Start by marking “My Brother Is A Superhero (My Brother is a Superhero, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Brother Is A Superhero (My Brother is a Superhero, #1)

My Brother Is A Superhero

(My Brother is a Superhero #1)

Luke is a comic-mad eleven-year-old who shares a treehouse with his geeky older brother, Zach. Luke’s only mistake is to need a wee right at the wrong moment. While he’s gone, an alien gives his undeserving, never-read-a-comic-in-his-life brother superpowers, then tells him to save the universe. Luke is massively annoyed about this, but when Zach is kidnapped by his arch-n ...more
Published July 2nd 2015 by Nosy Crow

To ask other readers questions about My Brother Is A Superhero, please sign up.
Conal In chapter 7 Zack stops a bus from crashing

Oda Renate
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The blurb on the front says that you will laugh till you fall down youre three house.A great blurb which is also very much true.
This book will make you in a better or just a good mood(if you were in a bad one first).
The world is very much our own with a few sci-fiction elements to it, so its not hard to understand.
The characters in the book are different so everybody will find some to relate to.+++
Need I say more?
Read it or be in the stupid 1 %.
Poppy
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Brother is a superhero is a hooking novel with pages filled with humour! In this book, Luke guides his big brother Zack through being a superhero called Star Lad! Together, will they be able to stop Nemesis?

A thrilling tale by David Solomons, and I am looking forward to reading more.
Robin Stevens
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super-smart, super-funny and superheroic, this is a deserving Waterstones Prize winner. I loved it!
Jenn - Reviews
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the kids I read to at school - "It's very good, interesting and very funny. It's creative and we can't wait to see what happens next all the time."
Matt Woods
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I brought this book because the cover captured my artistic eye; I felt an urge of certainty that even if the story was terrible, it would look amazing on my bookshelf. However, I wanted to hold the book and turn its pages to discover whether or not the story matched the wondrous cover.

Luckily my instincts proved to be correct. The story is fantastic! Three words describe this novel: funny, thrilling and entertaining. The story fills you with a typical sense of envy when Luke's brother becomes a
Miss Cleveland
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
I picked this up with a couple of reluctant readers in mind, thinking it would be one of those books that while personally, I didn't really enjoy, would be great for them. How wrong was I?

Sharp humour, comic plot devices stand-ups would be proud of, great characterisation, and references to comics and TV from my childhood made this a really enjoyable read.

Luke is a massive comic book fan and dreams of being a Superhero. While he nips out of the tree house for a wee, his studious, maths loving br
Duncan Wilson
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
LOVED IT!!

I think this will be as much a fun for adults as children.

Great Cover and illustrations by Laura Ellen Anderson.

There is some great dialogue. Here are a few of my faves:
“”the first rule of a superhero: you can’t go round using your powers for vegetable preparation”
“One does not simply walk into a heavily fortified secret volcano headquarters “

Loved the main characters: Luke Parker is a great character and whilst making some flawed decisions is well meaning and a person that has many po
Mrs G
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has been on my TBR pile for ages and I kept putting it off as there were always other books that appealed to me more. I don't know what I was expecting but I loved this book! (Wish I'd picked it up sooner) VERY funny (without being silly) and an exciting plot that keeps you hooked. This book would be perfect for any 9ish plus comic book/superhero fans: I can think of several I shall be thrusting it upon! I need to look up David Solomons' other books.
Marie the Librarian
It was a bit predictable, but its also quite funny and also original. I bet kids who LOVE superheroes will dig this book.
Hobbes
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens

This is a deserved winner of the Waterstones Book Prize for middle grade readers. It's great for all ages in fact, especially those of us nerds who love superheroes, supervillains and Star Wars as there are a plethora of references throughout. And, there is humour on every page.

Comic book fanatic Luke goes for a wee and misses the chance to be endowed with superpowers to save two universes. Yes, two universes. And to make matters worse, his nerdy goody-two-shoes and never-read-a-comic in his lif
Charlie
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Not the sort of book I would normally pick up but it is full of fun references and the character of Serge is pure brilliance. In fact, the main trio are funny and a joy to read about. Lots of fun and full of adventure.
Chris Callaghan
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Genuinely hilarious. Jam packed with great lines and crazy situations. I loved every page. I never want to go for a wee again, just in case ...
Ben James Connor
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
An entertaining read with plenty of Superhero in-jokes and references. The characters are a little 1 dimensional , however the plot is engaging and I can see KS2 children enjoying this book.
Michelle Sonnier
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this with my son a chapter at a time as bedtime stories. He loved it and would beg for additional chapters almost every night (excellent behavior modification reward). I thought some of the tropes were a little old, and some of the plot twists obvious, but this is a middle grade novel and I've been an avid reading grownup for *mumblemumble* years. It's a very nice book for the audience it's aimed at.
Kacey
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book. I love superheroes and it's clear that the author loves them, too. He packs a lot of references and comic book knowledge into the story, but does it in a natural way. It's cleverly written, the narrator has a great voice and sense of humor, the actual super powers are cool and make sense, and the climax is engaging and exciting.

What I especially loved about this book was that it was the non-powered ones who eventually saved the day. Everyone can relate to wanting to be
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Solomons, David My Brother is a Superhero, 290 pgs. Penguin Random House, 2015. $16.99. Language: PG (1 swear, 0 Fs); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG.

11-year-old Luke knows everything about superheros. He has a great collection of comic books, went to Super Hero camp, and wants to be one more than anything else in the world. Then his older brother Zach got turned into a super hero by a random visit of an alien spaceship while Luke was in the bathroom! It should have been him! But it wasn’t, and
Beth
I freaking (accidentally) loved this book - 5*

Okay, I bought this for my class to read as one of them loves superheroes. (Proud!) I didn't mean to read it. Honestly, I didn't. I accidentally forgot my Kindle yesterday and I couldn't travel to York without a book so I just picked it up...

I nearly missed my goddamn stop over this bus. I was so absorbed, I nearly arrived in Manchester. Now that would have been a disaster.

This book is hilarious and I laughed out loud way too much and I'm not asham
Debbie Tanner
This is on our Sunshine State Young Reader List for 3-5 grades and it is hilarious. It's about a boy named Luke who is crazy about super hero comics. He's in the treehouse with his brother Zach (who is a do-gooder) and he has to go to the bathroom. While he's gone, Zach has a visit from an outer space being who gives him super powers. Luke is at once eaten up with jealousy and trying to help Zach with his super powers. It turns out Zach has been tasked with dealing the Nemesis, which he doesn't ...more
Anne Beardsley
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
What happens when you are a hopeless comic geek and your dull, uncommunicative, math-nerd older brother suddenly gets superpowers?

It's the story of an eleven-year-old whose whole life changes when somebody else has to save the world. Although he's technically on the periphery, our hero will have to learn to:
1) talk to girls
2) take responsibility for his own life
3) communicate with his older brother
4)keep secrets
5)face impending death with a cool head
6)overcome the world's most deserved case of s
Pam
Jun 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like much about this book. The only redeeming factor was the references to actual comic book characters that I get a kick out of since my husband is an expert on such matters. I just read that the author is a screenplay writer...I think he should stick to that, the action scenes were certainly well thought out, but the writing was choppy, the characters were boring....I thought it would've been cool if the author had tried to "trick" us into thinking the brother was a superhero when rea ...more
Miss Lynham
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ks2, read-2017
A fantastic, funny and engaging novel suitable for Key Stage 2 pupils. This one will defintely capture the imagination of both boys and girls. A great book to get reluctant boy readers excited about disappearing into the world of a book. This book was acutally recommended to me by a pupil who had discovered it and loved it.
Enjoyed reading this as an adult and as a teacher will look forward to sharing this with my class next academic year.
I am also very much looking forward to seeing what the seq
Camilla Chester
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very funny, bordering on hilarious at times.

If you like Shield, Marvel, Comic Strips - anything with Superheroes in then this is a definite read for you.

Skilfully written - played out very visually. The only criticism I would say is that although the main girl character was strong I would've loved to seen a more diverse cast. Lots of white middle class boys and I'm sure that's not representative of lovers of superheroes is it?!

Great villain - reminded me of the Number One Fan in Incredibles.
Aimee
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
So this book gets 4 stars just because it was pure fun for my kids. They really, really got into it and my oldest promptly got the sequel from the library so he could continue the story with these fun and relate-able characters. And I always love books more when I see how much my kids love them and at the same time aren't painful for me to read! There were a couple parts when the kids were belly laughing on the floor! Solomons is a good, smart writer and the story was a great blend of adventure ...more
Ondrej Bures
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the kind of book that I'd have loved back when I was 10 years old. That being said, I'm not sure I'm proud of saying that I still enjoyed it quite a lot. I experienced this book as an audiobook and this is exactly the type of a book that I can follow during my travels on bicycle. I'm giving it 3.5 but mostly because I'm an adult and I shouldn't like this kind of books (however there are some story flaws as well that I'm not mentioning here).
Jeni
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Luke is an expert on superheros and is therefore totally gutted when his older brother Zach just happens to be in the right pace at the right time to receive half a dozen super powers courtesy of a desperate alien. Luke is the real hero of this entertaining adventure story though, and he and his friends, with a little help from his brother, manage to save the world just in the nick of time. This was great, will definitely be picking up the sequel(s) at some point.
Brianna
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I ADORED this book! I checked it out on my libraries E-book collection and read it within a week. The characters are lively, the references to comics are fabulous and I love that I understood them all. The plot is hilarious, almost something akin to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I laughed several times during my reading. Would highly recommend for all superhero lovers of all ages.
Wendy
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Must admit I picked this book up because of the cover. But, it turns out to be a fun read. It`s geared towards younger readers, obviously, but if you`re an adult who likes superheroes, this will be enjoyable. ...more
Steph H
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Yes yes I know this is a children's book, but sometimes it's good to go for something a little more innocent.

This is a fun book for kids to listen to, and there's also some great humour that adults will enjoy. Plenty of nerdy references for both young and old.
Catherine Drake
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-stuff
This was bedtime reading for my year 3, 7 year-old boy. It was funny, engaging and easy to do voices for. A gentle send up of geek culture, the book was a comedy adventure and mystery story with a heartfelt message about family, friendship, loyalty and support.
Jamie
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ssyra-2017-18
3.5
I ended up liking this more than I thought I would. Kids who like superheroes will enjoy this tale of an older brother who gets gifted with superpowers and must save the world even though it is his younger brother who is into comic books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Wed Wabbit
  • The Secrets of Eastcliff-by-the-Sea: The Story of Annaliese Easterling  Throckmorton, Her Simply Remarkable Sock Monkey
  • Olivia's First Term
  • The Jamie Drake Equation
  • Catching a Storyfish
  • The Storybook Knight
  • Secrets of the Dragon Tomb (Secrets of the Dragon Tomb, #1)
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • Binny for Short (Binny, #1)
  • Buffalo Bird Girl: A Hidatsa Story
  • The Child's Elephant
  • Ferocious Fluffity: A Mighty Bite-y Class Pet
  • Stitch Head (Stitch Head #1)
  • Claude at the Beach
  • Framed! (Framed #1)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Pugs of the Frozen North
David Solomons has been writing screenplays for many years. His first feature film was an adaptation of ‘Five Children and It’ (starring Kenneth Branagh and Eddie Izzard, with gala screenings at the Toronto and Tribeca Film Festivals). His latest film is a romantic comedy set in the world of publishing, ‘Not Another Happy Ending’ (Karen Gillan, Iain de Caestecker), which closed the Edinburgh Inter ...more

My Brother is a Superhero (5 books)
  • My Gym Teacher is an Alien Overlord (My Brother is a Superhero, #2)
  • My Evil Twin is a Supervillain (My Brother is a Superhero, #3)
  • My Arch-Enemy is a Brain in a Jar (My Brother is a Superhero, #4)
  • My Cousin is a Time Traveller (My Brother is a Superhero, #5)
“THE [NOT] CHOSEN ONE My” 0 likes