Start by marking “Little Black Lies (Zoe Goldman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Little Black Lies (Zoe Goldman, #1)

Little Black Lies

(Zoe Goldman #1)

She helps people conquer their demons. But she has a few of her own...

In the halls of the psychiatric ward, Dr. Zoe Goldman is a resident in training, dedicated to helping troubled patients. However, she has plenty of baggage of her own. When her newest patient arrives - a beautiful sociopath who murdered her mother - Zoe becomes obsessed with questions about her own mothe
Published February 17th 2015 by Grand Central Publishing (first published December 2nd 2014)

Start your review of Little Black Lies (Zoe Goldman, #1)
Mary Beth
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I won book 3 in a book giveaway of this series. Since this was a series, I decided to start with book 1. I really did enjoy this book. I found it very interesting. I almost gave this four stars but found the beginning to be a little slow but the second half is extremely excellent. I ended up loving this book. This is a great read for anyone who loves
a fast paced and completely engrossing psychological thriller, once you have gotten through half the book. There are many dark twists and
Barbara
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it

Dr. Zoe Goldman, a psychiatric resident in a Buffalo hospital, has some problems. She has ADHD, controlled with medication; her adoptive mom is in a nursing home, suffering from dementia; her boyfriend, Jean Luc - a chemist in Washington, D.C. - seems to be distancing himself from her; and she has recurring nightmares about the night her birth mother died in a fire. In the disturbing dream Zoe is a little girl hiding from someone in a burning house.

Zoe, who was four years old when she lost her b
Margitte
This was a great psychological thriller. Spooky and believable.

The nutty, flawed, insecure and little crazy psychiatrist, Dr. Zoe Goldman, is looking for her mother(s) - supposedly Sarah Meyers, Beth Summers... But wait a minute! There's a Beth Winters too!

One dies in a fire, and one is slowly giving up life through dementia (early onset Alzheimers). She needs to figure out the confusing, recurring dream. Unbeknownst to her, she might get killed for not knowing the truth about her background.

The
Jean
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lies. When do white lies become black lies? When do the protective little lies that (m)others tell us become the lies we tell ourselves? I did a double-take when I saw the title of Sandra Block’s book featuring psychiatric resident Zoe Goldman, Little Black Lies, as one of my favorite authors, also named Sandra, has a thriller by the same name. This one is quite different.

Dr. Goldman is assigned a small caseload of patients in a Buffalo, New York, psychiatric ward. Along with several other resid
Sue
When I got approved for reading and reviewing, “The Girl Without a Name” by Sandra Block, though Netgalley, I felt in order to do it justice, I should start with her debut novel, called “Little Black Lies”. This is the review of “Little Black Lies”, her debut novel, a totally involving psychological suspense novel, based on dark secrets, and lies.

Dr. Zoe Goldman, a psychiatry resident at a Buffalo, N.Y., hospital, suffers from ADHD, and a troubled past. Her biological mother, died in a fire…for
Erin
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
I actually went and revised my review of Book 2 based on my increased reading pleasure with Little Black Lies. I now believe book 2 to be interesting, but a disappointing follow up. Perhaps because the story in this book was more personal. Dr .Zoe Goldman, a psychiatric medical resident, is interested in learning more about her past. Who was her birth mother? Why is Zoe having nightmares? Who is the woman named Tanya that her adoptive mother keeps talking about?

The plot was a bit more fast paced
Sue
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, thrillers

This is the first book I have read by this author and wouldn't have known about this but for Net Galley. I love a good thriller sometimes and this one was based around a psychiatric hospital, along with the differing patients and their mental health along with the varied psychiatric staff.

Dr. Zoe Goldman is one of the main trainee residence, if not 'the' main one on the staff there that we come to meet and get to know, she has many things in her past that she wants to discover and uncover. It wa
Kaitlin
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book caught me off guard a little. It started off much lighter than most mysteries I read. Meaning not with a murder or traumatic event. It jumped right into life in the psychiatry ward of a Buffalo hospital and its colorful cast of doctors. Dr. Zoe Goldman, one of those psychiatrists, is our main character. Extremely tall, as referenced throughout the book, adopted at the young age of four by her mother’s best friend, and in a relationship with the “Frenchman”, Zoe has some issues of her o ...more
Laura Rash
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book & can't wait for the next one! ...more
Tiffy
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy freaking crap. Just when I thought I had everything figured out Block throws in a HUGE plot twist that almost had me jumping out of my seat. I totally did not see it coming. Well written and a suspenseful page turner. Definitely will be reading more of her books.
Karyn Niedert
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
RELEASE DATE: February 17, 2015

RATING: 2 Stars Maybe, if you can check it out at the library for free

GENRE: Women’s Fiction / Mystery and Suspense

AUDIENCE: Fans of Jonathan Kellerman may enjoy this book.

SERIES: Standalone

SUMMARY: Blurb from Netgalley: “From first-time novelist Sandra Block, a gripping pageturner about a psychiatrist determined to discover the truth about her past.”

REVIEW: Immediate problems I had with this book are plentiful. Zoe is supposed to be plain, average, and a little t
Judy D Collins
Sandra Block introduces an intriguing new complex character, Dr. Zoe Goldman, with her debut, LITTLE BLACK LIES -- A gripping psychological suspense of a tragic past, suppressed memories, family, dark secrets, and lies.

Black lies involve an underlying secret that is hidden with lies, deception and secrecy.

Dr. Zoe Goldman, a psychiatry resident at a Buffalo, N.Y., hospital, suffers from ADHD, with a number of personal issues. She is haunted by her past. Her biological mother, died in a fire, a t
Krystin Rachel
"Gorillas in the dining room. Dinosaurs in the backyard. That's the least of it. The truth is, we are all a little crazy."

I really liked this book. Really. I liked the secondary characters and all their unique personalities that came to life with small, but well thought out details. I liked the pacing of each chapter and each milestone. I like the narrator's voice, and the easy-breezy quality of the storytelling, despite the serious subject matter. I was utterly engaged in everything that wa
Lisa
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a happy accident. Kandice has been telling me about a book she loved called "Little Black Lies". So I went on Audible, typed in the title, and this is the only thing that came up. I bought it. I started listening to it. And though it had my attention, I knew it wasn't a Kandice-type-book, at least not a Kandice-five-star book. So I checked and low an behold, this is a totally different book. HA! (Turns out that the one Kandice loved isn't even available to us readers in the states) ...more
Annie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Zoe, a resident in training in a psych ward, has her own set of issues to deal with -- a recurring nightmare from her childhood, questions about her birth mother and how she died, a not-so-great boyfriend, etc. Her main patient has a LOT of problems since she is in the psych ward for murdering her mom when she was 14. I couldn't put this one down, although there were parts that weren't as interesting for me, and left me anxious to get back to the good stuff. The twist at the end is a doozy. I do ...more
Jessica Woodbury
This is a 3-star read that ended up getting bumped down to 2 in the final chapters. It starts out with a lot of promise: menacing suspense about Zoe's memories that she's somehow suppressed but are now popping up in her dreams. A psych resident, Zoe is also fascinated by a young woman who's spent most of her life in the psych ward after killing her mother.

Unfortunately Block's writing occasionally felt a little flat, but then I kept getting pulled out of the story by little screw-ups. She nails
Icewineanne
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
This is an enjoyable story about a resident trainee psychiatrist. Although it is a mystery, that seems to be almost secondary to the story of the main character's (Zoe) life as a resident in a Buffalo area hospital.
A large focus is on the relationships that she has with her co-workers, patients, and her adoptive mother, who is now in a nursing home with dementia.

The mystery involves a mysterious dream that keeps haunting Zoe and the questions about her natural mother's death. Although the myst
Albert
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Little Black Lies by Sandra Block is a psychological thriller that sets a tempo and pace that will draw you in slowly until like a literary anaconda, it takes you in its coils and squeezes you until it makes you its own. Tense and powerful. Little Black Lies heralds a new series by a talented new voice in this genre. One that takes her place, with authority in the genre.

"...She rubs her arms. 'I'm getting cold, honey. Ready to go back in?'
'Sure,' I say, fighting a yawn. I have to get home to s
Gina
This is just an ok book about a psychiatrist, Zoe Goldman, who was raised by adoptive parents after, what she was told, her real mother died in a fire. Now Zoe's adoptive mother is fading away into dementia and for some reason Zoe begins doubting the story about her birth mother. As her adoptive mother's memories fade, and as Zoe finds clues that show her that the story just doesn't add up, she is in a race to find out who her real mother is before it's too late.

While trying to figure out her o
Heather
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved this book and highly recommend it. It doesn't come out until February, so you have a chance to buy it ahead of time now. I was lucky enough to receive and Advanced Reading Copy. The story takes place mostly in a psychiatric ward with Dr. Zoe Goldman, a resident in training, as the heroine. Not only is she faced with problem patients daily, but she has her own skeletons in the closet. She wants to know what exactly happened to her birth mother. Her adoptive mother knows or knew, bu ...more
Kate Moretti
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love any type of psychological thriller, but this one actually took place in a psych hospital so it gave it that extra little oomph for me. Dr. Zoe Goldman is an exceptional character: whip smart with a little bit of sass, but flawed. Clearly Block knows her psychiatric disorders (she IS a neurologist, after all). The mystery was compelling and the writing was top notch! Loved this book!
Maureen DeLuca
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was just OK for me. Nothing special xx
Tamara
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review Originally Posted:Traveling With T

This book was sent to Traveling With T for review consideration.

Little Black Lies

Dr. Zoe Goldman is a resident in training at the local psychiatric ward. Helping people is something that gives her joy- and she feels that she is good at her job. Even though she definitely picks up on the fact that one her supervisors is not always her biggest fan.

When Zoe meets Sophia Vallano- her newest patient- she has a dislike to the girl. But she puts on a professiona
Kathryn in FL
Sandra Block has created an interesting character in Zoe, who is doing her residency in psychiatry at a Buffalo hospital. Zoe has returned to the area to be closer to her brother, Scotty and her adoptive mother, who has dementia and lives in a memory care facility. In this first book (in a series), Zoe is trying to unlock the secrets of her patient, Sofia, who murdered her family without ever stating her motive. Zoe is also trying to use therapy with Sam to unlock her blocked memory of a fire th ...more
Kelly
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel and am looking forward to reading the next in the series. Zoe Goldman is working in Buffalo as a psychiatric resident. She is haunted by dreams of a fire where she lost her mother. Zoe was raised by an adoptive mother, but can remember very little about her biological family. She is struggling with this, the loss of a boyfriends, and her ADHD. I think there was a little too much emphasis on the ADHD. I found it annoying at times. Otherwise, this book moved a ...more
Eileen Goudge
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing & Absorbing

I love when I discover a new series and I know midway through the first book I'll want to read all the rest. Such was the case with my introduction to the Zoe Goldman series. I was intrigued by the setting, written by an author who obviously knows psychiatric residency well, and was quickly caught up in the story. I didn't see the surprise twist coming at the end, and I'm usually good at guessing endings. Highly recommended for anyone who loves a good story.
Ali Mark
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read more reviews at http://alisbooklife.wix.com/freeyourread

Zoe finds herself at the start of her career working on the psych-ward. But when she moves home, she is reminded of the fire that took the life of her mother, and so she begins on a journey with her psychiatrist, her brother and mom, and the on-again-off-again boyfriend. But what she discovers on the search to find out about her biological family could put her life in extreme danger.

Goodreads readers ranked this book a 3.77 and I'd rec
Serenity
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
*Received through Goodreads First Reads*

Did anyone else figure out the big twist way before it was actually revealed? All of those clues.

Despite the fact that I figured out the twist before I was meant to I still really loved this book. A new favorite for sure. It was well written and I loved all of the characters. It was amazing how everything tied together— the author definitely thought it through and explained everything very well.

Sheila
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to review this one without giving up the plot. Dr. Goldman who has issues of her own stemming from a childhood trauma is treating psych patien.ts and one in particular, Sophia. I in all honesty thought the first 3/4 of the book went kind of slow but the last 1/4 was super!
Lisa-Books Smiles
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!! I just ordered her 2nd book and pre-order the 3rd book that is coming our April 2017.
Play Book Tag: [Poll] Little Black Lies by Sandra Block, 4 stars 3 9 Apr 30, 2020 09:33PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Little Black Lies by Sandra Block 1 7 Nov 01, 2015 01:51PM

• Oceans Apart
  • Odds Against (Sid Halley, #1)
  • No Place to Die (Murder in the Keys, #1)
  • Little Black Lies
  • When We Were Animals
  • How Will I Know You?
  • One by One
  • The Hired Man's Christmas
  • Hacker (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
  • House of Shadows (The Victorian Gothic Collection Book 1)
  • Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10)
  • The Wicked Sister
  • Girl at the Edge
  • Ghosts of Harvard
  • The Vanishing of Katharina Linden
  • No Fixed Line (Kate Shugak #22)
  • Love on Beach Avenue (The Sunshine Sisters, #1)
  • The Ex Boyfriend

Zoe Goldman (3 books)
  • The Girl Without a Name (Zoe Goldman, #2)
  • The Secret Room (Zoe Goldman, #3)