Start by marking “What a Woman Needs” as Want to Read:
What a Woman Needs

What a Woman Needs

From award-winning author Caroline Linden comes a dazzling tale of seduction, intrigue, and unexpected lessons in love…

Charlotte Griffolino knows a rake when she sees one—and the man her niece longs to marry most definitely qualifies. Stuart Drake is handsome, charming—and penniless. That he is interested in more than Susan’s considerable inheritance is highly unlikely.
Published February 24th 2015 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about What a Woman Needs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Woman Needs

Start your review of What a Woman Needs
Becca
May 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I will be honest, I love Caroline Linden's books. Her Scandalous series is one of my absolute favorites. When she announced that she was writing a story about the Duke of Ware, a secondary character in her first novel, What a Woman Needs, I took that as a sign that I had to read this sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, this wasn't my cup of tea and nothing like Linden's current writing style, but the Duke of Ware was delicious and I am more excited than ever to read his book.

In this story,
Jess
Aug 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, the Caroline Linden spell is broken. No romance writer is at their most admirable in their debut, but really... the improvement from this, and her next novel, What a Gentleman Wants, is impressive. Nevertheless, with low expectations, I read What a Woman Needs mainly because the Duke of Ware makes an appearance in it, and he's the much-anticipated hero of her next book. But I failed to see anything alluring in what is frankly a surface-level characterisation of a mediocre trope: the Aloof ...more
Maura
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I really enjoyed this story. The author is new to me and I will be seeking out more of her back list.
I found that the story kept me interested and I was invested emotionally. The hero was much more than the usual depiction for this genre. I liked the humor and the mystery. The heroine was a real ball buster on the outside but a hurt 17 year old on the inside.
I liked that the couple not being young. I liked how the hero helped the heroine discover the real truth about how her life had led her
Virginia
I enjoyed this romance! It's not the most dazzling cast of characters but it's well-written and well-done. I thought the plot was original and it was refreshing to read about a woman of experience (and actual experience, not just, "Oh, she's not a virgin") and her romance with the lead male.

On a side note, what's with the over-accomplished romance writers? Linden and Julia Quinn are both Harvard grads who got bored (Linden with programming and math; Quinn with medical school) and decided to
Aneca
Dec 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
I am definitely becoming spoiled but all the good books I've been reading lately and I find that my tolerance for silly plots is not as big as it once was?

In this book the hero is courting an innocent young girl who sees him as her ticket to a life in London. Because she is a rich heiress and he is penniless her guardian, Charlotte, assumes the hero must be a fortune hunter (which he is) and sets out to not only forbid the match but to totally ruin him. To prove he is not an honourable gentleman
Kimia Safavi
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!

What a Woman Needs is a great historical romance with adventures, secrets and a penniless hero, needing an heiress to marry.

Stuart Darke is good looking, charming and in the line for a viscount title and he is courting an heiress to end his penniless existence.
Charlotte Griffonline is a woman of experience and guardian of her niece (the heiress)and she does everything in her power to protect her niece from fortune hunters.

At the beginning of the book I didn't like the heroin, she was
Connie Fischer
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Drake is a rake of sorts but has now been reined in by his father for being in one scandal too many. His father has totally cut him off from his allowance and he is nearly penniless and even relying on his friends for a place to stay. As he has no other choice, he needs to marry a wealthy heiress soon.

Miss Susan Tratter is a young girl who is a great bride prospect. She is very pretty, has a generous dowry and is totally infatuated with him. But there is a a problem in the form of her
Foggygirl
A very entertaining steamy adventure/romance.
Stephanie

Consensual Sex, Love and Marriage in Historical Context: WHAT A WOMAN NEEDS

I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader’s copy of this book. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

It’s quite unusual that I dislike a book to the point where I cannot find something praiseworthy. But, this is one I found hard to finish, and strangely embarrassed when it was overheard..

The premise, that a woman would be exiled
Zena
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!
This is a cleverly plotted and well written historical romance with many twists and turns that I really did not expect.
The main characters, Charlotte who has strength and wit on her side and Stuart who just wants to make something of himself and who knows how to woo and romance a lady, make a good pair and I loved the way they teased and supported each other.
I also loved the niece, Susan. She is such silly, immature young lady, but quite sweet too.
Of course there is a villain who
Kat
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the last book I read by Caroline Linden, our hero Stuart started out as a real shit. Seriously, he was totally unlikable. Charlotte was a bit better, but it took a while to warm up to her. I was a bit bored until the middle of the story, where things picked up. The sensual scenes were very well done. Things really moved quickly near the end, and Stuart redeemed himself. There were some surprises I was not expecting at all. One thing drove me crazy, and that was Charlotte's niece Susan. The ...more
Constant Reader
The hero is likeable enough, but the heroine is one of these feisty, independent women who turns out just to be quick tempered, judgemental, prone to exhibitionist tantrums, lacking enough grace to apologise ...frankly annoying. As for the story....I'm happy to suspend my disbelief, but the back stories of the principal characters are so unbelievable and, by the time I'd waded through the histrionics and the superfluous sex scenes, uninteresting, that I can only wonder at how much Caroline ...more
Myrna
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! 4.5 stars. I am going to have to start reserving my five-star reviews for truly life-altering reads, but books that generate more than two emotional responses will always make me effusive in my ratings.

Excellent characters--even the annoying ones--and an excellent female protagonist who acts and reacts very believably make this a great read. I also like how Linden dealt with a woman with a "past."

On the downside, there might have been too much wavering and hand-wringing in certain
Jaclyn
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
The chemistry between the leads is fantastic. I love their constant battle of wills before they get to know each other better.

The mystery subplot is a bit less fleshed out, and all the info about Stuart's family near the end was a tad too rushed and twisty turny to believe / have an emotional impact. The subplot involving Susan also seemed resolved a bit too smoothly at the end.

But Charlotte and Stuart are incredible together, and I love how their relationship progressed.
Kathy Bunbury
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sensual and entertaining with plot twists to keep you turning the pages

Interesting and sensual, this story has a few twists and some odd turns, but will keep you turning the pages. This is a slow seduction, but very sexy! A few scenarios are a little implausible, but are a main part of the plot (like the niece's abduction). There seems to be several unanswered questions at the end of the book, but that is what life is like...
Merrin
I’m glad this wasn’t my first by her because I might not have read anything else. It’s very classic romance, in that it has a lot of “no means yes” and forceful kissing and a kidnapping and some near death experiences. Like, a lot of stuff all packed in. I did like the two main characters and the enemies to lovers story line, but this is probably not going to be a re-reader for me.
Jurnee
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could read it again

I lost an entire day to this book, I simply didn't want to put it down. So I didn't. Since I read it so fast will probably read it again in a month or so. Yes I liked it that much.
Linda Rae Sande
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me awhile to get into this one because none of the characters were very likable. Then, at the halfway point, something changed (the mystery in the plot) to make it a more compelling read. Suddenly, I could empathize with the characters more, and by the end, I found I really liked them.
Kelsey
not much to say. do you like cheesy regency era mysteries with flawed, lustful characters? then this is the book for you.
Cynthia Lamascola
Irresistible

Caroline Linden entertains as usual. This story is Sexy with a just enough drama mixed in to keep you interested.
Tricia
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Yech. What a woman needs, apparently, is to have some stranger force himself on her. I got very uncomfortable several times throughout.
Joan
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-z-2018
Great fast paced and engaging storyline.
Ellyn (Mrs. Darcy in my Dreams)
I am giving this a 3.5
Peggy
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Stuart Drake’s father has cut him off due to his scandalous behavior. He is not a saint, but the gossip is overblown. He needs money to take care of his estate, and decides the quickest way to get it is to wed an heiress. He finds one in Susan Tratter, but he must convince the girl’s old crone of a guardian aunt to allow the marriage. Well first, the guardian is not an old crone; she’s a beautiful widow. Second, Aunt Charlotte knows a fortune hunter when she sees one, and she sees one in Stuart. ...more
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
First reviewed at Romantic Historicals

Charlotte will never allow her niece to marry for anything less than love. Never. Learning from her own life’s experience, money helps but love matters more. Which is why Stuart Drake is not going to get his hands on Susan’s inheritance, or on her niece in any manner at all.

Stuart has no choice but to marry for money. His income from his father has been cut off. His property is mortgaged and the loans are coming due. He must marry a wealthy bride and Susan
Maura
Caroline
An intriguing premise that reminded me of an old television commercial for chocolates. Young, handsome, impoverished gentleman decides to propose to a charming, innocent, rich maiden. Unfortunately he needs the approval of the maiden's fearsome guardian -- who turns out to be a stunningly beautiful lady with a scandalous past. He quickly loses interest in the maiden (and she in him) and turns his attention to the alluring guardian.

The tale unfolds at a cracking pace, with burglaries,
liz
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roguish, soft-on-the-inside nobleman who's estranged from his father (and his father's money) courts an innocent heiress. The marriage is prevented by the heiress's new guardian, her widowed aunt, who the nobleman discovers too late is fantastically beautiful and seductive, and not half as old as he'd been led to believe. Of course, she hates him immediately, almost as much as they desire each other. They have to work together to find the young heiress when she's kidnapped... and, of course, ...more
Sarai
Oct 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I was told that this book was WONDERFUL and I have to admit at first I couldn't put it down. The heroine was great and spunky the hero was a try as hard as you can to marry for money without saying sorry for it. And the sexual tension was killing me. Then the middle happened and I gave up. I got tired of whodunit and poor me my parents hate me that's what makes me the hero and poor me I'm a heroine that learned the hard way about scandal and whoa is me and whoa is he crap. WHO CARES tell me ...more
Melissa
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Drake has been cut off by his father due to some scandals, now he is looking for an heiress to restore his fortune. Charlotte Griffolino is Susan Tratter's aunt and guardian who will not let some rake marry her niece for her inheritance. As their paths continue to cross, feelings of hate and desire bring two unexpected lovers together for a good cause. Many adventures await you in this book! Please read it and pass it on to a friend. You will not be disappointed.
This is the first book
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 14, 2015 10:20AM

• The Duke Buys a Bride (The Rogue Files, #3)
  • The Untouchable Earl (Fallen Ladies, #2)
  • The Earl (Devil's Duke, #2; Falcon Club, #5)
  • This Wicked Gift (Carhart, #0.5)
  • The Scandal of It All (The Rogue Files, #2)
  • This Earl is on Fire (Season's Original #2)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • When a Marquess Loves a Woman (Season's Original #3)
  • A Duke Changes Everything (The Duke's Den, #1)
  • How to Forget a Duke (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #1)
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • The Debutante Is Mine (Season's Original, #1)
  • Mistress of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #1)
  • Four Nights With the Duke (Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers #2; Desperate Duchesses #8)
  • Swept Away by a Kiss (Rogues of the Sea, #1)
  • A Good Debutante's Guide to Ruin (The Debutante Files, #1)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • Ten Kisses to Scandal (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #2)
Caroline Linden was born a reader, not a writer. She earned a degree in mathematics from Harvard University and worked as a programmer in the financial services industry before realizing writing fiction is much more exciting than writing code. Her books have won the NEC-RWA Readers' Choice Award, the JNRW Golden Leaf, the Daphne du Maurier Award, and RWA's RITA Award, and have been translated into ...more