Start by marking “Hunches in Bunches” as Want to Read:
Hunches in Bunches

Hunches in Bunches

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  977 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
What’s a person to do when there is so much to do? Dr. Seuss adds his signature spin to the age-old dilemma of indecisiveness in his rhyming picture-book classic Hunches in Bunches. Go outside, play video games, eat a pizza, do homework? Whether you have a “four-way hunch,” a “nowhere hunch,” or an “up hunch,” Dr. Seuss and his unmistakable one-of-a-kind advice will ensure ...more
Published October 12th 1982 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hunches in Bunches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunches in Bunches

Neda
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I definitely have fallen in love with this book.. That's because it's really like that when you cannot make up your mind.. Oh these 'Hunches'..
Oh I would have given it ten starts at least...
Jeff
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book disappointed me a little. It's definitely not a bad book and I'm sure many children enjoy it. But it just pales in comparison, in my opinion, with other Dr. Suess greats.

I read "Hunches in Bunches" to some of the preschool-aged children I work with and it didn't go over all to well - and I agreed with them afterward. I understand the concept of hunches, but I think it was lost among the children I read to. It was just a little too odd and goofy to have much of a point. I also thought t
Samantha
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: options
As a little boy decides how to spend his day he is presented with a multitude of options by strange creatures known as Hunches. Each Hunch has a specific purpose such as an Up Hunch goes up while a Down Hunch goes down. In the end, we find out that the Munch Hunch is the best Hunch of all.

Fun rhyming nonsense in full color. I liked studying the facial expressions on the different Hunches. I never read this book as a kid, but reading it as an adult I couldn't help thinking how a busy day at work
Amber the Human
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not one of Seuss' best. I kind of get where he's going and the story he's trying to tell, but it comes off as a little wishy-washy with an unsatisfying ending. He wrote a lot of books, and not all of them are going to be gold. That's okay.
Nojood Alsudairi
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My trouble was I had a mind
ButI couldn't make it up!
I did not know whether I should give this book four stars or five, but then
the repeated nonsense of the cat in the hat made the four win.
Nathan
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Seuss book!
Lisa
Jun 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book didn't flow like the Dr. Seuss books I'm used to reading. I was disappointed in the story line and the lack of quality in the "made-up" words.
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, kids-books
Fairly standard Seuss, but still with moments of inspired hilarity.
Pat
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read it today ...It made me feel like a rhyme...so I did in time to whoopeedopine

It made me feel silly and happy which is just what I needed.....
Timmy
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Boy can't decide what to do.
Boy battles with possible options.
Boy decides to eat lunch.
Story of my life.
Canavan
✭✭✭
Savannah Kerr
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When you don’t know what to do the Hunches in Dr. Seuss’ book will help you out. They like to give many directions and advice to the little boy who doesn’t know quite what to do with his day. They tell him to go out and play, do to his homework, and to go on a walk. Finally he decides he needs many of himself before he can get all the stuff done. At the end he decides to go to the kitchen and eat hotdogs for lunch! Very cute book again with great rhyming. Would work well for a young reader to he ...more
Arwen
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A Dr Seuss hidden gem. I loved this tale about a boy who couldn't make up his mind of what to do, and the hunches that materialize from his indecision. Perfect to read to kids during summer when they may feel the same way.
Sasha Dofflemeyer
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites! I read this with my son all the time. Delightful, whimsical, inspiring, and empowering!
Dave
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sub-standard (and kinda confusing) Seuss about a kid who can’t make up his mind and ultimately decides to just have lunch.

7/10
Michelle McBeth
A young boy is having a difficult time deciding what to do with his time. Suddenly he is bombarded with hunches. And they come in bunches. Each hunch is telling him something different to do. Some of the things they tell him make sense but others do not. In the end, the boy decides to simply go to the kitchen and eat hot dogs.

The illustrations are fun and colorful. Each hunch has a different and silly hat.

The story concept is a good one. But it is not executed with Dr. Seuss' typical bouncy and
Becky
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
First sentence: Do you ever sit and fidget when you don't know what to do...? Everybody gets the fidgets. Even me and even you.

Premise/plot: A young boy has a terrible time deciding how to spend his time that day. Readers meet dozens of creatures called hunches. One hunch, for example, might be telling him to PLAY OUTSIDE while another hunch is telling him he should do his homework, while yet another hunch is telling him to go to the bathroom. Every few minutes readers meet ANOTHER hunch with a
Dolly
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, rhyming, 2013
With crazy, made-up creatures and a rhythmic, rhyming narrative, this is a very typical story by Dr. Seuss. The story is humorous and it's a fun book to read aloud.

We have been searching for any of his books that we haven't yet read - I didn't realize just how many books he wrote! I thought I'd read all of his books when I was a kid, but I was wrong!
ZaBeth  Marsh
First off, this book wasn't published until 1982 so I couldn't have read it as a child if I wanted to; but that in of itself surprised me because I didn't realize that Dr Seuss was still writing in the 80's.
The simple storyline is a classic. The artwork is classic. But I found the ending a bit of a let down. It is probably a accurate choice for a boy to make but I had hoped for something more imaginative.
Justin  K. Rivers
Jan 22, 2010 rated it liked it
The concept is very interesting, and even disturbing. Seuss departs from his traditional meter, to a jarring effect. But the urgency of plot is undermined by the niceness on the surface. It's as if Seuss has something important to say but is afraid to bare those unvarnished demons of truth.
Cara
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another Dr. Seuss book I'd never heard of before reading it.
I like this one because it had a theme behind and not just senseless nonsense. It's about how only you as the reader can truly make you up mind about something you want to do regardless of any outside influences or distractions.
April
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Joshua Kennedy
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Before I could even answer him,
a new voice interrupted.
"That mind of yours," I heard him say,
"is frightfully ga-fluppted.
Your mind is murky-mooshy!
Will you make it up? Or won't you?
If you won't, you are a wonter!
Do you understand, or don't you?"
Jun 20, 2008 rated it liked it
A crazy little book, and yet, so typical Dr. Seuss. This book was fairly enjoyable, but not the best Dr. Seuss book I've read.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Julie
This one reminded me of The Cat in the Hat, with the Hunches suggesting that the boy do different things reminiscent of Things One and Two and the Cat tempting Sally and her brother to mischief. Really, a neat little story about decision making when you have a plethora of choices.
Megan
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Clever one. It's a little scary though because it seems to describe my crazy brain perfectly: the Four-Way hunch, The nowhere hunch and the Munch Hunch particularly! Dr. Seuss has such a great sense of humor.
Karen
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my six-year-old son last night. His verdict was "weird book; great pictures". There is not too much more I can add to that except that, out of all the Dr. Seuss books I've read, this one is my least favorite.
Lance Cotton
I kept feeling there were drug references in this story and I had a hard time explaining that the hunches were mental options (to my daughter).

Far out, even for Dr. Suess.

...and haven't we met the Snuv's and the schlopp in The Lorax?

Weird.
Karissa
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love Dr. Seuss! I thought it would be neat to do an author study and use some of his not as popular classics. It would be neat to compare/contrast the themes, illustrations and words amongst his books. This is a good one that talks about making up your mind.
Tracey
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really do love Dr. Seuss books, but sadly this one was very disappointing. It was as if The Cat in the Hat came back to haunt you as Hunches in Bunches. I could not wait to finish the book and sadly would not be recommending it to any of my students to read.
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • What Grandmas Do Best / What Grandpas Do Best
  • The Boy on Fairfield Street
  • Harold's Purple Crayon Treasury
  • Robot Zot!
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Uncle Jed's Barbershop