Start by marking “The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)

The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  4,142 Ratings  ·  564 Reviews
Drama and danger abound in this fantasy realm where dukes play a game for the throne, magical warriors race to find the missing heir, and romance blossoms where it is least expected.

In a world where dukes plot their way to the throne, a Performer’s life can get tricky. And in Johanna Von Arlo’s case, it can be fatal. Expelled from her troupe after her father’s death, Johan
Published March 3rd 2015 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Storyspinner, please sign up.
Sarah I don't know; I just had this book along with a handful of others suggested to me and this is the only one I clicked on...and I will probably end up…moreI don't know; I just had this book along with a handful of others suggested to me and this is the only one I clicked on...and I will probably end up buying. I actually like it...the girl looks realistic, not airbrushed and I can picture her in the described setting for the book. Some covers are just too flowery, over-done or over-artsy. For me, I can appreciate the simplicity. But, that's just me.(less)
Becky THE STORYSPINNER is right on that line between PG and PG-13. There is no language, some mild kissing, but there a few fight scenes that could be…moreTHE STORYSPINNER is right on that line between PG and PG-13. There is no language, some mild kissing, but there a few fight scenes that could be considered violent. I sent this question out to a few people who had read it and they all thought it was PG, but I'm a little more sensitive to this topic than a lot of people. (less)

C.G. Drews
Ooh, I am a mixed ball of thoughts right now. I basically ADORED AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT the last 100-pages. But the first 300? Eh...no. And that did make for a rather tedious read, unfortunately.

...also that cover?! I HAVE TO SAY IT: it makes me dizzy. It looks like the free-zooming-photo-effect you use on picmonkey or whatever. AHEM. (Also Johanna is not an archer. She shoots a bow once in the book and it is so not part of the story like AT ALL. The cover designer needs a talking to.)

Ahem, BUT ONWA
Lola
Jun 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, but there are so many different point of views and characters - both primary and secondary ones - that I can't seem to get attached to any of them. Plus, every time a scene gets super interesting, the point of view (aka chapter) changes. UGH. DNF. At 23%.

Too bad, it had lots of potential.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed by this one. And not b/c I went into it with preconceived notions or expectations. Believe me, I've learned to not expect too much from new YA fantasy from new authors.

No, my disappointment in The Storyspinner is a strange and complex thing, but it mostly boils down to what could have been.

First of all, let me say that I think most YA fantasy lovers will absolutely adore this book. The heroine and her male counterpart are both
Ben Alderson
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first five star of the month and WOW this book was everything I needed.

Ok, reasons why I loved it

-Short chapters, and lots of them. Helped me read faster!
-lots of different points of view which I loved. I think 5 or 6 in total!
-really 'real world' fantasy setting, but then also this underlying fantasy element of magic in the form of Keepers.
-lots of twists and turns
-it is also a magical murder mystery in sorts!

I COULD RAVE ABOUT THIS SO MUCH, the author is kindly sending me book tw
Faye, la Patata
The tragedy of The Storyspinner was that it was not told well.

Once you see your fellow bloggers praising this book left and right, it's only natural to have had high expectations. The cover looked stunning, the title was very catchy, and its potential of becoming a blockbluster floated above it in big, bold letters. I mean, seriously, look at that beauty! Look at the premise! Drama and danger! A romance blossoming in the most unexpected of places! A game for the throne! Magical warriors racing f
Alyssa

Publication Date: March 3, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

In a world where dukes plot their way to the throne, a Performer’s
Pamela
It's always a slightly disconcerting feeling to rather dislike something that many other reviewers are praising from the rooftops. I question myself. Sometimes I even wonder if I'm reading the same book. Mostly, though, I just conclude that I'm seriously jaded.

Receiving an ARC of The Storyspinner by Becky Wallace was exciting, because it promised high fantasy. For me, high fantasy is one of my literary comfort foods. Sometimes, though, you can mess up a comfort food. Mashed potatoes can glob tog
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Ever since reading glowing reviews from a few trusted friends, I've been itching to get my hands on The Storyspinner, Becky Wallace's lush debut. I'm not really a huge fantasy girl, but this one was throwing off historical vibes - dukes, magical Keepers, and a lost princess - so you could count me in. Actually, the book reminded me of Poison Study, or more accurately what Poison Study should have been. The setting and the way magic is woven into the story are similar, but whereas I found Poison ...more
Keertana
I cannot pretend to have not enjoyed--quite thoroughly--The Storyspinner. Although its plot is nothing new--a classic fantasy, complete with magic, a stolen princess, and cutthroat politics--Wallace manages to write it with aplomb. The Storyspinner is told from multiple perspectives but the main plot lines follow Johanna, the daughter of Performers whose family is kicked out after her father dies during his last performance and the Keepers, a group of warriors with magical abilities. Johanna fin ...more
nick
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2015-favorites
Becky Wallace's debut novel, The Storyspinner, was an enchanting story full of life. It was such a delightful read and I honestly could not stop turning the pages because of how charming this story was. I, for one, can't wait to read more in this series.

I was worried when I started The Storyspinner and realized that there were going to be multiple POVs. I don't have a very good track record with them. However, Becky Wallace worked some kind of magic, because the multiple POVs in this book worked
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
We all know that good YA fantasy is hard to find. It’s where we find the brightest stars, but it’s also the most challenging of genres. For a debut author, writing in the same genre as Melina Marchetta, Kristin Cashore, Megan Whalen Turner, Rae Carson and many, many authors, can be very risky and, I assume, somewhat intimidating. After reading The Storyspinner, I believe Becky Wallace is one of the good ones. Not great just yet, but very promising indeed.

The Storyspinner is told from multiple po
Nikki
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This review can also be found at my blog, There were books involved...

-----------------------------

Final rating: 4.5 stars!

THE STORYSPINNER was an absolute delight -- and it was a total surprise to me. It wasn't even on my radar until a couple weeks before it came out! To be honest, I'm a little wary of starting new series lately, but right around its release date, there was quite a bit of talk on Twitter about it, so I thought, What the heck, and put it on hold at my library. Aaaaand then I r
TL
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun but not very compelling and never boring tale ... 3.5 stars.
(Probly not a grammar perfect sentence but oh well :-P)

When I read the premise for this, I was excited. It sounded like alot of fun and I loved the idea of an MC who was a Performer and StorySpinner. I was also a little wary, hoping the romance wouldn't overtake the plot and leave it in the background.

The world building and setting was interesting, I liked that it was sprinkled throughout the book and not shoved in our faces at ev
Booknut
Very reminiscent of books such as Morgan Rhodes' Falling Kingdoms series, The Storyspinner is a pleasing read.

The only flaws I could spot were:
1. The many, many POVs
2. How predictable the plot was

In the case of point #2, the plot was far too easy to guess (or maybe I just have superior sleuthing skills!). Evil characters seemed shifty from the start, the 'missing' princess could be spotted from a mile off and it was obvious to everyone that the two characters who hated each-other would end up sm
Jodi Meadows
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
Official comments:
Set in a rich, fully realized world of magic, legends, and political unrest, THE STORYSPINNER took me on an adventure I won’t soon forget. I can’t wait to find out what happens next!

Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Initial thoughts: Oh this one was great!! A romance I ship, awesome storyline, strong characters.

Read the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

Let's start with the synopsis because that's what really made me obsess and theorize over this book. The premise of this book is interesting and well developed. Keepers have magically ability who live on one side of the magical boundary while humans live on the other side. The magical boundary is kept strong by the human monarchy. After the slaughter o
Petra
Second read: March 2016. Still one of the best books I've ever read. <3

First read: March 2015
When I started reading this I was hoping for a good book, maybe even a great one. But what I did not expect to find was that it was freaking awesome! I loved everything about it. The plot was intriguing and magical, the characters were real and loveable, and the writing was spellbinding. Becky Wallace is the true Storyspinner, and I'm already dying to read the the sequel. And to all of you who hasn't
Farrah
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely amazing YA read, filled with magic, thrills, secrets, and sweet romance, The Storyspinner was a brilliant read. I LOVED this book! It was a beautifully written, fantastic YA tale of epic proportions and I loved every bit of it.

The way the story was told was interesting. It was different, but it really worked for the book. Two separate story lines are told concurrently, until they converge near the end of the book. On one side was Johanna and Rafael and their lives in the human worl
Michelle
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I was going to like or dislike this before I started because I haven't really heard about it from any reviewers or my Goodreads friends. It has been sitting on my shelf for a while now but I have been eyeing it lately so I thought I would give it a try. I am very happy to say it was a very good decision to read this book.

Synopsis: Johanna Von Arlo's father dies and her entire family of Performers, exactly what it sounds like, are kicked out of their group and end up on their ow
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Laeo you sly dog, I knew you had it in you.
Jacare you have.....quite the interesting pallet.
Johanna you kick ALL there asses.
Pira you take that stick outta your tall behind and grab that 'lion' by his mane (or lack thereof). hehehe
Rafi your middle name is Santiago and for that I have the utmost respect for you.
Dom you can eat whatever you'd like at my house.
Belem you can bet I'll haunt your drunken butt, you can call me Spooky.
Maribelle you should go. You should go.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
I freaking loved this what a great high fantasy! Becky has written an amazing story in multiple POV's which sometimes is a tough sell. But I loved Every POV and it just made the world she built that much bigger! I adore Rafi and Dom!!! I really hope there's a map in the finished copy!
Reading Teen
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seriously loved this book!! I've had a hard time getting into any books lately (except rereads) so I was SO happy this one was so awesome!!
Nasty Lady MJ
To see review with gifs click here.

This book has made me realize that I’m going to take a sabbatical from high fantasies for awhile. It’s not that I don’t like fantasies, it’s that I truly believe the market is becoming overly saturated with them and I really just need a breather.

The Storyspinner wasn’t a terrible book, but it was just so cliche. And it didn’t help that it had five million points of view. So, yeah, I DNF’d it. And here are my top ten reasons why I DNF’d it and I guess why I’m ta
Eunice
I was so ready to sacrifice the few remaining hours of my sleep for this book when I turn the next page and I got - Acknowledgements. (I thought there would be at least two more chapters before that.) Man, I need more!!!

This is a very promising introduction for a sure to-be amazing YA fantasy series! Can't wait for the next book!! ;)

I highly recommend this!
Britt
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank goodness! Becky took my high expectations and I simply shattered them! Loved it! Full review here @ Winterhaven Books
Pili
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh boy, how much did I enjoy this one!! A lovely debut with multiple POV done right, a wonderful storytelling style and fantastic world building! I'm beyond happy to have the sequel at hand because I need to know what happens next!!

The story of The Storyspinner is one that might seem familiar, with a secret that I could see coming from the very beginning, but its strenght was not in doing something completely new, but in getting the very well known and rehearsed and giving it new life!

The setti
Laurie Treacy
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
When I open up a fantasy novel I read for a bunch of reasons: to escape, to discover and learn, to get lost, and to fall in love. I find when I'm done that my experience has fulfilled one or two of the reasons of my list, sometimes none, but when a book has me go through everything, I call that one a "keeper." Let me tell you, The Storyspinner by Becky Wallace is definitely a keeper!

Let me explain further. The Storyspinner features an amazing colorful cast of interesting characters, the story li
Heather
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
enjoyed this one! I loved the Spanish flavor of the setting and the people which reminded me of Rae Carson's Fire & Thorns series. The worldbuilding is strong, though there are some parts that need to be explained a bit better-- but the writing is smart and lush-- loved the descriptions of the tropical plants & trees (mangos everywhere!) and I loved the concept of Joanna and her family who are part circus performers part minstrels-- spinning stories like ancient peoples carrying on histo ...more
Shay
This book was just so so good. Going into it I'd heard a lot of good things about it, even though like first time I saw it? I was unimpressed. Sure the cover is pretty but it just didn't scream at me to read it, you know? But I was wrong. Luckily, I saw that Petra loved it and I tend to trust her opinions on fantasy and... She's was so right.

This book follows Johanna, who is a performer in this magical world. All Johanna really wants to do is be a performer, born into a family of them and living
Kristen Kooistra
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF 49%

I'm not sure what to say about this. It's not a bad book. There's nothing glaringly wrong. It didn't make me frustrated or angry, or really anything. The writing is fine, the characters are okay.

The story is just so BORING. With six pov's that barely give you time with one character before switching, it was impossible for me to connect with any of them. The plot is slow, and I'm still not sure what it is.

There's a girl who was a performer and now she's just living a normal life with her
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
  • Valiant
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Taming the Forest King
  • Court of Fives (Court of Fives, #1)
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
  • Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
  • Inherit the Stars (Inherit the Stars #1)
  • In the Time of Dragon Moon (Wilde Island Chronicles, #3)
  • Nobody's Goddess (Never Veil #1)
  • Threats of Sky and Sea (Threats of Sky and Sea, #1)
  • Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1)
  • The Immortal Heights (The Elemental Trilogy, #3)
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • Tangled Webs (Tangled Webs, #1)
  • Lock & Mori (Lock & Mori, #1)
  • Lark Rising (Guardians of Tarnec, #1)
  • When I Wake
In second grade, Becky Wallace had to sit in the corner because she refused to write anything besides princess stories and fairy tales (and because she talked too much). Her time in isolation gave her plenty of opportunities to dream up the fantasy worlds she's been dabbling with ever since. She was lucky enough to find her own, real-life prince charming. They have four munchkins and live in a hap ...more
More about Becky Wallace

The Keepers' Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Skylighter (The Keepers' Chronicles, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99