Start by marking “Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)

Arsenic for Tea

(Murder Most Unladylike Mystery #2)

Schoolgirl detectives Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong are at Daisy's home, Fallingford, for the holidays. Daisy's glamorous mother is throwing a tea party for Daisy's birthday, and the whole family is invited, from eccentric Aunt Saskia to dashing Uncle Felix. But it soon becomes clear that this party isn't really about Daisy at all. Naturally, Daisy is furious.

Then one of thei
Published January 29th 2015 by Corgi Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Arsenic for Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arsenic for Tea

Half Wild by Sally GreenThe Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda SalisburyThe Art of Being Normal by Lisa  WilliamsonThe Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick NessFinding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
UKYA in 2015
147 books — 284 voters
Arsenic for Tea by Robin  StevensFirst Class Murder by Robin  StevensThe D'Evil Diaries by Tatum FlynnThe Hollow Boy by Jonathan StroudThe Wolf Wilder by Katherine Rundell
UKMG Books Of 2015
47 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
Katie Lumsden
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this - great fun, wonderfully written, with a really engaging story. I do love a good middle grade cosy mystery!
Pamela
"Something dreadful has happened to Mr. Curtis. I am quite surprised to realize that I mind. If you had asked me this morning what I thought of him, I should have told you that Mr. Curtis was not a nice man at all. But not even the nastiest person deserves this . . . Mr. Curtis was not simply an accident, or a sudden illness. Someone did this to him, and that can only mean one thing: the Detective Society has a brand-new case to investigate."

Robin Stevens' Wells & Wong Mysteries are a delight to
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Tea, mystery, murder, crime, detective.

I saw tea in the title and I knew I had to read it. And I'm so glad I did. Because this was awesome. And I have discovered that I have a huge soft spot for detective stories.

This story has a pretty timeless quality, and I couldn't quite place the era at first. And Daisy and Hazel are so awesome. They just work so well together, the friendship between them is really something special, and I loved how it was tested in this book. I was so invested aft
Maddie
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
First of all, I'm so excited that I picked up the sequel relatively soon after reading the first book, because I enjoyed Hazel and Daisy too much for their series to be something that just gathers dust on my shelves.

What I liked about this mystery was how it was much closer to home. Literally. The girls are staying over at Daisy's manor over Easter break and witness a poisoning, with Daisy's father being one of the most convincing culprits. Seeing the pair juggle with their integrity and moral
Bee
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Just as incredible as the first, I am head-over-heels for this series!
Louise / Daisy May Johnson
I was a little in awe of Stevens' debut in this series, the rather glorious and as good as Christmas Murder Most Unladylike, and so when Arsenic For Tea came onto NetGalley, I did a tiny shriek of joy. And by tiny, I mean rather substantial.

Arsenic For Tea is a joy. A multi-layered sandwich cake of joy. There's really very little else to be said other than this book is gorgeous and it's something rather special.

It is the second in the Wells and Wong series; Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong, schoolgi
Ren
Originally reviewed on Words in a Teacup

Once again we travel back to 1930s England, land of murders and bunbreaks, where schoolgirl detectives Hazel Wong and Daisy Wells are spending the hols at Daisy's ancestral home. There's also some family members and friends staying over for Daisy's birthday party, and everyone knows what happens every time a group of Englishmen have a party in an isolated country house: someone's going to get offed. Predictably, Hazel isn't too pleased with having to deal
Kirsty
Arsenic for tea was one of the books I have been more excited to read in 2015 and I'm so pleased to report it did not disappoint at all.

There are several things I love about this book the the series it is part of. I love that the series evokes the same feelings I had when I was 10 years old and reading my Enid Blyton boarding school and mystery stories. The setting and the language is spot on with the style and my inner child adores it. I almost squealed with joy at the use of the word Brick to
Ken
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderfully delightful murder mystery for Daisy and Hazel 'The Detective Society' to unravel.

Whilst attending Daisy's Birthday celebrations at her family's country home, the schoolgirls are back on the case after one of the attendees soon falls seriously ill.

These books really capture the 1930's setting, one aspect I found added to the story was how the author dealt with Hazel's Asian heritage during that period of history.
The fact that this scene was included goes some way of explaining
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
The past is awful, only old people never realize it.

Facts I bet you didn't know about me:

1. Miss Marple and Dr John Watson bore me to the point of re-reading or retracing the steps that do NOT lead to horrific ends in them old Give Yourself Goosebumps I possess, and I don't even mind. (This is relevant. Sorta. Not really.)

2. Weddings/marriages/any hint of nuptials provoke an involuntary gag reflex in yours truly, unless we're talking Tim Burton + Helena Bonham Carter (or break up thereof ;_;), E
Lydia
Jan 29, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
This was pretty cute.
It's not the greatest kids' book in the world and certain bits were a bit odd to me even though I was remaining aware that it is aimed towards children. Like how well the police officer got on with Daisy and Hazel and how much he believed them.
But overall it was pretty cute and I was pretty invested in finding out who had committed the murder. Plus it has the most adorable cover and title, let's face it.
Emma
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
REVIEW BY NIA 8:8

Arsenic for Tea is about two young girls called Hazel and Daisy Wong. They have spent many years at boarding school together and have grown to be budding detectives. Both girls are clever, friendly and get on well together. They complement each other well because one of them is very hyper and the other very serious. They both notice different things when working together which makes them a good team. Hazel’s family live in Hong Kong which means she goes back to Daisy’s house, in
Emily
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I enjoyed this more than I did the first installment. In the first place, the traditional house-party murder is more "believable" than a boarding school murder. In the second place, a real wart gets what's coming to him, so nobody really feels bad about it. Shocked, yes, but not bad. The author enjoys playing with the trope that "people like us" wouldn't do such a thing, so even if it had to be one of us, let's hush it up, mustn't let the side down donchaknow. In the third place, the author had ...more
Mathew
I should stop leaving Robin Stevens' books on my shelves and just read them straight away. It's not just that they are incredibly smart, accessible, pacy and fun but they're also clever, well-structured and very well-researched. She does such credit to writers like P.D.James, Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie, whom children may encounter later, but is utterly her own writer with her own style. This second book is set in the rather lavish yet decaying home of the Wells family. At Fallingford ...more
Lauren James
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
This is an absolutely charming read! Beautifully written, it perfectly captures the Wodehouse/Sherlock Holmes/Agatha Christie vibe of early 19th century detectives.
If I had discovered this as a child I think i would have died of joy, and as it is I cannot wait for the next in the series. So brilliantly thought out! (And I never guessed the murderer!)

I especially loved the time that had been taken on the extras- the family tree, the house plan etc. It really goes to show the love and effort that
Michelle Harrison
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is so much fun, despite touching on some dark subjects. The characters are wonderful, especially Daisy. I enjoyed getting to know her family, as this second mystery takes place at her home, Fallingford, complete with its own cast of colourful characters, including the intriguingly named ‘Toast Dog’, which made me smile. The mystery is well constructed and kept me guessing until the end. I look forward to the Detective Society’s next adventure. Warning: best consumed with cake, buns o ...more
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)

I love this series so much! Can't wait for First Class Murder!
Oda Renate
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another marvelous crime. This time set in Daisys family estate. Her family are quite some characters :D
Love the different parts and Hazel and the impossible to geuss murder. And and and
READ THIS RIGHT NOW OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!
Jennifer Girard
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had a lot of fun reading this book. I liked it less than the first one but this series is funny, smart and I'm looking forward to continue it.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Superb! I figured it all out even before the murder happened, making this an easier mystery to crack than the previous volume, but Stevens strews Daisy and Hazel's path to the solution with so many red herrings that I started doubting myself and concocting increasingly complex theories, none of which were as close to the mark as my initial intuition.

This one improves on Murder Most Ladylike in every way. The supporting cast is much more interesting, subplots are intriguing in their own way, the
4cats
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Again, I would say a confusing age rating on these. Very, very jolly hockeysticks and all that. There are certainly children's books, 2 girls who get involved in detecting murders which occur around them, young Miss Marples i suppose. Still I question the suitability of some of the content which doesn't marry with the age group I would imagine reading these. Ummm. Again 2 and a half stars.
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
My daughter and I both reading these books. The mysteries are quirky, very much golden age style and I like the characters of Daisy and Hazel. My daughter thinks she is Daisy and I would be her Hazel as none of her friends fit that description! I proudly would be.
Lydia Therese
Poison is Not Polite is the second book in the Wells and Wong Mystery series by Robin Stevens.

This was even better than the first book. If only our library had the next one . . . but they don't . . . woe is me!!
5 stars out of 5, review coming soon!
Valentina Modena
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
After the first, I wanted to read also the second. I’ve enjoyed it like the first, and I’m determined to continue the series. It’s good because every book is a free-standing case, and only the protagonists don’t change (luckily, because I really love them).
In this book we meet Daisy’s family and we discover her house. I can’t wait to continue reading about new adventures and investigations with Daisy and Hazel!
Kate (infinitelynovel)
This was super cute! I think I adore Daisy and Hazel.
Pili
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big Agatha Christie fan and so when I discovered this series, I was elated to have something in her style but MG and with diverse characters. I loved the first book in the series, and although I guessed who the murderer was (did I mention I've read A LOT of Agatha Christie?) it was close to the final reveal so it didn't bother me, and the same thing happened here, I guessed before the reveal (that makes me feel clever) but not too early (which ends up being annoying).

In book 2 we have a c
Encruzilhadas Literárias
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catarina
I had just about finished reading Murder Most Unladylike when I found out that the second volume of the series was about to hit the shelves which as you can imagine left me immensely happy.
In Arsenic for Tea Robin Stevens continues the amazing adventures of the Wells and Wong Detective Society. This time Daisy and Hazel are at Daisy's house for the holidays and Daisy's birthday party. Guest are flowing to Fallingford and we finally get to meet the mysterious and dashing Uncle Felix. (Does he rea
Ms. Yingling
(first published January 29th 2015 with the title Arsenic for Tea!)
Copy checked out from the Ohio E Book Project

After their exploits in Murder is Bad Manners, Hazel and Daisy are on an extended Easter holiday. They have gone to Fallingford, Daisy's wonderful, Downton Abbey type English manor house. In addition to Daisy's absent minded, jovial father and her high strung mother, there's an elderly butler, helpful cooks, an enigmatic governess (Miss Alston), Daisy's bother, his friend, and school m
s a t u r d a y   r e a d
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
See the full review here: https://thebookishuniverse.wordpress....

You need to read this, if you like:
mysteries that aren’t slow and tiring with details, but they are quick and fun
children as detectives, who aren’t immature, but they’re determined
just the right amount of family drama
crimes that are in your capacity to solve.

Initial thoughts:
1. I really liked the setting and the fact that everything was so British. The house, the guests and even the tea party. Loved the setting!
2. The crime isn’t
Readalong BFFBD(ony): QUARTA PARTE 7 30 Nov 12, 2017 07:25AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): TERZA PARTE 13 35 Nov 12, 2017 04:03AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): PRIMA PARTE 34 74 Nov 11, 2017 06:40AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): SECONDA PARTE 13 49 Nov 11, 2017 02:51AM

• The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020
  • The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
  • The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #2)
  • Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose: Secret Agents, #1)
  • Spies in St. Petersburg (Taylor and Rose Secret Agents, #2)
  • The Lost Twin (Scarlet and Ivy #1)
  • The Whispers in the Walls (Scarlet and Ivy, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Peacock (The Sinclair's mysteries #4)
  • The Dance in the Dark (Scarlet and Ivy #3)
  • The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Painted Dragon (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #3)
  • The Lights Under the Lake (Scarlet and Ivy #4)
  • The Silver Serpent (Agatha Oddly, Book 3)
  • The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly, #1)
  • Mystery & Mayhem: Twelve Deliciously Intriguing Mysteries
  • The Curse in the Candlelight (Scarlet and Ivy, #5)
  • The Last Secret (Scarlet and Ivy, #6)
  • The Vanishing Trick
Robin's books are: Murder Most Unladylike (Murder is Bad Manners in the USA), Arsenic for Tea (Poison is Not Polite in the USA), First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Mistletoe and Murder, Cream Buns and Crime, A Spoonful of Murder, Death in the Spotlight and Top Marks for Murder. She is also the author of The Guggenheim Mystery, the sequel to Siobhan Dowd's The London Eye Mystery.

Robin was born i

Murder Most Unladylike Mystery (9 books)
  • Murder Most Unladylike: A Wells & Wong Mystery (Murder Most Unladylike Mystery, #1)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mystery, #4)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • Death Sets Sail (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #9)