Start by marking “The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting” as Want to Read:
The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting

The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting

Apparently I'm boring. A nobody.
But that's all about to change.
Because I am starting a project.
Here. Now. For myself.
And if you want to come along for the ride then you're very welcome.

Bree is by no means popular. Most of the time, she hates her life, her school, her never-there-parents. So she writes.

But when Bree is told she needs to stop shutting the world out and start
Paperback, UK, 448 pages
Published August 1st 2014 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Holly Bourne The Metamorphosis & Other Stories - well, that's what was in my head :)

Emma Blackery
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredible piece of YA literature. Finally, an author who GETS it. You can say "we were all young once..." but if I had a penny for every time I came across a "young adult" novel that had unrelatable characters, no flaws, unconvincing dialogue...

Holly isn't like that. This book will pull you in and refuse to let go. Probably the best YA novel I've ever read, and that's a strong statement to make.
Georgie
Dec 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I need to write this review because this book got on my nerves so much.

It's great if you love this book. I'm happy that you enjoyed it. Before I started reading, I read a lot of reviews that declared 'The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting' as "the best of the year" or the new "favorite YA novel". I had high hopes, obviously.

Instead of a great story with good characters and a solid plot, I found myself reading some kind of soap box speech about teenage culture and its downfalls. The writing's
Aj the Ravenous Reader

I am not sure how to feel about the book. The Manifesto on How to be Interesting is basically about a high school outcast who experiments on how to be interesting as part of her research in becoming a writer. It’s kind of formulaic, cliché-ish, quite bitter and anti-humanistic but with a lot of truth to it.

As usual, the writing is very bold, revolutionary and feministic. At times though, I feel like it went a bit too far. The things Bree personally decided to do as “parts” of her experiment are
julia ✨
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Out of 70 books, this was the best book I have read this year.
I could give you a 2000 words essay about how much I loved this book, but I don't think anything I'd write would nearly describe just how AWESOME it was.
So I guess you'll have to find out for yourself if you want to know. :-)
Hannah
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
LOVED this! Such a great take on "high school drama", identity & self-harm. So proud of my friend Holly for writing this & so glad I enjoyed it otherwise things would be awkward between us...
Kate (GirlReading)
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Firstly I have to say I really enjoy the way Holly Bourne writes. Her books are such comfortable reads. They flow brilliantly and read so quickly. I pretty much zoomed through and finished this in one sitting. Holly somehow manages to tackle difficult topics in a way that makes them 'easy' to read.

With that being said, I didn't love this book. I enjoyed it but there's something making it hard for me to work out how I feel about it. I'm conflicted. The whole book gave me a huge 'Mean Girls' movie
Ellen
Aug 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I hated this book. That sounds so harsh, because I thought I would never hate a book. I have always valued the authors craft, even if a book just wasn't for me. But this book was... So so so problematic.

Let's start with Bree. She tries to self proclaim herself as a feminist voice but shames girls for liking boys.
'I have self respect'
Yeah, Bree, self respect is self defined. Not up to your judgemental standards. There was an intense amount of girl hate in this book. Why do authors keep writing
Maddie
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stand-alones, ukya
I still don't know how I feel about this book. It was exactly like 'Mean Girls', in the way that a girl who thinks she's a loser, and social outcast, works her way up to the top of the popularity ladder with the application of lipstick and expensive hosiery. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the reality. The novel only really understood girls on a surface level, and took a long time before an epiphany was reached that even mean girls are human.
I really liked the blogging element, and the idea about
Paige  Bookdragon
Oct 28, 2015 marked it as think-about-it
Shelves: young-adult
Six steps that will see her infiltrate the popular set...

Why do people always think that being in the "popular set" can make them "interesting"?
Lara
Jan 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I gave up reading this, this book made me cringe way to much and teacher-student relationship made me gag alot so Im done with this book sorry!
Nova
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
(First of all a quick note to say I haven't edited this review. It's a mess. I'm tired. Oh well. I hope it's coherent.)
This book was... okay.
It had a message. It was well-written (ish). It kept me coming back and turning the page, desperate to read more explicit details of Bree's messy experiment.
But it was also problematic.
Bree was generally a very strange character. She had depth, yes- immensely so, as we figure out- but she seems like an ego-maniac, to be blunt. Maybe the author was trying t
Greyson [Use Your Words]
Trauma. It doesn't eke itself out over time. It doesn't split itself manageably into bite-sized chunks and distribute itself equally throughout your life.
Trauma is all or nothing. A tsunami wave of destruction.
A tornado of unimaginable awfulness that whooshes into your life - just for one key moment - and wreaks such havoc that, in just an instant, your whole world will never be the same again.

This book! God, this book.
The Manifesto on How to be Interesting is a great book! Bourne has a way of
Patricia Crowther
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5*
Ally
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Choose life. Choose love. And always remember to live.

I think it’s time to admit that I’m too old for YA contemporary. Shit, I never thought that would happen. To be honest I never thought I would become a fully certified adult. It’s not something that I wanted for myself. But here I am, paying car tax, doing crafts and getting excited about home decor and help.

There’s nothing wrong with anyone, of any age reading YA contemporary (I’d certainly be a hypocrite if I said that there was), but I fe
Eden Davis
Aug 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
I just finished this book and felt compelled to write a review. I seriously have no idea why it's so highly praised.
It's predictable and unrealistic and so unbelievably similar to the plot of Mean Girls... I could hardly believe when I saw that the author had actually quoted 'Mean Girls' in the book! If you've seen the film, this book will feel very familiar - however, it fails to be as funny/iconic.
Also, if you're a PLL fan you'll probably end up guessing one big twist in the story.

I'm not
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Review originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction (book blog): https://afrolicthroughfiction.wordpre...

I’m just going to go ahead and say it: I should have read this book first.

Out of all of Holly Bourne’s books that I’ve read so far, I should’ve started with this one. Purely because when I read Am I Normal Yet? and How Hard Can Love Be? I absolutely adored them, so my expectations for this one were high, to say the least. Everything that was said in those books I agreed with…and I feel lik
Badz (Abandoned Marionette)
I actually did not finish this book. I meam, I tried so hard to psuh through so that I could give a review concerning its entireity, but after just 100 pages, I just cannot stand it anymore.

You see, I have seen this book everywhere and a lot of people I know completely fell in love with it. And so when I started readong it, I was so surprised at how annoying the main protagonist is.

This is the type of book which claims to portray feminism but ruins the essence of it in actuality. The narrator cl
Miss Page Turner
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
First impression: Unique story approach and a protagonist worth getting to know better. Holly Bourne introduces us to Bree, a quiet girl who is very intelligent and withdrawn. Soon she's going to change radically. In the beginning she has a fantastic relationship with her best friend Holdo. They watch movies together and hang out. They have a very trusting and intimate friendship that makes both their lives so much brighter. It is a friendship that I recognized as something very important for Br ...more
Ellis
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
So what did I think? From my high ranking you can guess that I enjoyed this book a lot. And I did. But it still isn't a book I would recommend everybody. First of all there is a big trigger warning for selfharm. And then again I guess you have to like this kind of story and they way it is told. I thought it was brilliant and didn't feel that connected to a book, not just to the characters but to the whole book in a while. I love it. I really think people overuse the word love and I try not to. B ...more
Atlas
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I need to be interesting, Logan, I need to be someone

1 / 5

My secondary school years a couple of years behind me now, but looking back I feel like I had a fairly typical experience: a small group of close friends, studied hard, mostly enjoyed myself. The worst age was probably fourteen to about sixteen where I was gangly and socially awkward. A couple of boys were mean to me, but I wouldn't say I was bullied. In Sixth Form, aged sixteen to eighteen, I had an amazing time. Not so for Bree.

Bree s
Larnacouer  de SH
3,5

İlk çeyrekte tamam dedim, yine bildiğimiz sıradan kötü kızlar ve diğerleri teması, yarıya kalmaz keserim bunun biletini ama gördüğünüz gibi kesmeye kalmadan kitabı bitirdim. *Smirking-Face-Emoji*

Konu bildiğimiz bi' Mean Girls olsa da keyifle okunduğunu söyleyebilirim. Gariptir ki altını çizecek cümleler bulabilir ve henüz 47 yaşında değilseniz hayatınıza yön verecek fikirler edinebilirsiniz.

Ben mi? Benim için artık çok geç; 25 yıldır yaşıyorum, 47 yaşındayım geceleri uyumadan evvel Ludovico
Inge
Found it very, very hard to root for this main character. Her actions (and the reasoning behind them) constantly baffled me. Still, Holly Bourne's way of writing feels effortless and it's an enjoyable read.
Mafi
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pt, 2018, na-fila-2018
3,5 estrelas
''Manifesto de como ser interessante'' foi a última leitura de Abril e era um livro que já estava na estante desde 2015. Ele tem 424 páginas mas mais de 300 páginas foram lidas num só dia. Mas a leitura compulsiva não é sinónimo de ter gostado mas também não odiei, apenas achei um livro mediano. Aqui temos Bree, uma rapariga que não é nada popular, nada social, que não se importa com o seu aspecto físico...mas inveja quem o assim é. E portanto decide começar um blog onde irá passo
Saliha
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yazarın vermeye çalıştığı mesajı kitabın tamamından defalarca kez daha çok sevdim. -> "Being interesting isn’t important. But being happy is. As well as being a person you’re proud of.”
Sedef Tekiner
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5'tan 3 veriyorum. O ne boktan, anlamsız bir sondu öyle. Nefret ederim belirsizlikten. Karakterlerin hepsi beş para etmez olmasına rağmen konu 'ilginç' sayılır. ( Bayılırım kelime oyunlarına sjsksjdk)
Sandra
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
Shann
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first read of 2015 could not have been a better choice. After purchasing this back on August, even just the cover has had me so exited to indulge in this read. I didn't realise that the author, Holly Bourne had also written my all time favourite book 'Soulmates' that I read a little over a year ago now and as soon as the connection clicked, I knew I had l read it as soon as possible.
Holly Bourne is such an incredible author and I love that her characters all suffer from serious problems that
Joie de Livre
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this a year ago and my review was long but crappy.I decided that I won't rewrite it because right now I don't have much time but I wanted to state that even though this book was entertaining(and I really enjoy reading about boarding or prep schools)and the writing was good enough though not special the book was just too cliché,it was not special or original,it seemed partly pointless,the characters were mostly there to exist and had no personality,the MC made me shake my head myriads of t ...more
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Jun 11, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
Did not finish at page 112

Maybe I was yet to find the message in this book, maybe it was too critical on teenage life, maybe the main character wasn't at all relateable, maybe I'm not the right age so this hits too close to home. Or maybe this book simply wasn’t for me.
Whatever the case, I won’t be continuing this book, though I hope to read Soulmates in the future.
Ayushi
  • Love Poems
  • The Worst Girlfriend in the World
  • Saving Daisy
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling, award-winni
“Being interesting isn't important. But being happy is. As well as being a person you're proud of” 73 likes
“Life doesn't happen to you. You can't just sit on a park bench and expect amazing things to whizz by on a conveyor belt. Life is what you put into it.” 22 likes