Start by marking “Root to Leaf: A Southern Chef Cooks Through the Seasons” as Want to Read:
Root to Leaf: A Southern Chef Cooks Through the Seasons

Root to Leaf: A Southern Chef Cooks Through the Seasons

Finalist for the 2016 IACP Awards: Julia Child First Book

Eat More Vegetables.

Chef of the award-winning Atlanta restaurant Miller Union, Steven Satterfield—dubbed the “Vegetable Shaman” by theNew York Times’ Sam Sifton—has enchanted diners with his vegetable dishes, capturing the essence of fresh produce through a simple, elegant cooking style. Like his contemporaries April
Published March 3rd 2015 by Harper Wave

To ask other readers questions about Root to Leaf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Root to Leaf

Start your review of Root to Leaf: A Southern Chef Cooks Through the Seasons
Sarah-Hope
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have a very specific list of things I want from a cookbook:

• I want interesting flavors: combinations I wouldn’t come up with on my own that work well together.

• I want recipes that feature fresh produce I can find at my local farmers’ market.

• I want recipes that use a minimum of refined carbs.

• I want recipes that minimize the use of meat—I like to think of meat as a type of seasoning, rather than the bulk of any dish.

• I want recipes that I can put together in a reasonable amount of time, s
Leeanna
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Living in Atlanta, I've had the good fortune to enjoy Steven's cooking firsthand! Root to Leaf is one of those cookbooks I keep going back to anytime I'm stuck. The cookbook is organized by season and by ingredient. It's primarily vegetarian, but the recipes are easily adaptable for carnivores. What I like most about this cookbook is it's simplicity. The recipes really show off the flavors of the fruits and vegetables. For the most part, the recipes don't have a lot of ingredients, and I've neve ...more
Rosemary Burton
Apr 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unpleasant read

I can't recommend this book to anyone. A pretty cover and reduced price enticed me to try but left me disappointed in the tone and pretentious view of the author. Writing requires personality and writing a cookbook a sense of hospitality and willingness to share more than ingredients and recipe suggestions. Nothing new to bring into my own kitchens.
Deborah
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some really good recipes in this collection and some unusual approaches which are intriguing. Recommend it!
Sharon
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Root to Leaf is a vegetable cookbook, but not a vegetarian one. It features fresh produce, but is not without occasional meat.
This is a gorgeous book to display. It is printed on quality paper that is dreamy to flip through and the photographs make vegetables look amazing. The title refers to using the whole plant, including finding ways to use both root and leaf when possible. In this vein, there are recipes for beets, as well as beet greens, etc. I made the red-velvet beet cake and it got high
carla
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
As a vegetarian I tend to check out new vegetable cookbooks as soon as they come out, Root to Leaf being no exception. Gorgeous photos and nice introductions to each vegetables of fruit set a nice tone. Still, most of the recipes are similar in structure to what I already do, so it was not new news to me. Still, if you are not familiar with cooking veggies in all their forms this might be a decent primer.
Sharon
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook makes seasonal fruits and vegetables approachable, even if not all are quite so common in the West as the South. Recipes are listed on dedicated pages, which makes the directions easy to follow. My only challenge is that the nutritional serving breakdowns are not included, which means some long-hand calculations for carbohydrate counting. Otherwise, this hefty volume offers lots of options with beautiful photography.
Meredith
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is beautifully crafted, and the recipes are definitely new takes on old friends.
The seasonal approach makes sense and highlights the ingredients, and Satterfield's southern twist on international flavors (and modern twist on traditional flavors), along with common-sense commentary and downright gorgeous photography made this a a delight to read.
Kate
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-it
I love looking through cookbooks and this one did not disappoint. The photos were beautiful, the recipes simple and full of many ingredients I get from my local CSA. I picked this one up from the library, but would love to have it on my shelves eventually.
Rob Bloom
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this cook book as I tend to veer southern in my food interests these days and it really gets to seasonality. Focuses on seasonal vegetables but not strictly a vegetarian cookbook...
Liz De Coster
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, hobbies
Just didn't see anything that sparked my interest.
Elizabeth
Amy
Nov 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Psychology of Money
  • De limieten van de markt
  • Good Veg: Ebullient Vegetables, Bold Flavors—Thoughtful Vegetarian Eating for Life
  • Escape London: Days Out Within Easy Reach of London
  • The Deficit Myth: Modern Monetary Theory and the Birth of the People's Economy
  • Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
  • Arithmetic
  • The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science
  • Modern Baking

News & Interviews

“Much of traditional Southern cooking parallels Italian peasant cuisine. Consider cooked radicchio with polenta. It is not dissimilar to our grits and greens.” 0 likes