Start by marking “The Global Village: Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
The Global Village: Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st Century

The Global Village: Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st Century

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Extending the visionary early work of the late Marshall McLuhan, The Global Village, one of his last collaborative efforts, applies that vision to today's worldwide, integrated electronic network. When McLuhan's groundbreaking Understanding Media was published in 1964, the media as we know it today did not exist. But McLuhan's argument, that the technological extensions of ...more
Published September 1st 1992 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Global Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Global Village

Fawls13
May 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Old people
Once I actually sat down and read this book it turned out to be one of the best books I have ever read. For me it was a different view of the world, with an excellent foundational layout to give it logic. I read it a while ago and though there are some specifics 'predictions' in it that have not held up the basic theories and reasoning around them remain insightful.

The downside is that it's sort of written like a textbook. A little easier to read, but it's not a novel or story. It also might not
David Balfour
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my_reviews
Orientalism and Pop Psychology
This is an extremely dated hippie book, jam-packed with cheesy Orientalism and the worst of pop psychology. According to McLuhan and Powers, the mysterious East is so perfect - so Tao. Us Brutish Westerners would never understand, but our continued survival depends on it. They take the left-brain right-brain thing to a ridiculous extreme. There is literally a chart in here connecting the word ‘spiritual’ to one part of the brain. I mean - what? They're so specific a
Debbie Morrison
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Global Village, published posthumously is one of Marshall McLuhan's best works (1989). The book, a collaborative effort with McLuhan's long-time friend and colleague Bruce Powers, summarizes McLuhan's lifelong exploration and analysis of media, culture and man's relationship with technology. McLuhan was a media philosopher, author, professor, scholar and is best known for coining the term the medium is the message.

McLuhan's books are challenging reads, which is why I persevered and read the
Stephen
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
For me, this was my first encounter with the term “global village,” and in this context it's a world linked through electronic technologies. Call it a shot across the bow. It came in the late 1980s, long before the world wide web. And today, here I sit, in effect, talking to the world through my laptop computer.

As a Thoreauian nature boy, this linkage scared me because of what might be lost in the transition. It brought to mind images of the Borg, the beehive-like aliens on “Star Trek: the Next
Federico Trejos
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Vital vital vital read for understanding the world and technology of today, how to use media and how it influences us, both consciously and unconsciously, the both hemispheres alignment of the brain, the ongoing changes. Absolutely prophetic best along with Understanding Media. Technical yet approachable and useable in everyday life, assuming the moment, the realities out there, being crafted constantly. Sort of mad and genius..
Mica
Sep 17, 2007 is currently reading it
I love media theory. I am a geek for it.
I am taking my time reading this not because it's particularly heavy - although it is more dense than some of his other works - but because I am savoring the words. These are the kinds of words that inspire me to make things and think differently about the world around me. I'll update this when I have more thoughts...
Kevin
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
A good read, I was pleasantly surprised to find many intriguing ideas presented in true McLuhan fashion. I found this to be a much more accessible read than Understanding Media with many more clear applications and examples. While many of the concepts may show their age, I was amazed to find that the majority still apply some 20-30 years later now.
Nick Mather
It is amazing how prescient McLuhan was. Some of this text reads like prophecy. The Global Village, as McLuhan imagined it, wasn't the utopia most people assume. There is much to think about in this text and it demands more than one reading.
Alberto Martinell
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manera particular de ver el mundo es la de McLuhan; y aunque BRP ayuda a explicar las ideas de tétrade, cliché, arquetipo, visual, acústico, sincrónico y diacrónico, su pensamiento es complejo y difícil de digerir. Buen libro
Liliyah
May 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
ternyata semua perkembangan teknologi informasi dan komunikasi yg terjadi saat ini sudah diramalkan berpuluh tahun yg lalu.
Indra
Torill Mortensen
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Life on the Screen
  • The Age of Access: The New Culture of Hypercapitalism, Where All of Life Is a Paid-For Experience
  • Marshall McLuhan: You Know Nothing of My Work!
  • Orality and Literacy: The Technologizing of the Word
  • Software Takes Command
  • I Seem To Be A Verb
  • Technics and Civilization
  • The Warhol Economy: How Fashion, Art, and Music Drive New York City
  • Virtual Reality: The Revolutionary Technology of Computer-Generated Artificial Worlds-And How It Promises to Transform Society
  • The Philosopher's Table: How to Start Your Philosophy Dinner Club - Monthly Conversation, Music, and Reci pes
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • Fashion, Culture, and Identity
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • Chatter: Dispatches from the Secret World of Global Eavesdropping
Herbert Marshall McLuhan, CC, was a Canadian educator, philosopher, and scholar — a professor of English literature, a literary critic, and a communications theorist. McLuhan's work is viewed as one of the cornerstones of the study of media theory. McLuhan is known for coining the expressions "the medium is the message" and the "global village".

More about Marshall McLuhan...

“The greatest discovery of the 21st century will be the discovery that Man was not meant to live at the speed of light.” 6 likes
“No se puede vivir en un mundo interior del circuito eléctrico y mantener la letra escrita. La electricidad destruye la individualidad. (…) El individuo privado no se siente cómodo en condiciones eléctricas. Está demasiado cercano a los demás individuos y pierde su identidad. Es un hombre en la multitud, no es nadie, y debe luchar para demostrar que es alguien. Por tanto, a más electricidad mayor violencia. La gente no lucha porque odie a los demás, sino para demostrar que posee una identidad propia.” 0 likes