Start by marking “For the Love of Pete” as Want to Read:
For the Love of Pete

For the Love of Pete

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN OPPOSITES ATTRACT?
Free-spirited Zoey Addler is about to hijack a federal agent. And not just any federal agent, but very Special Agent Dante Torelli, a man whose designer suits and Italian shoes are more GQ than FBI. But when her baby niece, Pete, is snatched right in front of her eyes, Zoey doesn't hesitate to scramble into Dante's spotless BMW. She
Published February 24th 2015 by Forever (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about For the Love of Pete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Love of Pete

Start your review of For the Love of Pete
Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Jan09

I had a good time reading “For The Love of Pete”. No tears, no frowns, not even sniffles. Just smiles, laughter, and a happily ever after! (Oh wow, that rhymed!) Julia Harper’s latest is a charming blend of humor and romance, with the added spice of some action and suspense. But nothing too ‘heavy’--oh no, instead it’s a feel good read from beginning to end.

Zoey cannot believe what she’s seeing. Mr. Lips of Sin himself is trying to take HER
Kelly Moran
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
Author, Julia Harper grew up in St. Paul, Minnesota, then went to college at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where she majored in anthropology and took Shakespeare classes for fun. Julia now resides in central Illinois. This title, For the Love of Pete, follows her other title, Hot.
FBI Special Agent Dante Torelli’s mission was to keep a federal witness to the Chicago mob and his family safe until he could testify. Secretly though, he was brought in undercover for the FBI to draw out a
Ladiibbug
Light Romantic Suspense

Author aka Elizabeth Hoyt, historical fiction

Julia Harper's romantic suspense debut novel, Hot, was fabulous! Hot was a solid five stars, as was each of Elizabeth Hoyt's Prince trilogy books.

Much as I hate, hate, hate to say this, I just didn't enjoy For The Love of Pete :-(. I had such high hopes for the brand new release ... but never really connected to any of the characters. I didn't find Dante or Zoey that likeable or interesting. The plot was there, but it also
Robin
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
FBI Special Agent Dante Torelli is tasked with keeping FBI informant Ricky Spinoza, his girlfriend Nickie, and daughter Pete, safe from the mob. He is also working undercover to find a corrupt agent. When the other FBI agents watching the Spinozas are murdered and Pete is kidnapped, Dante and the baby's aunt Zoey are hot on the kidnappers trail. But a major traffic jam, two elderly Indian ladies who hijack the kidnapper's van, and the fact that the police believe Dante is the hitman, causes them ...more
willaful
Oct 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bye, made-me-laugh
Really more 3 1/2 stars, but it ended on a good note, so I'm feeling generous. :-) This story was a bit hard to get into, but by the end was reminding me a little of Donald Westlake's comic caper stories, with bonus hot nookie.
Lisa Kay
Plenty of smiles. Liked the H/h. "Real" secondary characters. Love scenes worked. Nice ending. Can't complain. ...more
Bookaholics
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the Love of Pete by Julia Harper

Contemporary Romance Mass Market Paperback - January 5, 2009

5 Stars

In a typical cold Chicago morning, people are sharking for parking spots, snow is covering window shields and individuals are running late for work. Once in a while, the typical turns into the unusual as detailed in Julia Harper’s For the Love of Pete.

The story begins when Zoey Addler’s freshly snow-cleared parking spot is snatched by Special FBI Agent Dante Torelli. Dante is running
Carol Storm
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Fun book, but I bailed. I'm just not in the mood for the ultra fast pace and the forced comedy!
Katie(babs)
For the Love of Pete is a loony adventure tale about an undercover operation from the FBI that starts this whole ball rolling. There is a kidnapping gone wrong, as well as a mob hit man, who looses his son, while he is on a job. His son is not the kidnapped baby, but just along for the ride because of two Indian women who steal the hit man’s car as payback for threatening them. The kidnapped baby, named Pete, has an aunt who tries to save her niece, along with the help of an FBI agent who had ...more
Cheryl
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sensational, best-selling author, Elizabeth Hoyt does it again. This time as Julia Harper. She brings readers a new romantic, comedy full of adventure and lots of wacky mayhem in For the Love of Pete.

Someone has kidnapped Zoey Addler’s niece, Pete. Zoey will do anything to get her niece back, even if that means putting up with Special Agent Dante Torelli of the FBI. Dante has never had problems with the ladies. He has just never had one jump into the passenger sit of his car and demand he chase
Barbara ★
Special Agent Dante Torelli, gorgeous undercover FBI agent, is hijacked by wacky Zoey Addler immediately following the kidnapping of her neice, Petronella Spicy Hernandez, thankfully nicknamed Pete. (can you imagine going thru life with a name like that?)

Enter Neil, an incompetent (thank God) hitman who brings his own toddler on a hit. And meet Pratima and Savita, two elderly Indian women in saris who steal the kidnappers SUV with their stolen saffron in the back seat along with two toddlers.

Ellyn
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute madcap romance. When a mob thug attacks a witness under Dante Torelli's care and kidnaps the subject's toddler, the FBI agent gives chase with the child's aunt in tow. But when the kidnapper makes a stop and a pair of elderly Indian ladies steal the vehicle with the baby, the zany plot kicks into high gear. The story was fun and the real draw for me were the characters. From the kidnapper who is more afraid of his wife than his mob boss, to the bickering sisters-in-law ...more
Noura
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cuter, sexier and funnier than the first book. Worth reading.

Lots of LOL moments by the very fashionable, cultured (yet secretly dorky) FBI Special Agent Dante Torelli, the quirky poetry writing Zoey Addler aunt to the kidnapped baby girl Pete (yes, Pete is a girl), 2 feisty old Indian ladies bent on getting back their extremely special and expensive saffron that was accidentally stolen by the baby kidnapper, the kidnapper himself - a bungling hitman Neil Sr and other colourful characters.
Jenny Rebecca
I think my main problem with this book is that I keep expecting to read a book by Elizabeth Hoyt and not Julia Harper. Yes, they are the same person, but the writing is different and the stories are more stories than romance. If that makes any sense. It felt very chic-lit esque. I never really felt I got to know the main characters. They would talk about themselves a little, but then bullets would rain down and you'd never get a chance to find out more. And man, where there a lot of bullets. The ...more
Danica Avet
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the Love of Pete was a whacky, zany read. I chuckled throughout the book, all while thinking Dante was H-O-T. Loved this book, really did. The secondary characters were priceless, and the action was fast-paced.
Dee
Jan 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
1.5...I kept hoping it was going to get better - since I like her historical romances under her other name
Lori Mason
Trying to be a romantic suspense? Seemed corny to me.
Heather T
Mar 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Stopped on page 74 and I'll be honest when I say I wish I had stopped MUCH MUCH sooner.
Zoë Miranda
A lot of other reviewers didn't much like how wacky and far-fetched this story was, but I rather liked that aspect of the novel, it was very remenicient of Janet Evanovich, whose story-telling I enjoy very much.
My actual problem with the book was more by way of character development and chemistry. There were also some problematic plot points that rather ruined things for me, which is why I gave it only three stars instead of four or five, like I thought I was going to when I began my journey
Kat
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Valerie Columbia
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 or 4 stars.. I think I like the historical romances more - When she writes under the name Elizabeth Hoyt.

I liked the whole theme of opposites Attract - Because I can relate to it a LOT.

Too many bad guys and extremely far-fetched plot twists.
I didn't want a book version of a Bruce Willis movie -- I wanted a modern Romance book.

I'll try her other modern romances - Julia Harper - & see if they're better / more believable.
Olga Godim
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
That was a mad caper. Mobsters, FBI, a couple of Indian grandmothers, and the heroine, Zoey, all chase after a kidnapped toddler. There are hijacked cars, lots of guns and corpses, illegal spices, and a budding love affair between Zoey and an intrepid FBI agent Dante. All in all, a very satisfactory contemporary romantic suspense with a dash of humor.
Atara
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It was a cute book. It's great if you want a short, fun read with lots of action and romance. And lots of humor. I have to say, I love the Indian ladies. And I think my favorite part of the book was when we meet Ashley for the first time. A little corny, yes, but definitely fun.
Sandra R
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the romp of a book and felt I was right there in the car with them trying to escape the crooked FBI guys and the mob. I felt like I was watching a movie and the snippets (small chapters of between 3 and 7 pages) from other character's POV, made perfect sense. I loved the ending!
Karl Williams
Aug 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Could not get past the first chapter. Novels require some degree of reality-check (they are, after-all, novels) but this book.. the girl was admiring the physique of the guy seconds after the kid was kidnapped.. Really?!
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
It took me a long time to write a review for this book because i've been delaying it forever but in short, i really enjoyed how easily i could get into it, the chemistry between the characters, and even though I don't really like romantic suspense, this one was enjoyable.
B
Review To Come.
Rochelle
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
hokey, but with a decent plot that was funny at times.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy, #3)
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • To Desire a Devil (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #4)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • Wife by Wednesday (The Weekday Brides, #1)
  • Single by Saturday (The Weekday Brides, #4)
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides #2)
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
  • Love Irresistibly (FBI/US Attorney, #4)
  • It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7)
  • The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)
  • Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)
Julia Harper is a pseudonym of Elizabeth Hoyt.

The author of the New York Times bestselling Maiden Lane series and the Legend of the Four Soldiers series as well as the Princes trilogy, Elizabeth Hoyt writes "mesmerizing" (Publishers Weekly) historical romances. She also pens deliciously fun contemporary romances under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota.