Start by marking “Lost Souls: Book One of the Disciples of Cassini Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Lost Souls: Book One of the Disciples of Cassini Trilogy

Lost Souls: Book One of the Disciples of Cassini Trilogy

Author Penny de Byl shares a thrilling story that combines the mystery of a crime and police procedural, with science fiction. “Lost Souls” follows humankind’s fledgling endeavors to colonize space, but unfolds into the near future where science looks to religious tenets and beliefs when unethical medical practices lead to a series of baffling deaths.

The story unfolds alo
Published June 10th 2014 by Xlibris

To ask other readers questions about Lost Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Souls

Maryam
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I was one of the lucky winners of the First Reads giveaway of this book.

It is an interesting story with a cool sci-fi/mystery spin to it. The description of the book was rather vague so I didn't know exactly what to expect. When the story took on a more science-y turn I prepared myself for iffy pseudoscience but was pleasantly surprised in the end. The science in the story is legitimate and it's clear that the author did her research into the topics she wrote about.

The style of writing and gene
Rosie Amber
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lost Souls begins in Melbourne, Australia with the puzzling cause of death of David Layton. We are introduced to Detective Inspector Zoe Moore who will be leading the investigation.

Next the book introduces us to Marcela Warrick arriving in Sydney at Everjein Enterprises. She is an ecologist and is about to go on a five year experiment to simulate the possibility of inhabiting and surviving on other planets. In a world race to create off-world technology Everjein have created an experiment in Ant
Piper Gottschalk
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
I received this book as part of First-Reads. I quite enjoyed this and am looking forward to reading the second in the series.

First of all, I liked that it did not have a boring opening like some stories. It really got going and was interesting right away. It was a page-turner for me. I just about read it all in one go. If that isn't a sign of an enjoyable read, I'm not sure what is.

I wasn't surprised by any of the reveals toward the end, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I thought the pac
Elizabeth
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure about the space project theme initially wondering if it might wind up as one of those random, far fetched alien stories. Once I started reading it though I had trouble putting it down & was kept guessing till the end. Thankfully it wasn't a random alien story!! I think there was a great mix of characters who at times I found myself frustrated with or feeling incredulous about their views and such. This is something I love about a good book & ...more
Pam
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dane Stronach
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lost Souls by Penny de Byl is a fantastic journey into the human condition fusing technological advances, Science fiction and crime mystery. A well told narrative of scientific endeavour to gauge the possibility of off world colonization and mysterious real world death in inexplicable circumstances. This first installment of the Disciples of Cassini trilogy is a meaty read well worth the time spent unraveling its mysteries.
Prashna
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
This was just bizarre. I should just stick with YA dystopian/fantasy books. It wasn't terrible. But it wasn't great. And so many unnecessary characters. I think the entire topic of the book could have been approached differently? Or maybe the direction was alright but needed to be finessed a bit? All I know is this could have been better. Or maybe I have high expectations. I'm so confused.
Keisha Fladrick
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was one of the winners of this book's giveaway. I was incredibly lucky to receive it, and delighted to discover the author lived pretty close.
The story is incredibly original, and very interesting. I was enthralled by the mystery and tension, and loved the ideas the author had. Very similar to Michael Crichton's stories (except without the dinosaurs).
Bronwyn Green
Aug 04, 2014
Sherri Moorer
Feb 20, 2016
Penny de Byl
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tapu
Sarah Rosario
Kelly
Jaganya Naina

• Hasta la vista!
  • Legends of Marithia: War of Prophecies (3 Full Novel BOX SET)
  • Mystra: Chronicles of Mystra: Vol 1
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Novellas 2015
  • Initiation (Ava & The Trinity)
  • Book of Never: Volumes 1-3 (Book of Never, #1-3)
  • The Fire Mages (Brightmoon, #2)
  • Oasis in the Clouds (When Worlds Collide #1)
  • Germination (Zombies Are Human, #0.5)
  • Genesis Code
  • Paragon (Legacy Code, #2)
  • The Cogsmith's Daughter (Desertera #1)
  • The Story of Hong Gildong
  • The Unseen Promise (Tarkeenia Series #1)
  • Dare to Dream
  • The Legend of Zelda and Philosophy: I Link Therefore I Am
  • Omnilogos (Omnilogos, #1)
  • The Mystery Knight: A Graphic Novel (The Hedge Knight #3)
Penny de Byl is a professor of computer game design and development, artificial intelligence, animation, and educational technology. She has been awarded numerous awards for teaching and research throughout her twenty-year career. She has a PhD in artificial intelligence and computer game character programming.