Start by marking “Do Your Om Thing: Bending Yoga Tradition to Fit Your Modern Life” as Want to Read:
Do Your Om Thing: Bending Yoga Tradition to Fit Your Modern Life

Do Your Om Thing: Bending Yoga Tradition to Fit Your Modern Life

Yoga, Meet Life.

Sometimes an hour-long yoga class is the only chance we get to connect meaningfully with our bodies and our minds during a week otherwise full of work, family, and the daily grind. Have you ever wondered how would it feel to bring that experience of awareness and calm out of the yoga studio and into your everyday life? After all, we know that pr
Published March 3rd 2015 by Harper Wave

To ask other readers questions about Do Your Om Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Your Om Thing

Start your review of Do Your Om Thing: Bending Yoga Tradition to Fit Your Modern Life
Amanda NEVER MANDY
**I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.**

I have danced around the idea of Yoga for quite some time. It’s something I should probably try but have failed to commit to because I’m kind of lazy and super uncoordinated. When I saw this book on the giveaway page, I thought why not. I mean I seem to be real good at reading up on things and not actually doing them, so winning a book like this would be right up my alley.

This book is excellent at giving the
Victoria Klein
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oooh, have I got a Yoga book for you.

Wait, don’t close the window yet!

I know there’s a seemingly endless number of Yoga books on the shelves these days, but this one is for YOU. Yes you – the real person on the other end of the screen you’re reading this post on right now.

You have a job, friends, family, lover(s), commitments, hopes, dreams, fears, and bills (among other things). You make it to a Yoga class when you can, or maybe you have a dedicated asana pra
Janna Dorman
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this! I've always heard there's so much more to yoga than posing on a mat, but I never felt like I had the right resources to figure out what that meant. This book is the perfect answer. Pacheco provides readers with a blend of yoga history and easy ways to incorporate aspects of yoga into their daily lives. I've already incorporated a few things I learned and I plan to continually reference this book. I highly recommend this book for anyone who does yoga or has an interest in y ...more
Mandi Beam
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

It took months to finish this book! Not because it was hard to read, but because I was constantly going back and re-reading chapters over and over again. If you are a Yoga student, Yoga teacher or simply wanting to get into Yoga, read this book. You will learn about the tradition of Yoga, the poses, the breath work and so much more. She writes in such an engaging way that you feel like you are sitting down and talking over coffee. I will read this book again and again. Five stars!
Rebecca Scott
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My oh my was this a wonderful book! I first noticed this book at my friend's house and thought "that is an interesting title" (and also the fact that I share the same name as the author's). This book discusses the background of yoga philosophy (from past to present), the body as yoga tradition views it (koshas and chakras) and how to balance and integrate each of these, the mind (meditation advice), and yoga's spiritual roots and the profound impact they can have on day-to-day life. Throughout t ...more
Michi Poindexter
The best first yoga book to pick up

I have read a good amount of yoga books and after reading this one, the language is there for the modern yogi and how to practice these traditional ideas in our lives today. Many of the concepts weren’t new to me but they seemed more achievable. I will probably reread this book over and over and still find hidden gems. I will also use this book as my first recommendation when people ask me what yoga book to read.
Nadja (fit-and-beautiful-heart-reads)
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I needed some time making my way through it reading it whenever I felt for it. Its incredible informative and I learned a lot not just about yoga but also about myself. Although its a lot of information its easy to read, the examples are amazing and the humorous take on some aspects the modern world adds to this traditional practice really made me smile.

4.5 out of 5 stars. I am pretty sure I will pick this up again and read through some of it again when needed.
The Laurax
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved it! I recently started practicing again and I was reaping the physical benefits but the sense of calm I used to have attending classes was missing. Pacheco talks to the reader as a beginner, giving a history and spiritual context to what a lot of Americans only see as a workout. Yoga is so much more and those of us who practice physically can benefit tremendously by applying some of the principles to our time on and off the mat. 4.5/5
Rebecca
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. It was full of yoga wisdom and tradition but in a really approachable manner. It gave some really good advice on how to apply ancient yogic teachings to today. I would definitely recommend reading this one.
Jessie Trager
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is a little bit late (seeing as I technically finished this book nearly a month ago) but it's taken me awhile to form coherent thoughts about it. I've also gone back and re-read it twice now and annotated the entire thing very VERY thoroughly.

It's clear I'm in love with this book! I've always had an obsession with self-help books and this one is of a better caliber than most as it suggests ways to improve upon your life by following a more yogic lifestyle/viewpoint. Why does this ma
Hayal
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The yoga book I was waiting for. Loved it and will keep referring to it in the future. Here's an excerpt that I belive accurately represents the premise of the book: "Yoga is not about performance. It's about practice, on your mat AND in your life. If you want to get better at anything, what should you do? Practice. Confidence, compassion, awareness, and joy-if you want more of these-and who doesn't?-yoga offers the skills to practice them.(...) Yoga is about attaining a clearer sense of who you ...more
Katie
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! I have many (blue) flags/markers all over the pages of quotes or exercises I want to remember. One of my favorite parts was in the meditation section where she talks about stop waiting for the perfect condition to meditate. It goes on to read "You just need to start. And while you're at it, throw out the perfect life plan in which a relationship, job, marriage, or family happen according to a schedule. You're not a train. You're a person, with a soul." It goes on to say that "Th ...more
Brenda
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Took me a while to finish, not because it was a tough read, but because I wanted to pay attention and didn't always have the necessary lack of distractions.

Fabulous book. I have dog-eared pages and plan to keep this close by as I travel my yoga journey.

I first heard about Rebecca Pacheco when I was reading an article about yoga for runners. This book was a give-away a conference I attended in November. Ms. Pacheco writes in about as honest a manner as one can...she even admits to th
Audrey
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I appreciated all of the prompts and full understanding of yoga beyond just the moves
Ryan
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cassandra
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in preparation for my YTT. The benefits of this book is that it has a clear, concise writing style imbedded with a bit of humour here and there. I apprecidate Pacheco's mission to make yoga practical and accessible to people for a variety of backgrounds and beliefs. She went through the basics of yoga philosophy, writing it in a way that the average reader could even understand.

The downside: In her attempts to make yoga philosophy and basic yoga tenants accessible, it was a bit
Ashley
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I needed to read this right now. It convinced me to quit my gym membership. No really. I was thinking about yoga so one dimensionally - - that it only really counted if I made it to a class, which only happened once ever three weeks. I was only thinking of the physical exercise part of it and not all of the mental and psychological aspects of it. I can do a yoga flow anytime from a YouTube video. But I really need to think about all of the other ways I should be allowing yoga into my life, throu ...more
Amber
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-loan
3.5 stars. On the one hand, I liked the premise of the book- to take what works from yoga for yourself. The author had a conversational voice and good sense of humor. I enjoy the physical aspects of yoga, and occasionally make an effort at meditation, though I find the latter very difficult. The author presented a good overview of the history of yoga, and the different traditional components of the practice. On the other hand, I struggled to maintain interest during a few chapters which delved i ...more
Boomers Gems
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book stood out to me in a used book store, in fact, I ended up with 'uncorrected proof' so I am curious what the final edit is exactly.
Rebecca delighted me with her words and her story of starting yoga as a teenager. I sure wish I would've been introduced to yoga that early in my life.
She talks about yamas and niyamas and the Dali Lama and so much more. I enjoyed her style and her honesty in the aspect that everyday on the mat isnt always fantastic.
If you're into yoga it's a gr
Olivia
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasure to read. I've read many books on Eastern/Buddhist Philosophy and a few on yoga, and this one really combines these two subjects well. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who's interested in yoga as much as I would to someone who practices regularly and is feeling that itch for more that won't be scratched just by going to more classes. Pacheco speaks frankly about yoga beyond just the poses in a way that's accessible and just feels real. I especially enjoyed the fact she's f ...more
Cassie Richard
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining and informative. I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn more about yoga (physical, philosophical, and historical), but is hesitant to crack open a textbook. Pacheco’s integration of her own experience as a modern yogi makes this informative text compelling and relatable.
Andrea
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy Read for a Quick Dip into Yoga Philosophy

As someone getting into yoga philosophy, this book took expansive ideas into a more tangible, quick read style. While I personally did find the author pretentious at times, I could still appreciate and take from the knowledge in this book. If you are new to yoga philosophy, I highly suggest this.
Ivy
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga, lol-ed
I really enjoyed the first 70% of this book. Pacheco is a hilarious author who writes in a very relatable way. She says some amazing things that I will definitely apply into my life and my practice. Towards the end of the book she dives into the spiritual, which I'm not yet ready to tackle, so that is where the book faltered for me. Overall, really powerful book.
Anne Brogan
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the real deal for those of us who couldnt even sit in a yoga position before reading. It offers a fresh approach to not only yoga but life. For me this wasn't a one time read, once done put back on the shelf. I keep my copy handy for quick reference regarding the power of breath, mindfulness, chakra use. Chock full of great info and written by a true Bostonian - no bull!
Alison S
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was well written and managed to be both down to earth and inspirational. A modern take on all aspects of yoga practice, not just the physical, with lots of practical advice about how to incorporate all the different aspects of yoga into everyday life.
Julie S
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This book is a great overview on many aspects of yoga. I especially liked the journaling prompts following many on the topics discussed. She gave solid information that would easily lead to further study if desired. Well written and easy to read.
Carri
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what I was looking for when I went on search of a book about yoga philosophy.
Esra Tasdelen
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much inspiration and wisdom in this book. Highly recommend to yogis but also those looking to start practicing!
Meg
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bad puns aside, this was a great primer on all things yoga with minimal pseudoscientific bs.
Katie
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Far better than I was expecting. Explains all of the philosophy and more of yoga tradition in an accessible way. I highly recommend for anyone wanting to learn more than the poses
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Perfectly Imperfect: The Art and Soul of Yoga Practice
  • Yoga Girl
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • Invincible Living: The Power of Yoga, The Energy of Breath, and Other Tools for a Radiant Life
  • Yoga for Life: A Journey to Inner Peace and Freedom
  • The Yamas  Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice
  • This is How I Save My Life: A True Story of Finding Everything When You are Willing to Try Anything
  • The Goddess Revolution: Make Peace with Food, Love Your Body and Reclaim Your Life
  • The Medicinal Chef: Eat Your Way to Better Health
  • Live Fit Kitchen: 100 Simple, Delicious Recipes for Living Fit, Living Life, and Living Love
  • Food: What the Heck Should I Cook?: More than 100 Delicious Recipes--Pegan, Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, and More--For Lifelong Health
  • Fierce Medicine: Breakthrough Practices to Heal the Body and Ignite the Spirit
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
  • No Mud, No Lotus: The Art of Transforming Suffering
  • Red River Girl: The Life and Death of Tina Fontaine
  • On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard
  • Shadow Puppet (Dan Sharp Mystery , #6)
  • Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to  Enlightenment
“What I have to say about meditation boils down to this: it never hurts. It always helps. It costs nothing, and it improves everything.” 6 likes
“Happiness is when what you think, what you do, and what you say are in harmony.” 5 likes