience of Raising Kids with Disabilities
  • How to Be Well: The Everyday Actions, Reliable Rituals, and Proven Tactics of the Healthiest and Happiest People
  • Soul Coaching: 28 Days to Discover Your Authentic Self
  • Nina Here Nor There: My Journey Beyond Gender
  • Mindfulness for Dummies
  • Food & Mood: The Complete Guide to Eating Well and Feeling Your Best
  • Emergence Christianity: What It Is, Where It Is Going, and Why It Matters
  • The Blooming of a Lotus: Guided Meditations for Achieving the Miracle of Mindfulness
  • The Power of Flow: Practical Ways to Transform Your Life with Meaningful Coincidence
  • The Self-Acceptance Project: How to Be Kind and Compassionate Toward Yourself in Any Situation

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
MALLIKA CHOPRA is the successful author of two previous gift books for parents, 100 Promises to My Baby and 100 Questions from My Child. She is a busy mom of two, a successful entrepreneur, and the founder and CEO of Intent.com and Intentblog, a successful social media site and its sister blog. Chopra grew up in Lincoln, Massachusetts, and graduated from Concord Academy, Brown University, and the ...more
“I want to live my life to its fullest potential. I want to embrace my own purpose, however large or small it may be. I want to find my own Nehru moments and take positive steps toward becoming the person I am meant to be. The journey will undoubtedly be a winding one, filled with surprises and setbacks as well as gifts. But I'm ready to embrace it fully, wherever it may take me.” 1 likes
“We may rely on others and turn to others for help, but ultimately our answers come from within.” 1 likes