Start by marking “The Last Mission of the Living (The Last Bastion #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Mission of the Living (The Last Bastion #2)

The Last Mission of the Living

(The Last Bastion #2)

Humanity teeters on the brink of extinction...

Published August 28th 2014 (first published August 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Mission of the Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Mission of the Living

Start your review of The Last Mission of the Living (The Last Bastion #2)
Bonnie
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

The Last Mission of the Living is the unexpected surprise second installment following the thrilling futuristic zombie novel The Last Bastion of the Living. This installment switches points of view from Maria Martinez to her best friend Lindsay Rooney and is fortunately no less intense than we’ve all come to expect from any Rhiannon Frater tale. The Last Mission is a definitely longer tale but is no less worth the time.

In The Last Bastion, the stronghold and the last
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

I liked this book but throwing in a massive infiltration of the Gaia cult on top of all of the normal conflicts just seemed too much, notice the word "massive". And the ending was a little too HEA for the world they live in. Other than those two complaints, I enjoyed the book.
BookLoversLife
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Book 1 of this really blew me away (check my review HERE) so I was expecting big things for this. Well I'm thrilled to say that, even though it doesn't focus on the same characters, it's just as good as the first. I absolutely loved it and devoured the book in only a few days. Considering its a long book, that just shows how good it is!!

This one features Marias best friend Lindsey. I loved Lindsey in The Last Bastion of the Living and am glad she got her own book.

Character wise, Lindsey is an
Beth
The Last Mission of the Living is a outstandingly gritty plunge into the marvelous world created by Rhiannon Frater.

I loved The Last Bastion of the Living so when I was given a chance to jump back into Fraters post apocalyptic, zombie infested world, I was 100% on board.

What a ride!!!

This story focuses on Lindsey, for those who read the first book she is Maria’s best friend.

Lindsey was injured and has a disability in her leg. Thought she was forever delegated to desk job, she's happy to be back
Lelia Taylor
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
Much has changed since the Special Ops team cleared out most of the Scourge but there are still Scrags to be killed and, worse still, Abscrags, those that have been turned into thinking undead. It could be, though, that the most dangerous battle is taking place inside the Bastion where a struggle for power is taking shape.

We first met Lindsey as a secondary character in The Last Bastion of the Living when the Vanguards made a deadly and mostly fruitless attempt to rebuild the wall. Best friends
R.G. Richards
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the first. The book starts with zombie action only these are different zombies added to the mix. After that, it turns into a love story for the next 40 percent or more of the book before we encounter zombies again. I must say it takes an intriguing story to keep you reading when you expect zombies and get none for the longest of times. This book is more for those who like a lot of romance in an apocalyptic story.
Melissa Gouveia
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!
Melanie Slade
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where is book 3?

Once again an fantastic book and I can’t wait to read book 3 in the series. Keep up the great work
Jennifer  (BTH Reviews)
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Review originally appeared on Books That Hook

The Last Mission of the Living is the second book in The Last Bastion series by Rhiannon Frater. It is available in both paperback and e-book, through online retailers only.

This book picks up right where the previous book, The Last Bastion of the Living, stopped. However, the reader is now seeing things from a
Stacey Brutger
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
DESCRIPTION:
Vanguard Lindsay Rooney has faced the undead hordes of Inferi Scourge and lived to tell the tale, but she has also suffered horrible losses. Like millions of other civilians, she had hoped that The Bastion would recover after a team of modified soldiers eradicated the undead hordes of Inferi Scourge that infested their valley. Yet the city still crumbles around them, along with any chance of survival.

Lindsey’s growing friendship with Torran MacDonald, an officer with the Science
Rachel Tsoumbakos
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Last Mission of the Living by Rhiannon Frater held a major concern for me: could this book live up to the first one in the series, The Last Bastion of the Living, or would it fail like so many second books have?

Well, I am happy to announce that it certainly did live up to my very high expectations!

This book is unique in that it covers a whole new set of main characters, so if you wanted to read it as a stand alone, then it would completely hold up on its own. However, it is still set in the
Tnt Reviews
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book picked up right where book one left off but from Lindsey's point of view. It again sucked me right in. I couldn't put it down. The ruling parties of the Bastion are at it again. The SWD is attempting to sabotage the President and take over. Food supplies are running out. Something needs to be done ASAP or everyone will starve to death. The Scrags have been cleared out and farming has begun. Unfortunately someone sabotages
Michelle
Once again we have master storytelling from one of the most creative horror writers of our time. If you thought The Last Bastion of the Living gave you heart palpitations wait until you read this one. I binged read this last night and couldn't sleep afterwards. Every time I closed my eyes I started dreaming of Inferi Scourge running amok in the valley chasing after everyone and trying to turn them into what they are while I sat and watched perched in a cage and was unable to do anything. Weird ...more
Andy Simmons
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent sequel to an equally excellent book. Last Mission picks up where Bastion ended but the primary character in this book in Lindsey Rooney, the best friend of Maria.

Set in the machiavellian and dystopian Bastion the story continues the themes and story of the last humans as they struggle to survive in a world filled with Inferi Scourge (think fast zombies). After liberating the valley where the Bastion is placed humanity still need supplies from the world outside. Lindsey is
Kelli
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
this was great. I kept pushing it down, on my to-read list. I enjoyed the first novel, but I'm not a huge fan of series when each book is stand alone, and 1st book characters don't continue. BUT, finally, I read this, and it was amazing. I definitely like this one better than the first book. Lindsey is main female and she's adorable and revering and a force, all at once. Really enjoyed this one and I'm excited there is a 3rd book to come this year.
Julia Damatto
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like it, but not as much as The Last Bastion, in this book, we have Lindsey's point of view and we get introduced to her sexy sidekick Torran. Like in Book 1, the Author delivers a heavy and strong plot, with a lot of action and emotions, twists and turns and of course, it shows once again that the Humans are more dangerous that Zombies.
Rhiannon Frater is a great storyteller, highly recommended for Horror/Zombie/Dystopian lovers!!
Lorre
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The world Rhiannon Frater created in The Last Bastion of the Living was so amazing that I did a little dance when she announced she would write another book in the same world.

Although The Last Mission of the Living is not with the same lead charachters, it as brilliant as the previous book!
Paddy
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
So glad Rhiannon Frater decided to write a sequel, because this was fantastic. The last bastion was a great book, but I think I enjoyed this one even more.Considering it was a book she never intended to write, the story line is very different and well thought out, which is without a doubt a credit to her imagination and skill. The story was left with a possible third book? I for one would be hungry to read another, just loved it
Shelley
**I received this E-book free from the Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Adult, Post-Apocalyptic
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Full Review to Follow*

*Recvd 09/18/2014 via Author* Published August 28th 2014 (first published August 27th 2014)
Camille
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
See the full review on The Bookwhore Diaries

Set in a dystopic world filled of carnivorous undead along with Miss Frater's haunting writing, you'd truly consider if there's a possibility of a zom-Scourge invasion.

And if there's any hope left for the world.
Richelle
Oct 13, 2014 marked it as putting-down-for-now
Shelves: own
Yay this just came in the mail
Today !!
Can't wait to jump into this amazing world again..
I haven't been able to stop thinking about book 1 since I read it !
Absolutely amazing! Completely compelling !!
Can't wait !
Starting it now ...!
Melissa
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I cannot find the right word for this book! I enjoyed every page! It was hard to put down and when I did I was wondering what was next! Can't wait to read more!!

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.
the
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first installment

I was distracted by, what I believe to be unnecessary and gratuitously detailed lovemaking scenes. I kept reading hoping it would improve. It did not.
Lindsay
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In one word? Intense!

Full review to come.

A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

FB Banner
Angel Adams
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How could ask for anything more

Sci-fi, action, adventure, dystopian, zombies, and least of all romance. Great follow up. Leaves me wanting more! I really hope you could squeeze out at least one more story even if it's just a novella.
Rosemary
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love it as much as Book #1. Thanks Rhiannon.
Markus W
As with most of her books I loved the story itself, but the ending was rather lackluster. It seemed rushed and not really all that thought out.
Erin
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Where's book 3???
Shanna Tidwell
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as the first but I'm hoping for a 3rd installment! Let friends unite & repopulate the world with their children!
Anthony Small
Feb 29, 2016
Can this be read as a standalone? 2 5 Mar 07, 2015 07:40AM

• Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
  • The Eve (The Eden Trilogy, #3)
  • The Human (The Eden Trilogy, #2)
  • Terror on the Two-Lane (Zombie Road #5)
  • Terminal Impact (Jack Valentine Marine Sniper #1)
  • The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1)
  • Oath of Honor (Logan West #2)
  • Battlefield Ukraine (Red Storm #1)
  • Zero Sum Game (Cas Russell, #1)
  • Origin Story (DJ Slaughter #1)
  • Hellhole (Hellhole, #1)
  • The Rule of Three (Extinction Cycle; Extinction: NZ #1)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Flame in the Dark (Soulwood, #3)
  • Cauldron of Fire (Blood on the Stars, #5)
  • The Presence of Evil (Task Force Orange #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • Vanguard (Razorland, #4)
Rhiannon Frater is the award-winning author of the As the World Dies zombie trilogy (Tor) as well as independent works such as The Last Bastion of the Living (declared the #1 Zombie Release of 2012 by Explorations Fantasy Blog and the #1 Zombie Novel of the Decade by B&N Book Blog).

She was born and raised in Texas where she currently resides with her husband and furry children (a.k.a pets).

The Last Bastion (3 books)
  • Escape to the Last Bastion (The Last Bastion #0.5)
  • The Last Bastion of the Living (The Last Bastion #1)
“Everything is better when we’re together. Even when it’s bad.” 2 likes
“It wouldn’t be The Bastion if some conspiracy wasn’t brewing in the dark recesses of the halls of power,” 0 likes