Start by marking “Playing in the Rain” as Want to Read:
Playing in the Rain

Playing in the Rain

Ava Lawton can’t believe her run of bad luck. It’s supposed to be an exciting time in her life: fresh out of college, living in a new state, with a new job, and away from her family at last.

But when she’s forced to quit her job, everything falls apart quickly. Suddenly, she’s alone in a crowd, with no one to turn to.

At her lowest point, a stranger gives her a message tha
Published July 1st 2014 (first published May 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Playing in the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing in the Rain

Debra
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it

★★★★ 4 'Silver Lining' Stars

Playing in the Rain is the story of 22 year old Ava Lawton who seems so be having one stroke of bad luck after the other. After having lost her much needed job and source of income, she's all alone in a new city with no friends and no bright hopes for the future. And if that isn't bad enough already, she's also struck in traffic in the middle of a miserable rainy day. And that's when she meets him.

A stranger passes her a note that makes her smile and that will ultimat
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
4,5 BEAUTIFUL STARS

Wow this short novella was a surprise for me! It left me breathless! It was really good! It was sweet, beautiful and emotional! I was completely captivated by Ava and Cody's story! I thought it was a short book however Jane managed to captivate me and give me so many feelings in this book! Especially near the end with the twist which was really a shock for me because I didn't expect it!

description

I had so many feelings there were moments I was laughing and moments I wanted to cry! But
Paige
Oh my heart. As I finished this short story, I could not see through my tears. I honestly thought I'd get through this without crying. Yes the whole story was meaningful and emotional but that ending seemingly came out of nowhere (even though it really didn't) and blew my heart to smithereens. If you're looking for an emotional short story, look no further.
✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ ✝✝
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
 photo 4082104.gif

Playing in the Rain is beautiful emotional real life story. How one person touches our life forever is simply amazing!

I have no further words, this book is touching. Being in UK, this story reminds me about a young strong boy who was in the same situation that has touched many hearts here recently.

If you are in a mood for a real life story, pick this one up! And be ready to have your heart broken! The story line might be predictable but emotionally it is good.

photo tumblr_m9czr1Koad1rutbklo1_500.gif

Happy reading
D x

**ARC provided fo
Smitten's Book Blog

5+ STARS!

Review written back in summer 2014.

Holy, freakin', wow! Oh my goodness!!! Oh, the feels!!!

I never read stand alone novellas. The only time I will ever read a novella is if it is part of a series, and I need to read it to get the full story. And even then, they kinda irritate me. I just don't feel like they have enough page space to fully draw me in and for me to invest in the story and the characters. I never feel the level of emotion that I do with a full length novel. The few that I'v
Plamena
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful! Amazing! Heartbreaking! ***5 Stars***

OMG...I have no idea how to start this review! The story is simply amazing! It made me think...it made me feel...it made me cry...it made me smile!

“It’s about making the most of what you get in life; you know, life deals you lemons so make lemonade and all that happy shit.”

This is a very short and beautiful story about life, love and dealing with your fate
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange of honest review

☆☆☆☆ 4 Playing in the Rain Stars ☆☆☆☆

Playing In The Rain

Playing in the Rain by Jane Harvey-Berrick was just simply BEAUTIFUL!!! There is something about JHB storytelling that can have you glued to your kindle and Playing in the Rain is no exception. In this novella, JHB will capture and tug all the heart strings. She will make you believe to kiss slowly, love deeply, forgive quickly, take chances, give everything, live life to the fullest, and leave no regrets.
Brenna
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yay! It's LIVE on Amazon ➤http://amzn.to/1pGaCnm

Wow… this novella has all the story and emotion of a full length novel and then some!

Ava is having a particularly bad day; she’s just been fired by her grabby, asshole boss and now has to figure out what to do to stay in California, far away from her overprotective family. Then her day begins to look up and it all starts with one little note…
You’re beautiful.

Cody is one of those people that sees the good in everything and has so much life in hi
KAS
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, heck, as I sit here in tears! I went into this book blind, not reading the synopsis and was totally unaware it is a short story, until there was the ending, and ...... well, heck (wiping another tear)! I knew from the prologue I was going to need tissues by the end, but geez, I wish this one was a full length book, as I could not get enough of Cody and Ava.

This was my first book by this author and her writing is phenomenal. I would recommend this to all who love insta-love and a beautifull
Peek At My Book Review
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
RATING: 3.5 STARS

Nice story ♥
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
3.5 - 3.75 LIVE in the Moment Stars!

I cannot say I loved this story...I mean how can you love something so gut wrenchingly sad? Wow, for a short story this packs a huge punch of emotion that had me smiling and shedding tears at the same time. What I can say is that Jane Harvey-Berrick writes beautifully and with great character connection that will have you remembering her book long after the last word is read.

This is the story of a Ava and Cody. Ava's luck has not been good. Far away from home,
-C-
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It’s touching short story. Another thoughtful and heartfelt story from Jane Harvey-Berrick. It was a very fast read and can’t wait for more of her work.

Ava meets with Cody when he was playing with the dog in the rain. And a simple note changes everything.
 “You’re beautiful”

They make together a wish list. What they are going to perform together. This is the story of how their relationship grows with time. And what makes us think of life in general.

"Do what you need to do, Ava, but don't let
Lelyana
*** 5 Emotional wreck stars! ***

Jane is Jane. Couldn't ask for more.

This book is like a song. You won't familiar with the story at once, and then after re-read again, you're getting close and familiar with it.
That's how I feel for a good song that will stay with me for long time, this book did the same to me.

Jane makes us cry, as usual...in a beautiful way.
For a short novella, this book tells all we need about life.

There's laugh.

There's tears.

...and there's life lessons.

This is a sweet, heartbr
The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog
Book Gifted for Honest Review

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheHopelessR...
Blog: http://thehopelessromanticsbookblog.b...

"Playing in the Rain" was actually a novella and so I'm not sure how Jane Harvey-Berrick did it, but she managed to give me a beautiful love story that spanned a whole summer and she put it into around 70 pages without it feeling rushed or crammed. I was completely caught up in Cody and Ava's story. It was profound, heart felt, touching and absolutely inspirational. It
Jan
When I read that this was an ugly cry read I jumped in anyway because I am loving this authors work, each book I read is another Journey.
Playing in the Rain is indeed another journey with the lives of two people but it wasn't just a tearjerker, I was left with snot, tears and felt the heartbreak.

Did I enjoy it though even though I feel heartbroken?
Definitely, yes. I've found books like this that draw out all the emotions stick, and Playing in the rain will definitely stay with me and not just
Funzee Shu
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

*** 4 heart-warming stars ***

description

Sometimes, God sent His message through some strangers you meet coincidentally on streets...
on the rainy days...

But the fact is...
there's no "coincidence" when it's come from God, right?

If there any authors who can make feel addicted to their writings...Jane Harvey-Berrick - no doubt - is definitely one of them !!!

I only have one word to describe what I feel about this book...

Beautiful....

I remember one Chinese phrase when I read this book....

三人行必有我师
sān ré
Anne OK
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
Absolutely mesmerizing and beautiful – simply unforgettable. This novella says more in its short span than some books do in over 300 pages. Bravo to Jane Harvey-Berrick for writing a memorable never-ending love story that lives on forever in the stars.

Sheena Lumsden
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novella by Jane in my opinion was just WOW

The book is about Ava and Cody and everything that happens with these people’s lives.

Ava wanted to live her own life away from her family, start afresh, get a career live her life for herself and no one else, she had a great education moved to California, had the job of her dreams, however, when it all started to fall apart Ava decided to wonder why? What was she going to do now?

Can Cody a young, carefree, fun man change Ava’s life? Will Ava except
April
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
 photo 3994e5fe-d30d-4ee4-8251-2e576a3f6a4a_zpse8e50b15.jpg

This was a very short story, approx. 100 pages and I now I am hugging myself.
Am I doing that cause I`m happy or cause I`m sad.
 photo heart_zps29e2637c.jpg
Well, I don`t really want to give anything away, but this story is the epitome of living your life to the fullest.

Never ever have regrets.

Never fear change.

Do things that you may be afraid of.

Love life. Smile, laugh, cry, shout, dance; just do it all!

Playing in the Rain IS a story; but it`s also a reality, and in reality, life isn`t always filled with sunshine and ro
Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks
Once again Jane made speechless!
I shouldn't be surprised though! No matter the size of the book, true talent canz't be measured!!
This is a short story but I didn't felt left out, she wrote it beautifully and it had everything it should have (and more)!
It made me laugh, cry, smile and fall in love!!
The last line before the epilogue made me smile like a dork!
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
'Playing in the Rain' is a bittersweet little book.

I loved how endearing the lead male was. Boyishly adorable mixed with a life weary sadness. The adventures were fun. The hero and heroine both had a perfect chemistry going on. Friends to lovers with a melancholy atmosphere.

A shame that it felt cut short. Made me laugh and cry, made me feel.

Arabella ~♡AB♡~
4.5 stars. Heartbreaking story about the preciousness of life.

Ends at 60% though, but a well written novella : )
Michele
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even though I suspected where this story was going, it still left me with tears in my eyes and an ache in my heart. We would all do well to remember Cody and Ava’s story about living “your best life.”

”Maybe we can make a lifetime from this moment.”
Rebecca
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Remember playing in the rain as a child? The carefree, amazing feeling you felt when you were splashing in the puddles and laughing as the rain pelted your face. Where does that feeling go when you get older? Maybe the better question is why does it go away? Why does it become more about dodging the rain, going around the puddles? Why is it all about being practical and playing it safe?

If Cody and Ava have taught me anything in Jane Harvey-Berrick’s Playing in the Rain, it’s that life is for the
Meagan
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing

There should be a warning on this book that tells you not to read it in public. It would have saved me from trying to quietly cry my eyes out on a plane back from Book Bash while my neighbor stared at me like a crazy person. Oh and the book should also come with a pack of tissues.

Jane Harvey-Berrick is such an amazing storyteller. Even though this is a rather short novella, she evokes such emotion into her words that you can’t help but become overwhelmed by it. Within a few short paragraphs she

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-read
I have argued with myself on how to rate this book. I went back and forth between 4 and 5 stars. Personally I want a slight change but since it isn’t my story to tell and, Jane Harvey-Berrick is a beautiful writer, I ended giving the book 5 stars.

Jane’s words flow smoothly on the page and tell a lovely story of a chance meeting and how the unexpected can make you look at life differently. No, not just differently but inspire a need to live life to its fullest.

Ava Lawton is a young girl who is
Gabrielle
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
actual rating: 4.5 stars i loved this book so much!! the only thing that bothers me was the fact that the "twist" in the end was so blatantly obvious i saw it coming from the first couple pages and i was surprised that Ava did not see it coming either. Despite the fact that i knew it was coming i cried a bunch i bawled my eyes out and could not stop. This book was so fun and care free and it has a good moral to it. Enjoy life and live it the way you want to and to its fullest. There were so many ...more
Audrey
"Nothing's easy about living, but it's a helluva lot harder if you're miserable while you do it."

Life is full of mystery and a journey. People come and go, situation changed in a blink of an eye. Playing in a rain is a beautiful story that reminded me that you have a choice no matter what life throws at you.

When everything gets tough, when its rain and pouring you can either sulk and be miserable or play in the rain and enjoy the best of the situation.

'Some days diamonds, some days stone.'
Milot
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 live your life and dreams stars

" I love you to the stars and beyond"

Every story I read from this author leaves a special place in my heart. Her writings makes me feel everything liked I'm part of the characters journey. Like I breath everyword and devour every scene.
This novella is another story that Is astonishingly breathtaking. A beautiful story that doesn't need so much words to captures one readers heArt, and this book proves it to me.

Playing in the Rain is a novella that leaves me bre
Annie Brewer
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
GAH!!!!! My heart!!!! My heart's just been ripped from my chest!!! Why Jane? Why'd you do that to me???? I'm such a wreck now!! Why do you hurt us so??? That's not very nice!!!!

This was a quick read about a boy living for the moment. And a girl who is fascinated by said boy's outlook on life. They make a wish list and from then on...it's a journey worth experiencing. I enjoyed both characters and loved how they connected and became best friends. And eventually their friendship blossomed into lo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Dec 22, 2015 04:55AM

• First Impressions (April Loves Black Coffee, #1)
  • 120 days...
  • Still Life with Strings
  • Rainfall
  • Vital Sign
  • Reclaiming the Sand (Reclaiming the Sand, #1)
  • How We Deal with Gravity
  • Dear Adam
  • Blood & Milk
  • Harkham's Case (Harkham's, #1)
  • Alaska (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • Teaching Professor Grayson
  • Learning to Love (Together, #1)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Beneath the Stain - Part Seven
  • Lead Me Not
  • Life After Taylah
  • Seven Days
Writing is my passion and my obsession. I write every day and I love it. My head is full of stories and characters. I'll never keep up with all my ideas!

I live in a small village by the ocean and walk my little dog, Pip, every day. It’s on those beachside walks that I have all my best ideas.

Writing has become a way of life – and one that I love to share.

To keep up-to-date with new books, special o
“...don’t let life be something that happens while you’re looking in the other direction.” 1 likes