Start by marking “Lewismannen (Lewis Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lewismannen (Lewis Trilogy, #2)

Lewismannen (Lewis Trilogy #2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  13,892 Ratings  ·  1,261 Reviews
Ett oidentifierat lik har hittats i en torvmosse på Isle of Lewis. Den enda ledtråden till kroppens identitet är en DNA-matchning med en av traktens lantbrukare. Men denne öbo, Tormod Macdonald nu en gammal man med demens har alltid påstått sig vara enda barnet.

Tormod är också far till Marsaili Macdonald, den före detta Edinburgh-polisen Fin Macleods första stora kärlek. S
Published October 2014 by Modernista (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lewismannen, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kim Fionnlagh knew where they had gone, otherwise the Kelly thug and his goons wouldn't have know where to find them. Fionnlagh told Donald and they most…moreFionnlagh knew where they had gone, otherwise the Kelly thug and his goons wouldn't have know where to find them. Fionnlagh told Donald and they most likely got a flight. It isn't clear how they knew the exact location of 'Kates' home though. I think Peter May took a bit of author license to wrap it all up. Doubtful that Donald would have been able to board a plane with a rifle. (less)

Jeffrey Keeten
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scotland
”Gunn… couldn’t take his eyes off the face of the young man locked in the peat. Although there was a shrivelled aspect to this features, they would be recognisable to anyone who knew him. Only the soft, exposed tissue of the eyes had decomposed. ‘How long’s he been here?’

Murdo’s laugh was lost in the wind. ‘Who knows? Hundreds of years, maybe even thousands. You’ll need an expert to tell you that.’”

photo Bog20Man_zpsnfgiokrb.jpg

I remember when I first heard about Bog People. 2000 year old corpses were being pulled from the
Andrew Smith
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it’s not so much the story itself as the way the story is told. In truth, there’s a great story here too but the way the tale unfolds and the care that’s been taken to order things just right and to disclose just enough whilst holding back a couple of nuggets of information until it can wait no longer… well, it’s a masterclass in how to get it right.

I’d enjoyed The Blackhouse so much I’d instantly started on the second part of this trilogy. Fin Macleod has left his police career behin
Jaline
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xx2017-completed
In the northern areas of Europe there are peat bogs created by proximity to specific soil, water, and chemical compounds occurring in nature. There have been bodies found, perfectly preserved, within these bogs for centuries. Some of them date back to the pre-Christian era; hundreds and even thousands of years before. Many of these appeared to have been sacrificial deaths, but others were murders. Although the bogs are frequently ‘harvested’ and then dried for heating purposes, they can still ho ...more
Richard Derus
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Marilyn Stasio in The New York Times raved: "Peter May is a writer I'd follow to the ends of the earth." Among the many honors received, The Blackhouse, the first novel in May's acclaimed Lewis trilogy, won the Barry and Crime Thriller Hound awards.

In The Lewis Man, the second book of the trilogy, Fin Macleod has returned to the Isle of Lewis, the storm-tossed, wind-scoured outer Hebridean island where he was born and raised. Having left behind his adult
Paula Kalin
Peter May’s The Black House, first in the Lewis Trilogy, was fabulous and made it to my favorite book list. A great mystery/thriller. The setting in a far Scotland isle makes the series so intriguing.

The Lewis Man, however, was totally different. The main character suffers from dementia so the reader is caught up in his confusion throughout the book. Not something I was expecting. No police action either.

I didn’t enjoy this as much as the first in the series, but do plan on reading #3.

4 out of 5
Phrynne
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Full of twists and turns and incredible discoveries, this book is every bit as good as the first in the series, The Blackhouse.

When Peter May describes the Hebrides and its life style you can feel yourself right there, usually with the accompaniment of wind and rain! There is some sun and a few beaches in this book but I am still sure those fine days are in the minority!

I am enjoying the character of Fin Macleod. Even though he is no longer on the Force he works this crime like the policeman he
Brenda
Fin Macleod had resigned from the force in Edinburgh when his divorce finally came through, and journeyed home to Lewis Island – the place he’d grown up; the place of unhappy memories that he’d vowed never to return to. But Lewis Island also held the woman he’d loved as a young man – he felt unfinished business that he might be able to resolve.

Detective Sergeant George Gunn was called when the body was discovered in the Lewis Island peat bog – they’d expected it to be an ancient corpse as the ac
Marita
At the start of the second novel in the trilogy, Fin Macleod has come to a decision regarding his future. The first novel, The Blackhouse , found Fin at a crossroads in his personal life, but “Tomorrow would be the end of everything he had known for most of his adult life. Everything he had been and become, and was likely to be.” And so he once again steps through the metaphorical looking glass* into the world of the Isle of Lewis, one of the islands which form part of the Hebrides. And to incom ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
A body is found in the peat bog on the isle of Lewis. The only clue to the body's identity is that he was related to a local farmer. But the local farmer Tormed Macdonald is a man with dementia and he has always claimed to be the only child.

It strange that the hardest reviews to write are actually for the books that I love. It's sometimes so hard to put into words how great a book is that I just want to say read it and you will see why it is so good.

The Lewis Man is such a book, just like the fi
Kathy
I'm not sure that I can do a proper review right away because the last book in the Lewis Trilogy is tapping its foot at me while I type. Any review of a book in this series must begin with the fact that Peter May is one of the most masterful storytellers writing today. His artistry with words is akin to listening to a symphonic performance of music that plays light and dark, loud and soft to a stunning consistency of perfection. The setting on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland is brought to life wit ...more
Liz
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book in the Lewis trilogy proves once again that Peter May is a master at using the unique and tempestuous backdrop of the Scottish Outer Hebrides to accentuate the mood of the story. He's quite fantastic at this, and he clearly holds an affection for the place, so loving is his detail.

Although the main crime of this story is not as strong as in the first book, I really enjoyed the way it’s told from past and present perspectives. I especially liked hearing the story of Tormod Macdon
Jenny
The Lewis Man is about Fin Macleod who is a divorced ex-policeman returning to the Isle of Lewis to fix up his family home and have a peaceful life. However, this did not happen, due to the discovery of a body in a peat bog that was identified as a relative of his best friend, Marsaili Macdonald. Readers of "The Lewis Man" will be taken on a ride with Fin to try and find the answer to the puzzle of the body discovered in the peat bog.

The Lewis Man is the second book I have read of Peter May and
Carolyn
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
In this second novel of the Lewis trilogy, Detective Fin Macleod has left the police force and his fractured marriage and returned to the place of his birth. When a body found in the peat bog turns out not to be ancient but that of a young man killed in the 1950s, Fin is asked by the local police to help investigate.

What unfolds is a complex story leading back to children abandoned by society and a secret kept hidden for over 50 years. As Fin investigates the mystery he re-connects with his own
Stephen
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not often that you find a sequel that is even better than the original but this is one of them. Like the first book, this was two stories (one in the past, one in the present) that came together for a very clever ending. Enjoyed the book more for seeing the development of the characters from the first book but it could easily be read as a standalone novel.

A must read for anyone interested in the Scottish Highlands/Islands and also I found the scenes in my home town of Edinburgh very interesting
Harry
Book Review

Second in The Lewis Trilogy, Peter May once again invites his readers to explore the islands known as the Hebrides, off Scottland. The story continues with Fin MacLeod's fascinating story. We got to know Fin in May's spectacular first in the trilogy: The Blackhouse as he once again returns to Lewis Island in search of his Gaelic roots. You can find my review of that novel here.

I've become a huge fan of Peter May's work in this trilogy for several reasons. First: I find his study of th
Sue
I wish that I had written the review for this book immediately on completing it, when I was still caught up in the rush attendant to finishing a book I've truly enjoyed. But I will try to do it justice now. The Lewis Man is the second of The Lewis Trilogy, coming after The Blackhouse which I enjoyed last year. If you plan to read these novels, you should read them in order so as to get to know the people fully, how they are revealed to themselves and each other.

This book is so much more than a m
Laure
This for me was one up on the first part of the trilogy. The relationships between the characters deepen, and the islands come alive in the fantastic atmospheric rendition of their powers on the mind.
I was in South Uist a few years ago for a holiday, and I got goosebumps at the bit when Fin drives through the island on his way to Eriskay. I was listening to it on Audible, and it was just brilliant.
Maria
Toda essa relação entre o passado e o presente é que faz com o Um Homem Sem Passado seja um livro altamente viciante e envolvente. Neste segundo livro da trilogia conhecemos melhor Fin e as personagens que o rodeiam, deixando um pouco o lado mais obscuro pela qual foram retratadas no primeiro livro.

Aguardo ansiosamente que a Marcador publique o último livro da trilogia.
Opinião completa: http://marcadordelivros.blogspot.pt/2...
Cátia Santos
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Como caracterizar um livro que se lê em menos de 24h? Tem de ser muito bom! A escrita de Peter May é realmente envolvente! Mais do que ótimas histórias, Peter May cria cartões postais destas ilhas da Escócia. História muito bem construída, onde, tal como no livro anterior, vamos conhecendo a fundo a vida dos personagens, neste caso do pai de Marsaili. Para além disso, a forma como este autor aborda a questão da demência... Soberbo! Muito mais do que um policial...
Jaksen
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great mystery, the second featuring police detective Fin MacLeod who's recently left the force in Edinburgh, Scotland. Having just gone through a divorce and having suffered an immense personal tragedy, Fin plans to go home - to the Outer Hebrides - and figure out what to do with the rest of his life. The scenes on the island(s), the stark beauty, the peat bogs, the fierce ocean and the storms which come off it, and the difficult way the population (still) ekes out a living, are all magnificen ...more
Alex Cantone
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Most people spend their lives never knowing what lies beneath the stones they walk on. Cops spend theirs lifting those stones and having to deal with what they find.’

The Lewis Man is the second book in the Lewis Trilogy of contemporary mysteries set in the Outer Hebrides. Fin MacLeod has left the Edinburgh police force, is divorced from wife Mona, and returns to his birthplace on the Isle of Lewis months after his earlier visit, still devastated by the loss of his eight year old son, Robbie, ki
Wyndy
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, mystery
I almost forgot how good a writer Peter May is since it's been a while since I read 'The Blackhouse,' my first foray into his atmospheric writing. For those who are not world travelers, May invites us to the stark, desolate landscape of the outer Hebrides with his 'Lewis Trilogy.' We sample the Gaelic brogue with words like gneiss, waulking, and tarasgeir, and smell the peat smoke drifting over the wind-ravaged moors.

In this second installment, Fin Macleod has left his 16-year-long marriage, his
Ellen
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lewis Man (2nd in the Lewis Trilogy) by Peter May.

Fin MacLeod has decided to take an early retirement from his position as Detective Inspector in Edinburgh. He's determined to go back and restore his parents croft as well as attempt to repair past relationships. Fin finds Massaili's family quite overwhelmed by the father's advancing dementia. No longer able to take care of him they quickly decide a nursing home must be arranged for him.

At this time a corpse is unearthed in a peat bog that a
Christine
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second part of the Lewis Trilogy and once again we are back in Scotland, with Fin Macleod.

A body is found in a Lewis peat bog, well preserved and linked genetically to a local man. The man is Tormod Macdonald, a relative of Fin’s ex-girlfriend. Tormod is suffering from dementia and is not able to help identifying the body. His mind is confused. Fin is no longer in the police force and has come back to stay on the island. George Gunn, the local policeman, and Finn both try to identify
Julie  Durnell
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england-uk, mystery
Another dark and atmospheric book in the Lewis trilogy set in the Hebrides of Scotland, but I enjoyed the forensic trail followed in the quest to find the murderer and connect all the missing links from a decades old story.
Mark
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the better histroical thrillers
Recommended to Mark by: previous books and magdalena from GR
A body is found in a peat bog on the Isle of Lewis. Former policeman Finlay Macleod has returned to the Isle to pick up the pieces of the rest of his life. He finds that being a grandfather and finding out who the grandfather of his son really is.
Another well researched Island novel that tells the thriller about the identity of a orphan and the historical cruel treatment of orphans in the 20th century by religious organisations driven by the various faiths. And the impact these orphans had on th
Joanne Sheppard
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Around a year ago I reviewed a crime novel set on the Isle of Lewis: The Blackhouse by Peter May. I had a few fairly strong criticisms of it, but was sufficiently intrigued to give The Lewis Man, its sequel, a try.

I'm delighted to report that The Lewis Man struck me as a much better book than The Blackhouse, both for its plot and its characters, many of whom featured in The Blackhouse but are more solidly portrayed here. My other gripe about The Blackhouse was that things seemed to progress unna
Jeanette
I stretched to give this a three. It's just not for me, these Peter May Lewis. The plots are decent, but I find the characters off-putting, and that's saying it nicely.

There is vitriol of left-overs constantly flung at religious belief and especially upon organized religion on Isle of Lewis. The characters are beyond flawed and envy, within constant morose mood, revenge and abuse all have strong parts in both of the Lewis trilogy I have read. The women characters, apart from an emotion or two,
Toni Osborne
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book #2, in The Lewis Trilogy

This second episode takes place sometime after the end of “The Blackhouse”. Finn MacLeod has returned to his emotional home on the island of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides and plans to restore his parents’ derelict house but before getting to the task, he finds himself embroiled in a murder case. The body of a man buried in a peat bog since the late 1950s….George Gunn, a constable on the island who worked with him before, hope to identify the victim and solve the case.

D
Maggie James
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
The Lewis Man is an excellent read. It's a murder mystery, based around solving the murder of a young man found buried in a peat bog on one of the Outer Hebridean islands. The only clue to the identity of the corpse is a DNA sibling match to a local farmer, an elderly man suffering from dementia. A man who has always claimed to be an only child.

The novel is narrated through third person chapters and first person ones told from the POV of the dementia sufferer, Tormod MacDonald. These chapters a
  • Blue Lightning (Shetland Island, #4)
  • The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie, #1)
  • The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)
  • Long Way Home (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #1)
  • The Book of Souls (Inspector McLean, #2)
  • Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus, #19)
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • Far North (Fire & Ice, #2)
  • A Question of Identity (Simon Serrailler, #7)

Lewis Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1)
  • The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“When you are young a year is a big part of your life and seems to last for ever. When you are old, there have been too many of them gone before and they pass all too fast. We move so slowly away from birth, and rush so quickly to death.” 2 likes
“Getting old doesn’t make them any less valid, or any less real. And it’ll be us one day.” 1 likes