Start by marking “Army of Worn Soles” as Want to Read:
Army of Worn Soles

Read Book

Army of Worn Soles

A Canadian is drafted into the Soviet Red Army in 1941, just in time to be thrown against Nazi Germany's invasion in Operation Barbarossa. Caught in the vise of the Nazi and Communist forces, Maurice Bury concentrates on keeping his men alive as they retreat across Ukraine from the German juggernaut. Now the question is: will they escape from the hell of the POW camp befor ...more
Kindle Edition, 1, 165 pages
Published June 22nd 2014 by The Written Word Communications Company

Jeff Swystun
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an interesting find. As a Ukrainian Canadian originally from Winnipeg and now living in Mont Tremblant, Quebec the story was relatable and relevant. A great friend of our family was a young conscript in the Soviet Army when Hitler invaded. He was shot, captured and ended up a HIWI. When the war ended he was processed and emigrated to Canada where he became a respected surgeon. At one Ukrainian business function I spoke at length with two gentlemen about the war. My father later told me they ...more
Randy Grossman
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought there was too much unneeded vulgarity...like the author was trying to get a R rating. The escape and horrible descriptions of war were a bit interesting to read, but if I could I would make it 2.5 rating. Not likely to pursue anymore of the series.
T.W. Dittmer
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: war
Great story of a Canadian citizen drafted into the Russian Army at the onset of World War II. Well written, with excellent character development and action scenes that have the ring of truth about them.
BJ
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I bought and read this book last year, and neglected to post a review. I've gone back over it, checked some notes I made at the time and I still think it's worthy of more than 5 stars! This is a story of Bury's uncle, drafted into the Red Army during WWII and the horrors they were subjected to, fighting in the Ukraine. You can hear the explosions from anti-tank shells, feel some of the hopelessness of a POW camp. Not just for a history buff; I'm surely not, but a well-told war story.
Anthony Vincent
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Remarkable

I have read quite a few WWll books as seen through German or Russian eyes due to my fascination with the subject. This is one of the very best. A superb book by a superb author.
Anthony Vincent Bruno - author of The Wicked Will Perish series.
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly amazing story

As a vivid reader on activities of various countries prior to the start of World War Two, this is one excellent story.
Elise Stokes
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had been offered the ARC of “Army Of Worn Soles”— a perfect title for this poignant true story— in exchange for an honest review, which I readily accepted after reading the summary. This novel is based on the real-life accounts of the author’s father-in-law, Maurice Bury, who had been drafted into the Soviet Army during World War II. Due to the relationship, I knew this would be a special and moving tribute. I wasn’t wrong.

This powerful story opens with Maurice, on the cusp of death, in a Germ
Marilou George
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Scott Bury has written “A memoir in novel form” that is, in my opinion, a tribute to his Father In-Law Maurice Bury. This story is written with emotion, unique characters and profound attention to detail. The Author has done a tremendous amount of research in order to convey the accuracy of events leading up to, and including, Maurice Bury’s life as a student and his subsequent orders to report for duty in the Soviet Red Army in 1941.

Maurice lived on a farm in Nastaciv, Ukraine with his mother
JOY  LORTON
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A compelling story

Even though I know nothing about the major historical events that occurred to and around Maurice - nor can I pronounce most of the words in this book - I found this story to be one of the most heart-wrenching and compelling tales I have ever read. I was worried when I first started it that I'd find it difficult to wade through. , but I couldn't have been more wrong. It's amazing and a miracle to me that Maurice with his indomitable spirit managed to survive the atrocities with
Kate's Reads
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Army of Worn Soles”, by Scott Bury is a memoir written in a fictional style of Bury’s own father-in-law’s experience in the Russian army. Maurice Bury, a Canadian citizen, was living in the part of Ukraine controlled by Poland when Germany invaded in 1939. The USSR took control of the area that Maurice was living and in 1941 he was conscripted into the Russian army.

While Maurice was in the midst of his officer training Germany invaded in Operation Barbarossa. After nearly being killed getting o
Dana Griffin
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you’re interested in historical accounts of World War II, you’ll enjoy this book. Written with a smooth prose that moves the story along you won’t be bored with unnecessary verbiage. You’ll also feel compassion for the narrator for having been caught up in a war his country of birth wasn’t fighting.

I liked how the story began with a scene that takes place later in the book that engages the reader with what will happen to the narrator. Then the next chapter the reader gets to see the narrator
Samreen Ahsan
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: myhomelibrary
I had the pleasure of reading this novel prior to its release.

Army Of Worn Soles is the true story of Maurice Bury, a Canadian citizen caught up in the second world war when he is conscripted into the Ukrainian army. A page-turning journey of a war soldier as he takes his own decisions to save himself and his fellow soldiers. I'm not a reader of historical fiction (especially war ones) but this book gripped me right from the start. It is quite unbelievable that this is a true story, experienced
Stephen Woodfin
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My father fought in the Battle of the Bulge as an American foot soldier. In rare moments he would let his guard down for a few seconds and share with me a few of his recollections of that terrible time. So, I brought to Scott Bury's book a personal history of hearing first person accounts of the war. I loved the story of Maurice Bury and found in it many of the human details my father had related to me about another part of the war. I highly recommend the book, which provides an insight into wha ...more
kenny kintz
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked it

I like reading about WW1 and WW2. I am not a good reader but I found this book easy to read. I found the content vary interesting.
Joseph Lange
Steve
Jul 28, 2016
Josee Schryer
Oct 02, 2015
Army of Worn Sole...: Did you know this about World War 2? 2 3 Sep 09, 2015 12:02PM
Scott Bury can't stay in one category.

After a 20-year career in journalism, he turned to writing fiction. "Sam, the Strawb Part," a children's story, came out in 2011, with all the proceeds going to an autism charity. Next was a paranormal short story for grown-ups, "Dark Clouds."

The Bones of the Earth, a historical fantasy, came out in 2012. It was followed in 2013 with One Shade of Red, an eroti