Start by marking “Molecular Biology of the Cell” as Want to Read:
Molecular Biology of the Cell

Molecular Biology of the Cell

As the amount of information in biology expands dramatically, it becomes increasingly important for textbooks to distill the vast amount of scientific knowledge into concise principles and enduring concepts.As with previous editions, Molecular Biology of the Cell, Sixth Edition accomplishes this goal with clear writing and beautiful illustrations. The Sixth Edition has ...more
Published November 18th 2014 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Molecular Biology of the Cell, please sign up.
Sexy Scientist A eukaryotic nucleus has dsDNA associated with histone and NHC proteins. There are many enzymes, receptors, etc. for the replication, gene expression…moreA eukaryotic nucleus has dsDNA associated with histone and NHC proteins. There are many enzymes, receptors, etc. for the replication, gene expression and their regulation. And finally, there are finished and unfinished products of replication and transcription viz. snRNA, mRNA, etc.
Were you joking when asking this question (as your username suggests)? (less)

Start your review of Molecular Biology of the Cell
Maria
May 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Great figures. My biggest problem with this text is that it is really heavy. I actually dropped it and broke two toes.
R
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, the most worthwhile book anyone can own. The culmination of thousands of lifetimes of work. Comprehensible and complete.
Bernhard
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why read the bible if you could read this instead?
Anne
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is both a fantastic introduction to cell biology and a wonderful resource - it's really a foundation text. The writing is lucid and the illustrations are wonderful. Also, there's enough introduction to higher level science to make it possible to read journals and not be utterly gobsmacked.
James
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most awesome science textbook I have ever read. I *loved* The Cell, and I loved my physics, and college biology books. This book actually changed me. It was worth studying to look at the world completely differently forever after.
Rob
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot from this book. I give it a 5 because it is a great paper weight. No, really; it's a tremendous resource, and books like this are about all I've read between 2000 and 2008.
Gnul1nux
May 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a readable text is a joy and a rarity.
Agustina Dapueto
Biology is the love of my life, so I loved the content even though I had to study for an exam from this book, which makes the reading experience a little more tedious. That takes me to my next point, as a student I found that I didn't really like the organization and the general structure of the chapters. That issue led to repetitive paragraphs and confusing sections which is not the best thing to happen when you're studying for a test because the key to properly understanding biology is the ...more
Nina Jaquelle
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medicine-related
By tagging this book as 'read' I am not implying that I read the whole mass of 1616 pages... :)I used it for chapters that were loosely explained in our lecture notes to enhance my understanding of the subject. The Cell is a great reference book with a surprisingly interesting narrative and super helpful pictures, diagrams, sketches etc. As a med student I also liked the fact that the topics were explained very generally at first before the authors delved into details, which spared me loads of ...more
Rohit
Must read book for all undergraduate Cell Molecular Biology students. Very simple representation of fundamental concepts. It also contains good question bank. Good content, Simple Language, Clear and elaborated images, overall The Best.
David
Jan 11, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming, stem
As recommended by Alan Kay to learn about systems
Frederico
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a really nice book. Enable you to understand not so basic cell functions.
Mohammad Al Refaei
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biology
A great introduction to cell biology, very comprehensive and lucid. I use it to understand any aspect of cell biology and I would recommend it to anyone keen to acquire general knowledge in this very important science field.

I use it as a resource that I seek out when I am faced with some sort of problem but not as a whole-book-read.
Zardoshti Amirreza
It is the fantastic cellular book for scientist.........
Barry
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biology
The biology professor who recommended it to me summarized it as follows: "Whenever there's a cell biology issue where I want a 'Scientific American' level summary of current research, this the book I turn to." It is gorgeous.

The only downside is that this is not a textbook necessarily suitable for an evolutionary molecular biology course. Mutations are covered well, but not as well as (say) the DNA repair mechanism. Still, a very accessible textbook that written well enough to be read cover to
Wendelle So
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great
encyclopedic, rather than emphasis on knowledge retention techniques like repeating fundamentals in boxes etc; obviously written by researchers; infodump; better accompanied by lecture notes; read 1/2-- did not finish
Le Phuong
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best textbook I've ever owned and read, still refer to it once in a while if I want to go back to basic concepts even though I'm reading journal review and articles on daily basis now. The illustrations area carefully curated.
Sunetra
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read end to end for my GBOs...lol
Case Chun
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was one of the most comprehensive cell biology books that served as a great reference for the start of my biology career.
Dhafir Fayadh
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, and comprehensive. Its my favourite mol. Cell bio text.
Ravik122
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't write summaries, but this one deserves it.
It goes into just as much details as you need at a given step (which given the enormous scope is incredible).
Visual aids at every page. Summaries at each chapter. Descriptive headlines.
A textbook ideal.

As to the content itself -- a magical fairyland but real in every aspect.
The complexity of the mind-boggling numbers of interactions needed for even a single cell to not die a couple hundred times a second, let alone survive many stressful times
Ivo
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only read the chapters that corresponded with the contents of my Cellular Biology class, but I've got to give credit where credit is due — this textbook is incredible! I actually enjoyed reading it. The author wrote it in a way that was incredibly easy to follow, and the text isn't dry or unnecessarily complicated, making this book very readable. The illustration is fantastic. It really paints a picture in your mind of every concept and process that requires an illustration.

I'll be sure to
Martin DH
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reckon this book should be in any biologists bookcase. Mine is from 2007 and still holds up, even if some, now well documented, sections ends with "but this mechanism is not yet well understood".

And spoilers: The good guy dies in the end ;)
Daryl ONeal
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference for cell biology

I used this text and edition for both my graduate school and medical school cell biology courses. Easy to read and very well written. Lots of up-to-date info. Would NOT use this text as review for board exams however; much to dense for that.
Roma A.
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned a lot from this book. Hope to read more Alberts books in the future.
Benjamin
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Especially terrific if one has no life whatsoever to speak of.
Luas n(mendozaluas10)
Biological research is in an explosive phase, driven by a new awareness of the basic
Abinash Tripathy
Saul Nonato
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
all my firiends and my like like
Darshana K.
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My favourite reference textbook for an in-depth but easy to understand study of the cell and everything it encompasses. A definite recommendation for every student of cellular and molecular biology.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Atlas of Human Anatomy
  • Concepts of Genetics
  • Organic Chemistry

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »