Start by marking “Written in the Stars” as Want to Read:
Written in the Stars

Written in the Stars

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  4,881 ratings  ·  1,098 reviews
This heart-wrenching novel explores what it is like to be thrust into an unwanted marriage. Has Naila’s fate been written in the stars? Or can she still make her own destiny?

Naila’s conservative immigrant parents have always said the same thing: She may choose what to study, how to wear her hair, and what to be when she grows up—but they will choose her husband. Following
Published March 24th 2015 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Written in the Stars, please sign up.
Aisha Saeed Hi Afreen!

Hi Afreen!

I only just got notified about this question!! Thank you so much for asking! I do not have plans at the moment to be in Chicago but things can always change- if it happens I will be sure to post on my website www.aishasaeed.com under "media/events"

Thanks again for your support- it means the world! xoxo(less)
Aisha Saeed Thank you so much! Just a few more months :)
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,378 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,468 books — 8,856 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola
‘‘You can choose what you want to do when you grow up, the types of shoes you want to buy, how long you want your hair to be. But your husband, that’s different. We choose your husband for you. You understand that, right?’’

Remember the movie Bend It Like Beckham? How Jess’ parents were all like:

description

And it was awful. Every time I was watching the movie – and I did so at least three times in total because movie with valuable themes equals Ethics class pick –, I felt frustrated and wanted to shake th
Steph Sinclair

I'm not sure what I expected from Written in the Stars, but it definitely wasn't what I received. Naila's story of a forced, arranged marriage both shocked and horrified me to the point where I had to put the book down several times. It reminds me of how I felt while reading Little Peach, except I knew going into that one was going to be hard. I didn't expect th
Sana
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sana by: Kimi
As a Pakistani American I was hoping to being able to relate to this book, but I obviously didn't because the people and relatives I know about that live in Pakistan don't live a horrible life like the people in this book did. I also didn't relate to this book bc of the whole forced marriage issue. I know for a fact my parents won't force me to marry a guy without my consent.

One thing that I saw a lot when I was reading reviews for this book was that people said these "forced marriages" happen
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all of my awesome friends
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: several awesome friends

MUSHY, OVER-EMOTIONAL REVIEW COMING YOUR WAY. ESCAPE WHILE YOU CAN!

Flawlessly Written in the five stars!

When I couldn’t put the book down, it instantly merits five stars! It’s that simple.

This book, I devoured it in only a little more than three hours. I didn’t do anything else once I started reading it.

The wonderful writing is captivating. I love its smooth, easy, flow that in the beginning warms the heart. No. The better term is, it tricks the heart to feel good as it establish
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
More reviews and bookish fun at Deadly Darlings!

Five Reasons Why You Must Read Written in the Stars

1.) This book has a cast of authentic characters. Take our main character for example. Naila wants to be strong, but sometimes she doesn't really have a choice, especially where her parents are concerned. A lot of us are this way in real life, yeah?

2.) The romance in this book is absolutely amazing. Holy mother of feels, you guys! The romance was just so heartwarming and so fierce--I was rooting fr
emily
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was going to try to give this 4.5 stars but after I thought about it for 0.25 seconds, I realized this book is worth nothing less than 5 stars

I heard someone somewhere say that they read this book in a day and this morning I woke up wanting to do the same thing. I picked up this book and pledged that I would read it all today (or in 24 hours) no matter what happened. I thought maybe it wouldn't happen, or I would have to force myself through certain parts, but nothing of the sort occurred. Fr
Samantha
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Written in the Stars is actually a book I don't recommend reading the synopsis for, as I feel it spoils a lot of elements of the book. I know I know.. I just posted the synopsis. But that is my review structure and I'm sticking to it.

First off, this was a very interesting story about a subject matter I had never read about before. It introduces the reader to the culture slowly, and I found a lot about it very fascinating.

While I felt for Naila and her plight, I also found her very naive at times
enqi ☁️✨ [joon's]
Author's Note: When I was twenty-two years old, I married the love of my life. Both Pakistani-Americans raised in traditional families, our wedding was semiarranged by our parents. We met only once, surrounded by family, before getting engaged, and only a handful of times before our wedding day...

Aisha Saeed's Written in the Stars follows the story of Naila Rehman, a Pakistani-American teenager whose conservative immigrant parents have always said the same thing: she may choose anything
Jennifer Kyle
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars

”A life of loneliness is an awful punishment for one bad decision. We don’t want that for you. Trust us. Promise you won’t disappoint us.”

description

It’s Nalia’s senior year and she’s months away, scratch that days away, from heading to college with her secret boyfriend, Saif and her best friend, Carla. Nalia’s family is very strict of Pakistani descent. They have their own expectations of their only daughter. What harm could one lie to get her to the prom be?

description

Nalia’s family tells her a trip to
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
4.5 stars. Review to come once I've collected my thoughts - all I can say is that this has officially been deemed one of my personal favorites in a long time.

______________________

Being a Pakistani myself, I'm all too well aware of some of us unfortunate souls trapped under these circumstances. (I'll admit - I have my own occasional moments where I have to battle relatives suffocating me with prospects of future arranged marriage and I'm only 17!)

Although, I feel the need to shed some positive l
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
Aisha Saeed’s Written in the Stars follows the story of Naila, a Pakistani-American teenager whose parents have always told her that she is free to be who she wants to be; she can choose what she wants to study, her profession in the future, what she wears and how she does her hair. But when it comes to marriage- when it comes to choosing a husband, her parents will make that decision for her. But here’s the problem: Naila’s madly in love with Saif, a fellow Pakistani-American student in her hig ...more
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
~ Author's Note

Yes, your eyes are not playing tricks on you: This is a quote from the author herself, not the protagonist. I believe this to be very important because it sheds light on what was important to the auth
Jananee (headinherbooks)
Rating: 4.5/5

This review is probably going to be a jumble of thoughts because this book hit me really hard (much harder than I was expecting) and I'm still reeling from it.

Although I'm not Pakistani like the characters of Written in the Stars, coming from a South Asian background means that I have been exposed to arranged marriages all my life. For the most part, like Aisha Saeed mentions in her Author's Note, they are positive and consensual and growing up in Australia, these are the sort of
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

“You can choose what you want to be when you grow up, the types of shoes you want to buy, how long you want your hair to be. But your husband, that’s different. We choose your husband for you. You understand that, right?” I’ve heard this more times than I can count. The first time we had this conversation was seven years ago, when I was ten.

“What if I find him first?” I asked then.

“That’s not how it’s done,” she had said. “Just because we live in a dif
Masooma
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can chooses many things. You can choose what you want to be when you grow up, the types of shoes you want to buy, how long you want your hair to be. But your husband, that's different. We choose your husband for you. You understand that, right?

Nope, I don't! But Naila does, deep down, she keeps trying to break the barrier of this mind-set, struggling to create cracks in this one rule that governs her life since she was ten years of age. But to no avail! The mind-set is as tough as the law of
Neil (or bleed)
Oh, written in the stars
A million miles away
A message to the main, oh.
Seasons come and go
But I will never change.
And I'm on my way.

Oops sorry. I'm just singing a song I like that has the same title with this book.

Anyway, let me tell you that this book, or should I say, the characters of this book ANGERED me. Really aANGERED me. By characters, I mean not Naila (the main character) but her parents and her relatives. I just don't want to elaborate because this review I afraid will become a rant rat
Kimi
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kimi by: Kat Stark

Meet our main character Naila

A smart and beautiful young lady of 18 Years old who had almost everything figured out in her life:
• Graduating High School: Check
• Getting a scholarship for Med school: check
• Awesome BFF: Check
• Adorable boyfriend: check
Except for one small detail that will become her worst nightmare. Naila d
Monica
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
I was physically shaking during a large portion of my reading of this book out of anger, sadness, and stress. Aisha Saeed does an incredible job of making the reader feel the weight of Naila's story. This was an incredible story I'm glad I finally picked up.
Kate (GirlReading)
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love it when I finish a book feeling like I've learnt something new and that's exactly how I felt after finishing Written in the Stars.

This book was insightful, shocking, educational and heartbreaking. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to expand their knowledge of different cultures and learn something new, whilst also reading a fantastic book!

Check out my full review for Written in the Stars on my blog ~ http://girlreading.co.uk/bookreviews/...
Liz
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I will stick to the not-gonna-rate-it decision, I think. I did not love it, I was more horrified than anything else.
This was a moving story, one I could not wrap my mind around, but maybe exactly for this reason. I could not comprehend the behaviour of Naila's aunts and uncles, the behaviour of her parents (her mother in particular), her own trust and devotion when it came to her family making decisions for her...There was a lot, okay?!
Books are often like windows and this window opened a diffe
Rachel Maniacup
I can't believe I have read another emotional novel,when I was only preparing myself for a light read. The thing is, I was just about to peek through a few pages of this book,only to see what the story is all about.(I know that AJ recommended this to me,but I forgot that this is also an intense heart-wrecking novel).But when I started reading the first chapter,I could no longer put down the book until suddenly,I am already at the epilogue! I'm surprised that I finished it in just one sitting!^^

T
Romie
Trigger warnings : rape, forced marriage, drugged against one’s will

This is probably one of the hardest books I had to read in my entire life. But also one of the most important.

My uncle locked me in a barred room. My parents drugged me and force me into this marriage. I didn’t think anything could get worse, but today, for the first time, I know what it is like to feel completely broken.

This is the story of Naila, a 18-year-old Pakistani-American, forced against her will to marry Amin.She promi
Kels
This novel captivated me from start to finish. The writing is emotionally engaging, intense at times, and purely addictive. I couldn't put this down while reading it, though sometimes I wanted to just to give my heart a break. Written in the Stars is such an eye-opening, and impactful read, and I just can't recommend this novel enough.
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Full review originally posted on my blog: Word Wonders

Oh boy, I don’t know where to begin with this review. This book touched me in such deep ways that I have no clue how to put those feelings into words but I’m going to trying my hardest because I adored it and I need everyone I know, their mother, thei neighbor and their neighbor’s dog to read it. I’m even mad at myself because I’ve had it for MONTHS but for some reason haven’t picked it up, I’m grateful to Ramadan Readathon for making me
Aila
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was another one of those books where I tell myself "Sure Aila why don't you read a little before sleeping?" and I end up finishing it within a night. Sorry sleep, but this was just too good to put down. Love the characters, love the culture, and Naila is just so, so relatable. (Not just because her name is one letter from mine.)

This all starts out with Naila's senior prom, which her parents definitely wouldn't let her go to. Basically their motto is "You can focus on anything but boys." And
Liz Janet
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I recommend you listen to “Written in the Stars” by Tinie Tempah and Eric Turner. ( Oh written in the stars, A million miles away, A message to the mane,Oh, Seasons come and go, But I will never change, And I’m on my way)

Do you want to cry tears of blood? Feel like your heart has been ripped from your chest cavity? Spend days trying to to put yourself back together? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this is the book for you.

Naila is forced into an arranged marriage, and from there
Rashika (is tired)
Written in the Stars is the kind of book that I should have loved but I didn't. Diversity? Check. Forbidden romance? Check. A female lead you want to root for? Check. So why didn’t I love it? For starters, it is written in a very simplistic middle grade style which is odd given the age of the characters and the things happening.

I also think the book is a lot more rushed than it should be. It takes a lot of time to build to the climax but not enough time is spent providing readers with a detail
HY

4.5 stars!!
Rounded up to 5 stars for the Goodreads rating because I loved the message behind the book so much - it's a very important diverse read that I'd strongly recommend to all!!

"Written in the Stars" follows into Naila's story of her forced, arranged marriage. Naila is a Pakistani-American teen who comes from a conser
K.
Oof. I was really excited about reading this book, but this was...rough.

The gist of the story is that 17 year old Naila is about to graduate high school and go off to college with her best friend. She's madly in love with her boyfriend, Said, despite having to keep their relationship a secret because of how conservative her Pakistani parents are. When her parents find out about Said, they take Naila and her younger brother to Pakistan for a month. Which then turns into two months. And also, whi
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Apr 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Kimi

That's Kimi's fault. Alright, I know, I know, I did recommend What We Saw to her and the FEELS GUYS. THE FEELS. WHAT? You haven't read it? *GASP* Just GO. (free hugs are offered if needed)

It seems that it's my turn to be hurt. I'm not ready, but to be fair, I did read What We Saw not so long ago, and I'm not sure my heart had the proper time to heal.

But I'll be brave.

• Under a Painted Sky
  • My Best Everything
  • The Wrong Side of Right
  • The Last Leaves Falling
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • Ink and Ashes
  • Endangered
  • Underneath Everything
  • Skyscraping
“My mother always says when you fight destiny, destiny fights back. Some things, they're just written in the stars. You can try but you can never escape what's meant to be.” 31 likes
“Life is full of sadness. It's part of being a woman. Our lives are lived for the sake of others. Our happiness is never factored in. Do I want this life? Living here and seeing my husband a few times a year, raising my daughter alone? I don't know what it was like in America, but this is how life is. This is reality. But this advice is coming too late. It's meaningless now.” 20 likes