Jump to ratings and reviews

The Field Party #1

Until Friday Night

To everyone who knows him, West Ashby has always been that guy: the cocky, popular, way-too-handsome-for-his-own-good football god who led Lawton High to the state championships. But while West may be Big Man on Campus on the outside, on the inside he’s battling the grief that comes with watching his father slowly die of cancer.

Two years ago, Maggie Carleton’s life fell apart when her father murdered her mother. And after she told the police what happened, she stopped speaking and hasn’t spoken since. Even the move to Lawton, Alabama, couldn’t draw Maggie back out. So she stayed quiet, keeping her sorrow and her fractured heart hidden away.

As West’s pain becomes too much to handle, he knows he needs to talk to someone about his father—so in the dark shadows of a post-game party, he opens up to the one girl who he knows won’t tell anyone else.

West expected that talking about his dad would bring some relief, or at least a flood of emotions he couldn’t control. But he never expected the quiet new girl to reply, to reveal a pain even deeper than his own—or for them to form a connection so strong that he couldn’t ever let her go…

336 pages, ebook

First published August 25, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Abbi Glines

91 books85.4k followers
Abbi Glines is a #1 New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of the Rosemary Beach, Sea Breeze, Vincent Boys, Field Party and Existence series. She never cooks unless baking during the Christmas holiday counts. She believes in ghosts and has a habit of asking people if their house is haunted before she goes in it. She drinks afternoon tea because she wants to be British but alas she was born in Alabama. When asked how many books she has written she has to stop and count on her fingers. When she’s not locked away writing, she is reading, shopping (major shoe and purse addiction), sneaking off to the movies alone, and listening to the drama in her teenagers lives while making mental notes on the good stuff to use later. Don’t judge.

You can connect with Abbi online in several different ways. She uses social media to procrastinate.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4,140 (7%)
1 star
1,616 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 5,211 reviews
Profile Image for Geri Reads.
1,232 reviews2,023 followers
November 3, 2017
2 stars!

So this is pretty much standard Abbi Glines. When I read the author's announcement on her website saying that this series would be like The Vincent Boys, I knew I wanted to read it. The Vincent Boys was the series that got me started on Abbi's books and I have a soft spot for it.

Until Friday Night follows the story of Maggie. She's the new girl in Lawton High. Her past was tragic and because of this, she doesn't speak to anyone. West Ashby is your typical high school jock. In a town where football is religion, West enjoys the adulation of the town. But he also has issues. His father is slowly dying of cancer and he's helpless against it. I liked how the dynamics of their pasts was handled in this book. Maggie doesn't speak as a way of surviving what happened to her. She saw what no one else saw in West. He was hurting and carrying a burden of his own and they bonded over their grief.

But their bond grew from friendship into something more despite Brady's, (Maggie's cousin and West best friend) warning to leave Maggie alone. West's relationship with his dying father and his bond with his mother was gut-wrenching to read. I also liked how co-dependency was called out in this book. West's feelings for Maggie bordered on obsessive. She became his crutch and it made their relationship complicated.

But like I said, this was typical Abbi Glines book. Handsome popular jock with issues meets the most beautiful and the most innocent girl with even bigger issues. Every guy is almost in love with the heroine and marvel at how good and innocent and pure she is while every other girl who isn't her is trash or a whore and so not worthy to be in the same room with the sainted heroine.

I was prepared for this book to have some form of slut-shaming as is the norm with this author's books but I was unprepared at how prevalent and how oppressive it is. It's been a while since I've read an AG book so maybe that's why it surprised me. But I legit shuddered at how abhorrently portrayed the other girls (i.e. not the heroine) were in this book. Everyone, and I mean everyone who isn't Maggie was a slut and a whore if they were pretty. But they weren't pretty, then they just serve to highlight how truly exceptionally beautiful the heroine is.

Also, all of the girls in this book are jealous of Maggie because duh, she's so goddamn beautiful and sweet every guy in the school is in love/lust with her. It's quite telling how Maggie didn't have one single female friend in the book. They are either jealous of her or like in the case of Maggie's ex-best friend, stole her boyfriend away from Maggie.

The hero of course thinks she's so different from the other girls and so pure. And because West doesn't want to "taint" Maggie, he consoled himself by sleeping with those other girls, and he treated them horribly. One time, he felt remorse. I was ready to finally cheer him on because finally, epiphany...then he thinks this...

I didn't want to be reminded how low I had sunk. If Maggie knew I used girls like this, she'd be disgusted with me.

WHAAAA?? Hold up, hold up! He felt bad for treating these girls but not because these girls are human beings worthy of respect but because of what Maggie might think of him?? Uhnn-nuuhhh. Every single guy in the football team treated other girls horribly except of course Maggie because she's just so goddamn innocent and pure and a speshul snowflake. *roll eyes forever*

Those issues were enough to tip my rating scale from an enjoyable 3 stars into 2 stars. I get it. This is YA and these characters are still learning but does everyone really have to be horrible and misogynistic, slut-shaming assholes throughout the whole book? *sigh

Overall, Until Friday Night is frighteningly readable but littered with overused tropes that has become a trademark for this author. Her fans will certainly find this a worthwhile read, even with the lack of steam, simply because that's what they're looking for or expected in her books. But for other readers who might be looking for something different or new, don't bother as you won't find anything new in this book.

ARC provided by Simon Pulse via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for jessica.
2,477 reviews29.7k followers
January 22, 2022
i understand why so many readers dont like this book. its basically a walking cliché filled with every stereotype imaginable. but i still really enjoyed it.

im such a sucker for stories about two people who are going through trauma and find the strength to heal together. i wouldnt call west and maggies story realistic exactly, but i did feel empathy for them and enjoyed how they helped each other grow.

so for a high school romance, this is pretty sweet with some good messages and ticks most of the boxes for me.

4 stars
758 reviews2,358 followers
July 4, 2019
THIS BOOK WAS SO SHIT LMFAOOO I'm laughing. It was a mess, but I enjoyed every second. That means I'm a mess too.

I'm not lying when I say this book was utter shit, but somehow I binged this book and couldn't put it down despite how problematic it was. It was just so... entertaining and I really don't understand why I liked it so much omg.

This book is about West Ashby, whose father is dying of cancer. He's popular, soooo hot that every single girl wants to suck his dick omg 😍, and he's a legendary football player in high school. However, he doesn't tell anyone about his fathers cancer because he doesn't want the attention and questions, so he stays quiet and acts like the god of assholes.

Then comes along Maggie, who has her own trauma to deal with. She witnessed her abusive father murder her mother at a young age and after witnessing something like that she has never opened her mouth. She has never spoken again, up until West Ashby. From there, they confide in each other about their trauma and what they're going to because apparently no other person in the entire universe would understand.

First of all... I wanted to punch West in the face. He's such a stereotypical NA male... and it's not cute. I get that some people act out differently when they're going through tough times, but the way in which West was portrayed as an asshole was just not it. It was cringey and gross. He uses girls for sex and it's a gross attitude. He treats Maggie like utter shit in the beginning thinking it's best she "stays away from him."

LMAO BOY WHAT IS SO DANGEROUS ABOUT YOUR BITCH ASS???? He's a piece of shit and every time he went all "i'm being an asshole so she stays away" I??? wanted to fucking punch him. What are you trying to protect her from??? Also, it was just incredibly cringey.

It's pretty ironic that he wants her to stay away from him, yet he forgets all about it in five seconds and hops on her dick. 🙄

He also latched on to Maggie and developed an unhealthy relationship with her. She chose to speak to him and help him through his tough time and they got attached to each other so fucking quick. Quicker than you could blink bitch. However, I'm glad this issue is later tackled by the author so I shouldn't be that mad about it....

Maggie was sweet, pure and innocent and she honestly deserved better than West. 🙄

Also, this book takes place in Alabama (this is important to remember). When West started acting like a possessive asshole for no reason, Brad (Maggie's cousin) said something like "ew I wouldn't make a move on my cousin" and I JUST COULDNT STOP LAUGHING BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN ALABAMA, SO WHO THE FUCK KNOWS.

Every single time Alabama was mentioned I thought of incest especially when that scenes happened LMAOO. Ok but for real, nothing like that happened. I'm just being me.

Also, I couldn't stop picturing everyone as a fucking redneck (ESPECIALLY SINCE THEYRE IN THE SOUTH). And especially, when this stupid white girl tells a mixed kid Nash "my daddy only lets me date white guys." Girl shut the fuck up. Racist piece of shit. However, Nash's response was iconic and legendary.

Also, every girl in this book wants to suck Wests dick and is always being a whiny, annoying, slutty bitch??? There isn't a single female that Maggie befriends and it's unhealthy. Stop slut shaming girls for sex when the guys do the SAME fucking thing. Yet they aren't shamed?? No one should be slut shamed but it's disgusting when girls are the ones being slut shamed and portrayed so terribly.

LITERALLY EVERY FEMALE MAGGIE ENCOUNTERS WANTS TO FIGHT HER FOR "STEALING" WEST AWAY FROM THEM. I WANTED TO SCREAM.

Anyways, West and Maggie were kind of cute because I don't know what's wrong with me and why I enjoyed this book.

Ok I'm going to binge the rest of this series. Thanks bye see you in my next video guys!!!!

Buddy read w Nadhira
Profile Image for Danielle (Love at First Page).
726 reviews621 followers
December 17, 2015
Ummmmm, no way in HELL am I finishing this. What a horrible love interest/"hero"! He treats the girls around him like crap but it's okay because his dad is dying. Literally ALL OF THE BOYS are manwhores and the girls are harpies to make the main girl look better. This was not my high school. I shudder to think that the tropes this author uses - especially in regards to sex - will become popular in YA/NA romances. The dude finds a new fuck buddy 40% into the book, and I know this isn't the first time the author has had her "heroes" sleep around in the middle of the book. NOT romantic or sexy!
Profile Image for Jennifer Kyle.
2,338 reviews4,595 followers
August 26, 2015
3.75 Stars

description

I have been super excited to get my hands on this book and to my surprise it wasn’t what I have envisioned when you talk about Friday night field parties with hot high school football players falling in love. This story had an overall very somber vibe as both the hero and the heroine face loss within their families. West clings to his best friend’s cousin, Maggie the girl who doesn’t talk since the loss of her parents as he faces the impendent death of his hero, his father.

West was the typical manwhore using girls and sex to numb his current situation but he finds an anchor in Maggie and insists they be friends. Maggie falls for West but worries she is just is crutch helping in through his loss and not the love she dreams of finding but something unhealthy for both of them.

I was there for you when you needed someone. And maybe I’ve become more of a crutch for you. You get angry if anyone gets near me or speaks to me, and that’s not normal. It’s unhealthy. I’ve never given you a reason to be possessive. This thing between us can’t work if you hover over me like a madman.”

Lawton High has your typical “slutty” girls and Maggie is deemed from the start as something more, something beautiful, as all of Brady’s friends are very taken with his cousin. I mean how hard is it to write another nice girl in this whole school building to make friends with? The story gifted a big cast of hot football players and I’m interested in continuing with the series and hoping Nash is the recipient of the next book!

”I had always been told my future was on the field and I could be somebody great. And I had wanted that. Until I found somebody who needed me. And I realized the only person I wanted to be great for was her.”
Profile Image for Beverly.
1,005 reviews801 followers
August 25, 2015
LIVE - http://amzn.to/1LuyPEF

Growing up in the South I learned quickly that football was king. Whether it was high school football on Friday, College football on Saturday or Professional football on Sunday, when those leaves started falling and the air turned crisp – it was Football Time In Tennessee. It’s no secret I am a HUGE Abbi Glines fan, so a book about high school football by one of my favorite authors, I was dying to read Until Friday Night.

West Ashby is the start football player, popular guy, and appears to have the perfect life, but at home things are falling apart. His dad is dying and no one knows. Maggie is the new student at school, she is West’s best friend's cousin and completely off limits. Not that West would have a chance as Maggie doesn’t speak, at all. Since witnessing her her mother's death she hasn't spoken.

West and Maggie are both trying to survive the heartache they were dealt and together they find solace. Maggie and West are both fantastic characters. I was able to empathize with them and felt connected. I loved the supporting characters and can’t wait to see how their stories unfold.

I didn’t expect to love this story so much, but I did. I didn’t expect a story about high school students to have so much heart, but it did. In the end, this is one of my favorite Abbi books! This story took me back to high school. While reading this story I thought of which of my classmates would have been each character. But what I liked best was the character growth, development and the way they supported each other. This book is a super fun read, has tons of heart, and reminds you of the good ole days. .

ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review.

Teaser Trailer

Profile Image for Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin.
3,366 reviews9,432 followers
September 1, 2017
This one wasn't for me. I felt for Maggie and what happened with her family. And I felt for West with what he was going through with his family. But, it just didn't hit the mark

Maggie cane to live with her aunt and uncle and her cousin, Brady. I liked Brady most of the time because he was real protective. At times too protective but still.

The rest were just okay
Profile Image for Jessica .
2,014 reviews12.8k followers
October 11, 2021
This book has been on my shelf for a while now and I have no idea why it took me so long to read it! This cover just screams YA contemporary and since I love Abbi Glines, I knew that I had to read it.

West Ashby is seen as the golden boy, someone who will help their football team win games and lead them to the state championship. But no one knows what West is really going through at home and the pain he feels as he sees his dad deteriorating day after day. No one but Maggie Carleton. Two years ago, Maggie watched her father murder her mother and has not spoken since. Now, she's moved in with her Aunt and is attending a new high school with her football jock cousin. West feels his pain taking over his mind and needs someone to talk to. From the moment he meets Maggie, he knows she can understand everything consuming him and feels relief when he speaks to her. What West didn't expect, though, was for Maggie to confide in him as well and to develop feelings for a girl just as broken as he is.

Oh my gosh, I had no idea how emotional this book would be. I had no idea what it was going to be about going into this one, so I had no idea how broken and in pain our main characters would be. It was so hard watching both West and Maggie hurt, but that made it that much sweeter when they found solace in each other. I wasn't the biggest fan of how they met, but their relationship quickly took a deeper turn and they began to really depend on one another emotionally.

Aside from our main couple, what really made this book amazing was all of the side characters. I loved how protective Maggie's cousin was of her, but I also loved how his friends and fellow football players accepted her for who she was. Maggie grew closer to both West and his friends and I really enjoyed watching her really figure out who she was and how she was going to live with everything she had gone through.

I am so happy that I finally picked this book up and was able to go on the emotional roller coaster of this story. I already have book two on my shelves and can't wait to pick that one up soon and get back into the world of these characters!
Profile Image for Madita.
470 reviews16.3k followers
August 31, 2022
“I wouldn’t want you,” she spit. “My daddy only lets me date white guys.”

nope. not for me
Profile Image for KAS.
317 reviews3,130 followers
April 21, 2017

Yay!! My first Abbi Glines read and it won't be my last.

Gosh, I love a YA read, especially when it is as well written as this one. Told in my favorite POV style, Maggie and West had my heart from the get go.

Their first encounter ......

Maggie doesn't speak! Hasn't for two years. The pain she feels is still so deep and so raw she can't bare the thought to speak. She recently moved in with her aunt, uncle and cousin, Brady, who is the same age as Maggie. They are both starting their senior year in high school and her aunt wants Brady to help her get acclimated to the school and introduce her to his friends. Brady is 'none to happy' about his new role as babysitter of the mute girl. Forced to take her along to a Friday night field party where all of Brady's friends and football teammates will be hanging out, Maggie meets West for the first time.

West and Brady are best friends and play on the high school football team. West is on the verge of losing his dad to colon cancer, and just the thought of it is destroying him. His dad is his hero. He hasn't even told his friends about his dad's sickness, as it is just too painful to discuss. Sex, for the sake of having sex, is starting to lose it's numbing effect to temporarily make him forget, but he isn't proud of using these girls, who are willing to do anything for him. When he lays eyes on Maggie for the first time at the field party, he is immediately drawn to her. She is beautiful and he loves how her body fills out a sundress. Brady warns him to leave her alone and tells him she can't speak. Later that evening when he is talking on the phone with his mom, he sees Maggie standing nearby staring at him. He confronts her and tells her she should leave if she knows what's good for her. When she doesn't, he backs Maggie up against a nearby tree and kisses the sense out of her and then abruptly leaves without another word.

Their second encounter .....

When the first day of school arrives, Maggie spots the gorgeous, muscled guy that kissed her Friday night. A kiss she couldn't stop thinking about all weekend long. West is leaning beside her hall locker, and is kissing another girl. Seriously?? She thought he might have been a half decent guy when she overheard his loving and concerned phone conversation with his mom at the party, but Maggie thought wrong. She soon comes to find out what a jerk he really is. She might be mute but she isn't deaf. When his friend, Nash, tries flirting with her, West clearly tells him .....

"She's something to look at, but Brady's made her completely off-limits. So ..... Let it go. I did."

Alrighty then! Maggie clearly gets the message ...... She doesn't measure up to other girls as far as West is concerned.

I loved how West and Maggie's relationship evolves. Although each is dealing with a lot of pain, and both handle their pain in different ways, I thought this was a wonderfully written love story.

I look forward to reading Brady's story in the next book of the series.

Profile Image for Aestas Book Blog.
1,059 reviews74.8k followers
Want to read
April 17, 2015
NEW ABBI GLINES SERIES!!! Sounds amazing!!

Profile Image for Laura.
471 reviews553 followers
September 21, 2015
description

Blurb: To everyone who knows him, West Ashby has always been that guy: the cocky, popular, too-handsome-for-his-own-good football god. But on the inside he's grief-stricken - his father is dying and he hasn't told anyone because he can't face the truth.
Now, as his pain grows unbearable, West finally decides he needs to talk to someone about his dad. So in the dark shadows of a party, he tells the one girl who doesn't speak everything he can't tell anyone else. West expected to feel relief, a flood of emotions - but what he didn't expect was for Maggie Carleton to reply. For her to reveal a pain even deeper than his own. And, for them to form a connection so strong that he couldn't ever let her go.

description

Well, Abbi, I’m on board with you again. Kinda.

After me trying to read One More Chance and failing tremendously, I kinda lost faith. I didn’t know if I could continue with Abbi’s books but with this brand new story, she won me over. Kinda.

I loved seeing how she’s grown as a writer and how her stories are taking new roads and how she’s exploring more and more.

With that being said, there were things I liked about this books and things I didn’t like. But since there were more things I didn’t enjoy, this books didn’t work for me. And yes, I love Abbi and I will continue reading the rest of this new series but I need to see how the next book turns out. If the next one's like this one, then I'm sorry but I give up.

description

What I did not like, and this is going to be a PSA for all authors who might find themselves reading this: Girls are not mean. Yes, they’re mean people out there, yes, they’re such a pain, but not all teenage girls are like that. Not all the girls who openly enjoy sex are that mean.

How many times do I have to say this? This is not about Abbi, this is about the whole YA and NA authors who make their female character not likeable just because they were having sex with the main male lead before the female mc shows up. Please don’t. Please, stop.

description

We need to reinforce the idea that girls who enjoy sex are not sluts. Girls who enjoy sex are not to be objectified by their partners. Girls take care of each other more than books portray these days.

So that’s why I had a hard time liking West a.k.a. the male mc. I could sympathize with him and all he was going through, yes, but that’s not an excuse to behave so poorly. He was in pain but, after that first encounter with Maggie (female mc) the least he could do was to apologize to her. That’s it.

That’s why I couldn’t connect with West. Although I felt bad for him, I didn’t like him. I mean, come on, the dude was constantly saying his momma raised him better and blah blah and yet he behaved like that.
He was not all bad and he kinda got better at the end of the book but yeah, not a fan of him.

description

Then we have Maggie. Liking Maggie was tricky. She didn’t talk to people because she didn’t want them to ask her about her parents and that’s valid, okay but she was just a bit of a pushover. Just glaring at people won’t get you anywhere but she was just okay.

I didn’t dislike her, I sympathized with her but one of my two main struggles I had with her was that what she thought was not reflected on how she acted. I mean, in her head she’s very straightforward and conscious and all of that but she acted like a little puppy. It frustrated me. She didn’t need to talk just turn around and go. She didn’t need to put up with anyone’s crap and she thought that way but still stayed.

description

And the other thing I didn’t like about her was her relationship with West. They both were hurting and trying to cope with things but there’s no excuse to let someone use her like that and there’s no reason for you to feel jealous if they were only friends.

“I had come to realize that sometimes West needed me, but other times he needed her. Or someone like her.”

Girl, I know you have issues, I know life has been shitty to you but you are smart, you are kind, you are a good person, why do you do that to yourself?
See, I liked Maggie better when West was not involved and everyone reminded her that she needed to guard herself because he was using her while being hurt. He may have mean it but he’ll do it but she didn’t listen.

description

Let’s say the romance factor was a big fuck no to me but I liked the story. I just wish there had been more characterization and better development for the characters outside the romantic aspect because, even though Maggie got better, obviously, and West stopped being such an asshole, kinda, that was it.
I guess since this is going to be a series, all the football players are going to have their own book and we’ll see how they fall and rise again but I really want Abbi to learn from this first book and make more likeable female characters and stop making her guys to try to own the girls and no more mean girls.

description
Profile Image for Joy (joyous reads).
1,454 reviews290 followers
July 13, 2016
Once upon a time, I was a big fan. Back when New Adult wasn’t a thing. Back when she was still able to pass off her work as suited for her target audience. Slowly, her novels become one trick ponies. I’ve stayed away from her books since then. It’s been years. I thought I’d given it enough time. I thought that between the time passing and the amount of books she’s written since then, there’s bound to have been some growth. Apparently, success does not necessarily equates to improvement in one’s writing prowess. That was naive of me to assume. However, I don’t blame her. I mean, why fix something that have been a proven formula from a financial stand point, right? Why stop when you’re only giving what the masses want?

Anyway, I had so much problems with this book. Ultimately, it’s the prevalent disrespect directed towards the girls that turned me off, perhaps, permanently with Glines’ writing. I’m not a fan of douchebags, and unfortunately, West Ashby is guilty of this transgression. Nowadays, characters are given passes for acting this way. In West’s case, he’s going through some family problems. And while I’m able to forgive some, I just couldn’t do it with him.

Most of the characters in this book are superficial. Boys are hung up on how the girls look. There were mean girls and mean boys making fun of the girl who can’t talk. It was just tiring to have to listen to them demean the new girl and the token slutty girl.I think my face had a perma-grimace while reading this book.

I was looking forward to reading this book because I like to read about characters who are blind, or deaf, or mute. This girl was mute because she chose not to speak after a traumatizing incident that happened in her life. I get that. What I didn’t like was how West was the only person she could speak to. Ugh. The token douchecanoe? Really? Apparently, they have this certain connection that makes him that special.

You’re probably wondering why I didn’t just give up. Well, I haven’t given up on a book this year. Or perhaps I should just shut my trap since I’ve got nothing nice to say? That’s not me, though.

And I never said I was a nice person.
January 26, 2020
I couldn't get through this one. I couldn't get past the sexist comments being made by every guy in this book and constant comments on how a girl LOOKS. I mean not all football players act like that. They aren't all neanderthals pounding their chests and hooking up with every girl along the way. I love football, but I couldn't get past the sexist comments. I thought they were disrespectful and not something I wasn't willing to be subjected to....even in fiction. So, this is a DNF for me.
Profile Image for Paula M.
546 reviews643 followers
November 15, 2017
"His face . . . It was like God had taken all the perfect features for man and put them together just for this guy"

description

Welll, that should not be surprising at all. I don't know why I even bothered. But okay okay lets see what's wrong here. I'll try to keep it short and I hope you guys will understand why I feel like I just wasted my time reading this. Yep, that's harsh but its true.

Until Friday Night was a quick read and I have Abbi Glines' writing to thank for that. It was very simple so its easy to just breezed throughout the story even though I'm not liking the things that are happening in the book. This doesn't really offer anything new in the genre but I guess it was entertaining enough that's why I kept reading and managed to finish it.

This is what I'm saying girls: avoid the i'm-a-girl-with-problems-and-he's-an-attractive-lost-soul-therefore-I-have-to-save-him syndrome. Its annoying, its pathetic and its deadly!!!!! Okay maybe not deadly but I'm right about the first two. I don't get it. Maggie (our mc) have a tragic backstory and has her own issues to deal with but then he sees West and suddenly she becomes Wonder Woman.

""Our kiss wasn’t something he thought about all weekend like I had. Still, West needed to be saved. Someone had to get close to him, to reach him"

GIRLLLL, BE A THERAPIST OR SOMETHING. For now, deal with your own issues, try to prioritize your education and find some decent friends.

Our love interest, WEST, is such a horrible character. I'm cringing every time I read his POV'S. I should've expected the slut shaming and the pig headed attributes but it still bothered me so much. And one more thing, is high school really like this!? Teeangers who acts like kids. Guys trying to sleep with every girl in sight. Girls fighting with each other because of a guy's attention.

I... I can't deal with this.

"He was hurting. I had to remember that. He was lost and hurting and seeking comfort. I should stop him. I shouldn’t let him do something he’d regret tomorrow. But I couldn’t."

description

Until Friday Night might be easy to read but I feel like this book will only appeal to certain readers. If you're like me who has read hundreds of books in this genre, I'm not gonna recommend this book to you. Unless you're Abbi Glines' fan, then read away!
Profile Image for Catarina.
896 reviews1,930 followers
September 19, 2015
3 Broken Stars.

Maggie saw her life being destroyed when she saw her mother’s death under the worst circumstances.
Wes always had a good life until recently cancer had slowly started taking his father’s life away.
They didn’t met under the best circumstances but that didn’t prevent them from becoming friends, even though both of them wanted more.
But it’s possible for love to happen when two persons one person is breaking and the other one is already broken?

description

Abbi Glines uses the same formula in all her books and to be honest it usually works for me. Her books are nice and very pleasant to read. This book follows the same line with the popular rich boy / broken and innocent girl and although it’s a sweet reading there was some aspects that didn’t work for me and despite being told that it happens in other Abbi’s books, it was the first time I noticed: There was a huge factor of slut-shaming all the girls that weren’t the heroine, because apparently not being a virginal saint was a huge sin in this book. I’m far from being the most liberal and accepting person in the world (even though I do try) but I don’t like prejudice in my books… or in real life. Especially stupid prejudice that suggests girls who have sex are whores and boys who do the same are sexy gods. Unfortunately that didn’t work for me and that is mainly the reason for the 3 stars rating. However, if you’re a fan of the author you’ll probably enjoy this book.

Rating: 3 Stars.
Characters Development: To be honest, besides for Maggie’s cousin there was not many supporting characters that actually mattered, and both MC’s where a “Abbi Glines Usual”. He was a popular, good looking kid with a nice life at least until his father’s disease, she was an innocent broken girl that the hero falls at first sight. And it was pretty much it.
Steam: Some heated moments.
Sensible Subjects:
Love Triangle:
Cheating:
HEA:
Profile Image for Jen.
1,654 reviews977 followers
November 23, 2018
I quite enjoyed this book.. it is the first in a series by Abbi Glines and it’s all about falling in love in High School!! Throw that together with the football jocks and the special girls they fall in love with, and you have a great read!
Review to come!
Profile Image for Angela.
582 reviews1,256 followers
January 26, 2016
Until Friday Night is Abbi Glines newest release, so this makes like what her 50th book or something insane like that?? It's also the first Ya book I've ever read by her. I didn't even know she wrote Ya. Anyways, when I read what this book was about all I could think of was how sweet it sounded. Then the reviews started pouring in on Goodreads and all of them were either one star/listed as DNF or five stars/listed as a favorite. This is ultimately why I decided to pick this up. I wanted to read for myself why so many people were torn about this one and I totally get it too.

UFN follows high school student Maggie Carleton, who after having a traumatic experience has decided not to talk. Our other main character is West Ashby, (whose name is completely adorable btw). He is Mr. jock-popular-high school-man slut (of course right). Maggie is shy, timid, and polite. While West is the complete opposite. Maggie between the two is the character I liked right away. Her thoughts are strong and she's intelligent. West however wasn't as enjoyable. It took me a long time to like him. He would think these strong sweet thoughts, but then would do these horrible nasty gross actions. Without a doubt him and his friends are the reasons people were putting this book down (Ill get to that in a minute). These two of course start falling for each other. With Maggie's cousin Brady being on the same football team as West automatically says that she is off limits for any of his friends. This doesn't stop the two from constantly being drawn to one another.

As far as the plot goes on, it heads exactly where you think it will. There's no wicked plot twist or event that you wont see comings and to me this was completely okay. However this story flaws lie with a lot of events that played out in the first half of this book. I'll just kind of rattle off why I know people couldn't push through this, but why they should. People kept bringing up "sexual harassment", I think that's a really strong word to use, but at the same time I get it. The guys in this book are huge DICKS! I also think it gives jocks a terrible name. I don't know if since I wasn't cool in high-school and didn't really hang out with "jocks" that I might not get this, but I don't remember anyone ever saying they were anything like this. I could be wrong though, like I said I didn't really have any sporty friends in school. The things these guys would say and do... Vomit straight vomit. The way they treated people, especially Maggie, was awful. West would just continued to fuel my hate fire for him as well. He would say what one of the guys did was "being too cold" towards someone but then would do something worse! In one scene he hears his mother crying and he's like "this is why I can't be nice to girls"... Let me be clear it has nothing to do with his mom being a nasty person or in a nasty relationship... So when this happened I seriously screamed "WTF WEST THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!! HER CRYING IS THE REASON YOU SHOULD BE SWEET TOO GIRLS AND TREAT THEM LIKE THE PRINCESSES THEY ARE!!!!! YA DICK!"... Plus things with his Ex girlfriend were annoying and the way he turned into a stage 5 clinger wasn't helping his case either... Seriously though don't even get me started on his ex girlfriend... laksfl;aksj;lfkas;kldjf SO ANNOYING AND OVER THE TOP!!!!

These events along with a lot of others ones had me considering not finishing this either... But I really hate not finishing books so I pushed forth. Thank God I did too. Once West actually starts hanging out Maggie things take a very dramatic turn. He turns from a sour grape to a ripe peach. He starts treating himself and others the way they should be treated. Starts realizing that he was being a creepy jerk turd and starts to change his act. This was the West I was waiting for the whole time! Once he changes to, he goes from zero dark crazy too a total swoon worthy book boyfriend. He's not the only one who has a ton of development either, Maggie herself takes on new life. Once she starts standing up for herself and not taking crap you'll start falling more into the story as well. All these changes really jump start the plot and gets this love story going.

I wish the first half of this book was as strong as the last half. I consider the first half a one star/dnf but the second half a 5 star/favorite read. If you pick up UFN, get into it, and then think about putting it down, please reconsider. It does get better. By the end I was completely sold and was thankful for pushing through.

Until Friday Night might not be the strongest book ever written, but it was a quick fun read that I think some are being a little hard on. Also think it could easily become a cute movie.

READ THIS REVIEW AND OTHERS OVER ON OUR BLOG:

SBSR SBSR SBSR
Profile Image for Beth Hudspeth.
527 reviews263 followers
July 25, 2016
Reviewed by: Hello Beautiful Book Blog

Captures the essence of a small town Friday night. This book has the spirit of everything southern with real drama to keep you entertained.

I have a love/hate relationship with Abbi. Well, not really hate because I like her books, just maybe a love relationship with her and a hate relationship with Nan. (If you’ve read Forever Too Far in the Rosemary Beach series, you know what I’m talking about) Anyway. I appreciate the books about southern characters, but I feel like the characters are just a bit over the top sometimes. I made it to the 3rd installment in the Rosemary Beach series and then had to put it down. Mostly because Nan sucks. I enjoyed Blaire and Rush for the most part. Back to the current topic at hand, Until Friday Night. I had my eye on this book when it was released, but I am just now getting to read it. It intrigued me because of the small town and football aspect. I’m glad I decided to go ahead and dive in because as it turns out I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Watching her eased my mind. Even from afar she was enough to help me breathe. I was becoming dependent on a girl I hardly knew.

He winked. I hated it when he winked at me. Mostly because I loved it when he winked. I hated that I loved it. Because friends did not get birds in their tummies over winks.

Maggie just moved in with her aunt, uncle and cousin a year after her mother died. It is a small town full of people who live for Friday night. She is mute for reasons I cannot even begin to fathom and has a tough time with the people ther at first. I won’t go in to the specifics of her trauma for obvious reasons. Maggie’s cousin, Brady is given the task of showing her around town by his mom. He has a tough time finding out how to help Maggie because she doesn’t speak. Cue, West Ashby. All around big shot, but he has intense grief weighing on his back that no one else sees. Maggie and West quickly find solace in each other.

Pain came to all of us at some time or another. It was how we learned to cope with it that determined our future.

The small town aspect is great. There are not enough of these books in my opinion, especially ones that are done right. This book started out a little over the top on the country feel, but by the end it was smooth. I am from a tiny town in the south that loves their Friday night lights so reading this was sort of nostalgic. It brought me back to those humid nights in the fall.

“You gonna win tonight?” he asked. This was always our thing. “You know it,” I replied just like I always did. “That’s my boy.”

I just now realized it gives away what I thought was a huge spoiler in the synopsis. So, if you want to be surprised about Maggie, I would skip it. I liked Maggie being kind of mysterious and finding out what happened to her as the book moves on. I felt like it was revealed to the reader in a real way.

“Keeping quiet is how I survived.”

Everyone is really mature in this book, except a couple of the girls who confront Maggie. I find when teens are a little too mature it takes away from the believability. However, if they are too childish it almost ruins reading the book because you get so annoyed. I know the teens are not supposed to be this grown up, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I liked that Glines gave them a few weak moments to show their vulnerability without taking the drama to another level. I appreciated that and it made me like this book so much more.

“Boys don’t always make the right decisions. It takes years before they become men and wise up.”

****************
Captures the feel of a small town Friday night. I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would.

RTC.
Profile Image for Michelle.
1,462 reviews122 followers
August 29, 2015
Omg I was a bit of a mess readin this

Maggie as been through so much the last 2 yrs an she is still deal with what happened she is know livin with her auntie an uncle an her cousin Brady she is goin 2 start a new school an try an stick 2 herself like alway the only thing that can make this hard is that she doesn't talk she as lived with people sayin things about her but she doesn't care she as 2 protect herself
Brady is nice 2 her but his mum Maggie's auntie wants him 2 look out 4 her Brady is on the football team an is 1 of the best they al go 2 the a field on Friday nites after there game so Maggie as 2 tag along she wants 2 make it easy on Brady she as told him that when she wrote on her note pad so once they r there she just sits in a corner but Maggie is not easy hid she is so beautiful an everyone soon notices her that includes the team but Brady tells them al 2 keep away

West is on the football an like Brady as a big fortune ahead of him but West is goin through the worst time of his life is father is dyin an he is findin it hard 2 deal his father is his hero an they have a great relationship he is very close 2 his mum an dad an he will do anything 4 them when he sees Maggie he sees something in her that he is feelin loneliness he hasn't told anyone about his dad he is just putting up a front so when he goes 2 leave the party an sees Maggie he is the ass he want everyone 2 see an he ends up kissin her it's a kiss they both won't 4 get

This story is totally beautiful but really sad I a huge fan of Abbi Glines an I seen a few reviews that made me a lil scared of should if known that this would of been amazin I luvd Maggie's character so much I felt 4 h through out this book I was in tears in parts an if not in tears I had a lump in my throat an West is hot like really hot but the way these 2 got 2gether an looked out 4 each other was just so good the way the book was written was amazin gettin into both West an Maggie's head was good it wouldn't of been as good in just 1 pov after readin some reviews on this book I do understand what people r sayin about this book but I didn't care I just luvd West an Maggie's story it was just great xxx

Profile Image for Kels.
315 reviews165 followers
December 23, 2015
This was my first Abbi Glines book, and it was such a huge disappointment. I almost feel bad for how much I dislike it, because I'll admit: she has a simplistic charm in her writing that made this an easy, quick read. But as far content goes, I'll pass.

Abbi Glines is certainly a gifted and talented writer. Her words aren't striking, poetic, witty, or powerful, but they are compelling all the same. Her prose has such a fluid and easy flow, slightly reminiscent of Coho's writing style, that doesn't put any pressure on the reader to read in between the lines, or take pauses to digest the meaning of her sentences. And you know, every now and then, a light read is just what I need. It's refreshing and freeing. But that's about all I have positive to say about this book.

I'm sure if you've picked up a YA or NA book lately, then this one would seem particularly familiar to you. We have our female protagonist, Maggie, who has a traumatic past she's still learning to cope with by voluntarily becoming mute. We have our male protagonist, West, who's a sleazeball womanizer user troubled soul that every girl wants a go at and every girl gets her turn. The two meet and Bada Bing Bada Boom instant lust love.

But that doesn't get West to stop getting his share of blow jobs in the high school bathroom... and because he's going through tough time: That's. Okay.

Maggie just needs to be there for him. Whenever. Wherever. Whatever... If he needs her to hold his hand while he's getting off with some other random girl, I'm sure she would have been up for it. Because only she can save him and blah blah blah. Seriously, that's not even the worst of it. Because later on, we also have to deal with their blossoming unhealthy, possessive, and controlling relationship. I mean West doesn't even want Maggie to speak to anyone else because that would be... um... a step in the right direction considering she hasn't spoken to anyone besides him in years?? And just when I think Mrs. Abbi Glines gets it, and she's showing us that this isn't what a normal, high school relationship looks like by allowing Maggie to break it off with him, we find out it's because Maggie doesn't think this behavior is okay... well, at least not when West hasn't said that he loves her. Because we all know, those three words make volatile relationships worth staying in.

Sigh. I'm so over this book. I'm so over books that portray relationships--especially teenage relationships!! Come on. What message are we sending to our youths here?!--with jealousy, possessiveness, and unhealthy behaviors (that wouldn't be acceptable in adult relationships) all romanticized with rose colored glasses. Yep. I'm over it and I never even hopped on that train to begin with.
Profile Image for thebookbitch.
340 reviews346 followers
March 5, 2017
4.5 STARS!

Abbi Glines can never do any wrong for me. I was pleasantly surprised by this book since she's known for writing New Adult books but this transition to YA was perfect. The relationship between West and Maggie was really cute, I loved how she helped him heal and he helped her. However, I also loved how Maggie called out West on him being controlling as authors and publishers like to skip it in their books when it is something that sadly happens.

I wouldn't say this book was the best YA to ever be written, like I've said plenty of times Abbi Glines' writing is pretty basic but it works for her. If you like small town, family oriented books with a cute romance then you'll be obsessed with this like I was.
Profile Image for myo (myonna reads).
641 reviews6,086 followers
May 18, 2021
this book was so much fun to read, it read like a wattpad book but in a good way. it made me feel very nostalgic. if i would’ve read this high school it probably would’ve rated higher. it was a bit problematic but you know i don’t mind my books like that. the cousin, Brady was extremely weird to me, he was so protective of her but it came off as weird because they weren’t close and the author hadn’t developed it right. straight off the bat he was like “you’re pretty i have to protect you cus i’m the quarterback” like okay....
Profile Image for Warda.
1,090 reviews17.4k followers
Shelved as 'dnf'
April 24, 2019
I read 32 pages and was majorly turned off by this book. I usually give it till page 50, sometimes 100, to see if a book will work for me, and my gut us telling me this story ain't the one for me.
Profile Image for kimberly ☆.
184 reviews2,666 followers
December 21, 2021
corny & a bit cringe 😭 i didn’t like this at all, only reason I didn’t dnf is because I’m reading it with hannah. I could not get attached to West for the life of me I really tried but I just could not, Maggie on the other hand I adore her. I don’t know I just really like her character and she’s genuinely a good person. I honestly was more interested in Nash, and may be seeing potential there with Maggie and Nash but Maggie and west is what we got so.
Profile Image for ✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰ .
2,120 reviews1,175 followers
August 22, 2016

description

I LOVED IT! I wasn't expecting to love it. Because I don't like too young YA books - but this one was sooo adorable, and not too young. I cried ALL THROUGH THE BOOK!!!!

description

If I had to say something negative, it would be that there wasn't much happening in this story. Just two grieving people helping each other - a bit of high-school-drama - but I loved it. It was really moving and lots of FEELS ☺ Perfect

Now I can't wait for book #2 - Gunner ☺

description description description description

Smokin Hot Book Blog Email
Profile Image for Beatrice Masaluñga.
1,134 reviews1,656 followers
March 19, 2016
When there's a new Abbi Glines book, I always look forward to it because it's quick to read and they cure my reading slumps. This one is more of an okay-ish book to me. I'm not really a fan of Maggie and West as main characters. They just fell flat to me and the other characters are a bunch of assholes.

The only thing I liked here was Brady. Though at first I find him rude, he just have a different approach of being protective. I might or might not continue this series... we'll see.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 5,211 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.