Start by marking “Stinking Rich” as Want to Read:
Stinking Rich

Read Book

Stinking Rich

What could possibly go wrong when the backwoods Libidos Motorcycle Club hires a high school dropout to tend a barn full of high-grade marijuana? Plenty, it turns out. In a world where indoor plumbing’s optional and each local wacko is more twisted than the last, drug money draws reprobates like moths to a lantern. From loveable losers to gnarly thugs and law-and-order wann ...more
Published September 8th 2014 by Down & Out Books (first published August 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Stinking Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stinking Rich

Josh
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of fun reading STINKING RICH. Author Rob Brunet’s style can be likened to Carl Hiaasen (author of SKINNY DIP) and Marc Lecard (author VINNIES HEAD) in that STINKING RICH deftly trapeses the genre defying tight rope swaying either side of black humour and serious crime – well, at least in the minds of the biker gangsters.

For lead character Danny Grant, crime paves the way for some easy cash – and as for a murder rap? Well, that was an accident – the baseball bat, the dog, and the dec
Lisa Nikolits
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stinking Rich is wicked, exuberant, and delightfully hilarious! Rob Brunet is a wonderful writer and his characters are crafted to perfection. Compelling, lovable and disaster-prone, you really will laugh out loud as you follow the foibles and failings that come with lives teetering close to the edge of catastrophe. And, if comparison must be sought, I'd say that Stinking Rich is the crossroads where Carl Hiaasen meets Hunter S. Thompson meets James Crumley… What's not to love?
Jill Edmondson
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific debut novel! A collection of lovable - and not so lovable - losers, an angry dog, a whack of pot and a stash of cash combine to make this a hilarious backwoods joyride. The dialogue is spot on, and the characters remind me of the guys my Dad forbid me to date. I look forward to Brunet's next book.
Col
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, b
Synopsis/blurb…….

Danny Grant figures he's hit the big time when he lands a job growing pot for a backwoods biker gang. The Libidos are picky about their hires and prone to radical pruning when members go rogue. Members like Perko Ratwick, the aspiring Road Captain who stretched club rules to hire young Danny, putting his own patch-never mind his life-on the line if the punk screws up. What could possibly go wrong with a high school dropout left unattended in a barn full of high-grade marijuana?
Paul
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drug dealers, bikers, crooked cops, shady lawyers, and high school dropouts, all double crossing and backstabbing each other. The story is part Carl Hiaasen, part Tim Dorsey. The surprise for me was it is written by a Canadian, and takes place in Canada. Loses one star because there are times when it just doesn't seamlessly flow together. But overall a very funny and enjoyable book.
zackxdig
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won this from the goodreads giveaway.

Bikers and stoner watching their crop of weed. Angry dog, baseball bat and dead friend. Buried with dog. Paranoid iguana. Jailed Stoney. Hijacked rv with granny in the back. Hidden money in an outhouse. Bikers and Indians and cops in a shoot out on an island because of the money and a personal vendetta.

Not a bad book, there were some good spots in it with some funny black humor types. Ending seems kind of abrupt.
Robert Parsons
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny crime story set in Ontario's cottage country, with a compelling cast of locals (the rural poor, drifters, bikers). The plot twists and turns, not because of some evil genius but because of the characters' mistakes--one of this book's great delights. A great first novel, looking forward to reading more.
Jennifer Soosar
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read with a cast of colourful, offbeat characters and a lot of laughs. Refreshing to read a crime story with "dumb criminals". The 'dialogue' between Danny and the lizard was one of my favourite parts. Looking forward to Rob Brunet's next novel.
John Kenny
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
High school drop out Danny has landed his dream job - tending a grow-op for an outlaw biker gang. The work is easy, the money's good and the dope is free. What could go wrong? Plenty as it turns out.

The grow-op burns, the cops raid the place, Danny accidental kills one of the other ne'er-do-well characters that populate the novel, and $750,000 of the bikers' money goes missing. Everyone starts scheming and backstabbing, trying to find and get away with the money.

Stinking Rich is a rollicking goo
Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book free from a Firstreads Giveaway.

It's a pretty good adventure/crime book. There's not a ton of action, but there is a lot of crime of all sorts. There are many characters and eventually you will keep them straight because they keep reappearing. Character development is limited, but there is enough of a backstory for some to give some depth. Others possess little quirks and traits ranging from comical to chariacture-esque, like a lawyer who's always trying to take what's not
Joanna
Dec 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, mystery
Despite reading a lot of generally favorable reviews, this book was just not my cup of tea. I like my main characters to be smart enough to NOT light up a joint in celebration of having escaped a drug sniffing dog.

Although parts of the story were amusing at times (I did like the grandma in the RV), it felt like a convoluted series of obstacles and increasingly ludicrous solutions. Also, the constant gush of bodily fluids (characters are never safe from a variety of circumstances that may leave
Dorothy Mcintosh

Cohen Brothers On Speed

My first thought as I became quickly engaged with Stinking Rich was that I was reading a script for a Coen Brother's movie and that feeling stayed with me throughout the book - in a good way! It's a rollicking, barnstormer of a novel populated by characters so true to type, it hurts. Brunet describes the underbelly of a rich people's vacation territory with panache, a marvellous ability with words and a great narrative that kept me interested. Incredible accomplishment for
Beth
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I met Rob Brunet at the 2014 BoucherCon in Long Beach and was captivated by his book's premise: What could possibly go wrong when a motorcycle club hires a high school drop out to tend a barn full of marijuana? Sadly, the book is neither as fun nor as interesting as this premise might suggest. All of the characters are self-absorbed knuckle-draggers, and many are cruel, so you end up rooting for no one. Ok, maybe the gecko.

The ending is the best part of the book.
Jack Getze
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-crime
Perko Ratwick won my heart, but this book is so full of crazy, half-baked characters, it wasn't an easy choice. Gosh, what a fun read. Brunet knows how to mix dumb people, dogs, pot and crime into the tastiest stew of a crime novel I've read in a while. You'll be laughing hard between the acts of violence and some of the nuttiest action I've ever read. Did I already say what a fun read? Ok then. Try it. There's even a lizard that kind of talks.
Tanis Mallow
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A howling good read. Stinking Rich will have you laughing out loud from the first chapter. Rob Brunet is a major talent in the the crime fiction world, braiding a twisted sense of humour with loveable loser characters and snappy, unexpected plot.

And while you're impatiently waiting for his next novel – having greedily devoured Stinking Rich – look for Brunet's short stories across the web and hanging out in some terrific anthologies.
Brian
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it's tough to go from a horror binge to crime fiction. The pacing was a little slow in the beginning as the book develops the characters, but by end of the novel, you're laughing at the stupidity of some, and shaking your head at the shenanigans of others.

A decent read for those who like quirky novels about yokels, buffoons and rubes.
Cookie
Aug 15, 2014 added it
reading...
This book is full of colorful and quirky characters. It is funny and has a lot of action.
Dee Willson
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious. Really, you gotta love a bunch of bumbling backwoods goons when they screw up. Get a copy, read it, then pass it to your hubby. :)
Thomas Pluck
Michael McPherson
Sep 10, 2014
Sebastian Romu
Oct 02, 2018
  • We Are The Hanged Man (DCI Jericho, #1)
  • Fireproof
  • Hap and Leonard
  • What Makes You Die
  • Federales
  • Stalk Me
  • Her Last Call to Louis MacNeice
  • The Big O
  • Dark Waters
  • Aurora: Meridian (Aurora, #3)
  • The Bitch
  • The Vanity Game
  • Good Money
  • Butterfly Skin
  • The Killing of Emma Gross
  • Top Suspense: 13 Classic Stories By 12 Masters Of The Genre
  • Gator Bait
  • Bite Harder
Rob Brunet’s debut novel is Stinking Rich , from Down & Out Books. His crime fiction appears in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, Thuglit, Crimespree, Shotgun Honey, Out of the Gutter, Noir Nation, and numerous anthologies. Before writing noir, Brunet ran a digital media boutique producing award-winning Web presence for film and TV, including LOST, Frank Miller’s Sin City, and the cult series Al ...more