Start by marking “Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales” as Want to Read:
Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales

Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales (Children's Circle Stories #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  3,133 Ratings  ·  519 Reviews
This never-before-published collection of fourteen funny and inventive tales by acclaimed author Sir Terry Pratchett features a memorable cast of inept wizards, sensible heroes, and unusually adventuresome tortoises.   Including more than one hundred black-and-white illustrations, the appealingly designed book celebrates Pratchett’s inimitable wordplay and irreverent appro ...more
Published February 3rd 2015 by Clarion Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons at Crumbling Castle, please sign up.
Dane Wagner It totally is. From drawings to simplicity of the stories it is perfect for children getting into reading. The catch is that there is a fair amount of…moreIt totally is. From drawings to simplicity of the stories it is perfect for children getting into reading. The catch is that there is a fair amount of wordplay in the stories and I think it was fun to read as an adult as well. As John Bullock mentioned: It's amazing as a bed time story book.(less)

Bookdragon Sean
I’ve somewhat neglected Terry Pratchett over the last few years. I read a few of his books in the Discworld series when I was very young and I didn’t really like them. So I’m yet to pick up another book from there (despite owning several) any time soon.

Instead I’ve been very selective about the material I read of his. I read Nation and was really rather impressed with its balance of humour and postcolonial themes. This year I read The Long Earth and I was swept away with the sheer scope of its
Наталия Янева
Събота следобед. Навън е толкова горещо, че мозъкът ми работи на половин оборот. Седя си в старото кресло и усещам как по раменете ми се появява едно неопределено гъделичкане. Впоследствие се оказа, че това са наченките на първото в живота ми слънчево изгаряне. (Каякът по Камчия наистина не се оказа лоша идея. Неизползването на слънцезащитен крем обаче не беше от най-хитрите ми изпълнения). Кротко си разговарям с Тери Пратчет в аквариумно мудния следобед. На фон тихичко ми звучат Depeche Mode и ...more
Althea Ann
When Terry Pratchett was a young man, he worked at a newspaper. These short and humorous stories were published in that paper, the 'Bucks Free Press' as part of their 'Children's Circle' page. They're a wonderful glimpse into the early development of a writer - but they're also wholly enjoyable on their own merits.

Dragons at Crumbling Castle: The title story is a charming and punny, if not altogether unfamiliar-feeling, tale of a quest to slay some dragons who turn out to be more congenial than
Sarah Tipper
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should start this review by saying I’ve been a big Pratchett fan for over half my lifetime. He could publish a book of his shopping lists, or of all the occasions when he’s got up in the middle of the night to go to the loo, or of the noises he’s heard people making while getting up out of chairs and I’d buy it in hardback on the day it came out and be excited about it.
So, this is a children’s book and I am forty (luckily I’m a very young forty, I’ve lived a very virtuous lifestyle). Was it s
Joey Woolfardis
A collection of short stories that Sir Terry Pratchett wrote for a child-friendly audience whilst he was a young journalist on a local newspaper. Collected here, along with some wonderful illustrations by the Dahl-drawer, Quentin Blake, are (I assume) a book of fourteen the best ones.

It's a mixed collection (topically) but the general outlook is the same: very Pratchett-esque fantasy stories that use real-world events or situations and plonk them straight in the middle of a fantasy world. There
Mangrii
3,75 / 5

En esta ocasión se trata de una inédita colección de catorce cuentos de tono más infantil que reúne a una gran cantidad de personajes altamente disparatados; como tortugas aventureras, héroes sensibles, gente minúscula, cavernícolas inventores o un papa Noel en busca de empleo, en una serie de aventuras alocadas que representan una excelente forma de introducir a jóvenes lectores en el universo de Terry Pratchett, aunque los adultos también podemos saborear los inicios del amado hombre d
Chris
This was a fun little collection of early Pratchett stories for kids all ages. They were told as if they were children's tales, but there is always an undercurrent of humor that's a treat to adults. Kinda like his later work in that respect.

This book was chosen as a March 2015 book selection in a Good Reads group that I'm in, Flights of Fantasy. Little did we know when we nominated it and voted it in, that it would appear on our group shelf in the very month that Sir Pratchett passed away.

That'
Crispitina30
Para cualquier fan de Terry Pratchett, vale la pena leerlo. Se nota muchísimo que aún estaba desarrollando su estilo y que aún le quedaba mucho por aprender, y siempre es bonito ver el progreso de un autor.

Mis cuentos favoritos han sido A la caza del ronquero, Hércules la Tortuga, Dok el Cavernícola y Otro relato del Pueblo de la Alfombra.
MrsJoseph
4.5 Stars

Dragons at Crumbling Castle is an adorable selection of short stories and illustrations. This title is a book club pick - it's a bit younger than I normally care to read - and I'm pretty happy I was introduced to this novel via my book club.

There are quite a few short stories in Dragons at Crumbling Castle and each of the stories are full of adorable illustrations and wonderfully fun font choices. My favorite stories in the book are:

Tales of the
Ümit Mutlu
Kapakta, Pratchett'ın adının hemen yanında, "olağanüstü komik" yazıyor; ve bu, gördüğüm en haklı sloganlardan biri -hem Terry hem de bu kitap için.

Terry Pratchett'ın aşırı erken dönem hikâyelerinden oluşan bu fantastik absürt ve komik kitap, hakikaten de süper eğlenceli. Ayrıca Diskdünya'nın temel fikirlerini görmek ya da PKDick'e uzanan esinlenmeleri fark etmek çok güzel. Dilcambazlığı ise, daha o dönemlerden göstermiş kendini.

"Biliyor muydunuz, dünyada 7,777,777,777,777 fıkra olduğunu ve hepsi
Kaethe
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm quite fond of Pratchett's writing for younger readers, so even though these stories aren't as well crafted as his more mature writing, they definitely contain the same sort of sensibility and humor as the rest of his work.

Library copy
Eric
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I ordered this and had been meaning to read it to my kids at bedtime, but hadn't found the time. When Terry Pratchett passed away, I promised myself I would do it that night as a little tribute to him, and I went home and did. Unfortunately, life is not a fairy tale, and my kids were not interested at all, and so I finished reading the title story to myself while my kids jumped frantically around me. It was still a strangely cathartic experience. In another year or two I'll give this book anothe ...more
Amina
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pure delight! Especially the carpet people one
This is some of Terry's early work, he was a teenager then. This is my first Prachett's reading, but I guess the writer got so much better with time. Anyway, I Ioved and enjoyed every story, lots of humor, wit, sarcasm and themes, just awesome!
Roviragrao
Aunque no soy el público objetivo de estos cuentos infantiles he disfrutado su lectura. También me ha gustado mucho la edición, por las ilustraciones y los juegos con la tipografía, muy acertados.
Erik Fazekas
Toto bola mojá prvá Pratchettovka (ja viem, hanba my!) a veeeľmi sa mi páčila!
Ujo Prachett má neskutočnú fantáziu a ak sú aj ostatné jeho knihy takto šialené, tak asi o strašne veľa prichádzam. Asi idem pekne pomaly pokračovať ďalej a zisťovať o čo som sa pripravil.

Btw. táto kniha, resp zbierka krátkych príbehov, mi pripadala ako taká učebnica dejepisu, vlastivedy, a nejakých prírodných vied... že ako deckám vtipným príbehom úplne podprahovo niečo vysvetliť. Veľmi som sa bavil!
Melissa
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I really enjoyed this short stories collection that Terry Pratchett originally wrote as a young man for his newspaper. On audiobook...they are the perfect length for running errands, or working on the yard. Light, short, fun, silly short stories! They'd make great little bedtime stories for children as well.
Trish
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now remember friends, 3 stars means "I liked it", it's not a bad review!

I'd like to begin by saying that I'm what society would call "a fan" of Terry Pratchetts.
The word "fan" usually instills this feeling of 333 tarantulas walking up and down my body about to sting me because when I hear the word "fan" I either picture the electronic device stirring the air or I picture a lunatic without a shirt and the words "I want a baby with you" written with Edding across her breasts.
*shivers*

Not that kin
Abel
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los relatos de este volumen distan mucho de ser perfectos. De hecho, el propio Terry Pratchett reconoce en el prólogo que no sabía demasiado bien lo que estaba haciendo en aquella época, y que los relatos forman parte del proceso de aprendizaje que le llevó a escribir 'The carpet people' allá por 1971.

Dicho esto, este libro ha supuesto para mí toda una bocanada de aire fresco. Pratchett hace gala de una absoluta falta de vergüenza en estos relatos. De una ligereza que me ha venido muy bien despu
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
I collection of cute short stories from Pterry's journalist days. (As a side note, I may have teared up a bit reading the intro... *sniffs*)

Anyway -

There are some gem lines and Pratchettisms hidden throughout, but, mostly, the stories are just "cute" and definitely aimed at the younger set. Some do have really nice messages and lessons and whatnot, to boot.

That said, my favorites were "Dragons at Crumbling Castle" and "Dok the Caveman" were my faves. Next would be "The Great Speck" and "Another
Fantasymundo
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La lectura de este libro es muy divertida, no solo por las historias que se relatan en el libro, sino también por las ilustraciones que lo acompañan, realizadas por Mark Beech. Todos estos relatos tienen lugar en Inglaterra, de donde era originario el autor, y podemos considerarlo una especie de punto en común de los relatos, al igual que Seguir leyendo
Florin Pitea
It was interesting to read a collection of stories written by Sir Terry Pratchett back in his teens and twenties.
Kristina
Нещо не се разбрахме с този сборник.
Dec 25, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Peter Taylor
Dad & I have been fans of the Discworld books for years but I’ve not read many of TP’s children’s books so this should be fun
Maxine
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragons at Crumbling Castle is a collection of 14 tales for children by Terry Pratchett but, trust me, you don’t need to be a child to appreciate them – all you need is a sense of humour and whimsy and perhaps a little private space so that people won’t stare at you funny when you read them on the bus (trust me, it’s embarrassing).

Although these tales were written early in Pratchett’s career, they are just as funny as his Discworld books. As I read them I kept thinking I wish I had a small chil
Paul
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
This is a collection of some of the late great Sir Terry's earliest work, originally written in the late 1960's and early 1970's that has been repackaged and delightfully illustrated by the artist Mark Beech.

There are some amusing tales in here, and these are some of the first stories of the tiny people that became the Carpet People later on. It is a book primarily written for children, but hey, it's Terry Pratchett. The stories are not complicated, but you do get a feeling for the way his mind
Neil
This is a lovely collection of short stories. Although aimed at the younger reader I found the whole book quite enjoyable. It is not as Pratchetty as the Discworld books, it feels more like Sir Terry meets Roald Dahl and after putting their heads together came up with this. There are definitely some Pratchett gems peppered throughout these stories though. There are some nice illustrations to help the younger reader'd imagination along. I can see that I will try to use this book to introduce the ...more
Diamond
I read the first two stories. Unfortunately the book archived before I could finish! I am very bummed about that. I did enjoy what I read though, and do plan to finish it someday. I'd defiantly buy it for myself or a friend. I loved the first two stories. They were cute and short and sweet and had all the excellent Pratchett humor.

-I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review-
Zaz
This collection had a good variety in the stories, but felt a little short on the way they were handled. I found few of them really entertaining or interesting, had some difficulties to not space out while reading and was often disappointed by the outcomes. Several stories were also built on the same narrative road, with a journey and random events happening along the way, so after some time, the read seemed repetitive. Anyway, as a Pratchett's work, there was plenty of imagination, some crazy i ...more
Femibooktus
Pequeños relatos de un jovenzano Terry Pratchett en los que ya se le percibía ese humor tan característico suyo.
Me he enmorado de las ilustraciones de Mark Beech, tan expresivas y sencillas... son adorables, me recordaban mucho a ls de Quentin Blake, el ilustrador de Matilda.
En cuanto a los relatos, los hay con mucha chispa y otros más flojetes... mis favoritos: Los dragones del castillo ruinoso, Dok el cavernícola, Otro relato del pueblo de la Alfombra (es curioso, pero el primer relato no me c
Arturo
Ha sido un compendio de relatos bastante equilibrado que demuestra que Pratchett tenía talento imaginando historias en mundos fantásticos con su correspondiente dosis de humor. Entre mis tres relatos favoritos está el que da nombre al libro, la tortuga Hércules y El gran campeonato de baile entre huevos, pero todos merecen la pena.

• The Fir Tree
  • The Dandelion's Tale
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • Mago por casualidad (Por Casualidad, #1)
  • Monsters! and Other Stories
  • Waking Dragons
  • Princeless #1
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • Snake Attack! (LEGO Ninjago Chapter Book #5)
  • Haunted House, Haunted Mouse
  • The Frozen Menace (Dragonbreath, #11)
  • The Goblin's Puzzle: The Adventures of a Boy With No Name and Two Girls Called Alice
  • Mouse Guard: Baldwin the Brave and Other Tales
  • Babushka Baba Yaga
  • The Dragons are Singing Tonight
  • The Pig of Happiness

More about Terry Pratchett

Children's Circle Stories (2 books)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner: And Other Stories

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“His-his-history!’ he cried. ‘I declare the Stone Age at an end. History will start from tomorrow!” 2 likes
“И най-малкият, вместо да е мил, добър и храбър, бил по-гаден и от някой, когото сигурно ще срещнеш само в месец, състоящ се изцяло от понеделници…” 1 likes