Start by marking “God for Us: The Trinity and Christian Life” as Want to Read:
God for Us: The Trinity and Christian Life

God for Us: The Trinity and Christian Life

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  118 ratings  ·  10 reviews
An extraordinary work that revitalizes theology and Christian life by recovering the early roots of Trinitarian doctrine and exploring the enduringly practical dimensions of faith in God as a community of persons.
Published June 11th 1993 by HarperOne (first published January 1992)

To ask other readers questions about God for Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God for Us

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of God for Us: The Trinity and Christian Life
M Christopher
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Possibly the clearest, most helpful book I've read on the subject of the Trinity; well worth a careful read during a busy time (which is why it took me so long to finish).

Gone from this life at far too young an age, Ms. LaCugna did an excellent job of tracing the development of trinitarian theology from the time of the early Church through the scholastic movements in Catholicism and Orthodoxy. Her book shows how the successful defense of Trinitarianism against Arianism and other heresies
Marc
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Catherine Mowry LaCugna - a Catholic theologian who passed from this life - it seems to me and many - much too soon. it is however somewhat poetic that prior to her death, she passed on to us a remarkable historical and synthetic work on the core issues of the doctrine of the Trinity for contemporary believers.

In "God For Us," LaCugna deftly argues for a re-claiming of the doctrine of the Trinity from the desutude into which it had fallen as the result of historical circumstances that gave it
Jacob Aitken
Argues that developing theological reflection slowly separated economy from theology, which made the Trinity appear more and more irrelevant. I am not sure about her thesis in the specifics, but I think she is on to something: positing an ontological God apart from God’s decision to redeem the world in Christ does create a metaphysical gap in God. Like others before her, she seeks to correlate the pattern of God’s salvation in history with the being of God (Lacugna 4).

Introduction and Chapter 1
Jamey Yadon
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I really wanted to give this book four stars, but I think it could have been much shorter. That being said, LaCugna's case is compelling and illuminating. The doctrine of the Trinity is important for Christian teaching and living, and LaCugna traces the history that made it seem so remote and speculative. She also sets us up to put trinitarian language and thinking back where they belong: in our prayers, sermons, and meditation.
Cappy
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
"[Iranaeus] uses the image that Christ and the Spirit are the two 'hands' of God the Father who do God's work in creation (pg. 26)."

"Tertullian was the first to use the Latin word 'trinitas' (pg. 29)."

"If Christian theology had let go the insistence on God's impassibility and affirmed God suffers in Christ, it could have kept together, against Arianism, the essential unity and identity between the being of God and the being of Christ (pg. 43)."

"But knowledge of the [plan of salvation] is still
Jan Petrozzi
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book challenging to read. However, LaCugna appears to be a popular authority on the Trinity. She has written a book that brings the Trinity to the forefront where it belongs.
Matt Hale
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Modern classic. Overstated and lacking nuance in some places.
Robert D. Cornwall
I don't know why it took me so long to pick up this book, published more than two decades ago, but it has proven to be revelatory. Catherine Mowry LaCugna provides us with a thoughtful and provocative exposition of the Trinitarian faith, showing that the immanent Trinity (God in God's self) cannot be known except through God's economy of salvation. She demonstrates with great coherence that we know God's being (ousia) in God's persons as Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Because we know God in terms of ...more
Steve
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Not an easy read. Essentially, the first half tells the history of the Christian Trinity and how it became essentially irrelevant to living a Christian Life. Lacugna cites one author (whom I don't remember) as saying "If the concept of the trinity were eliminated, most Christian writing of the 20th century would not be affected." As I understand it, Lacugna's thesis is that the Trinity shows how God is relational and active in the world and, since humanity is created in the image of God, ...more
Elisabeth
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One needs time to carefully read this, especially as a relative novitiate to formal theological study. It is worth every moment and is staying on my shelves for later study and devotional reading.
Yancy Smith

• God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism
  • Christian Meditation: Experiencing the Presence of God
  • The Radical King
  • Bedtime Stories: 8 Timeless Tales by Margaret Wise Brown
  • The Hope of Eternal Life: Common Statement of the Eleventh Round of the U.S. Lutheran-Catholic Dialogue
  • The Divine Dance: The Trinity and Your Transformation
  • Holy Grounds: The Surprising Connection between Coffee and Faith—From Dancing Goats to Satan's Drink
  • Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to God, a Broken Mother's Search for Hope
  • Grumpy Monkey