Start by marking “The Lunch Witch” as Want to Read:
The Lunch Witch

The Lunch Witch

(Lunch Witch #1)

For generations and generations, the women of Grunhilda’s family have stirred up trouble in a big, black pot. Grunhilda inherits her famous ancestors’ recipes and cauldron, but no one believes in magic anymore.  Despite the fact that Grunhilda’s only useful skill is cooking up potfuls of foul brew, she finds a job listing that might suit her: lunch lady. She delights in sc ...more
Paperback, First Printing, 180 pages
Published March 17th 2015 by Papercutz

To ask other readers questions about The Lunch Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lunch Witch

Melki
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Grunhilda, a down-on-her-luck witch, is perusing the want ads when this one catches her eye:

LUNCH LADY
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CAFETERIA
GOOD COOKS NEED NOT APPLY

Due to her lack of criminal record, and her desire to make children gag, she's hired.

Hijinks ensue when she meets Madison, a young girl who's convinced of her own stupidity.

Gasp!

Can Grunhilda's "tender feelings" toward Madison be the new norm, or will she follow her ancestors' advice and dump the girl in the pond?

Read this delightfully messy a
Calista
Grunhilda is a real live witch and she finds the perfect job for herself being a lunch lady and serving some gross food to kids.

This is a great story for middle grade kids looking for a darker humor and subject. It does play on the stereotype of witch.

I won't go on with the series, but I did think this was a fun little story and not the normal sunny middle grade fair that is typical out there.
Mariah Roze
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
My students love graphic novels, so I am trying to get myself more into them. I picked out this one because I thought it would be a fun to read around Halloween. And it totally was! I plan to read the second book when my library gets it.

It was a quick read with "middle school" gross graphics. They did a great job on this book!
Melissa Chung
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. So far out of all the graphic novels I read today. This one is my favorite.

Grunhilda is a (real) witch living in Salem, Massachusetts. She used to be a (fake) witch at the Salem Haunted Museum, but people complained she wasn't scary enough. Without a job to pay for food for her many bats, dog and spider...Grunhilda is desperate. She looks in the want ads and sees a job for Lunch Lady at the Salem Elementary school. She meets Madison C. a new student, who is failing and i
Dov Zeller
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Strange, funny, grotesque, beautiful. A witch is very good at making gross things and has no criminal record, and so is hired to work in a school cafeteria. There she meets Madison, a student who has her own set of challenges, and who, realizing Grunhilda is a witch, tries to, ah, convince Grunhilda to help her.

The storyline feels a bit thin, so I am between a 3 and a 4, but I will go to 4 because it's just so wonderfully off and gorgeously unappealing.

I think my most and least favorite scene
David Schaafsma
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-children, tweens
This is a darkly humorous story of a lunch witch who mistakenly (not her fault!) turns a little girl into a frog. Beautifully drawn story that we are told is the first in a series. Feels to me like it has the legs for a series; plenty of funny characters, school-based, lunch-lady and terrible-school-lunch-based. I smiled a lot as I read it on the train and will see if smaller people in my house concur.
Phillip Vincent
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Spooky yet still age appropriate. Most importantly? This is hilarious and engaging. I laughed out loud in the bookstore several times as I read. I am in love with the Silverstein-esque illustrations and abrupt dialogue. Everything is to the point and doesn't pander. Perfect graphic novel for all ages.
Stacy Fetters
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
What caught my attention about this was the art. It reminded me so much of Steadman, the great Fear And Loathing artist. So, I had to read it.

A Witch needed a job after her potion business went under. So, she did the next best thing and became a lunch lady.

Filled with all sorts of black humor and true tales of a mean old hag who turns into a lunch lady.... who did you know makes meatloaf out of sawdust.... and she spits in the food...... while also curdling the milk. What a Witch!!!

Not as great
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 STARS

(Review Not on Blog)

I have always been fascinated with witches so I often will read anything to do witches, lol. I picked this up at work as it looked funny and it was! It is a cute graphic novel about a witch, Grunhilda, who finds a job as a lunch lady and an opportunity to do bad things. And, when she meets Madison, a young odd girl, she finds that she wants to help the young girl. Helping Madison goes against Grunhilda's mission.
Brenda Kahn
No one appreciates a good witch anymore. When Grunhilde has to close up shop, the only job she can find is as a lunch lady in a nearby school where a hapless, constantly tardy, misunderstood student figures out she's a witch and demands a potion that will fix her. Quirky, snarky, dark and delicious. This is a unique addition to the graphic novel collection. Looking forward to more in this new series.
Tasha
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What is a witch to do when no one believes in magic anymore? She has her family’s potion recipes and cauldron, but that’s about it. Then she realizes that there is one perfect job for someone who creates horrible brews – being a lunch lady! So Grunhilda becomes a lunch lady, one who scares all of the children. But Madison isn’t scared of Grunhilda despite the fact that she is the one person who knows that she is not what she seems. Madison has enough knowledge to blackmail the witch, but that’s ...more
Raina
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel, j
Quirky GN about a witch that gets a job as a cafeteria worker.
The style is key here - and not super accessible, as cool as the stained-looking pages might be. More niche than I expected. But those page treatments are awesome!
Alyssa
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A graphic novel found in the kids section - very appropriate for kids but is one of those stories / styles that you might appreciate differently at different ages. I loved the dark humor and messy / loose drawing style. The artwork had great 'personality'.
Andréa
It's a little bit weird and a little bit icky, but I actually really liked it.

Note: I received a digital galley of this book from the publisher.
Leisa
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Graphic Novel for the Wimpy Kid crowd. Gotta say I laughed out loud a few times, so it can appeal to adults as well as the younger set.
Cat
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a hoot! A witch becomes a lunch lady at the local school in order to make ends meet (no one Really believes in magic...) she had been a "fake " witch at the Salem Museum, but had lost her job. Now a witch at a school is truly an interesting thought, so, of course, it's a terrific read! Kids 5th grade up are going to enjoy reading this story. So will any one else who picks it up, after all we ALL went to schools and ate in cafeterias! Now we understand the food a bit better! Fun read wit ...more
Lisa H
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I love that the book looks like it has been hanging out in a gross kitchen for a while. I feel like I'd end up like Grunhilda if I were an evil witch.
Jordan
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved the setup for The Lunch Witch. A real witch named Grunhilda works at the Salem Haunted Museum as a fake witch, and is fired for not being scary enough. Needing to feed all of her bats and dog, she must find a new job. It looks grim out there, until she finds the perfect job for her to work on her potions and recipes … an elementary school lunch lady.

Things get a little dicey when Grunhilda bumps into Madison. She starts to believe that Madison is on to her witchy ways, and while it’s al
Ms. Yingling
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Grunhilda's business goes under when no one wants to buy magic potions anymore, and she gets fired from her job at the Salem Witch Museum after an altercation with her boss, so she applies to be a lunch lady at a local elementary school. Rumors circulate when the children talk about her horrible cooking, but she manages to elude detection. The entire book will be 180 pages, but the preview edition only covers the first 6 chapters. The illustrations are very dark and creepy, and I can imagine tha ...more
Krista
Reason for the 2 stars, the illustrations. Otherwise, this book would have a 1 star.

Started off really good. A witch that gets fired from her job scaring people. Taking a job as a lunch lady. She's conflicted about helping a young girl at school because she can't be a good witch.

The story went on to be a bit disgusting, which was fine. But it fell flat after half way when the story was seem to go in odd directions. Things were defeated to easily, surprise amnesia took place, and things were no
Steph
This was a quick read, but I didn't like the grimy feel of it. I guess all the grossness in this book might appeal to kids. The pages are dark beige, with ambient marks that look like dirty smudges and food stains on the pages. And of course, there's the expected disgusting school lunches, frogs, nose hairs, and other ickiness. It all certainly helps to set a specific tone!

But I enjoyed the fact that this book is set in Salem, Mass. And my favorite character was Grunhilda's smart but skittish do
Nancy Kotkin
Because no one believes in magic anymore, a witch is forced to take a job as a lunch lady in order to feed herself and her various pets. Funny and irreverent and sometimes gross, but no toilet humor (which is refreshing). My favorite of the quirky characters is the dog. The bats are fun, too. The choice of paper color makes it difficult to see the details of the art, though the distressed paper treatments help to set the darkly humorous mood. Look forward to the second installment in this new gr ...more
Lisa (Nfinite.Pages)
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I wanted to read a Graphic Novel and someone handed me this just because they had it. It's my first Graphic Novel and I enjoyed it. This book is funny, quick, I loved the fact that what was happening affected the book. So there was a portion where there was a fire and it looked like a page was burned. Reading this has definitely peaked my interest in Graphic Novel. Even though this is more of a young kids book, I still read it and loved it.
Steph Myers
Quirky and different. I like the food-stained pages with the graphics overlaid as if the book had been left in a greasy cafeteria. Old Grunhilda the Blackheart really has a heart of gold-ish. She really wants to be mean, but Madison seems to get through to her. Neither are the smartest in their classes and one fail leads to another until both of them are in a swamp (one's a frog) trying to fix the mess they have created. It's funny and kid-appropriate without the cute factor.
Dolores
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
When people stop believing in magic, where does an out-of-work witch go to find employment? A school cafeteria, of course! Serving nasty slop and curdling the milk is a dream job for Grunhilda, until a pint-size girl figures out her secret and blackmails her in exchange for some help. It's against a witch's code to help, but Grunhilda is up against a wall. Of course, things don't exactly work out quite the way they are planned. Plenty of humor and heart.
Lindsay
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it so much. All the gross-out humor, the spells, the dead witches, the totally ordinary girl, the tomato stains on the pages. It reminded me of my favorite book from childhood, Malcolm Bird's The Witch's Handbook, and I'm so excited that this is just the first of a series.

********
Read Harder: Non-superhero comic that debuted in the last three years.
Amy
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This book lacks some of the unnerving atmospheric creeptacularness of a Through the Woods but I'll give this book major props for being a quickie read about a witch who's going "soft." My kids will like flipping through this one on those days when they complain there's nothing "good" to read.
Susan  Dunn
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
When Grunhilda the witch has to close her potion shop, she is forced to take a job as a school lunch lady. She takes great pleasure in scaring the kids and serving them spoonfuls of sludge, but then she starts to notice one girl, Madison, who stands out from the rest. She too is always alone and struggling to fit in. But witches are supposed to be mean! What is Grunhilda to do?
Stephanie
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I had no idea what this was going to be about- I literally just picked it up off the shelf and took it home and read it in one sitting. I laughed and laughed the whole way through. We can all relate and chuckle to the school humor but the witchy bits were just a riot. I'm happy to have discovered this author/artist and will explore more titles from Papercutz graphic novels.
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Liked it! Quirky fun. Sketchy art perfectly fits a sketchy witch. Story is interesting and different.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Rutabaga the Adventure Chef (Adventure Chef #1)
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • Fangbone! Third-Grade Barbarian
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Princeless, Vol. 3: The Pirate Princess
  • Lost in NYC: A Subway Adventure
  • Hilda and the Black Hound (Hilda, #4)
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • The Case of the Good Boy (Bad Machinery, #2)
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta