Start by marking “My So-Called Bollywood Life” as Want to Read:
My So-Called Bollywood Life

My So-Called Bollywood Life

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  1,213 Ratings  ·  368 Reviews
Winnie Mehta was never really convinced that Raj was her soulmate, but their love was written in the stars. Literally, a pandit predicted Winnie would find the love of her life before her 18th birthday, and Raj meets all of the qualifications. Which is why Winnie is shocked to return from her summer at film camp to find her boyfriend of three years hooking up with Jenny Di ...more
Published May 15th 2018 by Crown BFYR

To ask other readers questions about My So-Called Bollywood Life, please sign up.
Nisha Sharma MY SO-CALLED BOLLYWOOD LIFE is a standalone, yes! My second YA features characters from this book, but they have completely separate story lines.
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,034 books — 4,941 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
207 books — 1,542 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola
“As much as I love Bollywood damsels in distress, I don’t need saving. I’m my own hero.”

Right now, there’s nothing else I want more than to watch a Bollywood movie and become as obsessed with them as Winnie Mehta is.

Personally, I'm sceptical of prophecies, and the astrologers that tell them, but Winnie isn't. Her whole family has their own ‘‘pandit,’’ who has helped them, in a way, find true love and happiness.

So although this is not part of my culture, and as a reader I certainly questioned t
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was just absolutely adorable. Even as someone who has never watched a Bollywood film in my life, it was super accessible and interesting. And now I want to check out some of the movies referenced in the book!

I really loved the main character, Winnie. She was funny and headstrong, and stood up for her dreams time and time again. I loved her interest in films, especially the parts with film splicing.

This was just good, you guys! I wish more people were talking about it!
Maya ❤
Aug 29, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: contemporary
You had me at "dream sequences featuring Shah Rukh Khan"

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

"You only care about yourself and your stupid movies" (88).

This quote is brought to you by Jenny. Not all heroes wear capes.

Wow, I am kind of blown away by how bad and stupid this book was - because my expectations were so high, and I had been looking forward to this books for months. When I was approved, I was so happy, I immediately downloaded it so I could begin reading... and I didn't get further than 13 pages before I inwardly went, "O
julianna ➹
I NEED TO WATCH BOLLYWOOD FILMS.

full review at my blog because writing out a separate review for goodreads? how about no

Thank you so much to Penguin Teen for sending me a copy of this book for a review!
Nasom
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
Full Review

This book is so corny, it pops (No?) now I am being corny

What I liked
- As a Bollywood fan, I liked some of the Bollywood movie references, especially the ones that I have watched. The referenced movies I haven’t watched act as great recommendations and I would check them out!!

- I loved that the MC kept having dreams about SRK because I love him so much lol.

- I liked the plot of destiny because I believe in destiny and fate.

What I did not like
- Although I was a fan of the Bollyw
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
I’m so bummed that I didn’t like this much. I adored the Bollywood references, the Shah Rukh Khan dream sequences, and the unapologetic use of Hindi in the dialogue. I loved the familial relationships, and Winnie Mehta’s voice was so snarky and distinct!

But... it fell flat for the most part. Winnie’s life is driven by romance, which isn’t a fault (in my opinion, people are motivated by different things and it’s not anyone’s place to finger-point) but EVERY page in the book is saturated with her
Nisha Sharma
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yes, I know I'm rating my own book, but since I put blood, sweat and tears into every word, I think I should be able to give it 5 stars. (admittedly, I'm biased)

Important Stuff

For a limited time (while supplies last!) for readers who purchase copies of my book from:
Hooray! for Books in Alexandria, VA
Barnes & Noble Arena Hub Plaza, Wilkes Barre, PA
Barnes & Noble Bri
Stacee
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the exact sort of fluff I was looking for.

I really liked Winnie. I loved how devoted to her family she was, how passionate she was about film, and how she went back and forth between wanting to follow the prophecy. Her BFF Bridget was adorable and I loved everything about Dev.

Plot wise, it was good. There is a little bit of push and pull, but for the most part, Winnie knows what she wants and doesn’t waiver. Her family was fantastic and the entire story is a great mix of old world cul
Rincey
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poc-author
Is this book super over the top and cheesy and predictable? Yes.

Was this book a bright spot during my otherwise tough week? Also yes.

Watch my brief discussion in my June wrap up: https://youtu.be/z-mkTQwXlQE?t=7m37s
Prabh⚔
Jul 18, 2017 marked it as to-read
great,,,, give me all the books with Indian rep if this is like When Dimple Met Rishi imma cry

*whispers* but... wHEN ARE WE GETTING A YA BOOK SET IN INDIA???

no offense but I'm bored of you, America
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Contemporary books with mixed-race MCs tend to be a hit-or-miss for me, so I was scared that my anticipation (and I mean extreme anticipation) for this book might go to waste--I mean, pretty much everyone has been loving this book, but I'm often one of the black sheep.

BUT!!! My So-Called Bollywood Life was absolutely the read I needed to lift my mood! It was super cute, and it'll be the perfect summer read for all of you who haven't read it yet. I promise.You can hit me with a bat if you don't e
Aishah Q.
Jan 03, 2017 added it
Shelves: to-read-2018
Did you say..."dream sequence with Shah Rukh Khan?" I'm SOLD
Taniksha
Apr 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
Bollywood??? Then it's obvious there's gonna be lot of Draaaammaaaa. But please don't disappoint me.
Angelica
As much as I love Bollywood damsels in distress, I don't need saving. I'm my own hero."

I loved the characters in this book! With the minor exception of the first like two or chapters where I had a problem with Winnie, but more on that later.

After that though, Winnie did grow on me. She was funny and headstrong and likable. She was passionate and sweet and I loved her relationship with her friends and family.

My favorite part about this new wave of own voices books that have been coming out is s
Samantha (WLABB)
This book made me so happy!!! ❤❤❤❤❤

DISCLAIMER: The closest I have come to watching a Bollywood film was Bride & Prejudice, which is a Bollywood style adaptation of Pride & Prejudice (and quite wonderful, if I do say so myself). However, I do not believe one must be well versed in Bollywood films to enjoy this book, and I think it may inspire you to check a few out.

• Pro: Winnie was wonderful! How I could I not love a girl, who was so fierce and feisty, that she stole back her DVDs and he
Girl Online
May 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
Hahahahaha Bollywood? I. Expect. Drama.
Tova
*SCREAMS IN BOLLYWOOD* HOLY BABY SHAH RUKH KHAN! I HAVE NEVER FELT MORE VALIDATED AS A BOLLYWOOD STAN. You can read my full blog review (with lot of gifs) here!/a>
Kav (xreadingsolacex)
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. This is no way impacted my review.

My So-Called Bollywood Life is a young-adult rom-com about Vaneeta Mehta, better known as Winnie Mehta, a soon-to-be film critic and lover of Bollywood movies who lost her soul-mate, Raj, and now has to navigate her feelings for Raj Shah and a new face, Dev Khanna.

My So-Called Bollywood Life is a solid debut novel--it is without a doubt well-written and I really appreciated the writing
nick

As a brown girl, I can't tell you just how much it pleases me to read books about brown girls falling in love and being all happy. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon last year made me realize just how much I want stories about brown girls and their love stories. When I found out about My So-Called Bollywood Life, I didn't even bother reading the summary. What a charming and lovely story this was! If you like romantic comedies, this book is perfect for you.

My So-Called Bollywood Life tells th
Aila
“‘As much as I love Bollywood damsels in distress, I don’t need saving. I’m my own hero.’”

OH. MY. GOD. This book was absolutely STUNNING. Let me give you five reasons on why I’m rating this book five stars:

Preface: I know for a fact that some readers are going to say “This book had too much drama” or “This book was predictable” or “These characters were immature” or along those lines. The drama part is true, so come into the book with that expectation in mind. My main point is that this is a t
Lisa
Jan 17, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2017, arc
I think the characters and idea of the book are super charming and fun! I personally struggled with some of the basic points: “cheating” while on a break and a prophecy.

The first feels very flimsy, and put in for added drama. The second just reads as cheesy outside a fantasy setting. These elements distracted me enough that they took away from the story.

I honestly think other readers may be able to look past what didn’t work for me.
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
My So-Called Bollywood Life was an adorable contemporary romance that filled my heart with so much joy. This charming romance story was full of humor, swoons, drama, and strong relationships.

Winnie, the main character, was a precious and lovable girl. I adored and related to her love of romance. She was a girl who just wanted a romance that swept her off her feet like the ones she sees in Bollywood movies! Her desire to find her soul mate constantly put a smile on my face due to just how adorab
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
I WANNA WATCH ALL THE BOLLYWOOD MOVIES NOW. ALSO DEV <3333
Riddhi (desiderium.)
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wait.What?Bollywood?Dream sequences with Shah Rukh Khan?Full on drama?
Is this going to be "I Hate Love Stories" meets "Jab We Met"?
I am so hyped for this.

*plays Bollywood music.*

*realises 2018 is still far away.*

*faints*
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs

This was so much fun!

I love reading diverse contemporaries, but the only problem is that when I read one, I want to read more like it! So being able to read Maurene Goo's The Way You Make Me Feel and then My So-Called Bollywood Life right after was such a pleasant experience because I got all the feels.

And although diverse romcom contemporaries all have the same vein of fluffy romance + other life problems going on, each is a little different. Although people have compared this to When
Kate Olson
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very cute YA romance with a unique premise. I definitely think that if I had ANY knowledge whatsoever of Bollywood films I would have appreciated this so much more ~ and that is 100% MY fault, not the book's!
Amy Leigh
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute!! Its definitely a romcom/contemporary with all the fluff but I loved every minute of it! Winnie has such a fun personality and I love all the Bollywood movie references and synopsis of Bollywood movies at the beginning of each chapter and their foreshadowing. Winnie constantly questioning her family's astrologer to the extent of video calling him was hilarious & realistic. Their exchanges! One of my favorite parts is her dreams with Shah Rukh Khan acting as her spiritual gu ...more
Kelly
A cute, sometimes over-the-top, read about a girl following the prophecy given to her by the family psychic. She believes a boy whose name begins with an R and who gives her a silver bracelet is meant to be her love. And with Raj, it felt right....until she found out he was seeing another girl. Now she's found another boy to enjoy her time with named Dev. But, is he the one she's really meant to be with?

Some of the characters in the story are fairly one-dimensional (particularly Jenny, who I th
Sahitya
May 8th, 2018 - Updated Review

I had to restrain myself from bursting into giggles every ten seconds. This book is hilarious throughout, with lots of cheese and OTT melodrama like a typical KJo movie and I loved every single word.

Winnie is a hard-core movie buff with a Hindi movie review blog, who wants to do Film Studies at NYU Tisch and pursue a career as a film critic. She (alongwith her parents) also believe in a prediction made by a Panditji in her childhood about meeting her soulmate whose
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
  • Little & Lion
  • In a Perfect World
  • Just Friends
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • The Gallery of Unfinished Girls
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • To Catch a Killer (Erin Blake #1)
  • American Street
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • The Hidden Memory of Objects
  • Ramona Blue
Nisha Sharma grew up on Bollywood movies, eighties classics, and romance novels, so it comes as no surprise that her first novel My So-Called Bollywood Life (Crown 2018) , features all three.

Nisha credits her father for her multiple graduate degrees, and her mother for her love of Shah Rukh Khan and Jane Austen. She lives in Pennsylvania with her cat Lizzie Bennett and her dog Nancey Drew. You ca
“Winnie, when I first saw you, the giant lens that I've had on my future came into focus. It was like everything was blurry before, and then when you arrived, it was crystal clear.” 1 likes
“Destiny needs to be believed in for it to come true.” 0 likes