Start by marking “Inherit Midnight” as Want to Read:
Inherit Midnight

Inherit Midnight

The Competition

Seventeen-year-old Avery VanDemere's ridiculously wealthy grandmother has decided to leave the family fortune to the relative who proves him or herself worthiest--by solving puzzles and riddles on a whirlwind race around the globe.

The Contenders

For Avery, the contest offers a chance to escape. As the black sheep of the VanDemere clan--the illegitimate daught
Published February 10th 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Start your review of Inherit Midnight
Faye, la Patata
How to describe this book? Basically, if ever Amazing Race and the National Treasure film had a baby, it would be Inherit Midnight. Family secrets, ancestral history dating back to the founding of the New World, a race around the world to see who would inherit the family's moolah... I mean, it's really not hard to find the similarities in pop culture.

The only difference is, I would rather watch Amazing Race and National Treasure over reading this again.

Now, don't get me wrong; this is NOT a bad
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Actual Rating 3.5

Inherit Midnight is not particularly special. What it is is a whole lot of fucking fun. It was so much fucking fun that even though there were SO many little details that bothered me, I kind of forgot about them. Kate knows what she is doing when it comes to getting her readers realllly excited. It’s the first time in a while where instead of reading surrounded by people,  I chose the sanctuary of my own room and didn’t lea
Jessica
Super, duper fun!

A more grown up version of The Westing Game, with heirs competing for a fortune. But in this slick thriller they are traveling around the world, mining for diamonds, digging through the rubble of ruined monasteries, and even dodging bullets. Reminded me a bit of both Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less and the movie National Treasure, as well. This is going to sound weird, but it reminded me a bit of something that would have come out in the 1980's and been made into a TV movie,
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Bloomsbury USA Childrens) via (NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Contemporary, Thriller
*Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

Inherit Midnight is a straight forward story with some mysteries, surprises, and romance. The story reminds me of the Amazing Race TV show, but with backstabbing family members battling for control of the VanDemere empire. The sto
Nicole
Nov 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Find more reviews at

I inherited something from this book, but it wasn't something I loved.
inheritmidnightquote

Okay, so you should know beforehand that the main appeal this book had to me was that it sounded strikingly like a YA version of the 39 Clues series which, as a kid, I absolutely adored. Family secrets, a race around the world--what isn't there to love? As it turns out, a lot.
Not to mention the fact that at times, the similarities between Inherit Midnight and the 39 Clues were unbelievabl
Adele
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’ll be honest and say that I wasn’t sure if I would like this book. The synopsis made it sound like there would be a lot of plot holes. Now that I’ve read Inherit Midnight, I can honestly say I had a lot of fun reading this novel. And that the only note that I wrote down about Inherit Midnight was ' Riley better not fucking betray her in any way OR I WILL KILL HIS ASS!!! '

I quite like the plot of this book. From the moment this book starts, the action just seems to go up from there. Inherit
Heather Brown
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Inherit Midnight is a thrilling read with shades of The Westing Game and And Then There Were None. Avery's grandmother has come to realize that she is not immortal and must find an heir to the family fortune and business. Eight members of the VanDemere family must compete against each other to solve puzzles and riddles relating to VanDemere family history. It all sounds much better to Avery than the horrible boarding school that her grandmother sent her to as punishment for teenage indiscretions ...more
C
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is kind of hilarious. A matriarch grandmother sends all her terrible soulless descendants (except our narrator, who is good and pure) on some global competition for her massive inheritance. So much treachery! Thank god I'm an only child, I found myself thinking. (Jk, I actually found myself thinking: Is it SO hard to care about this book when you know EXACTLY how it is going to end!)

Also, what is up with all the kissing? His fingers brushed my jawline. His fingers brushed my cheek. His
Betty
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the opening sentence, this book hooked me. Avery is pitted against her unfavorable relatives in a contest to see who will be the heir to her grandmother's ample estate. The grandmother set the tasks up to represent the way the fortune was acquired initially, and then to focus in on some of their ancestors' lives. It has a clever plot with action, danger, and a little romance to keep it interesting for the pre-teen and teen set. (Kissing is the whole extent of the relationship.)
I would high
Deniz
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-15
Initial Thoughts:
Kind of a mix of amazing race and revenge plus some extra special good bits thrown in for good measure.
Actions packed, full of family drama and a rather sweet romance.
Virginia
Nov 06, 2021 rated it did not like it
I disliked this author’s first book but was curious about her further efforts, and found this. The main character is branded a black sheep because she’s Illegitimate? Seriously? What is this, 1920? Ew. I can’t imagine giving this kind of judgy slop to a teen. Reading the reviews doesn’t reveal to me any other further social prejudices but you can be sure I won’t be buying this for any young person in my life. Illegitimacy isn’t even a social thing any more, nor should it be. 0 stars.
Roaringwave
3.5/5
This was nothing exceptional. I did enjoy it, but it was extremely predictable, and as a result, boring at parts. This makes me glad that I have a family who at the very least will not stab me in the back and leave me to rot.
ReadWriteLove28
Actually 3.5/5starsThanks Bloomsbury for approving me on net galley!

When I started reading Inherit Midnight, I thought that it was simply okay. It was similar to Ally Carter’s books, yet also had a competitive twist that was original. For some reason, I couldn’t really get into it, and so I put it down for a little bit. In the mean time, I read a couple of other ARC’s (which were all amazing), which lead me to read more ARC’s and…it took me a couple of weeks to return to Inherit Midnight. With t
Julia Nashif
Amazing Race meets YA!

Thank you, Netgalley and Bloomsbury USA, for this free book to review!

SO MUCH AWESOMENESS. It reminds me of the TV show "Amazing Race", where contests run around the world, and the winning team wins a million dollars. Here, though, the prize is a diamond company and much more than a million dollars.

Instead of organizing the race herself, however, the grandmother puts a lot of it in the hands of a law firm. It makes sense, but I'm not sure what they were doing to Avery is le
Gabby
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sent this book from Bloomsbury publishing as an arc, and so I didn't have high eexpectations from it. But I'm so glad I read it!!

The characters were beautifully written and all varied in different ways. Avery, the main character, is so strong and has been through a lot in her life. Although I couldn’t relate to her on a personal level, I still loved her as a character and admired her. And Riley is just an adorable and sweet character that any reader would fall in love with. Avery’s other r
Stacee
1.5 stars.

I really liked the idea of this -- a sort of scavenger hunt slash Amazing Race thing with {what sounded like} action and romance and awesomeness. Sadly, it didn't feel like any of that came through.

I didn't really care for Avery or any of the other characters. She comes across as petulant and whiny. I wasn't even a fan of Riley's. The romance seemed forced and their background story felt contrived.

The family is JUST SO DRAMATIC ABOUT EVERYTHING. There's lots of backstabbing and name
Gerald Heath
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I'd better start with the disclaimer that I know the author, but really, this was a heart-pumping page-turner! I am not much into YA lit, as I prefer the kind of suspense that a David Baldacci or Lee Child can put into adult fiction. However, this thriller about a young girl flung into a dangerous and mysterious contest for a family inheritance definitely exceeded my expectations, and made me wonder if I have underestimated this genre.

I love, and am annoyed by, books that do not give you an
Tati
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a enjoyable read, though it did remind me of The Maze of Bones (The 39 Clues, #1) by Rick Riordan quite a bit.

Avery was a strong heroine, though her grandmother seemed to be a little on the crazy side. Actually, the whole family is a bit crazy.

While there is always a lot of information, it didn't feel to me like there were info dumps.

The ending had a surprising little twist (view spoiler)["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>
Briliantina
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok, erase what i said earlier about this book. This is official: I love this. Very much. Before, I'd kept saying that the love story was kinda boring and predictable. Ok. it was still predictable, but in a sweet way.
And the plot? I love the adventures, the suspense, and the games they played. The book was a combination of ally carter's adventurous novels, amazing race, and sidney sheldon in teenage way. Can you imagine it?
Viridian5
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Inherit Midnight is more YA than I expected. The first-person narration comes from Avery, who's nearly 18, but she sounds younger and whiny, though she gets less annoying when the plot really starts to kick in. Of course there's also a romance, which made me roll my eyes at times. Things resolve a little too easily for my tastes. But the Vandermere Last Standing Heir Challenge can be fun to follow, if unlikely at times. ...more
Katelyn
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first YA books I ever read! I got it at my 5th grade book fair. I haven’t read it in YEARS and obviously didn’t have the widest back catalogue to judge it with but I really enjoyed it. I remember it being very interesting and I hope to read something else from this author eventually. It will always have a special place in my heart!
Melanie
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, yabrc
I loved Inherit Midnight! The story was interesting and grabbed my attention from the first chapter. The ending was also not what you'd expect, which was nice :) A real page turner and I recommend it if you enjoy YA fiction.

*contains minor swearing
Kelly Oliva
This book was just okay. The premise is awesome, but the story leaves something to be desired.

Avery VanDemere should want for nothing as she's the granddaughter of a wealthy business owner with a million-dollar estate. However, Avery can't wait until she's eighteen and can run away from the strict household her grandmother runs. Mrs. VanDemere is practically obsessed with her family history and refuses to allow Avery to do simple teenage things like get a driver's license or invite friends to t
Ridgewood Public Library Youth Services
Inherit Midnight is a thriller that follows seventeen-year-old Avery through a risky competition against her relatives. The objective is to race across the globe, solving riddles and puzzles, to prove which relative is the worthiest for the inheritance of their ridiculously wealthy grandmother. For each family member, winning means becoming rich, but for Avery, it’s the chance to escape.

Each character had a unique personality and each played an important role in the book. Even though Avery is th
Gabriella
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
First book in my book exchange and I had an absolute blast. The story was super interesting and took so many different turns. I loved the whole competition aspect that I fell in love with after reading Throne of Glass. The writing was very simple, but it was very effective when paired with the intense action going on throughout the story.
Kat
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
RATING: 4.25 stars

For fans of Jennifer Lynn Barnes, I definitely recommend this one. I do wish at times the plot was more developed, it did feel a bit rushed at times, but I liked the premise of the story line and the characters a lot!
Natalia Block
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This book somewhat resembles the Hunger Games, just without all of the killings. I wish it could have been longer, it was a really good book! I would recommend this to a friend. If I had to say one thing that I didn't like about the book was that I wish the made the final sentences or last few lines longer. If you read the book you would know what I'm talking about. ...more
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Aug 23, 2021 rated it did not like it
thank fuck that's over ...more
Florence Witt
Nov 25, 2022 rated it really liked it
Good YA adult book.
Clean.
Kept my attention.
No gore, no sex. Some romance and kissing.
Jeffrey
Feb 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF Wanted to like it but found it boring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Also Known As (Also Known As, #1)
  • All Fall Down (Embassy Row, #1)
  • Trust Me, I'm Lying (Trust Me, #1)
  • Two Lies and a Spy (Two Lies and a Spy, #1)
  • See How They Run (Embassy Row, #2)
  • The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us, #1)
  • The Long Game (The Fixer, #2)
  • Take the Key and Lock Her Up (Embassy Row, #3)
  • Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2)
  • The Ends of the World (The Conspiracy of Us, #3)
  • The Fixer (The Fixer, #1)
  • All In (The Naturals, #3)
  • Nobody
  • Map of Fates (The Conspiracy of Us, #2)
  • The Disappearance of Sloane Sullivan
  • Bad Blood (The Naturals, #4)
  • You Don't Know My Name (The Black Angel Chronicles #1)
  • The Naturals (The Naturals, #1)
See top shelves…
Kate Kae Myers lives with her family in Boise, Idaho.

News & Interviews

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we tend to read a lot of books. Like, a lot a lot. And every December, as we finish up our...
“I hoped he figured out what my body language said: You're less than nothing to me.” 0 likes