Start by marking “Popcorn” as Want to Read:
Popcorn

Popcorn

(Baby Bear)

Sam’s Halloween party is popping—with a massive amount of popcorn! Find out how he and his friends handle the delicious surplus in this reissue of a classic picture book from celebrated and award-winning author and illustrator Frank Asch.

On Halloween night, Sam invites all of his friends to his house for a costume party. As his guests arrive, each one brings the same treat
Published March 10th 2015 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Popcorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Popcorn

Start your review of Popcorn
Theresa
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The storyline is cute and funny, but I just can't get past that Sam's Halloween costume is the most simplistic caricature of a Native American's "traditional outfit" - tribal headband with feather and a loincloth. The book was published in 1979, so I get why, but I can't in good conscience recommend it for sharing with your kids in 2016.
Sara Grochowski
This was one of my favorites growing up! Reading it now, years and years later, I found myself seeking out the same things that I loved when I was a kid. The popcorn spilling from the chimney, the characters faces upon eating so much popcorn, and the moment when the parents reveal their surprise for Sam. Still wonderful all these years later!
Camille Sylvester
I loved this book as a kid, and now my kids have started bringing it to me every day to read again to them. It's such a cute, fun Halloween story.
Claire
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story behind why I adore this book. So the doctors office I went to as a child had this book in the waiting room and EVERY time I went to the doctor's office, I HAD to read this. I even read it as I got too old to read these sorts of books. Then one visit, it was gone! And I was devastated! Years went by and one day my mom found it at a garage sale and bought it for me. SO EXCITED! Great story!
Alex Konieczny
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the ultimate hangover parable.
"I would eat popcorn like in this book." -Ryan
Rebecca Baker
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Sam Bear had no idea what would "pop-up" when he invited his pals over for a costume party on Halloween night. Mama and Papa Bear have left him alone to attend their own party and he has the whole house to himself, what could go wrong? A simple request of his pals to “bring a treat” turns into a hilarious coincidence and comedy of errors. Will Sam’s Halloween be ruined? Will his parents come home to a frightful mess? Author of over eighty children’s books, Frank Asch crafts a charming Hallows ...more
Ms. B
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My go to Halloween story. With similar endings, it reminds me of Strega Nona. Even though, I am giving this 5 stars for nostalgic reasons; it is dated. Some of the costumes reinforce incorrect stereotypes (i.e. Sam's costume of an Indian on the front cover).
H
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
It's a great story, but in 2017 we now recognize that many of the costumes are racist.
Melissa
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kayden said this was "cheeky".
Polly
This is one of three books that I identify very strongly with doctor's waiting rooms. I swear every doctor I saw before the age of six had this, The Snow Lion, and the book about the ant in the duck's kitchen, the name of which I can't remember at the moment, although I think it's by Robert Quackenbush.
Wendy
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Iris
Shelves: picturebooks
We read this over and over again when we were kids. I love the charming illustrations, and the story was the height of humor to 3-6 year olds.
Karen
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was one of my favorite books as a child. i have such fond memories of reading this with my mother and brother. it is also probably to blame for my current obsession with popcorn.
Brad Klocksiem
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good; kind of hungry now.
Zazu
Mar 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This old "classic" story is slated to be reissued as a board book by Simon & Schuster on July 25th, 2017. I can't say I'm surprised they'd do something so monumentally stupid, especially after the whole awful Yiannopoulos debacle.

The book, as you can see by the cover, depicts a bear dressing up in a costume... which is actually just a stereotyped representation of Native Americans. I thought everyone knew this by now, but I guess S&S needs to hear it again: Native Americans are NOT
Faith Wareham
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm honestly not too sure what the message in this story is supposed to be, but it is cute. It might have something to do with not biting off more than you can chew, considering the bears in the story decided to pop multiple bags of popcorn without realizing that it would fill up their entire house. The characters are very cute and it is a quick read, but I've always liked it and loved to read it again and again as a kid.
Angie Fehl
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, interesting twist that the PARENTS go out for Halloween and leave little baby bear to his own devices, expecting him to behave. Of all nights to ditch the kids lol... what do you THINK happened? :-P Yep, little bear immediately gets to organizing a raver at his house. Great party, only problem is EVERY. SINGLE. GUEST. brought popcorn. What is one to do but to try to eat it all before the parentals get back!
Amar Pai
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Asha brought this home from school. When we were reading it and we got to the first page that's "all popcorn," nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks. I totally remember this from when I was a kid! Props to the memorable visuals. They evoked something still. The story is not mind blowing but the book is funny and the illustrations hold up.
Malia
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
I came across this book while on a project looking for books with offensive content, and then it made me sad because I immediately remembered reading and loving it when I was a kid. The story is still SO GREAT and funny, so 5 stars for that and 1 star for the costume.
Dedra ~ A Book Wanderer
I read this delightful children's book to mark off a prompt in my Popsugar Reading Challenge: A book containing Pop, Sugar, or Challenge in the title. I wish I would have had this cute and imaginative book when my children were little.

#popsugarreadingchallenge2019 (prompt #10)
Sheila
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kids will like what happens when mom and dad go out and the kids have a party. Everyone brings popcorn to it. Parents will know what happens but the kids will delight in it. I have a craving for popcorn!
Rebekah
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall, want-to-buy
I thought this was really cute. Really like the art too.
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I checked this out from the school library when I was in first grade. I couldn't read the whole thing because some douchebag ripped out the first page. Meh, this still brings back the feels. :)
JENNIFER
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This was my most FAVORITE book growing up! I've read it so many times...
Jamie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little bear's parents attend a Halloween party and leave little bear alone. He then decides to have a party of his own and pops way more popcorn then he ever intended. Storytime 01/25/18
Kelly
Cute story of a bear who has a Halloween party and everyone brings popcorn.
Suzette
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites as a child that I just read to my son for the first time.
Rebecca
It cracks me up how many Goodreads users cite their childhood doctor's waiting rooms as the place where they always read this book. That's exactly where I read it! :D
Casey Richard
This book is about young Sam defying his parents and having to pay the price. As his parents leave for the night, Sam throws a Halloween party and invites all of his friends over. Each friend brings popcorn, so they get the bright idea to pop all of it, at once, using mama bears big kettle. Because of all of the popcorn, it starts to overflow into the kitchen, then the living room, and then filling the entire house. Sam, nervous, tells all his friends to start eating in order to get rid of the ...more
RC
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Popcorn features Frank Asch's famous bear character in a Halloween adventure. When his parents go to a party, Baby Bear decides to have some friends over himself. But too much of a good thing turns out to be WAAY too much!

This picture book is great for preschoolers and early elementary students, although adults may want to discuss the importance of having adults' permission (and adults present) when having friends over. Making popcorn-- either in the microwave or on a stovetop, as they do in
Amanda
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cute, colorful pictures add to this wonderful story that warns about too much of a good thing. It also is funny picturing how the events take place and how the bears fix the problem. This is a wonderfully cute, short book sure to please the young and young at heart!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • A House for Hermit Crab
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Frankenstein
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • Leaf Man
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
  • There's a Wocket in My Pocket!
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • Curious George and the Firefighters (Curious George New Adventures)
  • Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn
  • Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60

Baby Bear (5 books)