Start by marking “Roller Girl” as Want to Read:
Roller Girl

Roller Girl

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  45,770 ratings  ·  4,060 reviews
For fans of Raina Telgemeiers Smile, a heartwarming graphic novel about friendship and surviving junior high through the power of roller derby.

Twelve-year-old Astrid has always done everything with her best friend Nicole. So when Astrid signs up for roller derby camp, she assumes Nicole will too. But Nicole signs up for dance camp with a new friend instead, and so begins
Published March 10th 2015 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Roller Girl, please sign up.
Casey Terryn My favorite character was Asterid because she never gave up even when she was having trouble with her friends.
Olivia I think it was because she didn't want her mom to know her and Nicole were not friends anymore. She doesn't want her to know because she is afraid…moreI think it was because she didn't want her mom to know her and Nicole were not friends anymore. She doesn't want her to know because she is afraid that her mom was not going to let her play in the bout for lying. She also doesn't want her mom knowing about her social life. (less)

·  45,770 ratings  ·  4,060 reviews

Start your review of Roller Girl
Cristina Monica
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read a fiction novel about roller derby years ago. The novel was made into a movie, which I watched, so I thought if the movie was good, the book must be ten times better. But it really wasnt. It didnt make me curious about roller derby or teach me anything about it that I still remember today.

ROLLER GIRL is a girls story, but it also feels like a special honour to roller derby, which I now find to be twice as exciting as I did before. Astrid and her best friend Nicole are growing apart. They
Nat
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Roller Girl 1-- bookspoils

Roller Derby, Girl-Power, and Friendship

I was pumped to read this middle-grade graphic novel all about recognizing female empowerment within the roller derby community, especially after having read and loved Pamela Ribon's SLAM! Vol. 1, which is a YA comic bundle set around the same premise.

Roller Girl 1-- bookspoils
Erica
Last year, my favorite middle-grade book was Sisters. I think Roller Girl will be this year's favorite because it. is. AMAZING.

Summary: Astrid Vasquez, dubbed Ass-turd by her nemesis, Rachel, has been best friends with Nicole forever. Astrid is the kid who does her own thing, is a little wild and very active, is the tomboy who poses a threat to kids with less confidence. But she doesn't know any of that, she just knows that it's always been her and Nicole against the world. During one of Ms.
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book was recommended to me by a fellow bookstagrammer. I gave it to my 8 years old and he loved it so much that he read it 3 times! It's no wonder because I absolutely loved this book! I read it in one sitting from 10:30pm to 2:30am! The story was on roller derby and I knew nothing about it so it was fascinating to learn. Astrid's skating skills was terrible and every time she fell, it reminded me of how I fell when I first learned to skate. I loved the message this book was teaching young ...more
Calista
Roller-rific. This was amazing. I want to go to a real Roller Derby event. i think it would be fun. I enjoyed the movie that came out a few years ago.

This is a story about Astrid at age 12 learning to be a tough and cool Roller Girl. She joins a summer camp to learn to skate, bump, fall, and jam. She has to be tough and she gains and loses friends in the process. Going into junior high is not for the faint of heart. Astrid's world is being turned upside down. Luckily, her mother is amazing and
Julie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even if I scratch my head particularly hard, I'd still be hard-pressed to find a topic of less interest to me than women's roller derby.

I mean. . . yeah, I lived in roller skates as a girl, but I skated while I was also applying a new layer of lip gloss or while I was daydreaming that Erik Estrada would pull me over for speeding.

My ideal in roller skating was Olivia Newton-John's depiction of it in the horrible/wonderful Xanadu. Like, you know, a goddess on wheels.

And, ironically, that weird
First Second Books
This book is super-adorable!

I especially like the girls relationship with her mom my favorite part is when the girl has to admit that shes been lying and her mom is like, no worries; growing older and making good decisions is hard.

Excellent parental behavior modeling!
Raina
Holy crap, I'm so excited that I get to be a kids librarian in a time when the market is nurturing and embracing literature like this.

Jamieson has a soft spot for the everysoul - she doesn't tell stories just about the stars of the world. Here, she uses her background playing roller derby to tell a coming of age story about a tween.
It's (subtly) set in PDX, which is a nice perk.
I really liked that Jamieson introduced derby as one activity in a parade of cultural experiences - one that catches
Jenna
Here are some of my favorite roller derby player names from this excellent girl-empowerment book that will be enjoyable to young people and adults alike, and that you should all go out and buy for your daughters/granddaughters/nieces etc. and read with them immediately! -
Rainbow Bite
Napoleon Blownapart
Slays Miserables
Braidy Punch
Heidi Go-Seek
Marz Rollver
Draculola
Scream Soda
...and perhaps my favorite: in her bio, the author, a bona fide roller girl herself, divulges her own alias: Winnie the Pow!
David Schaafsma
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Raina Telgemeier territory, which is to say it is a perfect antidote to the sturm und drang and anguish and suffering of Crime and Punishment! :) Happy and positive and colorful.

A girl grows up with a mom taking her and her sister to the opera and ballet to expose her to a certain type of cultural experiences, which are okay for her, but one day mom takes her to the roller derby and her life is changed! She finds like-minded friends and fun and competition and you know, every kid in my house has
Vanessa
I would like to begin with my tl;dr impressions of this book and they go like this:

YES! YES! YES! OH MY GOD! I LOVE IT SO MUCH, I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN CRACKED OPEN AND SOMEONE POURED PURE SUNSHINE INSIDE OF ME! SQUEEEEEEEE!!!

With that out of the way--I've loved roller derby for years. At my first in-person match, I harbored vivid fantasies of donning a helmet and jamming and blocking my heart out that lasted all the way through picking my fantasy roller derby name* until the second
Sesana
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, comics
This book came to my attention because of the subject matter (roller derby!), because of the cute cover, and because the blurb compared it to Raina Telgemeier. I love Telgemeier, and I'm happy to report that the comparison was fitting.

I admit that I was kind of expecting the general story arc that you usually find in a kids' sport story. Think Bad News Bears, Sandlot, Mighty Ducks. This is not exactly that story arc. Sure, Astrid is enthusiastic but bad at derby at the start, and she works
Stacey (prettybooks)
Oh, I loved Roller Girl. I came across it during a shopping trip at Gosh! Comics with my friend Daphne and one glance at the cover me it was the graphic novel for me! Roller Girl is the heartwarming tale of friendship and roller derby over one summer, beautifully written and illustrated by Victoria Jamieson. It perfectly captures what it's like to be growing up when you're not a child, but not quite a teenager.

Astrid is 12-years-old and does everything with her best friend Nicole until Astrid
Sophia Triad
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, favorites
One more skater to get past and... SHE DOES IT!
It's a story about how a girl's life has changed. Astrid was never too social or popular. She had tried rollers, but it was too hard for her. She tried them during camp, she didn't give up and she learned.
The book inspires you never to give up. If you are not good at something but you love it, you should keep trying until you succeed.
Recommended for ages 8 to 13 years old. Another one of my daughter's favourite books.
Liz
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is perfect for fans of Raina Telgemeier's books, as it is very similar in tone and artwork. I really enjoyed the storyline of complicated friendships, which came to a very satisfying conclusion. Highly recommended! I will definitely be giving my niece a copy of this book for her 12th birthday.
Meredith
This is every bit as cute as your friends are probably telling you it is. My husband also read and loved this book, and has decided that that our imaginary future daughter is definitely doing roller derby.

For those interested, I think my derby name would have been "NightMer." Husband says his is "Slaymier."
Manybooks
Of course I do realise (and also much respect) that Victoria Jamieson won a 2016 Newbery Honour designation for her middle grade graphic novel Roller Girl and that the general online star rankings for Roller Girl have equally and also been quite high and often with glowing and very much laudatory reviews. But be that as it may, for me personally and even more so for me emotionally, Roller Girl has not at ALL been even remotely a reading joy, and yes indeed, especially Victoria Jamieson's ...more
Abby Johnson
Um, just so, so good. Not only is this a super introduction to the world of roller derby (something I knew nothing about but now feel like I could understand), but it's an empowering story of girls navigating middle school friendships and never, ever giving up on their dreams. For the first time, Astrid is spending the summer apart from her best friend Nicole who is so not interested in roller derby and elects to sign up for ballet camp. Not only is Astrid on her own at roller derby camp, she's ...more
Diz
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel deals with the transition from elementary school to middle school and the difficult choices that you have to make at that time. It explores identity creation at that age and how creating your first identity can push you away from former friends. In addition, it's a great introduction to the world of roller derby!
Misty
This was cute, had great humor throughout, and the art was very clean, crisp and colorful (yay, alliteration!). Also, roller derby. What more could you want? =D
Melanie  Brinkman
"Tougher. Stronger. Fearless." - Rainbow Bite

Come rain or shine, it's always been Astrid and Nicole. So when Astrid signs up for roller derby, she's sure Nicole will too. But when Nicole signs up for dance camp with another friend, Astrid is shocked. Just who is she without her best friend? This summer she may just get the chance to find out.

A story of bumps, bruises, and best friends. It's time to bump, jam, and fall small.

Trigger for indirect body shaming, mention of a dead animal, bullying,
Josiah
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roller Girl wasn't the first graphic novel to win a Newbery Honorthat was Cece Bell's El Deafo in 2015but it duplicated the feat only a year later. Victoria Jamieson had illustrated for other authors and done a few picture books of her own, but Roller Girl put her squarely on the map in children's literature. She had become one of the best at appealing to reluctant readers with her spunk and colorful sense of style.

Astrid Vasquez and Nicole have been friends since first grade, when a girl
This is so cool.

This graphic novel reminds me of the best of the middle-school graphic novels, such as Smile, which are very much about making friends, and keeping friends, and growing up and apart.

Astrid, the main character, goes with her best friend, Nicole, to see a Roller Derby show, and falls in love with it. Astrid hopes that her friend will share her desire to take a Roller Derby summer camp, but Nicole wants to do Ballet Summer Camp.

And so, Astrid gets to learn how hard it is to really
Cheryl
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this Newbery Honor a lot. Beverly explains very well why it's so good. As far as the entitlement attitude, well, that's the theme of the book, as one of the things Astrid has to learn and deal with is that friends can grow apart.

I'm also very glad that this energetic child has this outlet. She's tough, like her role models, like many boys & unlike many girls. Imagine if she had to behave like a little lady!

I am spending some time thinking about one detail at the ending. Nicole gives
Mehsi
Re-read 2020: I decided it was high time to re-read this one and I am glad I did. It was such a fun graphic novel and while I wasn't always a fan of Astrid and her decisions, I loved seeing her grow throughout the book and get better and stronger (mentally and physically). I would love more Astrid and more rollerderby, but I guess it is just not happening. A shame.
I loved Rainbow Bite and how sweet and supportive she was.
The art was also great fun.

--------------------------------------

After
Jim Leesch
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why the hell are you reading this review instead of reading the book? GO! NOW! You can come back and thank me later.
Laurie
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A must read for every mid-school girl and her mother!
Hobbes
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens

Friendship.
Girl power.
Roller Derby!

For 9-12 years readers, this graphic novel is relatable, fun, hilarious and cute.

Loved it!
Barb Middleton
Good fiction allows readers to acquire knowledge and understanding about themselves through experiencing with characters different emotions, beliefs, and behaviors. When readers gain self-identification from reading, the fiction becomes a tool for socialization and education. Childhood and adolescence is a difficult time because it is when self-identities are forming, but the brain is not fully developed making decision-making and self-knowledge a challenge. The difficulty for an author is ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful wholesome coming of age story of a middle schooler dealing with many issues facing children of this age but particularly one which almost all of us go through. That time when we find ourselves drifting away from the best friend we've had since kindergarten. Nicole and Astrid will be starting junior high after this summer and though they've always done everything together, this summer Astrid is joining Roller Derby camp and Nicole doesn't want to because she has already ...more
Sophie Snyder's review 7 1 6 Apr 17, 2020 02:31PM
read book 4 12 Dec 31, 2018 10:50AM

• Drama
  • El Deafo
  • Smile (Smile, #1)
  • Sunny Side Up (Sunny, #1)
  • Ghosts
  • Sisters (Smile, #2)
  • Real Friends (Real Friends, #1)
  • Awkward (Berrybrook Middle School, #1)
  • Sisters - Free Preview Edition
  • Kristy's Great Idea
  • Swing it, Sunny
  • Sunny Side Up and Swing It, Sunny: The Box Set
  • Guts
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life (Dork Diaries, #1)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three
  • Invisible Emmie

Articles featuring this book

“You're probably scare, and nervous, and just about ready to pee your pants. But don't run from your fear. Embrace it! Because believe me, the best things in life are worth fighting for.” 8 likes
“I could keep running from my battles and live in fear or I could embrace the fear.” 5 likes