Start by marking “Lust Killer” as Want to Read:
Lust Killer

Lust Killer

When young women begin mysteriously disappearing in Oregon, Police Lieutenant James Stovall leads a relentless search for a killer. With little evidence available, and the public screaming for answers, he must find a remorseless, brutal killer whose identity will shock them all ...

One by one the young women vanished without a trace ...

Pretty Linda Slawson disappeared while
Paperback, Updated edition, 295 pages
Published June 7th 1983 by Berkley Books (first published July 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Lust Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lust Killer

Start your review of Lust Killer
Obsidian
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not too much to say about this besides it's disturbing to get into the head of convicted serial killer Jerome Brudos. I think that the Mindhunter series included him in season 1. Shudder.

"Lust Killer" follows Brudos who murdered several women and had the state of Oregon in a panic in the late 60s. Rule wrote this as Andy Stack, but it still reads as Rule to me. She starts with the murder of one victim, and then works backwards into Brudos' life and hatred of his mother. And surprisingly we find
aPriL does feral sometimes
'Lust Killer' is an excellent true-crime read about a married serial killer, Jerome Brudos, who kidnapped, strangled, and hung women from a hook in the ceiling in order to take pictures and have some necrophilic fun. He was also a fond husband and father of two children.

Once again Ann Rule does a steller job in research, interviews and in including court records which help round out the story. However, it is her fantastic ability to pull it all together and write of it coherently which sets her
Paige
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Due to lack of reading material, I was forced to read Lust Killer. I wasn't too thrilled about this. I had never heard of Ann Rule, and I underestimated her because, honestly, the book just looked mediocre (I guess that goes with the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover"). I'm sorry for this, Ann. This book exceeded my expectations dramatically! This book had me hooked from almost the beginning. This was a very gruesome book, and I almost feel guilty for admitting my liking for it. It's inter ...more
Katherine Addison
Long form suits Ann Rule a good deal better, as does having an agenda. There's a reason she's writing about Jerry Brudos, and that reason informs her story-telling.

Her reason, of course, is the same reason that makes The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story compelling: educating her readers, specifically her young female readers, on the existence of men like Brudos, on the fact that you can't protect yourself from them by being "good" (or "bad," for that matter), and that if o
Caidyn (he/him/his)
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found on my blog!

CW: rape, murder, serial murder, and graphic descriptions of necrophilia and amputation of body parts

I feel like my list of content warnings really set the tone for this, didn’t it? But, really, Ann Rule does it again. This is the third book that I’ve read by her and, somehow, she manages to blow me away with each one.

This book covers a serial killer that I had never really heard of. At least, he wasn’t as high profile as Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer or Jo
Marie
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a classic true crime Ann Rule book! Very fast paced and very informative on a killer that murdered women in Oregon in the late 1960's. This book is not for the faint of heart as it describes in explicit detail what the killer did to the women. I could not put it down and it kept me glued to the page of what was going to happen next. The case of capturing the killer was also very interesting of how the law enforcement officers finally put it all together. Giving it 5* for keeping me glue ...more
Steph's Romance Book Talk
Oh my, oh my, Oh Fing MY!! I did not go into this book knowing that it was a true crime mystery. This threw me for a loop and drug me into the story even more. This is the crazy, twisted, dark, chilling account of the serial killer Jerry Brudos aka The Lust Killer. Jerry killed women in the Portland/Salem, Oregon area in the late 1960's. It is crazy to think that such a disturbed person lived. I enjoyed that when I sped up the narration the story felt like a fiction story instead of a biography ...more
Becky
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is creepy. I learned that if I am ever attacked by a psycho I should fight and try to get away. The girls that fought in this book survived. The girls that tried to reason with him or did what he said because they though he would let them go later were murdered. Jerry Brudos was one sick lunatic. Thank God he died in prison where he belonged.
Vicki
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Talk about a difficult, extremely disturbing read! Ann Rule definitely gave details and a lot of facts about the Lust Killer, Jerome Brudos, and much of it I'd like to say I wish I hadn't read; however, knowing there are true sickos in this world who care not one iota for a human being is important to try to wrap your head around it.

I don't want to give this guy any of my time, so I'll just say that the thing I had no idea about is exactly what a lust killer is. Rule explains that in her afterw
AC
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: true-crime
Written in 1983 -- just after her Bundy book -- and published under her pulp pseudonym of "Andy Stack" -- this is essentially a pulp true-crime book, and so a work of inferior quality. I gave it up halfway.

Jerry Brudos was a creep, not even intelligent or in the least interesting.

One note: We tend still to think of serial murderers as a product of their environment -- but that is not true. While abusive upbringing can exasperate psychopathy, and love (perhaps) moderate it, it does not cause it.
Gerry
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jerome Brudos did not like his mother, who doted on his elder brother, and this life style more than likely influenced his later behaviour thought the psychiatrists once he had been captured.

But by that time he had killed, most gruesomely, four ladies, all of whom happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He had transgressed with ladies before he started his killing spree but in a more minor way and he had been fortunate enough not to have been caught. Had he been caught perhaps the d
Catherine
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I miss Ann Rule

This is one of the few Ann Rule books I missed reading during her lifetime. It is gripping and solidly fact based. It's a bit too long but otherwise a compelling true crime book.
Cynthia
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Ann Rule delivers another chilling, true-crime story with Lust Killer. Often reality can be more fearful than fiction.

Jerry Brudos was indeed a very sick individual with a hatred of women that started in early childhood. Some of the twisted things he did to his victims was nothing short of shocking. He felt no remorse for the young women he violated and killed.

There is also a lesson to be learned by reading this shocking story: be aware of your surroundings, and those around you; fight, scream,
Taylor (BiblioTay)
I found the writing to be fantastic. Rule’s Stranger Beside Me had me bored throughout but in Lust Killer I was found myself unable to put it down. I definitely see why people enjoy her writing and plan to check out more of her works now.
Ken
Oct 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Straightforward biographical sketch of Jerome Henry Brudos. Active in the late 1960's in the Portland/Corvallis/Salem areas of Oregon. Married with two children. Electrician. Shoe fetish. Stocky and incredibly strong. Strangled, raped, and mutilated victims. Weighed bodies with engine parts, and dumped in river. Pleaded guilty. Multiple life sentences. Became a computer expert in prison. Died of liver cancer 2006.
Charles
I very seldom read true crime accounts. I generally find them horribly banal, and I get irritated at the blurbage where every serial killer victim is "beautiful" or "all American." I read this one to get anecdotes for my psychology classes and for my own writing. I thought it was well told although I didn't find the case itself terribly compelling.

C. M.
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Ann Rule's writing has really matured from her older books like this one. For one, she no longer writes what the murder victim was thinking and feeling before and during the murder, something that drives me nuts in true crime.
Kathy
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have not read an Ann Rule book in a long time and I forgot how well she writes these stories. Interesting, holds your interest, easy to follow and not so much repetition. This was a super read and I enjoyed it very much..
Kaitlin
Nov 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book has been my least favorite by Ann Rule. I just didn't like it at all I skipped pages and read the last page! It
Beth Lakewood
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I hate to say this, but I found this book to be dull and boring. Sorry, Ann Rule fans. Now I am trying another of Ann Rule's books and it is starting off even worse.
Kathryn Knight
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an older true crime story I chose for research purposes, and it was an interesting but very creepy case.
Sarai
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely flew through this!
Red In
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another very good book written by Ann Rule (writing as "Andy Stack"). All of the books by Ann Rule (at least all the ones I've read, and I've read a LOT!) seem to be well researched and well written. This one is about a pretty well-known sadistic serial killer, Jerome Brudos. As in all of her books, you get a bit of background info on the victims, and quite a bit of background info on the killer. In some cases, with the background information, you can easily see how the monster was created. In t ...more
Erin
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some really messed up people in this world. I like Ann's style of writing where it's pretty straight to the point. Her books make me look up more information about the cases which to means I'm invested. I really feel for the children and wives of the serial killers.
Kailey
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
My first Ann Rule of summer 2019. Feels good.
Abby Morris
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a disturbing and fascinating case from the true crime master, Ann Rule! I couldn’t put it down!
Tabitha Michel
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this down. Although there were many points I wanted to. Jerry Brudos was a monster through and through. This story is gruesome to say the least.
Magda
Interesting read. Well researched and well written
Tierney
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ann Rule looks deep into the mind of Jerome Brudos and takes us from his early years of contempt for his mother, to his final acts of hatred toward all women. His own wife, whom he loved dearly, never knew of his murders, rapes and unthinkable acts toward the women he abducted. Even when he was apprehended, the stoic confession of his crimes was more an act of bragging than remorse. Ann Rule keeps us turning the pages until we flip the last one
Heidi
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-audible
interesting true crime, but very dull
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• No One Is Perfect: The True Story Of Candace Mossler And America's Strangest Murder Trial
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church
  • Alice & Gerald: A Homicidal Love Story
  • First Degree Rage
  • Die For Me: The Terrifying True Story of the Charles Ng & Leonard Lake Torture Murders
  • To Kill and Kill Again: The Terrifying True Story of Montana's Baby-Faced Serial Sex Murderer
  • Cruel Deception
  • Evil at Lake Seminole: The Shocking True Story Surrounding the Disappearance of Mike Williams
  • Killing Cousins (Murder by Increments, #2)
  • Bad Moon Rising: The Prom Night Murders Memoir
  • Dying to Get Married: The Courtship and Murder of Julie Miller Bulloch
  • The Bayou Strangler: Louisiana’s Most Gruesome Serial Killer
  • The Doctor, the Hitman, and the Motorcycle Gang: The True Story of One of New Jersey's Most Notorious Murder for Hire Plots
  • Cold-Blooded: A True Story of Love, Lies, Greed, and Murder
  • A Checklist for Murder: The True Story of Robert John Peernock
  • Closing Time: A True Story of Robbery and Double Murder
  • The Night Stalker
  • The Hillside Stranglers
Ann Rule was a popular American true crime writer. Raised in a law enforcement and criminal justice system environment, she grew up wanting to work in law enforcement herself. She was a former Seattle Policewoman and was well educated in psychology and criminology.

She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders. At the time she started researching th