Start by marking “Construction” as Want to Read:
Construction

Construction

Hoist the wood. Hoist the wood. Chain and hook and strap. Swing it round, then lower it down. Thonk! Clonk! Clap! Build the frame. Build the frame. Hammer all day long. Make the stairs and floors and walls. Bing! Bang! Bong!
Published September 1st 2014 by Walker Books Australia

To ask other readers questions about Construction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Construction

Kathryn
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's not really a book that wows me personally, but they enjoyed it and I can appreciate what is presented. It's nice to see the construction of the building as it progresses and I especially like that the building in question is a library! ;-)
Whispering Stories
Join in the exciting adventure of building a new library, with Construction by Sally Sutton.

From digging the ground, to painting the walls, you are with the team for every step of the big build.

Each page is about a different aspect of the build, and is written in a rhyme, with added sounds of the machinery/tools at the end of each sentence. One thing that I noticed myself doing was reading it in the voice of Bert from Mary Poppins, as each sentence starts with the same phrase twice. ‘Build the f
Barbara
Dolly
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their young children
This book was selected as one of the books for the April 2018 - Building and Engineering discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.

The rhyming narrative, the onomatopoeia, and the vibrantly colorful illustrations are sure to please young children. My favorite part, by far is the final product of the construction activity.

The illustrations, created using pigmented inks are cartoonish and filled with action scenes of the workers' activities. I like that t
Lynn
How often do you see the construction process of a LIBRARY??
Lots of yellow with huge black letters repeat short rhyming phrases ending in onomatopoeic words with same pattern on each double page spread.
The end papers show a photograph of hardware nuts - dark and gray, but don't seem to fit with the rest of the book. Includes a few 'Machine Facts' at the end.
I love the invitation at the end to borrow and READ!
Lydia
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lydia loved this book. Another winner for the Construction genre. She liked the onomatopoeias and the intricate drawings. The rhyme scheme was great too. It was a wonderful story about the construction of a library. It's a winner!
Beverly
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbf-general
I liked that this book is a very simple explanation for young children as to how a building is constructed from the ground up. I also liked the fact that it turned out to be a library!
Mama Bibliosoph
Roadwork, Construction, and Demolition are amazing books that will appeal to kids who love construction vehicles and watching, from start to finish, how workers use trucks and machines to transform a site or complete a project. Roadwork shows a new highway being dug, paved, wired, and painted. Construction is the story of a library being built. And in Demolition an old building is taken down so the land can be re-developed into a playground.

Sutton uses a driving, pulsing rhythm and rhyme scheme
Taylor Queen
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Construction” by Sally Sutton, illustrated by Brian Lovelock, is a fun informational book for readers wanting to learn about construction! This book takes you through the process of building an entire structure from start to finish. In the end the result was a great, educational surprise! Some important literary elements were the use of repetition of phrases on each page as well as the same set up making it easy for readers to expect what's to come, and the use of onomatopoeia. The onomatopoeia ...more
Meredith
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Appropriate Grade Level: pre k-3rd

Summary: This books describes construction in a way that young readers can understand. With images of construction machines, the reader is able to learn about what it takes to construct something. It is a very informative text that uses pictures to display its message.

Review: The illustrations in this book are great aids for describing how construction happens. The visuals give the reader a clear scene of what construction is. It is a text that gives a lot of i
Lauren Tortorello
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
This books uses illustrations as well as sound words to show what takes place during construction. The majority of the text rhymes to create the atmosphere that happens on a construction site.

This book contains predictable text patterns that young children love to engage in. They use sound words to describe the work that is taking place on the construction site. The illustrations display how a construction site operates.

Would pair with "Road Work Ahead" by Anastasia Suen.

"Hoist the wood, Hoist
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My son received a set of three of these books for his first birthday and this one is by far his favourite. It's not uncommon for us to finish reading Construction to him and put it away, only for him to immediately bring it back for multiple consecutive re-reads. The rhyming noises keep him interested and the pictures are simple but easy enough for him to identify what's going on - so when the truck appears on one page he goes and retrieves his toy truck and drives it over the page.
Daniel
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
If your child is into construction vehicles, this is a decent book. It was fun to read and the illustrations are quite good. The text rhymes in a simple meter and it is fun to watch as the construction workers make progress on their building. I was actually heartened to see that the building in question was a library unlike some other construction books we've read (high rises, etc.).
Taylor Volker
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Construction machines are seen all the time. This book has rhyming phrases that will teach children all about building a building from digging the area you need to building the build from ground up. Sound words such as thump, slap, slip are all words added to the story to bring it to life. The book adds different views such as top down and bottom to top.
Melissa
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
I’ve read many books about mighty machines and they are not all created equal. But I love this one. It tells the story of construction with lots of sound words (onomatopoeia!) and it starts from the beginning through to the building’s final use. Spoiler alert: it’s a library! I recommend it for your mighty machine loving boys and girls.
Jessika Brokel
This book is about what it takes to build a building and how it happens. This book starts from demolition all the way to when the building is finished. How big machines and workers dig, hoist, and hammer at a building until its done.
Alison
My class really enjoyed this book. The kids are very interested in construction and kept trying to guess what they were making during the story.

This book shows how a library is constructed but the kids won't find out until the end what is being built. This has great onomatopoeia.
Monica
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
The sounds were good, but I had a hard time with the rhythm of this one. I don't think I'd enjoy it for reading aloud.
John
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
The built it up, quickly, quickly. (That's from "Bob the Builder"!)
Erin
A short, snappy, onomatopoeic look at building a new library. Fun to read aloud.
Steven Strothman
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book to teach onomatopoeia. Has fantastic sound words rhyming with traditional words.
Jo Oehrlein
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Through rhymes filled with lots of onomatopeia, we learn about the process of building a large non-residential building (which turns out to be a library!).
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This nicely illustrated book is about the construction of a very special building! Fun rhyme.
Samuel Tyler
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I live near what is currently a pretty massive building site and I don’t think there is anything particularly magical about the noise and mess that a bunch of huge vehicles make, but try telling that to a three year old. The bright yellow colours and obvious power of these machines can spark a child’s imagination. So, a book that evokes all this building and construction is hypnotically powerful to the right child.

As the simple name suggests ‘Construction’ by Sally Sutton is all about the use of
Thehappymeerkat
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a free copy of this book by the publisher Walker Books.

Build the frame. Build the frame. Hammer all the long. Make the stairs and floors and walls. Bing! Bang! Bong!

These words are an example of the text you get inside this book. 'Construction' is a fun book which will appeal to any children who are interested in or fascinated with construction or how things are made. It's a fun book where each page is filled with rhymes similar to the one above. Every double page spread shows one par
Kelly
A book about building a library. Nice rhymes and expressive words.
Emma
Aside from being good general noisy building books, because toddler, the illustrations in this book and its friend Roadworks are spectacular. This really makes them stand out. They're detailed and accurate, which means we can look at what is for real actually being done, down to the plumbing and exposed electrical cables, which helps us when we're out and about looking at real sites, because toddler. As well as that, artistically the illustrations are really satisfying. They are really graphic b ...more
Jess
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spring 2015 - despite loving Roadwork, Ben didn't ask for this one again.

July 2016 - read it on repeat for a while. This time around he gets that they're building a library, and is really insistent that the kids are going to the library to play trains at the end. I like this series - the illustrations are really lovely and realistic compared to a lot of construction/things that go type books, and the crews are always diverse - lots of women (or at least folks with ponytails), which is rare in th
Katie Fitzgerald
I think I like this the best of all the Sutton/Lovelock construction-themed picture books. (The others are Roadwork and Demolition.) I might be slightly biased since I'm a librarian and the workers in the story are building a library, but I like the way that reveal is handled, and the fact that the illustrations make it so easy for kids to understand what each machine does. The rhyming text in this one also seems to work better than in the other two books.
Ellie
Sep 30, 2015 added it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Summary: Construction is a great book for when talking about different careers and jobs with students. This is a book that gets into detail of the different steps of building a building. The outcome of the building is something most students won’t guess!

Activity: This book is great for Pre-schoolers and Kindergarteners when talking about jobs. Have pictures of other equipment cut out and on the board along with places you would use those things. Call students up and have them match the pictures
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Peck, Peck, Peck
  • My Bus
  • Cars Galore
  • Road Work Ahead
  • Nose to Toes, You Are Yummy!
  • Construction Kitties
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • Little Excavator
  • Get Out of My Bath!
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
  • The Unexpected Love Story of Alfred Fiddleduckling
  • Red Truck
Sally Sutton is an Auckland playwright and children’s writer. Her first picture book, "Crazy Kiwi Tops and Tails", was published by Penguin in 2006. "Roadworks" will be her third picture book. She lives in the bush-clad suburb of Birkenhead with her husband and children