Start by marking “Scandal at Dawn (Regency Rhapsody, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scandal at Dawn (Regency Rhapsody, #2)

Scandal at Dawn

(Regency Rhapsody #2)

Alternate title and cover - ASIN B00B4DKWUU.

The Regency Rhapsody books are a series of lighthearted, sweet novellas set in regency-era England, celebrating the timeless power of romance. (Rated PG)

A notorious baron aims to prove himself to a proper lady, whose lack of sight does not impair her better sense...

When a cruel prank leaves the blind Olivia Blake ripe for humili
Published June 3rd 2014 by SkySpark Books (first published January 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Scandal at Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandal at Dawn

Yue
A cute novella, where we have the typical lovely maiden and handsome rake. The originality lays on Olivia, the heroine, who is blind. She is not alone, she has her cousin Emily (her "dragon") to keep her company and support her in anything.

Being a novella, the story was very well done, and the characters are very likeable, something that it is hard to find in short stories. It is sweet without being corny; it is romantic without having to be explicit. And the introduction of the two main charac
Linda Sims
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT

A really charming short story of a rake who comes to the rescue of a blind girl, after a nasty prank by a cruel man, at a ball. Leaving Olivia Blake, in a situation which would cause her public ridicule. Adrian Calwell Baron Norbury comes to the rescue, Adrian a notorious rake is charmed by Olivia's innocence and vitality for life despite her blindness.

But Olivia's uncle and guardian refuses her to have anything to do with Adrian, fearing he is merely amusing himself, at her expense. But
Jamie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
✮ Read this review and more like it on The Last Page

Since this book is a novella it doesn’t give the characters quite as much time to develop, which was a shame because I liked most of them. I had a difficult time believing in Adrian’s affections for Olivia. Not that there was anything wrong on Olivia’s end, her being swept up by a gentleman made perfect sense to me, and she’s a wonderful and sweet main character.

Adrian is supposed to be a reformed rake, which is well and good, but he puts his
Julie Barrett
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love is Blind by Elizabeth Cole
Adrian Calwell has rescued Olivia Blake after another man at the ball has abandoned her. Olivia is blind and needs assistance in most things but allows him to lead her out of the ball after the dance.
When asked he informs her of the steps as she holds his arm.
Her cousin Emily helps by telling her what others are wearing and how good looking they are as she guides her around after Adrian has left her with her cousin.
You can't even imagine how useful it is when being
Angela Mclaurin
I normally don't read short stories or novellas, but I truly enjoyed Love is Blind. It was a beautifully written story about Olivia, a young English girl who is blind. Elizabeth did a fantastic job depicting the Regency time period of London, and the interactions and conversations between the characters were equally true to the era. I loved the twist of Olivia being blind. It was an interesting characteristic to give a heroine and one that normally is not utilized. Her blindness was woven carefu ...more
Elizabeth Bennet
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Scandal At Dawn was a tease. The H is Adrian Norbury and is Olivia's champion. This, of course, an ice breaker for this reader. I love chivalry. Crombie is the villain and he delights in causing an uproar, from gossip to getting chuckles at others expense. Olivia is blind and I have to say was a bit too trusting for someone who was literally helpless. She was with the H on different occasions with no chaperone. To me that didn't make sense.

Now Adrian was a good guy but it was just too fast and m
☕️Kimberly
Cole's novella Love is Blind offered up a delightful regency romance with bits of humor and a sweet, clean romance. When the notorious rake Adrian Calwell witnesses a young scoundrel cruel prank he steps in to save Olivia Blake from a humiliating situation and the tale that unfolds is sweet, full of humorous moments and likeable characters. I thought it was different that the heroine was blind and I like that she was also strong. Her companion was snarky and made me laugh. With doting parents fo ...more
Barbara
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet love story between a reformed, lovable rake and a feisty, intelligent, realistic heroine. Characters are well written. I only wish it had been a full length novel so I could have gotten to know characters even more. Quick, satisfying read.
Emmy
Jun 19, 2014 marked it as attempted-not-for-me
Blech. Insta...everything.

Also, why is it that taking advantage of a woman, when done by the hero, not considered taking advantage!?!? Argh!
Claudine
Cute story, but ultimately lacking in depth or realism.

Olivia has been blind since she was a child, but is still entirely focused only on visual aspects of the world around her, albeit described to her by her friend. Her behaviour and actions are in no way altered from any other women in a trope-filled Historical Romance, aside from the presence of her friend who acts as her eyes.

(It would have been nice to see, for example, her serving tea, or paying morning calls, or doing anything at all whe
Lillie
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute, short Regency romance featuring an unusual heroine--a blind woman.

This was part of an anthology, but I read only a couple of novellas and am reviewing them individually.
Book Binge
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rake’s cruel prank leaves the blind Olivia Blake ripe for humiliation on a ballroom dance floor. Then an even more notorious rake sweeps her into his arms. Soon she is seduced by the charm of Adrian Calwell, the scandal-chased Baron of Norbury.

Adrian’s only goal in rescuing Olivia was to thwart his rival’s heartless trick. But Olivia is well worth rescuing, and Adrian is eager to put his life as a rake behind him. Can Adrian rise above his sordid past to win Olivia’s love?

Set against the backd
Jeffrey
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This heartwarming and lively novella struck a chord with me in more than one way. First, it is a Regency romance and second it features a worthy heroine with a significant disability. Olivia Blake is enjoying the London season with her constant companion and cousing Emily. Why the constant companion? because Olivia is blind and Emily is the fierce guardian to her cousin's safety and virtue. Beautiful, intelligent, but overly sheltered, Olivia is the victim of Mr. Cromley, a rogue, who abandons h ...more
Mommasaysread
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr
Love is Blind by Elizabeth Cole – Review
By Momma on June 17, 2013
This romance novella set in Regency London is a sweet little story. Love is Blind has just the right mix of sweetness, intrigue and romance to give it a wonderful balance! Cole’s ability to write strong dialogue is a true asset to her stories. I really do love it when an author can tell a good portion of the story through conversation.

There was an interesting insight from Olivia’s point of view. I was able to experience through Oli
Ariel McCollums
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I really enjoyed this one because the plot was a little different. Olivia is a lady with social standing who also happens to be blind due to a childhood illness and is best friends with her cousin and constant companion, Emily. Due to her blindness, Olivia is put in a position that could end up humiliating for her but it rescued by an infamous rake (player for the regency period) who takes an immediate shine to her quiet but confident attitude. With help from Emily, Olivia is able to pursue a ro ...more
Laura Thomas
Good short story

Characters fleshed out enough to want to finish the story. Blind heroine meets a rake in the process of reforming.
Peggy
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Olivia is blind - beautiful, smart, caring, and yes, blind. When Adrian rescues her from a cruel prank, he talks to her and they begin to realize they want to get to know each other better. Olivia knows Adrian‰Ûªs reputation as a rake and that her mother and uncle disapprove, but she decides not to judge him for his past and befriends him. Olivia doesn‰Ûªt understand why Adrian is interested in her. He tells her that it‰Ûªs because she asks questions about him, not about his wealth or title. Her ...more
Cecilia
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Scandal at Dawn is a very sweet and charming novella, that I encountered by chance while looking for free titles on amazon. It is a traditional Regency with a fairly conventional setting (ballroom, Vauxhall gardens, Hyde Park etc) but everything is treated with grace and a certain respect for history. The romance between the two protagonists - Olivia Blake, a blind, sweet young lady, and the former rake, Adrian Calwell, Baron Norbury - is believable, though the story finishes too abruptly for th ...more
Courtney
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I downloaded this as a freebie from Amazon and was delighted by it! Truly, delighted! It has charming and witty banter, is sweet without being cheezy, and having the heroine be blind was a twist that one doesn't often see (*snort* I love puns). It was a fast read, but managed to have quite a bit of character building and I was happily rooting for the Hero and Heroine to have their happily ever after.

Give it a go! I'm off to download the next one in the series...
Betty
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful historical romance. Olivia has been blind since the age of seven. Since her father died, she has lived with her uncle ad cousin. Her cousin and best friend is approximately her age and is her companion. They are together at a dance when a peer with a rather bd sense o humor pulls a trick on Olivia. Baron Newbury, Giggin, comes to her rescue. He then begins a courtship of Olivia much to her family's horror.
Suri
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute charming short read. I like romances where the hero changes for the heroine. Sweet courtship coming from him. Plus Olivia has a great friend in Emily. And what a cute surprise the Emily-Robert pairing.

“Really? Well, something rather brilliant is dazzling me every time I glance eastward.”

Talk about giving a pick-up line in Regency era. :D
Reina Williams
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
3.5 stars. Love is Blind is a cute, clean Regency romance novella. The characters are likeable and the story moves along quickly. I was thrown by the multiple points of view (especially in such a short book) and shifts of point of view mid-scene, as well as some of the language, which didn't keep me "in period." Overall, Love is Blind is a good clean read for fans of Regency romance.
Jane M. Powell
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Scandalous Romance!

Enjoyable reading! A man, a woman, a jealous and manipulative prankster combine to make a delightful Recency read. The plot develops in a less than predictable way and is enough to restore one's faith in the hope that there is a common core of romance in all of us!
Tammy
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this story. The characters were well done, and their romance was sweet. Although it is a fairly short novella, it didn't feel like it. The story was complete, and didn't feel rushed. It has made me want to find and read the other books in the series now.
Jane
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.00 stars - rated pg13/heavy pg13??

I'm very slowly going through all my bookshelves and trying to catalogue books bought and read in years gone by. Stars and ratings are mere guesses at this point. I'm assuming I enjoyed the book at some point in my life?
Sue
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Loved this story. Our hero/rake was very thoughtful of Olivia's condition. I loved her cousin and the witty banter. My only complaint is that it was too short. I read it in no time at all. I needed more.
Stephanie Johnson
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love is never blind

Olivia might not be able to see physically but she knows when she sees the man of her dreams. With the help of her cousin - Olivia seals the deal for happy ever after with hits that her cousin will not be fair behind
A sweet regency novel. I liked the fact that the hero was a rake trying to change and the woman he is chasing is blind--not your typical romance novel. I would love to hear more about her cousin, Emily.
language: clean, heat level: mild
Michele bookloverforever
read under the title Scandal At Dawn....very short, very innocent romance....
Cassie
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but really sweet

I really liked this book about the blind maiden and the rake interested in her. Can't wait to read more about her "dragon"
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine editions 6 32 Mar 19, 2013 10:29AM

• A Lady By Any Other Name
  • Curricle & Chaise
  • The Perfect Lady Worthe
  • Most Truly (Love at Pemberley, #1)
  • A Devil's Touch (The Devil DeVere #4.5)
  • Desperate Measures
  • Wedded Bliss
  • The Secret Christmas Ciphers
  • A Christmas Baby (Rogues Club, #4)
  • Undressed (Ashton/Rosemoor, #3)
  • Candle's Christmas Chair
  • Lord Fool to the Rescue
  • A Beastly Scandal
  • No Ordinary Love
  • Baring It All
  • Lady Sophia's Rescue
  • Red Satin
  • Miss Billings Treads the Boards
Elizabeth Cole is a romance author with a penchant for history, which is why she lives in an old house in an old city. She can be found hanging around libraries and archives, or curled in a corner reading, cat on lap. She believes in love at first sight. Then again, she also believes that mac 'n' cheese is a healthy breakfast, so don't trust her judgment on everything.

Get in touch with her at http

Regency Rhapsody (5 books)
  • A Winter's Knight (Regency Rhapsody, #1)
  • Watch For Me By Moonlight (Regency Rhapsody, #3)
  • A Voice at Midnight (Regency Rhapsody, #4)
  • A Dress the Color of Dusk (Regency Rhapsody, #5)