Start by marking “The Anxiety Toolkit: Strategies for Fine-Tuning Your Mind and Moving Past Your Stuck Points” as Want to Read:

Do you overthink before taking action? Are you prone to making negative predictions? Do you worry about the worst that could happen? Do you take negative feedback very hard? Are you self-critical? Does anything less than perfect performance feel like failure?

If any of these issues resonate with you, you're probably suffering from some degree of anxiety, and you're not alon
Published March 3rd 2015 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about The Anxiety Toolkit, please sign up.

Khaled H Praise for THE ANXIETY TOOLKIT

Hesitancy: How to Stop Holding Back from the Things You Want to Do

CHAPTER 5
Rumination: How to Get Your Thinking Unstuck

CHAPTER 6
Paralyzing Perfectionism: How to Stop Getting Derailed by the Wrong Kinds of High Standards

CHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 10
Areas Where People Get Tripped Up

CHAPTER 11
Liking Your Natural Self vs. Tolerating Your Natural Self

CONCLUSION
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
REFERENCES
NOTES
INDEX
(less)

Toni Bernhard
Mar 12, 2015 Toni Bernhard rated it it was amazing
Self-help books contain a lot of advice, but can be hard to apply to our lives. “The Anxiety Toolkit” is different. It focuses on what we can do, right now, to make our lives better. The book is uniquely interactive: Dr. Boyes doesn’t lecture us; instead, she invites us to participate by taking valuable (and often fun) self-assessment quizzes that help us pinpoint the ways in which we self-sabotage our happiness. Dr. Boyes then discusses practical strategies—backed by sound research—to free ours ...more
Barbara Markway
Mar 29, 2015 Barbara Markway rated it it was amazing
If you tend to be a worrier, a perfectionist and are self-critical, this book is for you! Dr. Boyes shares her own experience of being "anxiety-prone" so she knows what's it's like to get stuck in your thoughts. She also brings her years of clinical and research experience to show you how to get unstuck. She shows you how to work with your personality, not fight it. Her writing is down-to-earth and easy to read. There are so many practical tips and strategies, you can dip in and out of the book ...more
Stephanie
Apr 21, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
It was okay. I feel like a lot of the stuff in here didn't apply to my particular anxiety struggles. I had a hard time relating to this book. Maybe my anxiety disorder is very specific. The books I prefer are the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook and From Panic to Power.
Yunxiao
Mar 02, 2017 Yunxiao rated it it was amazing
Interactive self-help book that you can work on each small problem little by little. you don't have to read most chapters in order, it's really like a toolkit that you can pull tools out as you need.
Geoff
Mar 25, 2015 Geoff rated it really liked it
My friend Caitrin (of podcast fame) sent me an article from Refinery 29 and after checking it out I knew I needed to read this book. I reached out to the publisher, Perigee Books (Publisher’s site), and they generously provided a copy of the book in return for my honest opinion. In addition to the book, there is an amazing free resource at theanxietytoolkit.com!

Last year I had a panic attack which resulted in a hospital visit when the lingering effects didn’t go away. I was already in therapy
Kerry
Oct 04, 2015 Kerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 8, non-fiction, 2015
I ended up skim reading this as it had to go back to the library. As is typical for someone with anxiety issues, I kept putting off reading it and I ran out of time.

However, I did check out the chapters that most apply to me, and I think there's some really good, helpful advice in here. I will either borrow it again when it's not so new and no longer has a hold list so I don't have to have it back exactly the moment it is due.

But I'll keep it's advice in mind and keep on working on that anxiety
Ladiibbug
Nov 27, 2015 Ladiibbug marked it as to-read
11/30/15 scanned, looks very good, check out again in Jan. 2016
Mary
Apr 03, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
The Anxiety Toolkit by Alice Boyes, PhD was a Goodreads giveaway that I won in March and began reading in April finishing it in a day. I have to admit that not only did I enter the giveaway for myself but also for another which I have already shared. So, I was hoping that someone else as well as I could get something from its content. I have pulled a couple things but I am getting ahead of myself. I don't suffer from extreme anxiety or panic attacks anymore but have had my share and figured it w ...more
Cindy
Feb 10, 2017 Cindy rated it really liked it
Clear common sense advice on a variety of "issues". A good book to refer back as the need arises.
Stephanie Benoit
Dec 04, 2015 Stephanie Benoit rated it liked it
I've been dabbling with this book for over a month. Parts of it I really enjoyed. There were a lot of multiple choice questions for the reader to answer for the sake of classification of one's particular needs. I liked some of the suggestions and I think some of those will be useful and may be useful for some of my friends with anxiety issues.

Towards the end, it started touching on work related stuff and that just brought up some stuff I didn't want to deal with regarding very unpleasant memori
Kira
As someone who has struggled with general and social anxiety, this book is absolutely a must have. I had been in cognitive therapy in the past, but it didn't do much for me. This book really gets to the heart of all different ways anxiety affects one's life. It's fun and interactive (quizzes! Fifteen-year-old me loves quizzes!) and not only points to the problems, but gives you ways of dealing with the problem (besides "well, just change your thinking"). I whole-heartedly recommend this to anyon ...more
Du
Jun 01, 2015 Du rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
At first I wasn't sure this book had much to offer, but as I read it, I found more and more of interest and of value. The approach is less self help and more self awareness. There are quizzes and exercises to take, but overall the book described scenarios and emotions and attempts to walk the reader through options to deal with the scenario or emotion and give the reader guidance on dealing with stress and anxiety in a simple and straightforward manner.
Jeremy
Jun 09, 2015 Jeremy rated it liked it
This is an easy read with an approach that I think helps you first evaluate an aspect of your anxiety so that you know if the upcoming chapter is what you are looking for. Then the chapter gives examples of the anxiety topic so that you can understand the topic. Then the chapter progresses to provide a few ideas on how to approach the anxiety with the intent of at least reducing that point of anxiety.
Yellowoasis
Jul 17, 2015 Yellowoasis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This is a really good, easy to follow guide to the various forms of anxiety. There are lots of exercises and quizzes. Would be a really good introductory text to anyone interested in examining their own anxiety issues. The accompanying website is also full of useful tools and links, and the further reading section is excellent.
Amanda Carver
Apr 13, 2015 Amanda Carver rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful. I am prone to anxiety and I had some very specific goals in which anxiety was definitely not allowing me to accomplish. I am still prone to anxiety but this book helped immensely in overcoming some specific obstacles and I feel much more free after reading and applying this information.
Dawn Livingston
I thought I knew all there was to know about anxiety. I was wrong. The book focuses on the minute details for anxiety i.e. dealing with negative self talk (negative inner voice) and the self defeating attitudes and how to derail those habits and inner voices. I found it very helpful though the answers might seem simple, putting them into practice is not as easy.
Sandy H
May 22, 2016 Sandy H rated it really liked it
Excellent. Filled with practical, common sense explanations and suggestions. In fact, now that I've read the whole book, I'm going back to focus on particular sections most relevant to me. Very highly recommended.
Bradley
Apr 03, 2015 Bradley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
As a social work major I'm always reading self-help books in order to improve myself and future clients. This is a really good book about anxiety because it explains the different ways a person can be anxious but also gives sound examples to change ways of thinking and ideas to develop new habits.
Lisa
Nov 16, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Good read. Similar to other books about anxiety and procrastination; however, in many ways easier to understand. So much of anxiety and procrastination is based on the thoughts we think in our head and this book gives you some options to try to alleviate some of that.
Rebecca Lyman
Great tips for dealing with anxiety! I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to find better tips for dealing with their anxiety. See full review here: The Anxiety Toolkit
Analde
Nov 06, 2016 Analde rated it really liked it
4.5*
Manda Allee
Mar 24, 2015 Manda Allee rated it it was amazing
This book is practical and helpful for changing one's thinking patterns.
Candy
Jan 12, 2016 Candy rated it really liked it
Some great strategies...
Coeli Lawhead
Aug 17, 2015 Coeli Lawhead rated it really liked it
Very helpful tool. It won't solve everything but it does what it says - it gives you tools to face your anxiety.
Janet W
Janet W rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Cwen Yeoh Xiwen
Cwen Yeoh Xiwen rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Julie Dimas
Julie Dimas rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
attorehhagel
attorehhagel rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Tony Harte
Tony Harte rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Julie Black
Julie Black rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • SuperBetter: A Revolutionary Approach to Getting Stronger, Happier, Braver and More Resilient - Powered by the Science of Games
  • Black Rose Alice, Tome 1 (Black Rose Alice #1)
  • Seeking Serenity: The 10 New Rules for Health and Happiness in the Age of Anxiety
  • Lucid Dreaming, Plain and Simple: Tips and Techniques for Insight, Creativity, and Personal Growth
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • Swan, Volume 1
  • Hardcore Self Help: F**k Anxiety
  • The Tao of Stress: How to Calm, Balance, and Simplify Your Life
  • The Orphaned Adult: Understanding And Coping With Grief And Change After The Death Of Our Parents
  • Mastering Creative Anxiety: 24 Lessons for Writers, Painters, Musicians, and Actors from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Little Ways to Keep Calm and Carry On: Twenty Lessons for Managing Worry, Anxiety, and Fear
  • Requiem of the Rose King, Vol. 1 (Requiem of the Rose King, #1)
  • Making Hope Happen: Create the Future You Want for Yourself and Others
  • Kingfisher
  • Islam: A Concise Introduction
  • Fast Minds: How to Thrive If You Have ADHD (Or Think You Might)
  • The Mindfulness Journal: Exercises to help you find peace and calm wherever you are
  • The Fatherless Daughter Project: Understanding Our Losses and Reclaiming Our Lives