Start by marking “You Are Not Your Pain: Using Mindfulness to Relieve Pain, Reduce Stress, and Restore Well-Being---An Eight-Week Program” as Want to Read:

Developed by two authors, Vidyamala Burch and Danny Penman who themselves have struggled with severe pain after sustaining serious injuries, You Are Not Your Pain reveals a simple eight-week program of mindfulness-based practices that will melt away your suffering. Accompanied by a CD to guide you, the eight meditations in this book take just ten to twenty minutes per day ...more
Published January 6th 2015 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about You Are Not Your Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Not Your Pain

Karen Hall
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are several things I really like about this book. I like the CD with its 8 tracks of guided mindfulness practices - Vidyamalas voice is just gorgeous and instantly transports me into a calmer, less tense, trusting state where my painful body can relax and my breath can help me be 'be here now'. I like the case histories, not just Dannys & Vidyamalas own personal experiences, but all the other examples of people suffering with different conditions, and their ways of translating mindfuln ...more
Stephanie Weaver
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide to using mindfulness meditation to address chronic pain. Both authors deal with significant physical challenges, and have created an 8-week program they use in the UK to work with others. Inspiring, specific, and the meditation CD is fantastic (can also download all the meditations). Highly recommended.
Betsy
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I listened to Vidyamala Burch during an online mindfulness summit, and was please when someone addressed chronic pain in a real way. I haven't completed the program, I don't know if it will work for me. But I give it 5 stars for putting into words exactly what happens to me when my pain gets worse, exactly what my thoughts are when my pain gets worse. Instead of trying to explain to other people, I will print out excerpts from this book to hand to them to read. I've already put ...more
Steve
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A basic primer on mindfulness-- I'd recommend this for anyone who suffers from chronic pain interested and curious about the mindfulness phenomenon. The best thing here is the CD of guided meditations-- very useful/helpful and worth the price of the book.
Lisa Butterworth
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really well written and well laid out book/program. It is written specifically to deal with physical pain, but I think all the methods and ideas would work equally well for depression or anxiety, it's all pain after all.
Nancy
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book and method to follow if you're suffering with chronic pain. The meditations were very helpful and the exercises to help mentally manage being in pain all the time were useful. The authors have a good and simple way of relating the information that is need to reduce suffering.
Lisa Smith
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helpful book for understanding the difference between primary pain (actual, physical pain) and secondary pain (the mental loop of what we tell ourselves about our pain--which can either reduce the primary pain or increase it).
Jmp
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Practical suggestions ideas for helping others or yourself dealing with pain.
Nancy Butts
This book has the longest title of all time, having to do with using mindfulness meditation to reduce suffering in an eight-week program. It includes audio recordings, which I had to download from a website, of guided meditations. I did find Vidyamala’s voice quite soothing [and her British accent, with no trace at all of her New Zealand upbringing oddly, was a nice bonus]. But of all the meditations, it is only the Body Scan that I come back to. I found it much more detailed and thus more helpf ...more
Meg
Mar 23, 2017 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: audio, nonfiction
Great content and excellent narration-- but problematic in an audio format, as it's an 8-week program that you'll need to return to again and again. I may need to purchase a copy of this book in order to read it the way the authors intended (unlikely). But I enjoyed listening to the first few chapters, anyhow.
Mario Russo
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Excellent book on mindfulness.
Brandy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actually did this with a class in 2018 the CD is very good speaking from someone who has Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Some days I needed this to get though. Well be rereading soon.
Erin
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting program. I am starting my 8 week plan next week. The book itself was hard to get through on audiobook but the material seems solid enough that I recommended it to a couple of friends. I will update this review if I am blown away.
A.E.
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
If you've read the works of Jon Kabat-Zinn or are already well-versed in the literature of mindfulness and mindfulness meditations, this book won't necessarily say anything new or earth-shattering that you won't have already heard elsewhere before, but the CD that it comes with is quite useful.
Susan
Jan 19, 2016 added it
This will be a journey, as I continue with the 8 week program. I decided to listen to all audio CDs and then started my daily mediations as instructed/suggested by the author. I have found the meditations very helpful!
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff. My only quibble is the authors found mindful enlightenment very early in their pain journeys, so it's a little hard to identify with them. But this doesn't take away from the fact that the info they provided is sound
Annette
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The guided meditations and habit releasers are very helpful.
Nila
Jun 08, 2017
Andrea Angelyna
Jan 22, 2015
Adri Guadron
I suffer from chronic pain, and I'm so glad that this book has been recommended by a friend of mine. Throughout the eigh weeks program that this book offers, I am so happy that I've been capable of becoming friends with my chronic pain. I can see my pain directly to the eyes and smile at it.

I recommend to read this book and follow through the process (it might be a bit repetitive but it is worth it) give yourself a chance to look at another perspective.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Favorite guided meditation 1 2 Feb 16, 2015 03:06PM

• Life Disrupted: Getting Real about Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Stuck: Why We Can't (or Won't) Move On
  • Freedom from Pain: Discover Your Body's Power to Overcome Physical Pain
  • Becoming the Boss: New Rules for the Next Generation of Leaders
  • Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired: Living with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • You Don't Look Sick!: Living Well with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Modern Mindfulness: How to Be More Relaxed, Focused, and Kind While Living in a Fast, Digital, Always-On World
  • How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers
  • The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems
  • Insecure in Love: How Anxious Attachment Can Make You Feel Jealous, Needy, and Worried and What You Can Do About It
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, and Panic
  • Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food
  • Feeding the Hungry Heart: The Experience of Compulsive Eating
  • Heal Thy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine
  • The Writing Diet: Write Yourself Right-Size
  • The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • 8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life
VIDYAMALA BURCH is founder and codirector of Breathworks, an organization offering mindfulness-based approaches to living well with chronic pain, illness, and stress and with teachers in over 15 countries. She is the author of LIVING WELL WITH PAIN AND ILLNESS, based on her acclaimed program, and YOU ARE NOT YOUR PAIN.
“no matter what illnesses and injuries you are carrying, while you are still breathing, there is more right with you than wrong with you.” 2 likes