Start by marking “Positive” as Want to Read:
Positive

Positive

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  1,927 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews

In the bestselling vein of Guillermo Del Toro and Justin Cronin, the acclaimed author of Chimera and The Hydra Protocol delivers his spectacular breakout novel—an entertaining page-turning zombie epic that is sure to become a classic.

Anyone can be positive . . .

The tattooed plus sign on Finnegan's hand marks him as a Positive. At any time, the zombie virus could explode

Published April 21st 2015 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Positive, please sign up.
Wondmagegn Abraham Normally I don't like reading post apocalyptic books. However, last year I began reading this book mistaking the ganre for epic fantasy. After reading…moreNormally I don't like reading post apocalyptic books. However, last year I began reading this book mistaking the ganre for epic fantasy. After reading the first chapter, I couldn't stop it. While I was at work or in bed all I could think about is finishing the book. When I finally finished the book I was disappointed that the book doesn't have a sequel. Smooth story telling and amazing characters. One of my favorites (less)

Trudi
Carol! I am so glad I didn't make you suffer through this with me. I took one for the team!

Oh my bleeding eyeballs, but I am very disheartened to report that very little in this book's almost 500 pages did anything for me. Despite the zombies, despite the post-apocalyptic landscape, despite the grappling, unending confrontations with human depravity and the silver threads of uncovering and recovering pieces of our humanity --- ALLLLL of my favorite things -- David Wellington's Positive still man
Carol.
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: committed zombie fans

See Finn and his parents. See Finn leave New York. See Finn fight off a scary woman. See Finn meet a man traveling with young girls. See Finn fight off scary man. See Finn fail to develop worldliness. See Finn act like dumb Knight in Shiny Armor. See Finn get beat forty different times. See carol wish she could slap some sense into Finn.

Serves me right, you say. What am I doing reading zombie books and expecting great literature? Because zombies are Other, but they were people, and it is fascina
Susan May
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I read this book in early January and it is still one of my favorite books of the year. Thought I'd add my review here to share my love. This is one of those books that you don't want it to end.

Not a zombie fan? Me neither. I enjoy Walking Dead, (not to the same degree as my teenage son), but then it isn’t about the zombies, is it? It’s about people surviving in a post-apocalyptic world, the politics and the break-down of society. The zombie killings are for the fun of it, yes? So I wasn’t thin
Bonnie
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

‘It grows in the dark part of your head like a fungus. All the while eating holes in your brain until it’s a sponge full of virus […] That was what had happened to my mom. For twenty years, ever since the crisis, she’d been dying inside. A little more every day.

And maybe it had been happening to me, too.’

Finn has lived within the sheltered gates since he was born. The world outside is a complete mystery, yet the stories he’s heard has made him thankful for his safe and
AH
About 3.5 stars.
In a way, this book kind of reminded me of Julie Kagawa's Blood of Eden series but instead of vampires, we have zombies and people who have tested positive for the zombie virus. Positive is a new spin on the zombie apocalypse story. In Positive, the zombie apocalypse occurred about 20 years earlier. People live in the relative safety of walled cities. Our hero hails from Manhattan, where the subways are flooded and provide some fishing for our hero Finn and his buddy Ike. The zo
Jason
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
4 Stars

Positive by David Wellington was a pleasant surprise. I have truly been tired of the whole flesh eating, walking dead zombie scene. I cannot stomach another teen angst post apocalyptic puke fest. I am as turned off to the genre-gone-pop culture now, as much as I was once turned off to vampires a la Twilight. I am just bored of reading the same thing over and over again.

Wellington does this one right in that he gives us a protagonist worth routing for and a person worth caring about. Finn
Timothy Ward
It has been awhile since I’ve been so engrossed in a zombie book. Wellington does a tremendous job adding subtle twists to the genre while delivering increasing tension as the adventure unfolds. Not many zombie stories are about the post-post apocalypse, and I was fascinated at how this second generation of survivors survived. The concept of how the virus incubates was very clever and presented a new kind of unsuspecting horror.

I loved our main character, Finn, and the main female lead, Kylie. V
Yodamom
4.6
New York City, Manhattan at leaf is still holding on. The surrounding cities are left to rot. The zombies, control them, living in the crumbling ruins. Manhattan is semi safe, not having seen a zombie in over 15 years. The island is a sort of safe zone, but still few dare to go down to street level, old fears die hard. When a young second generation boy catches a strange cockroach type thing and brings it home for dinner his whole word changes.
Positives, people exposed to the virus are sent o
Rikke
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I haven't much to say about this one, except it's lengthy. Or at least it feels a lot longer than one might expect. It's not that it's bad, it's just not all that captivating either. At times it could be a 2,5-3 stars read, but in the end it wasn't for me.
Bob Milne
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Given that I've grown rather tired of zombies, dystopian futures, and coming of age angst, it's surprising how much I enjoyed Positive. It's neither great literature nor a genre blockbuster, but David Wellington's latest is an entertaining tale of survival against all odds with just enough flourishes of creativity to (almost) balance out the moments of deus ex machina.

This is a story told in arcs, the first of which is actually the most interesting, as it establishes the world one generation rem
paula
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
All Things Urban Fantasy
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-kim
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

POSITIVE's post apocalyptic America is a scary place: walled cities that are barely surviving, a terrifying death cult moving in from the west, and endless stretches of open road with zombies at every turn. It's a wild, wild ride.

Finnegan is exiled from New York at 18, but he still feels very much like a child. He is a second-generation survivor, and he doesn't understand why the first-generation are so quick to panic. When he is thrust from the relati
⋟Kimari⋞
If I am reading scifi set on earth, I expect a semblance of recognizable science. The world building and science in Positive are nonsensical. I had similar issues with Partials (see my review). These passages are just a few that didn't work for me.

(view spoiler)
Saraquael
Apr 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
The premise of the book was unique, but the author chose to fill his zombie world with the worst genre cliches imaginable. You've got The Hero (alternate title of this book should be 'Finnegan Explains It All'), The Princess (a sex slave, of course, with typical rape victim emotional issues), The Castle (aka, let's steal Alexandria from The Walking Dead, wall and all, and just run with it), and in between there's a whole host of lawless baddies (including both soldiers and pirates) who only exis ...more
Michelle Morrell
Another YA zombie book, with noble heroes and bad people doing bad things to them. I found this to be pretty gritty in parts, though, above the typical YA glossings, and I appreciated the Mad Max feel to the first traveling sections. I also liked how the main character, Finn, never gave up and persevered against all odds to do what he thought was right, even if it was the "stupid" choice. It wasn't the most realistic portrayal of survival but it was engaging.
Erica
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Joanie. Joanie. Joanie. And Tasha. Dystopia's finest. This is a good one. Sometime I thought I wanted to linger where he was a bit longer "to see what it was like" but in the end...yes. Not a literary work if genius but GREAT apocalypse stuff. Read soon. Very worthwhile.
Courtney
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars

Anyone who knows me, knows that I will read just about anything that grabs from the blurb and cover. Positive was one of those and I was thankful to be given an arc of this book.

Positive is a post-apocalyptic book. Twenty years after the virus and zombies took over the world. Two generations left in the world - 1st generation (those who were able to live through it all) and 2nd generation (those who born after it and expected to continue on).

We follow Finn through his journey once he is
Cheryl
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
As far as post-apocalyptic books go this is a good book. I found the world really believable. It takes place twenty years after most of the population has been decimated. So I could understand the rest of the human race's need to loot and fight each other. If you are living day by day just trying to survive and it is a dog eat world than you may have to kill just to survive as only the strongest and smartest survive.

In this book it really is the humans that are the strongest presence and not th
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This book was pretty gritty, intense, and dark. I can see why people would dnf or hate this book simply because this book does not hesitate to show you how shitty people are, how fucked up things can be. This book also shows us that there are still some good things left in bad situations.

This book reminded me of a more hardcore The Walking Dead tv show-esque novel (granted I've only watched up to season 4). Consider the show a warm-up.

Don't get me wrong, the M.C. did some really stupid shit som
Stasia
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nom-nom-zombies
Through out Finn's entire journey I had no idea what was going to happen or how things would turn out. It does take place 20 years after the zombie apocalypse so they have become something of norm of the everyday living. This story was really about how people have made a life for themselves and how many have turned into the monsters they have living among them.
David
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, an excellent end-of-the-world thriller. Lots of smart things to say about the way civilization falls apart and then potentially gets reborn.
Courtney
Nov 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Jason Jauron
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was a competent enough read...
But the zombie genre is a bloated genre...
And this type of zombie-post-nuclear-savage lands-point of view-survival, etc has just been done better by a myriad of other authors.
Not a horrible book, but it just doesn't stack up to its peers.
Cathryn
Jul 14, 2015 marked it as to-read
7/14/15: $1.99 on Amazon Kindle.
Rich Mintz
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Look. I read to the end, and I liked it, and I wish he'd hurry up and write a sequel. It's like the 80th zombie novel I've read in 5 years, so I'm not exactly proud of myself. But I liked it!
Xxertz
I was torn between "OK" and "I like it" for this book, but, in the end, I don't think I ever really cared about thr characters. Sure, I was rooting for them and appreciated the growth.
Kristin
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, dystopian
Usually when you come across a zombie story, it takes place during the outbreak or maybe a few years into it. Positive is the story of the zombie apocalypse decades after it wrecked havoc on humanity. Finn has no clue what it was like out there in the world when the zombies started popping up. He doesn’t know what it’s like to fight of hordes, be terrified all the time, or watch people get attacked. He grew up in a city that’s well protected from zombies. They grow their own food, and lead a nor ...more
Lisa Flores
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I already was a fan of David Wellington. He writes kick ass vampire books and, as it turns out, kick ass zombie apocalypse books. This book was, at times, like a "Tess of the D'Ubervilles" set in a zombie apocalypse. When you think shit cannot get worse for Finn, sometimes it does, sometimes he gets lucky. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Darcy Leerhoff
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-k, own-bot
20 years after the zombie apocalypse, 20 yro's, travel, fighting, hope, well-rounded, validation ending.
  • The Silence
  • Omega Days (Omega Days, #1)
  • The Savage Dead
  • Vacation (Jack Murphy, #1)
  • Among the Living
  • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
  • Killing Secrets (Nan Vining Mysteries #5)
  • Flask of the Drunken Master (Shinobi Mystery, #3)
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Breaking News: An Autozombiography
  • Apocalypse Weird: The Dark Knight
  • Fall of Night (Dead of Night, #2)
  • This Dark Earth
  • The Condemned
  • Invasion (The Walking Dead #6)
  • Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • Hissers
  • Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box
David Wellington is a contemporary American horror author, best known for his Zombie trilogy as well as his Vampire series and Werewolf series. His books have been translated into eleven langauges and are a global phenomenon.

His career began in 2004 when he started serializing his horror fiction online, posting short chapters of a novel three times a week on a friend’s blog. Response to the projec
More about David Wellington

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $6.99 $1.99
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“For the first time I got a good look at the woman who, despite avowed intentions, had saved my life. I was surprised first to see that she was old. Her hair was silver, tied back behind her head in a no-nonsense bun. Her face was lined with wrinkles. On her head she wore a hat with a very wide brim, a kind of hat I’d never seen before. She also wore tight-fitting black pants and black leather boots and a brown leather jacket. A patch on her shoulder read PENNSYLVANIA STATE POLICE TROOPER. On the front of her jacket was a nameplate that read CAXTON.” 1 likes
“Nothing lasts forever, not even the horrors in this life.” 1 likes