Start by marking “Avian (Dragonrider Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Avian (Dragonrider Chronicles, #2)

Avian

(Dragonrider Chronicles #2)

Jaevid wants to pass his Avian year of training . . . but will he even survive it?

What kind of power is lurking inside him? After a year of training to become a dragonrider, Jaevid Broadfeather has been sent home to rest during a three-month interlude. But when he returns to find the king drake has chosen Beckah Derrick as his new rider, Jaevid realizes something big is ab
Published August 26th 2014 by Month9Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Avian, please sign up.
Birgit Only just got the book, so your questions only popped up now. May be a bit late to answer, but: I am in Germany, too, and if I can't find anything on …moreOnly just got the book, so your questions only popped up now. May be a bit late to answer, but: I am in Germany, too, and if I can't find anything on amazon.de, they get a polite query from me, and usually they obtain it within a day or two.(less)

Start your review of Avian (Dragonrider Chronicles, #2)
Cassandra
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 Unicorns - I loved it!!!
***Received the book as part of the book tour for an honest review

The cover is okay, but I don’t know that it would attract me to pick it up if I spied it in a bookstore. It would be a mistake to not pick it up, but I would have preferred a dragon on the cover again :)

Of course I loved this book, my favorite characters were off adventuring again :) I didn’t read the blurb before I started reading, so I had lots of surprises while I was reading. I
One Man Book Club
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Now here's a series your fantasy loving middle graders will love!

The Dragonrider books by Nicole Conway are marketed as two separate series.

The first four books are The Dragonrider Chronicles. They introduce the main characters and deliver the first story arc. The Dragonrider Legacy includes the final three books. This series continues the story of the main characters after a 40 year time jump, introduces new characters,
Darlene Hardy
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a cool book.
Phoebe Prince
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Avian begins where Fledgling left off—literally with Jaevid in the same scene still reluctantly riding home for the three month interlude. Jaevid returns to find Katty with another boy (another blacksmith!) named Bren and his childhood home abandoned. Katty lives up to her name early on, and it’s clear she has complicated feelings for Jaevid, who has no desire to relate or reconnect with his childhood friend.

Jaevid learns wood-working, finds a mysterious sword, and a note from his brother, who’s
Jasmyn
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Avian is just about a perfect sequel to Fledgling. It's a DragonRiders of Pern for aimed at Young Adults. Jaevid is center stage again as he is set to start his second year of training - his Avian year. This year starts with some pretty amazing changes for him. He discovers some Gray Elf heritage the hard and painful way as his body finally develops. He also discovers some hidden gifts that are pretty scary to be honest. His gifts manifest in different ways and grow throughout the story. They pl ...more
Gail
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I will admit that I like dragon stories. I wish I was a flyer. If you enjoyed Eragon and the continuation of the story, then you would enjoy this book. The first one was good, but this one was a little better. We see him become more aware of his powers and what he can do with them. I like his side-kick- a duke now- and how he protects him and heals him too. I also liked how this character accepted Lyon and forgave him for his previous behavior- I thought that showed how he was a better pers ...more
Ryan
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
my wife got this book from the publisher and since I loved the 1st book I decided to read it. To compare Fledgling to Avian is like comparing the Sorcerers Stone to the Deathly Hallows. Fledgling Jae is innocent and naive. In Avian we got a young man on the edge of manhood. I couldn't be more happier about this book. I was super excited page after page. It makes you laugh and makes you cry. overall 5 stars doesn't do this book justice.
Thomas Maher
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, Waiting for Book 3

The story was so entrancing I could not put it down. I really hope there is a book 3. I was saying no this can not be the end I need more but now I have to wait. Why are the dragons not there to protect their riders? I hope book 3 fixes that as true Dragon riders are those that can be one with their dragon.
Billie Bogart
Fun read, but do not recommend for girls

This is a very traditional, boy oriented, quick, simple read. I would not recommend it for girls as it’s depiction of women is terrible, definitely from the old school.
Heather
Jul 22, 2020 rated it liked it

Avian starts where Fledgling finished and while it was a fun, exciting read I don't think it was quite as good as Fledgling . In the first book, Jae was a young, innocent boy but now he is on the cusp of manhood and many changed have occurred, some I liked, others I didn't. However, I did like his personal growth as Jae struggled with his new gifts and finding out who he really is. Thankfully, he still had Mavrik, whom I adore, especially the way he purrs and chirps like a house cat whe
Jackie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites, ya-fantasy
This is the second novel in the series about Jaevid, the half Gray Elf, half human that gets to train to be a Dragonrider. Jaevid begins his second and most hardest year at Blybrig Academy. Katty shows her true colors and Beckah and Jae's feelings for each begin to grow. Beckah also has been chosen by The King Drake, and things are happening to Jae that he can't understand. He is showing more unbelievable powers that he might not being able to control. On top of all, animals are going crazy.
I th
Steven Brown
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read that is fast-paced and without fluff.

A solid second book to the series that makes the first book feel almost like a prologue. The story itself grabs you quickly in the pacing keeps the story and stressing with each chapter packed full. Where the first book felt like it was aimed towards a younger crowd this one does feel more like a young adult novel.

Outside of one instance In which I feel there was a point of view era nothing really took me out of the story.

Again the book that'
Alysha DeShaé
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I'm a little conflicted on how I feel about his sudden growth and there are still a few editing issues, but damn. It's still incredible and I still love it! Also, his powers are pretty cool, but I like that he's got some blowback when using them. After all, it would be just a touch too convenient if he was suddenly able to do everything he wanted without any real consequences whatsoever. And I'm not talking about the social stigma consequences, I'm talking about actual physical consequences of h ...more
Amber
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, young-adult
This book was much like the first, it held me captivated from the beginning, I feel like there was never a dull moment. There are a handful of moments that are truly terrifying, and others that are absolutely heart breaking to me, however I still greatly enjoyed this book, and I can hardly wait to read the next one.
Michele Rodriquez
I am so captivated!!!!!

I love a good book. So far I cant put it down. Everyone will love this adventure. I dont know where to begin, you just need to start and before long you wish it would never end. Trust me, its 3:30 am. 😁
Deb
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Adolescent Tale

I like the story’s quick progression. The book accurately captures the adolescent angst. Interesting male character show complexity often missed in male characters.
Charlene Rowe
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

The excellent saga continues in this second book. It has the hero continuing to search for answers about himself and the dreams that plague him as he discovers and homes his powers.
Sylina
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Yet another amazing book from Nicole Conway! She makes you fall in love with the characters and her descriptive capabilities never fail to impress. Really looking forward to the next book in the series!
Antonis
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing second book, really enjoyed it, finished it in a day :)
Adam
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
it is one of my favorite books.
Cooper Miller
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book i recommend the series.
Susan E. Clayton
Huh

Really good
It was really good it was really good
I like it a lot and thought it was really good
Ornella (Nyx)
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was surprisingly great.
Elad Levy
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

This story captured my attention immediately, from the very first word to the last sentence, I was hooked! Highly recommended.
Jennifer  Butler
Getting better

Have to keep reading the series now. I'm hooked! Still an easy read for middle school - just enough fighting and romance.
d🌻vyn
3.5 stars.
Michael Wines
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. I thought the first part of the first book was somewhat predictable, then the story and characters really took off. I'm on to the third book, now. It's such a great adventure!
Ashley Kough
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. I feel like it has been really well written and filled with drama and intrigue. Highly recommended for fantasy lovers!
michelle usher
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving this series

I can't put the book down. Great series to just curl up and get lost for awhile 😀. Looking forward to reading the next book.
Keith Long
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Great story, but too many grammar, word choice and spelling errors for my taste. It did have less than the first book. I'm looking forward to reading Traitor.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dragon Trials (Return of the Darkening, #1)
  • Mystery in the Tundra (Path of the Ranger, #3)
  • The Battlemage (Summoner, #3)
  • The King's Secret (Path of the Ranger, #2)
  • The Traitor's Son (Path of the Ranger, #1)
  • Dragon Legends  (Return of the Darkening, #2)
  • Dragon Bonds (Return of the Darkening, #3)
  • The Fire Within (Elemental Academy #1)
  • Treason in the North (Path of the Ranger, #4)
  • The Inquisition (Summoner, #2)
  • The Secret Refuge: (Path of the Ranger Book 5)
  • Path of the Specialist: (Path of the Ranger Book 6)
  • Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • The Blacksmith's Son (Mageborn, #1)
  • Forest Dragon (The Dragon Misfits #3)
  • The Apprentice to Zdrell (The Magic of Zdrell Book 1)
Nicole Conway is originally from North Alabama and attended Auburn University. She is happily married and enjoys writing as a full time career.

Best known for her international bestselling fantasy series, THE DRAGONRIDER CHRONICLES - Nicole is currently working on a follow-on series, THE DRAGONRIDER LEGACY. Her other published works include MAD MAGIC, THE DISTANCE BETWEEN STARS, SCALES (Releasing S

Dragonrider Chronicles (4 books)
  • Fledgling (Dragonrider Chronicles, #1)
  • Traitor (The Dragonrider Chronicles)
  • Immortal (The Dragonrider Chronicles)

News & Interviews

“If you’re constantly worrying about something a hundred miles away, you’re liable to get killed by something two feet in front of you.” 1 likes
“He was so cheerful all the time it seemed like he might have brain damage.” 1 likes