Start by marking “Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction (The Ahriman Legacy Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction (The Ahriman Legacy Book 1)

Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction (The Ahriman Legacy Book 1)

It was the year when global economies continued to plummet despite analysts’ predictions of a turnaround.
It was the year when the Kuwaiti National Assembly consisted of the largest Islamic contingent in more than two decades.
It was the month when the price of oil plunged to twenty dollars a barrel.
It was the month when the Emir of Kuwait dissolved the National Assembly
Published June 15th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Ahriman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ahriman

Start your review of Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction (The Ahriman Legacy Book 1)
B. Patterson
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Petra is everything you want in a main character: heroic, smart, driven. I also like most of Petra’s supporting cast, such as her boss and her recruiter who’s now retired. Except her boyfriend. The positive I can say about Grant is the character is used like he should be. He has a certain skill set that Petra lacks and needs in order to complete her mission.

The Ahriman is everything I want in a villain. Great motivation with a strong, conflicted backstory.

Great job of characterizing villains.
Ray Cooke
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Off the Book Operation?
Story is a little complex but very good, strong characters with depth and realism.
A well crafted novel.
Narration is good.
Allround a good read.
I received a copy of this audio book at my request and voluntarily leave this review.
C.S. Woolley
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is debatable whether being able to compare the way a book is written to a TV series is a good thing, but in this case, I think it’s a great thing.
Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction is the literary equivalent of the TV series 24. Fast paced, completely terrifying in places and constantly has you teetering on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next.
Set in the not too distant future, the lack of difference between life now and then is really well written and actually builds on the
Taylor Smith
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great read! I really enjoyed this one from Puja Guha. One of my friends had read this book and said that it was really good. She couldn't stop talking about it, so I decided to give it a try too. I'm so glad that I did! This book was thrilling, fun and exciting. You can tell that Puja put a lot of time and energy into this story to make it what it is.

Once I turned the first page, I found the book extremely hard to set down. It had so much action, thrill and I wanted to see what
James Poter
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well if you are a regular novel reader you will most probably be putting puja’s next book in your buy list after you read her first ever published novel Ahriman: the spirit of destruction. And its good to know that she maybe planning to write more volumes for this title. Its mainly based on international politics mainly the middle east. For a new writers first work, this book might actually exceed your expectation and leave you to wait for the next volume of the series. You probably even notice ...more
Champika Wickramasinghe
Wow, I really enjoyed this one from Puja Guha! Actually, My friend gave me as a gift.So, I decided to read this.I was interest to read this.As well as, I could learn about Middle East politics, and had something interesting and easy to read everyone.The scenery was so vivid in this book and the storyline was very interesting. I can't wait to read more from this author. Her writing style is very interesting and it kept me on my toes.I suggest to every one to read. So.

Highly recommend!
Saj Sajady
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was entertaining and intriguing to read and learn about Kuwaiti and Middle East politics through a fictional novel. Puja Guha is a young and promising author. Petra, with her experience and secret past, makes for a fascinating lead. There is a lot of action and suspense making for a real page turner. I couldn’t wait to read what happened next. I really enjoyed reading this book and am excited for the next one.
Dannielle
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not expecting this to be so good!
I didn't think I'd enjoy this book, Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction, nearly as much as I did. I'm usually more fond of the types of stories that center around character than events. However, this story manages to have both in equal richness. I never thought the political aspect would be entertaining to me, but the author successfully was able to weave it in such a story that it was not boring in the slightest. Cannot wait to read more by Ms. Guha!
Tiff Smith
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my very first thriller book set in the Middle East . "Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction" turned out to be the perfect pick.

"Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction" is an interesting and easy read. The text flows smoothly and the twists and suspense kept reading.
Highly recommended to all thrillers lovers.
Texas
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahriman #1 - This is my first read by Ms. Guha and I was impressed. I took my time to read this well thought out and well written and well edited first time novel. The author's experiences and education show throughout her book; while not a spy, she understands of the parts of the world she is writing about so clearly. There are several storylines that weave in and out during two or three periods of time and mesh together in this intriguing, suspenseful saga of terrorism and politics in the Midd ...more
Billie
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Espionage. Assassins.Middle East.
Homeland meets Syriana in the near future.
When the CIA intercepts intelligence on a terrorist attack in Kuwait, Petra Shirazi, a former field agent, comes face to face with the Ahriman, one of Iran's deadliest assassins.
The story is led by a strong female protagonist who is pitted against her nemesis. To stop him, Petra must confront her past and the traumatic experience that took her out of the field.

This was a well thought out, well written intricate internat
Saundra Wright
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How does one become a terrorist? A legend of that dark world? Is there a place for compassion, sympathy when we view them? Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction is an intense political thriller that follows the making of such a legend. It is a very human story, worth your time and money!

Kasem Ismaili was raised in the US and went to Kuwait for a job as a financial analyst. It may have been where his family originated, but it is an all new world for him. He is a young man, used to a light, carefree
Michelle Noble
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book may be difficult to read, because there is so much in it that I'm unfamiliar with. However, the author does a good job of describing the places and the political climate. Ahriman is the "bad guy", but all I did was feel sorry for him. I really loved reading about a strong independent woman agent. I like seeing women in strong and typically male roles. I was disappointed with the ending, but only because I wanted to see Petra end up with a certain someone. The ending was ...more
Janet Knudsen
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy-thriller
I love spy novels. That said, Puja Guha has achieved my top rating; “The Ahriman, The Spirit of Destruction,” is a brilliantly written novel that kept me reading and wanting more. It is the best novel in this genre that I have ever read!
Two plot lines are skillfully interwoven throughout the novel: that of Petra Shirazi, an intelligence agent for the U.S., and of Kasem Ismaili, a finance expert who gets pulled into a world he never anticipated. I was never lost or forced to look back on precedi
Ellen
Aug 14, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book as the author was so nice and sent me an actual book as I don't often read ebooks and yet I could not. The choppy chapters switching back and forth between characters and between time lines was VERY confusing and I had trouble and often lost focus. I had great difficulty keeping all the characters except The Agency staff straight. Plus this was written in 2014 and covers 2017-2021 .. it is now 2020 and it is hard to read about terroristic events that didn't happ ...more
Stanley McShane
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Off book melee!

Undercover work is always dangerous. But when two lovers pursue the same operative, death can be too close for comfort! This novel is very well written by someone familiar with international intrigue. Well written and difficult to put down. CE Williams Free from Bookbub
Quanita
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a female agent that isn't a whiney shrinking violet. Competent, multi lingual, and a quick study in tight situations. Petra, aka Lockjaw, is sent to the middle East because of info on an assassination. No one knows who's the target or who's the killer. I was gifted this from the author.
Brett
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction is the best novel in this genre ( political thriller / espionage ) that I have read. I appreciate reading a novel w/ Middle East setting written by an author who has lived there. I visited Bahrain in 1980s so I have some familiarity w/ the geography. The writing is smooth, although the storyline is a bit complex. The book is a great read!
Rosetta
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well designed story. It is evident the author did her research and visited these locations of which her story takes place. This captivates the readers attention and you do not want to put it down. There were a lot of twists and turns to keep the story moving. I think this book would make a great spy/thriller movie. I look forward to reading more from this awesome author.
Robert
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the plot and enjoyed the twists in the author's back and forth style of writing. Eventually the reader arrives at the current status quo as to what role each person has played in the lead up to the finale. This author has much to offer and I do recommend her writings to those who would enjoy a good spy thriller
Asiaman
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very very good read. The twist and the characters are fabulous and it kept me up too late trying to finish it. Puja Guha is a very talented writer and I expect some excellent books to be written by her. If I could I would add an extra star for her work. You will not go wrong buying this book and I know that mystery thriller lovers will not want to pass up this excellent book.
Ellen White
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Petra is a strong female coming against one of Iran’s deadliest assassin
The nightmare of her past has to be dealt with now to do her job. This a saga of political, and terrorist in the Middle East. The author was well versed in the happening over there, and gave us a captivating story.
Daniel
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Really was glad to finish this. Felt like I was just plodding along not caring what happened at the end. Not interested in finding out what happens next. I know there were some inconsistencies in the story but was just not interested enough to go back and double check.
Linda
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Military Adventure

Military adventure is not my first choice. As such, it took me a long time to commit to finishing this book. The writing was enjoyable and the pieces of the story all came together in the end.
Carol Martin
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing political thriller

Who is Ahriman & where did he come from? How much destruction can he accomplish? And can he be stopped? Lots of twists & turns in this race to find him & halt his destructive path. International espionage well done.
David Nancoo
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interest

Excellently written, thoroughly enjoyable, could not put it down. I enjoy reading these type of books when I was a teenager and this book reminded me of those times. Look forward to reading more of them. Will recommend to my friends with similar interest.
Sonya
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book, and when it arrived, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. This was my first book by this author, and I enjoyed it very much. It was a little complex, but a really good story. I especially liked the characters, especially Petra. I look forward to reading more of her books.
Frank Gless
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book even though I read the second book first. Petra is an excellent heroine and Kasem a hero. This book in a spirit reminiscent of a Tom Clancy novel, kept me intrigued throughout. I can't wait to get into Puja Guha's third book in the series. Wonderful entertainment.
Patricia
This was a good read, a very possible story, read almost like nonfiction, deeper than my usual reads. I did get confused with some of the back and forth, keeping characters straight, but that is my problem and not the writers fault. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Angel Graham
Sep 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While I liked the MC, Petra, I just couldn't bring myself to care about the whole plot. Once I realized there would be constant back flashes...jump to present...I was done. DNF.

• Ultimate Justice (Lorne Simpkins, #6)
  • Serenity Avenged (Shelby Alexander #3)
  • The Good Son (Reed & Billie #2)
  • Game On (Redemption Thriller #14; Ozzie Novak Thriller #2)
  • The Recipient (Emerald City Thriller, #1)
  • Ten Seconds to Total Exposure (Ten Seconds, # 2)
  • Benny James Mystery Series Box Set (Private Investigator)
  • The Story of Grenville King (Conor O'Shea, #3)
  • Blood of Others (Tom Reed and Walt Sydowski, #3)
  • Safe at the Edge of the World (Conor O'Shea #2)
  • Blackwaters (Kate Reid #4)
  • The Alexandria Project (Frank Adversego Thrillers #1)
  • The Man from Murmansk (Karl Adams Espionage Thriller #1)
  • Deadly Crossing (Tom Dugan #3)
  • Forceful Intent (Porter #1)
  • White Russian (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #11)
  • Shattered Triangle
  • Artifacts of Death (Manny Rivera, #1)
Puja Guha draws upon her experiences from traveling and living around the world in her writing. She has lived in Kuwait, Toronto, Paris, London, and several American cities including New York, Washington DC, and San Francisco. Each of these places and many more show up in her writing as her travel to places such as Mozambique, South Africa, Vietnam, Sudan, Afghanistan, and Guinea-Bissau inspire mo ...more