Start by marking “True Love Scars” as Want to Read:
True Love Scars

True Love Scars

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
It's 1972, and the Sixties are gone, baby gone. Only Michael Stein, Age 19, doesn't have a clue. Soon enough he will. The love is gone and all that's left are the drugs. How the dream died and what there is left after. How you cope.

A Northern California beach-side town and Michael Stein, a serious Bob Dylan fan, is bummed out as he walks across the quad at The University.
Published August 1st 2014 by Neumu Press (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about True Love Scars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Love Scars

Judy
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Ingenious Author's newest novel is a masterpiece of strategy...an exciting novel from square one to the stunning conclusion. Michael Goldberg proves once again he is a master of writing a great Book. True Love Scars remnd me of the 60' I was a little girl small town but I hear and read about the sex, drug's and all , I remember the love everyone had for each there and the Peace everyone wanted . by 1972 I was becoming a teenager, the love everyone had was gone and people change. The part I l ...more
Michele Swide
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Michael Goldberg's True Love Scars is a must read. Here's why. True Love Scars defines the span of two cool decades, the sixties and early seventies and disrobes this alluring era and brings it into our living room in a palpable way. The author knows what he's talking about. Dave Eggers said through the mouth of one of his famous and funny animal drawings, "Please don't tell me about the sixties." But I say we all want to be told about the sixties and seventies. This era was moving musically and ...more
Norm Honbo
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Goldberg’s intense, often painful debut novel is a teenager’s crazy journey to transcend his middle class nothingness in the late 60’s when everything is possible but nothing seems stable or reliable. Taking the name Writerman fifteen-year-old Michael Stein transforms his love of music into a singularly distinctive voice that reflects his desire to write about Dylan, Lennon, the Stones and others of his early years. It’s the rhythm of his voice that adds another dimension to Steins chara ...more
Andy
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True Love Scars' adolescent narrator burns the pyre of hippie idealism as a revelation to the dark face of its excess. His coming of age is not without its grand revelations, but, can any summer be one of love when the price of admission is friends, family, and sanity?

Any piece by Michael Goldberg has a post-beat, hippie-savant poetry all its own, but this is a rare work, a passionate, immersive experience in the sound, attitude and language of an era.
Adam Strong
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met Michael Goldberg back in 2008 down in Tom Spanbauer’s Basement. He spent about a year down there work-shopping what was to become True Love Scars. Michael Goldberg has written for Rolling Stone Magazine, Downbeat magazine and many others. He founded an early internet music website that I still miss called Addicted to Noise. He also runs his music blog, Days of the Crazy Wild.

So as soon as I found out the book was coming out I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. I’ve always loved Michael’s
Silas Valentino
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gene Simmons of KISS recently blabbered on about Rock & Roll being a thing of the past-- but that man invested in Arena Football and is an idiot. Rock & Roll is no longer novel but that doesn't stop its influence from peeping out of the ruble.
"True Love Scars" is some of the better modern Rock & Roll fiction writing not because of the subtle Dylan lyrical references sprinkled throughout like Easter Eggs, but because it evokes the ethos that maybe a few chords mixed with the right wo
Brendan
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A crazy fever dream of a coming-of-age novel, featuring a young man who falls in love and subsequently goes off the rails on a crazy train. The narrative voice is really distinctive, and it definitely took me a few pages to get used to it, but I wound up getting caught up in the crazy musical flow of it all and was carried effortlessly through the pages.

Sex and drugs and rock and roll, all before the age of majority, but it's a pretty dark ride as our protagonist careens from first love to menta
Frank Tortorici
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Michael Goldberg's new novel, True Love Scars, takes the reader on a wild, crazy ride back to the late '60s and early '70s where we meet protagonist Michael Stein who in his own freakster bro language paints a vivid picture of what it was like to be a teenager wrestling with young love, awkward sex, disconnected parents and drug-addled peers.

What makes the book extra special and so very readable is that Goldberg plants you smack dab in the time period with lessons learned from the greatest wor
Barbara Shelley
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book. If you've lived through the '60s/'70's this book will take you back to the time when sex was fear free, pot was cheap and music was everything.
Bob Dylan rules the life of lead character Michael Stein. It's a love story with twists and turns that end him in jail, on a plane to LA with a 14 year old virgin and with a seductress in college who blows the freshman's mind. The dreaded parents play their role perfectly and they don't have a clue. But dear old alcoholic Dad shows up whe
Arthur
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the first few chapters quite amusing as Goldberg blended Dylanesque imagery with the introduction of his characters. Many of the situations in which he entangles his people are reminiscent of 60's hedonism; nostalgia it is not.
Woven through this is an at first tender love story which disastrously unravels as the main character succumbs to the allure of the amorality of the drug and sex darkness in the death of hippie.
So if you wish to go there, either as a novice or as a burnt out case o
Darcee Kraus
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this novel in the First Reads giveaway and was so excited to receive it! The first couple chapters were amusing yet somewhat confusing. Goldberg is an intense writer that keeps you turning the pages! Too much sex for me, but what did I expect? Otherwise, a great novel!
Reticent
Nov 28, 2014
Mélanie Lalande
Sep 05, 2014
Colm
Sep 06, 2017
Jeff Partyka
rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2014
Elyse
Aug 11, 2014
Priscilla Tine
Aug 11, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: My contest isn't updating on my book page 2 15 Aug 04, 2014 03:00PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine these books 2 11 Jul 10, 2014 12:53PM
Goodreads Librari...: True Love Scars - please add my ebook 4 8 Jul 01, 2014 04:45PM
  • Know the Night: A Memoir of Survival in the Small Hours
  • The MANifesting® Workbook
  • Be Rebellious: Fight Back Against A Culture That Doesn't Care About You
  • THRIVE - Surviving in a Corporate Jungle
  • I'll Stand by You: One Woman's Mission to Heal the Children of the World
  • Miss Pussy And The Quilting Club(Pussy In The Well..Who's Gonna Tell #2)
  • Saturday Night: A Backstage History of Saturday Night Live
  • An Anguished Cry for Our Endangered Planet
  • The Renaissance of Aspirin
  • Faithful: A Theology of Sex (Ordinary Theology)
  • Joy, Interrupted: An Anthology on Motherhood and Loss
  • Fugue in C Minor
  • The Red Dragon
  • Luki and The Rocket Power Shoes
So what do you wanna know?

My second novel, The Flowers Lied, a rock 'n' roll coming-of-age story, is now available. It's the second book in the Freak Scene Dream Trilogy.

"If Lester Bangs had ever published a novel it might have read like this frothing debut..." – Rolling Stone

“Radioactive as Godzilla" – legendary rock critic Richard Meltzer