Start by marking “All You Need Is Kill” as Want to Read:
All You Need Is Kill

All You Need Is Kill

(All You Need Is Kill Manga #1-2)

When the alien Mimics invade, Keiji Kiriya is just one of many recruits shoved into a suit of battle armor called a Jacket and sent out to kill. Keiji dies on the battlefield, only to be reborn each morning to fight and die again and again. On his fifth iteration, he gets a message from a mysterious ally—the female soldier known as the Full Metal Bitch. Is she the key to ...more
Published November 4th 2014 by VIZ Media LLC

Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1 by Naoki UrasawaBerserk, Vol. 1 by Kentaro Miura20th Century Boys, Band 01 by Naoki UrasawaVagabond, Vol. 1 by Takehiko InouePLUTO by Naoki Urasawa
Great Seinen Manga
167 books — 264 voters
The Voices of a Distant Star by Makoto ShinkaiGoth by OtsuichiWanted by Matsuri HinoYume Kira Dream Shoppe by Aqua MizutoThe One I Love by CLAMP
Manga Oneshots
285 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of All You Need Is Kill
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
i really loved this! i only had issue with the rush of the ending. everything came together way too quickly. also wish we could've explored the characters a bit more!
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, graphicomanga
This was fantastic! Takeshi Obata’s art is amazing (as usual) although sometimes I felt that Keiji looked like Light and L combined which threw me off a bit. It definitely didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the manga though, and having already seen Edge of Tomorrow I did have an idea what was happening, but this was still awesome! I may have to pick up the novel that this is based on sometime in the future.
Sanaa
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-collection
[4 Stars] I quite enjoyed this one! I wanted a little bit more substance when it comes to the character relationship in the second half of the manga, and I also wish the time loop was explained/built a little better. That being said, it was really enjoyable to read, fast paced, had great art, and I loved its epic feel. I just wish we got a little "more" from it. I'm excited to watch the movie now!
Gianfranco Mancini

Read as individual issues

"Groundhog Day" meets Starship Troopers in a thrilling action-packed fast-read manga filled with gore, well fleshed characters, romance and references to worldwide new media video games subculture.

And Rita Vrataski, the valkyrie "full-metal bitch", is an hell of an heroine, the ultimate bad-ass warrior girl.

I enjoyed a lot the hollywood movie with Tom Cruise, but the manga is a real masterpiece.

Sooner or later I really have to read the novel who inspired both of them.

Artemy
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I never saw the Tom Cruise movie, but the ridiculously titled All You Need Is Kill manga turned out to be a lot of fun. It's Groundhog's Day meets sci-fi war action book, and for what it is, it's really well executed. The story is simple and fast-paced, the action is stunningly drawn by the masterful Takeshi Obata (of Death Note fame), and overall it feels like a high quality Hollywood blockbuster waiting to spill onto the screens (which, again, it did, and I never saw it). There were a few ...more
Connor
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
What a wild ride. I read this so quickly, and I can totally understand how this story was turned into an action movie. I think it could have benefited from more development of characters' relationships especially toward the end, but the action was truly compelling. Now I want to watch the movie and see how it compares.
Rusty Grey

Hmm. This was quick . A bit too quick by the end . Obata's art makes this short manga real good . I haven't read the light novel but I've watched th movie adaptation of this manga called "Edge Of Tomorrow" . And it's one of few live action adaptations of manga that are good . I recommend that movie along with this manga too .
Doc
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having never read the light novel by the same name or having seen the movie Edge of Tomorrow I walked into this book with no expectations but after reading I have found I really enjoyed this book. Before picking this book up for yourself (or considering getting it for a child) I have to warn you it is rated Older Teen and has realistic depictions of violence, strong language, and has partial nudity so if either bothers you then you might want to reconsider.

Drawn by Takeshi Obata of Death Note
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
--5/5 stars--

I absolutely loved it. True, I only came to this manga after watching Tom Cruise in The Edge of Tomorrow, but All You Need Is Kill certainly brought that Japanese spin to the story--which, I admit, is something I really like (does anyone else know what I'm talking about?), and I enjoyed this short (yes, short!) story a whole lot more.

I won't pretend to try to explain any philosophy behind it (if there even is any), but I will agree that the story is a lot more "deep" than what
DeAnna Knippling
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The tale of a time loop. And aliens.

An excellent telling. I was expecting something more complicated, but this was short and sweet. Expect an abrupt but philosophical ending.

Recommended for sci fi fans.
Mir
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the book the film "Edge of Tomorrow" was based on, but the time-looping works in a more complicated way. The plot therefore plays out differently as well.
Elizabeth (Elzburg)
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, manga, favorites
Banner

Series Review:
That was an experience. Why have I heard LITERALLY NO ONE EVER talk about this manga? It was perfect. I can't think of a single thing that could have possibly made All You Need is Kill any better. I'm not even joking. The art, the pacing and development of the story, the slow but definite retrograde in the main characters' psyche, the way the relationship between the two leads was developed in the most succulent way possible. A masterpiece.

This really doesn't feel like a young
Karissa
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

I got this book for my birthday last year and was excited to finally get around to reading it. This ended up being a very well done science fiction manga that I enjoyed a lot.

Watching Keiji puzzle out what was happening with time loops and learn how to turn this to his advantage was interesting. It reminded me of the movie Groundhog Day, but more violent and science fiction themed.

I really enjoyed Keiji as a character; he changes and grows so much as the novel progresses. I also enjoyed the
Shayma'a
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, manga, borrowed
Wow!
Victoria (victoriashaz)
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
4.5/5 stars (maybe one day goodreads will get half ratings)
This was SO enjoyable. All You Need is Kill is a manga about a fresh soldier named Keiji Kiriya who is about to go into his first fight against the Mimics, an alien species dead set on destroying the entire human race.
Keiji kills one of the Mimics, and then unfortunately dies, and then wakes up again the day before his battle.
Somehow Keiji became stuck in an everlasting loop that always starts the day before his battle.
I loved the way
Baal Of
Other reviewers have noted this book is Groundhog Day during a battle against invading aliens. The artwork is very nice, although it does contain a few panels that exhibit the annoying close-up action shot that makes it difficult to tell what is actually going on, but seems to be so popular in manga. The story is fairly basic, with the main character realizing he is reliving the same chunk of time repeatedly, but that he can alter the outcome each time. There is the standard manga trope of the ...more
Fatima Alqassab
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
"There is what we desire to do, and what we are able to do. When those two things don’t coincide, which path should we pursue to find happiness?"
Rakan Alsaad
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the best short manga I've read. Haven't really enjoyed and felt so attached to characters in a short manga like I did with this. It's too bad there's no anime adaptation of All You Need Is Kill.
Petr
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
EN/CZ

All you need is a symphony. At least I guess that is the only medium that was not made for All you need is kill (Edge of tomorrow in movie form).
I saw the movie based on the book, I read the book based basically on videogame mechanics and I read the manga based on the book as last. All of them shine on their own right and I liked all three of them.
I had a slight problem with the manga's ending, as it seemed to me a little rushed and thus I did not enjoy it that much. However, I loved the
Makrand
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
All you need is Kill comes with a very different & quite unique concept.
The protagonist Keiji Kiriya, a soldier is just a day away from the D-day: To fight the 'mimics'.
Interestingly, he gets killed during the fight, only to be brought back to life on the day before the war, every time he dies!!

Characters are distinct and ends on a Cliffhanger. Definitely reading the next part!
Hollywood's Tom Cruise flick Edge of Tomorrow was adapted from this very manga after a span of 10 years !

Jenna
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize that they turned this into a movie when I got it from the library. I actually enjoyed the movie version, but, after reading this I did like this one better. I thought the characters were done well and I connected with them and wanted to see how their stories would end. I did not expect the ending either but I really liked how it all wrapped up.
Devin (Mostly Manga)
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I've read the original novel All You Need Is Kill over a year ago, so I don't remember all of the finer details that did or didn't make it into the manga. I will say though, all of the important stuff is there and this is practically a perfect adaptation. Personally, I enjoyed it more than the novel (you should still give the original novel by Hiroshi Sakurazaka a shot, though!). The story and characters were still there. I enjoyed them just as much - probably even more - than the first time ...more
sai اناستازيا
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
take a long time reading & enjoying each page !
story :
it's kind of a known story about the humanity fighting against aliens , but the aliens here are Mimics and the humanity are a good training army .
but what make it special is the way things going , and the END was satisfied as much as I expect it to be , even though you can't tell what the next action is .
art :
every page is an amazing piece of art , it took me a few minutes to turn the page , the ability of drawing war scenes and the
Bernardo Salas
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Saw the Edge of Tomorrow and though that it was a passable movie. When I saw the description of All You Need is Kill, I though it merited a look despite the weird title. I did not have high expectations but I was very pleasantly surprised. This is so much better than the movie!

The adaptation is short, but each chapter manages to cram a fair amount of content. The characters are so much better than the movie and their humanity shines though in their interactions with the side characters.

Being
Selena
I was really surprised. This was actually really good. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I actually liked it.

It's like "Groundhog Day," but not funny. The guy has to relive the same two days over and over again, with it looping at his death. He wants to break out of the time loop, and to do that, he needs to kill the Mimics, alien monsters from outer space.

That's about all I can say without hitting spoiler territory, so let's leave it at that.

I know there's an American movie that's based off of
Gary Anderson
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This self-contained epic manga masterpiece contains an interesting stuck-in-a-time-loop storyline, two appealing lead characters, and excellent artwork with battle scenes that the pages can hardly contain. If comics are your thing, you will probably enjoy All You Need Is Kill.
Lateef Amodu
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I watched a film called the Edge of Tomorrow, that subsequently led me to finding out about the light novel it was based on, by author, Hiroshi Sakurazaka. This is how I found out about the Manga adaption of the light novel.

The story is about a young man named Keiji Kiriya, who is enlisted in the Japanese army to fight extra-terrestrial entities called Mimics. These Mimics have landed on Earth, from an unknown planet unknown planet, and are set to wipe out the human race and pollute the Earth to
ChattyNatty
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This book was written really well, it built up tension and mystery and then when there seemed like hope, it shattered your dreams. I am going to read the actual book of this but from first impressions I feel like the manga adaptation was handled well. Although I do have to point out the fact that keiji looks like another certain person from bakuman *coughs... saiko* I love the way that the relationship between Rita and Keiji developed after the 158th loop. On regards to the movie however... I'm ...more
Joseph Inzirillo
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The movie Edge of Tomorrow was really good. The novel was better. This Manga was amazing. The story comes to life as it was originally intended and in a way that is uniquely Manga. It's a long read but it's a quick read. It is also an intense read. Now that I've been through all three versions I will say that in order it goes:
Novel
Manga
Movie
Watch the movie, read the Manga and then truly appreciate the novel.
Issei Miyata
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I read “All you need is kill”. This manga is a kind of battle and time loop. This is interesting. Especially, the art is very good. And the story is short so you can read easily. But I think there are many explain words so I think you maybe feel tired.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Vagabond, Vol. 1
  • All You Need Is Kill
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition 3
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition 2
  • Berserk Deluxe Volume 2
  • Vinland Saga, Volume 1: For Honor and Vengeance
  • Solanin (Solanin, #1-2)
  • Planetes Omnibus, Volume 1 (Planetes, #1-2)
  • Planetes Omnibus, Volume 2 (Planetes, #3-4)
  • Blame! Tom 1 (Blame, #1)
  • Berserk Deluxe Volume 1
  • I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 1
  • The Gods Lie
  • Vinland Saga, Volume 2: England at War
  • A Girl on the Shore
  • 王様ゲーム 1 (Ousama Game, #1)
  • フェアリーテイル ゼロ [Fearī Teiru Zero] [Fairy Tail Zero]
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition 4

All You Need Is Kill Manga (2 books)
  • All You Need Is Kill 1