Start by marking “Wheels Up: Sky Jinks in the Jet age” as Want to Read:
Wheels Up: Sky Jinks in the Jet age

Wheels Up: Sky Jinks in the Jet age

WHEELS UP (Sky Jinks in the Jet Age), contains 22 stories, mostly, about airline crew members and their jokes, entanglements and predicaments. Many are hilariously funny; a few are gut wrenching; several are about failure and redemption. The author is a participant in every story and they all are true.
Published September 2014 by Joggling Board Press (first published May 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Wheels Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wheels Up

Diane
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wheels Up: Sky Jinks in the Jet Age is an unexpected treat: unexpected because of its humor. But when you look at the cover art (which shows a pilot poking up through a little hole in his aircraft's roof to wave at the camera) and read the book's subtitle, these are definitely clues that the contents of Wheels Up holds more than just a story of flying big planes.

Oh, this piece is there, of course: but the purpose here isn't to provide a serious account of exploits and air encounters: it's to chr
David
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads. A great read that had me laughing hysterically and grabbed my attention from page one and didn't let go. It brought back memories of my career and of my trek to the flightline as an Air Force "One Striper" for a gallon of AB (afterburner) exhaust and hearing other stories like young Security Police in need of disposable sterile tips for breathalyzers being sent to all corners of the base hospital asking for a box of Fallopian tubes. ...more
Tim
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What did I think? I loved this book! If you have a love for aviation and the fun you should have in life this is a wonderful book. I received this book as a giveaway here on Goodreads. I opened it at about 6pm on Friday night and was hooked after the prologue and didn't put it down until 3am when I finished. I just couldn't wait to see what fun happened in the next chapter. Thank you so much for the book and the stories shared in Wheels Up.
Sonja
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good, interesting and fun book. It is also very easy to read. I like this book very much.
Mo
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very amusing stories by someone who was there. I laughed, and that's high praise.
Liz
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
When I saw this book available through giveaways, I wanted to read it since I have a son who is an airline pilot. I was pleased to win a copy and get some idea what could be so funny in the cockpit.
The book is set up with each chapter a different episode of the author's antics before, during and after he was a pilot. The antics were most often "jokes" he plays on other people. I have always wondered about certain people that think themselves free to trick others into worry and humiliation. I
Bill
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I won an advanced reading copy paperback of “WHEELS UP (Sky Jinks in the Jet Age)”, a collection of short tales by Steve Taylor, on Goodreads.com and am posting an honest review. I gave it a rating of 3 stars.

Taylor relates 22 brief stories about his early desire to become a pilot, his time at The Citadel, his stint as an Air Force pilot, his career as a Delta Airlines pilot, and his retirement years. Some are anecdotes, some are pranks he pulled alone or with co-conspirators, and others are acc
Adam
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book from Goodreads' First Reads giveaways, with the request I write a review, but the opinions below are my own and not influenced by anyone else.

I'd give this book 3.5 stars, and am therefore rounding up. Overall, the author spins wonderful tales, but, given the title of the book, I would have preferred more of a focus on the behind-the-scenes look at air travel from the vantage point that only a commercial airline pilot can provide. While there are numerous and hum
Corey
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received this as a First Reads giveaway.

I liked this book, its exactly as advertised, a bunch of stories from the long career and personal life of a pilot. Much of the book details practical jokes that he was involved in, usually as the culprit! There were several moments that had me laughing out loud, including one that was so hysterical I had to put the book down and walk away to give myself a moment before continuing.

I am not one for practical jokes normally, but I'm not here to judge anythin
Linda Marie Marsh
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I may be a wee bit prejudiced here, having been the wife of a pilot, and having worked at a flight school/ FBO myself....but i think this book would bring a smile to anyone even remotely connected to flight. Whether a pilot yourself, a spouse or a passenger you'll gain some insight into the mindset of the man at the controls.

WHEELS UP is a lighthearted look at the life of Steve Taylor, before during and after flying for a living. I think we put these guys on pedestals...they DO know their stuff.
Travis
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a giveaway from goodreads.

3.5 stars, so I rounded up. I enjoyed Mr Taylor's collection of stories for the most part. My only critique is that the title of the book, Wheels Up: Sky Jinks in the Jet Age, was a bit misleading. I expected more inside the flight industry stuff but the book is more of a collection of pranks an shenanigans that the author played out over both his career and personal life. But, in the end, the stories were enjoyable so, 4 stars for this one.
Stephanie Hatch
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this book from goodreads first reads. I wasn't really sure what I was getting into when I got this book but I'm very glad I got the chance to read it. The whole thing is riddled with pilot humor at its fines. I did anticipate it having more flying or aviation related stories than it did so I was slightly disappointed but the slice of life memoir was still very pleasant and fun to read. The author is a wonderful storyteller and that really comes out in the writing.
LeeAnn
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Received this book via GoodReads, and what a fun romp it was to read! Even the parts that were "serious" were so funny! I often "lol"ed, I couldn't help myself! From the very first moment I opened the book, I could tell this was going to be a great read, and it was. Other memoirists should take a hint from Taylor -- THIS is the way to write your autobiography!
Kerri
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads.

With few exceptions, I truly enjoyed all the anecdotes contained within. The author's love of his profession was clear from the first page. While some of the stories didn't impress me that much (some of the pranks played seemed extremely childish), overall I thought it was a great compilation.

Jessica
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads' First Reads.

This book was a light, quick, and easy read about being a pilot. Some of the stories are more personal, in which flying doesn't play a prominent role. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed all the stories.
Barbara
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wheels up: Sky Jinks in the Jet age
by goodreads author: Captain Steve Taylor

This was a very easy read , that kept me smiling as I turned the pages. Taylor's
reputation as a practical joker , Delta pilot, and Air Force shows how much he really enjoyed life and flying. I love the book!
Melissa Pomeroy
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting story of a airline pilot I got from Goodreads First Reads. An inside look at a pilot's life.
Becky Roper
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
An airline pilot retells his practical jokes on flight crews, other pilots etc. I grew to dislike the author the more I read. He seems stuck as a 10 year old.
Mostly a waste of time.
Darren Brown
Apr 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
What a load of crap. The parts of the book that were actually aviation related were fine, but the rest of it was about a redneck being an idiot.
Tracy
Jul 19, 2014
Chuckdee
Apr 07, 2016
Roxanne
rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2016
Paul Kilmer
Jul 26, 2015
Steve Taylor
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
  • Sagittarius Rising
  • With Wings Like Eagles: A History of the Battle of Britain
  • Fiskers meets Santa Claus (Fiskers field mouse, #1)
  • The Star Stone, the Chair, & the Dog (Secrets of the Star Stone Society, #1)
  • The Anatomy of Courage
  • Hacking Human Nature for Good: A Practical Guide to Changing Human Behavior
  • A Pearl's Anointing: The Process of Agitation Has the Gift of Producing Pearls
  • Rani in Search of a Rainbow
  • Sand Dunes
  • Escaping The Wheel
  • Travels with King Kong: Overland Across Africa
  • 9,000 Miles of Fatherhood
  • I Have No Book, I Am Too Small.
  • What the Wind Blew in: Even the Desert Needs a Herder
1 follower
STEVE TAYLOR was raised on a farm in Mt. Pleasant, S.C. He is a 1960 graduate of The Citadel with a degree in civil engineering, and he served six years as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force with service in Vietnam. Following a long flying career, he retired as an international airline captain. Taylor has been a solo ocean sailor and holds a U.S. Coast Guard captain's license. He has owned and operated ...more