Start by marking “Firebreak (Josie Gray Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Firebreak (Josie Gray Mysteries, #4)

Firebreak

(Josie Gray Mysteries #4)

Texas is experiencing its worst season of wildfires in a decade, forcing police chief Josie Gray to evacuate the citizens of Artemis. Not everyone makes it out alive, however. In the fire’s wake, she discovers the body of someone who never left town, lying dead in the house of a local country music singer. Beside the body lies a syringe carrying traces of heroin. It seems ...more
Published March 3rd 2015 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Firebreak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firebreak

Thomas
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. I received it free from Minotaur Books, the publisher, through the Goodreads giveaway program. This book takes place in the West Texas desert town of Artemis. There is a dangerous wildfire threatening the the. It is eventually contained with only a few home burnt up. One house that was almost completely destroyed has a body in it. Police Chief Josie Gray investigates and realizes that this house fire was not part of the wildfire burn area.

How she pieces together the
Roger
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read of a West Texas near Big Bend area lady sheriff. I would recommend this one as well as previous three.
Amy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Bought this book for $1. Worth it, I guess. Lol.
bert-bobbi
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
An easy read that veered away from being about a natural fire and turned into a murder mystery.
Anne Martin
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
what a weird book... I was quite interested in the murder-mystery part, as well as in the wild fire problems. Why did the author have to pull such strings to solve the crime? The way the investigation is led does not make sense. The cops seem to believe everything they are told, including what possible suspects tell them. They accept very special positions from the people they interrogate, without blinking. The final solution, after a couple of unbelievable turns and twists was very unsatisfacto ...more
Kevintipple
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Weather in Texas often is one of two extremes--- flood or fire. It has been a couple years since the floods came to Southwest Texas. Now it has been 9 months since rain fell in the desert area and now wildfire is the threat to Artemis and the surrounding area. The threat comes from the north and south with Artemis trapped in the middle. Evacuations are ordered for parts of Arroyo County, but not everyone will agree to leave. This area of southwest Texas where folks are used to hard times, desert ...more
Amy Broome
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book as a giveaway. It felt ... like it was good - not amazing blow your socks off great - but good.

To be honest, this is the fourth in the series, and I haven't read any others. For the most part, it didn't seem to matter. References to the past were there, but not really story building elements.

Now what made this not cross the threshold from good to great for me was the formulaic presentation. Our heroine, Josie, lives on the grounds of a much older gentleman. He cooks for he
Charissa Wilkinson
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads Program for a fair review.

Overview: When fire threatens the town of Artemis, Texas, the last thing that anyone suspects to find is a suspicious death. But that is exactly what the police chief and her deputy find at the home of the up and coming country star, Billie Nix. By the way, where is Billie? And who was in his house?

Likes: The relationship elements didn’t overpower the mystery elements in this book. Ms. Fields did a great job here
Gay
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Artemis, Texas Police Chief Josie Gray is working with others to evacuate the area because of an out-of-control fire. She goes to the house of a local country music singer to tell the family to leave. She finds the body of an unknown person that is partially burned. But the fire there was arson,
Luckily the owners of the house were far away. As Josie investigates, she can now identify the body, then looks into the victim’s past. She finds several people who are happy the victim is dead. But whic
Caroline
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The action is fast and furious as Chief Josie Gray's small west Texas town is threatened by wildfires. Great descriptions of the challenges facing volunteer fire fighters as they juggle jobs, families and firefighting. Close cooperation of the community's first responders and how the back stories of previous mysteries and events interconnect with today's events and foreshadow future problems. If you like strong female leads dealing with topical current events then the Josie Gray Mystery series b ...more
Lisa Havards
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't wait till the new book came out. Love this series! The story revolves around a hard core country singer and his manager wife who are struggling to figure out their identity - and destroying their marriage in the process. Then a massive Texas wildfire rips through the area and throws the whole town into turmoil. Fast paced action, but lots of psychological drama to keep you interested. Josie Gray is one of the best female cops around. They need a Longmire series for Josie!
Amy Thorleifson
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Set in West Texas, sheriff Josie Gray works is faced with a body found in a burned out home after wildfires devastate the area. But is the cause of death the wildfire or is it murder? While Josie investigates the suspicious death, she is also facing the departure of her lover. Good use of locale and also some insights into the country music business.
Part of a series, I will look for the next book with interest.
Yasmina Walker
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Firebreak", takes place in Artemis, Texas a small town in west Texas. A body is discovered in a country and western singer's house after a wildfire strikes the town. It is up to Josie, the sheriff, to solve the murder. Josie is a tough gal and the plot is full of twists and turns. I had no idea who the murderer was until the end. Tricia Fields does a great job detailing the beauty of west Texas. After reading this I have a hankering to go and visit Marfa and Presidio.
Xondra Day
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
*ARC via Goodreads First Reads*

Not bad. Some of the fire fighting stuff was lost on me. I didn't find it that interesting, and I admit to skimming a little. But it was a good mystery that for readers of the genre might be a worthwhile read to pick up.

Thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for providing the ARC.
Brenda
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
This was a new author for me. I enjoyed this story because the story kept moving forward and the characters seemed to be "real" people. Only right before the author revealed it, did I figure out who had killed Ferris. The hints as to what had happened to Josie in the past stories is causing me to read the other "Josie Gray" stories this author as written.
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: advance-read, texas
Josie Gray is the police chief of a small West Texas town on the Mexican border. Following a wildfire, while doing safety checks of outlying areas follow the fire, she discovers a murder victim in a house owned by a rising country music performer. The plot and suspects keep the reader guessing in this excellent read that was hard to put down. This was a free advance read copy.
Patricia Kirby
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay, second time to review....I won this book. Even though it was #4 in the series, I didn't have any trouble following it. The characters were very interesting and the mystery was exciting. I plan on purchasing the first book in the series.
Michael Polizzi
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Looking for something to read at my local library, I picked this one up ... latest in a mystery series that I had never read. Enjoyed the story and characters enough to read some of the earlier books.
Andrea
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story. The writing is a bit more special and remarkable compared to some of the other fluff mysteries I have read this year. I liked the characters and was satisfied with the ending. An entertaining read that I recommend.
Suzanne
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this books in a Goodreads Giveaway. A very good murder mystery which takes place during a massive wildfire in Texas.
Tricia Fields is the author of an award-winning West Texas mystery series. I will be looking for more from this author.
Sara
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Loved the setting, loved the characters. I want to go back and make sure I read all of them in the series.
Sheila
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE author Tricia Fields' novels, and Firebreak was no exception. Start the series at the beginning-the characters and their story arcs are worth following from book one.
Bill
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good mystery set in west Texas I plan to read more in this series
Shirley
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and the characters!! It was hard to put down but I had to sleep
Cyvil B.
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
it was ok, but I'm into more action.
Phyllis
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read all the books in the Josie Gray series and like the way the town seems so real. Some of the characters have become like old friends. Really looking forward to the next one.
Jeffrey
Another passable one by her. Really more of a 3.5 stars.
Cindy
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yeah I find a good mystery series. Love it
Mary J.
My first time reading Tricia Fields and I enjoyed her descriptions of environment and shaping of characters. Will definitely read more of her books.
Judy at NewEnglandGardenAndThread
This was my first book from Tricia Fields. I enjoyed the mystery and the cast of characters. I'll be heading out to get a couple of others.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Death in the Family (Detective Kubu #5)
  • Final Payment (Posadas County Mystery, #5)
  • Dark Reservations
  • Under Fire
  • Lone Star Justice: The First Century of the Texas Rangers
  • Fleeting Memory
  • Saints Alive! New Stories of Old Saints: Saints of Empire
  • The Outsiders
  • Triton: Rise of Empire (Triton #1)
  • Preparing Fish & Wild Game: Exceptional Recipes for the Finest of Wild Game Feasts
  • Learn or Review Trigonometry: Essential Skills
  • Casual Lies-A Triple Crown Adventure
  • The Incredible Origins of the Onyx Sun
  • The Devil's Cold Dish (Will Rees, #5)
  • The Gemini Divergence
  • American Environmental History: Part One

Josie Gray Mysteries (5 books)
  • The Territory (Josie Gray Mysteries #1)
  • Scratchgravel Road (Josie Gray Mysteries, #2)
  • Wrecked (Josie Gray Mysteries, #3)
  • Midnight Crossing (Josie Gray Mysteries, #5)