Start by marking “Homeschooling 101: A Guide to Getting Started.” as Want to Read:
Homeschooling 101: A Guide to Getting Started.

Homeschooling 101: A Guide to Getting Started.

So you've decided to homeschool but don't know where to start? Don't worry, Homeschooling 101 offers you a step by step practical guide that will help you get started and continue on in your homeschooling journey. Erica will walk you through all of the aspects of getting started, choosing and gathering curriculum, creating effective lesson plans, scheduling your day, organ ...more
Published April 21st 2013 by Erica Made Designs, LLC (first published April 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Homeschooling 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeschooling 101

Start your review of Homeschooling 101: A Guide to Getting Started.
Karina
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very helpful book I've had to guide me on my homeschooling journey. I'm not as organized (I'm more laid back but need things accomplished by the end of the day) as Erica but I took what I could get for myself out of her guidance. She had great suggestions and broke many things down. She included curriculums and websites. Very good book for anyone starting homeschooling. I'm on my 5th year with my eldest and starting with second kid with a very different personality. God give me patience.... ...more
Amy
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
I readily admit. I read this book in about a couple of hours. However, it was engaging. My goodness. There are so many great resources and advice available in this book. I regularly take a gander at Erica's website "Confessions of a Homeschooler" and drool. Simply drool. This woman is the gold standard of homeschooling. I love it! I have clicked on her meal plans, panted over her homeschool room, and just dreamed and dreamed of those delightful little things she calls "workboxes".
I totally love
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
This book was pretty much useless-any advice or tips were so common sense based that I kept flipping pages wondering, "Is this seriously a book?" (I got the paperback from the library). It was written on about a 4th grade reading level, and it is only going to appeal to uber-Christian homeschoolers because there's a LOT of Bible beating included. Just say no to this one. There has to be better guides out there. I will find them. Blech. ...more
Sharon
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Nice overview of basics for a potential homeschooler. Very religiously based philosophy.
Charleigh Wolfe
I appreciated many of the insights from this veteran homeschooler and found some of her organizational stuff to be particularly helpful. However, as a former English teacher, I was frequently frustrated by the grammatical errors nearly every time she used the word "however," not to mention complete lack of editing regarding her comma usage. ...more
Hawley
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very practical how-to guide... but also VERY very basic. Helpful, but just check it out from the library. Not worth owning ;) Just a super light and easy simple starter.
Emily
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the first DNFs I've had in a long time. This book seemed so promising, and I suppose if you were totally, 100% new to homeschooling (never considered it or thought about it at all) this would be helpful. As others have stated though, everything in this book seems like common sense and information people should already know. It seems like a waste of space. At this point in the planning process (I'm doing kindergarten with my daughter) we need something much "meatier."
One thing that
Thomasin Propson
A very basic intro to what it may take to take the plunge and begin to homeschool. I can see some of the step-by-step ideas to be helpful to some. VERY heavy on Christianity as the reason to and answer for choosing this way of life (one of the suggestions on how to afford to drop to a 1 income home was to pray). I lean toward unschooling, so all the curriculum researching and organizing and storing that the author finds essential feels... not as essential to me?
Douglas E Hoskins Jr
I picked up the book because my youngest child of three asked about homeschooling. I needed to figure out if it was possible while I provided in-home therapeutic foster care. For me, this book was a good starting place. It referred to a variety of online resources, such as cooking websites that I looked at and sign up for. The book is a quick and easy read, but I took a slower pace. I like hearing about others experiences, which this author shared.
Nicole
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
As a hopeful future homeschool mom, this book was amazingly practical and helpful! It gave me so many great tips and ideas! The only thing, for me specifically, was I wish the chapter on homeschooling special needs was longer but also thankful for the resources and links that were included! I feel like I got this!
Shelly Kittell
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource. We will be homeschooling Jacob this fall so just refreshing my knowledge. I did homeschool Cheril in 2nd grade but that was back when we lived in caves. :) The information is basic, and in general terms. It's fairly easy to understand. All it basically leaves you to find is the law specific to your state.

I look forward to this challenge.
Cami
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good quick read. It's very thorough, though much of it seems intuitive. I appreciate some of the lists like her curriculum ideas and website sources. I looked up her website and will refer to it for future ideas. ...more
Michael Johnson
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
This is a great starter for anyone researching how to begin homeschooling. It leads to many great Christian based resources as well. Highly recommended!
Stacy Dickens
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth reading if you are planning to homeschool. She definitely very organized and plans out really well.
C.G.Koens
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mothers, teachers, home school researchers
Shelves: 2016-book-list
As a homeschool graduate during the "dark ages" of homeschooling, I am no stranger to the value of educating at home, or the most commonly asked question, "What about socialization?" - but what I am unsure of 17 years after graduation is how to switch from homeschool alumni to the parent who is in charge of homeschooling. And that's where Erica's book comes into play.

When my mother was researching homeschooling, her go to was Mary Pride. Over 30 years later, it's Erica Arndt - practical, encour
Wonderish
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, easy read packed with information and resources. I wish I had read this last year before I started homeschooling, but I think it will help to improve the experience for us next year.
The writer quotes the Bible heavily and talks a lot about god if that sort if thing bothers you. I skipped over those bits without detracting at all from the practical advice.
The author has a YouTube channel and a blog with a ton of resources as well. Recommended.
Kristen
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I wish I would've read this before I started homeschooling! I would have felt more confident, but early in my second year I can appreciate tips on curriculum selection, organization, and time management. Often people ask me when to get started and I'll just recommend this book in the future! ...more
Sandie
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still pretty new to homeschooling and found this book to have a lot of helpful and more up to date information then many others I have read or glanced through.
Melissa
Feb 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book recommendations that don't make this atheist homeschooler feel like a mythical creature plz ...more
Carol
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good first steps and packed full of advice and resources. I'm still scared to death to do this. ...more
Courtney
Jun 21, 2015
Amanda Newell
Jan 14, 2015
Christy Comstock
rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Faeez
rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2018
Jody Todd
Jan 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool, Learning, and Life
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • The Ministry of Healing
  • How to Debt-Proof Your Marriage
  • The Great Controversy
  • Ellen G White Study Bible with Spirit of Prophecy Comments KJV (Ellen White)
  • Child Guidance (Christian Home Library)(Counsels To Seventh Day Adventist Parents)
  • The Adventist Home: Counsels To Seventh Day Adventist Families (Christian Home Library)
  • A Thousand Shall Fall: The Electrifying Story of a Soldier and His Family Who Dared to Practice Their Faith in Hitler's Germany
  • Great Controversy: Between Christ and Satan
  • Last Day Events: Facing Earth's Final Crisis
  • Steps to Christ
  • The Desire of Ages (Conflict of the Ages Series)
  • The Unhurried Homeschooler: A Simple, Mercifully Short Book on Homeschooling
  • The Call of the Wild and Free: Reclaiming Wonder in Your Child's Education
  • Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace
  • 2001 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
  • The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids

News & Interviews