Start by marking “Kidnapped by the Taliban: A Story of Terror, Hope, and Rescue by Seal Team Six” as Want to Read:
Kidnapped by the Taliban: A Story of Terror, Hope, and Rescue by Seal Team Six

Kidnapped by the Taliban: A Story of Terror, Hope, and Rescue by Seal Team Six

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  257 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Back Cover Copy:

"Am I About to Die?"

Published October 21st 2014 by Thomas Nelson (first published October 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Kidnapped by the Taliban, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kidnapped by the Taliban

really liked it 4.00  ·

Ron
“Nothing focuses your thoughts quite like the expectation that you will be killed in the next few hours or even moments.”

In late 2012 an American doctor of Indian descent, working with Morning Star Development, and two Afghan nationals were abducted by Taliban in a remote valley of eastern Afghanistan, when returning to Kabul from a clinic and development site. This book details that abduction and his subsequent rescue by elite American special forces personnel. It’s a thrilling story.

More signi
Ron
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are a number of problems with this mawkish portrayal of a Taliban kidnapping.

Most troublesome is the cost of life, only made worse by the author’s empty-headed perspective. In liberating the author from his captors, America lost a hero in 28-year old decorated Navy Seal Nicholas Checque, who was ruthlessly gunned down by Taliban thugs in the rescue effort.

Certainly such a fact would weigh on the conscience of the author, right?

The author’s callous response is troubling. After a skin-deep
Tara Davis
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read!
Robin
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Dr. Joseph's harrowing true story of being kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan followed by a rescue from Navy Seals. Easy read, some parts are better than others, but a different take on the Taliban. They like everyone else...complex human beings--walking paradoxes---and not just complete monsters and embodiment of evil as television would depict them. I do not condone their actions, but it was eye-opening to see how hospitable, friendly and compassionate they were at times during the kidnap ...more
Hailie Roblyer
Very cool true story! Easy read with a great message about seeing the humanity in others, even when they have a different faith and culture from you.
Jimmy
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fascinating first hand account of an American Christian doctor doing work in Afghanistan who was kidnapped by the Taliban in 2012. Dalip Joseph is an American of Indian descent (as in the country, not Native Americans) who has a heart for Afghanistan and made multiple trips there before he was kidnapped on December 5th, 2012. A few days later Joseph was rescued in a daring raid by the US Navy SEALs. Unfortunately the SEAL point man was killed during the operation. What I found most i ...more
Jo
Back Cover Copy:

"Am I About to Die?"

On December 5, 2012, American medical doctor Dilip Joseph and two colleagues are driving back to Kabul, Afghanistan, after serving villagers that morning at a rural clinic. Suddenly a man waving an AK-47 blocks their path. More armed men jump out of hiding. For Dilip, it is the beginning of a nightmare--he's being kidnapped by the Taliban.

Dilip and his friends endure a nine-hour march into the mountains, gruesome images of torture and death, and repeated threa
CliffordWallace
Marianne
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kidnapped by the Taliban is one of those books that you want to read from cover to cover in one sitting. Apparently Dr. Joseph’s memories with his Taliban captors seems so fresh that I as a reader even felt the terror that he experienced and the rigorous physical activity that he went through as they journey the Afghanistan terrain.

It may not easy on his part to write this book especially that his rescue claimed the life of a SEAL Team Six operator, but I admire Dr. Joseph for his courage in do
Therese
$1.99

American Indian, Dr. Dilip Joseph was raised by parents who had a strong Christian faith and believed in giving back to others. Dilip went on to do the same thing, and after gaining an education in the US, he began dedicating time in Afghanistan to help people who are lacking in the basics of education, nutrition and health care. Most people were happy to have him around, and he gained a lot from giving back until one day he was kidnapped by the Taliban with his translator (and coworker), R
Charity Andrews
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Christian Medic. Taliban Kidnapping. SEAL Team VI rescue. Count me in!!

Dilip Joseph is a man that wants to serve and show others the love, mercy and peace that can be found within a relationship with God. While serving in Afghanistan, his own faith was put to the ultimate test. Being held for ransom, he strives to trust God and show his kidnappers compassion and love. Of course, we now know that he was rescued by SEAL Team VI, but not before touching the hearts of those that meant him harm.

This
Farzana Marie
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Dilip Joseph’s vivid, authentic storytelling offers a rare view into the physical, psychological, and spiritual experience of Taliban captivity. While the threat of death from the captors’ pointed AK-47s and Kalashnikovs was unmistakably real, so was the strange intimacy shared between captives and captors around meals of fresh naan and green tea, the human connections that were possible even under the most hostile circumstances. Dr. Dilip’s unbreakable personal faith in God, along with the ...more
Jennifer Altman
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kidnapped by the Taliban: A Story of Terror, Hope, and Rescue by SEAL Team Six by Dr. Dilip Joseph was a great read! I think you will be surprised of his experience as a Taliban hostage.

Dr. Dilip Joseph was in Afghanistan doing non profit medical work when he and 2 of his associates were kidnapped by members of the Taliban. In this book he recounts his experience as a hostage, and his rescue and return home.

This book is very well written and was enjoyable to read. I am prior military, so maybe
(not your)
Kidnapped by the Taliban is a first-hand report of one man’s dream made real, the very real physical threats to that dream and the peace made possible through Joseph’s faith in God when that dream was threatened. This well-written account leads us to know Dilip Joseph and his desire through faith to help others both physically and spiritually whenever possible. It’s so easy to see the bad guys as just that: bad guys. Dilip Joseph’s account of his terrifying kidnap by the Taliban and his daring r ...more
a.t.m.
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story of a doctor that had been kidnapped by the Taliban

The book is a good read and relatively short, but, filled with the details about the doctor's background. The doctor gets abducted by the Taliban and is finally rescued by U.S. Navy seals. The tragedy is the loss of an American serviceman, who was killed by a lucky shot by one of the Taliban guards. There is much to be derived from this book, the sacrifices made by our armed forces, the degree to what our government will go to in rescuing o
Zachary
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so amazing how even the taliban can demonstrate their hospitable culture even to the people they have captured. To have the chance to see through the taliban's life as a captive must of changed so many views Dilip Joseph had. It certainly changed many perspectives that I had. This is such an amazing book to read. It makes you realize that some people motives are much closer related to ours than we think. And that we are all the same race and all have things in common. I would highly recomm ...more
Norhashimah kamarudin yacob
Thank you for writing a book that touches on your observation of the cultures, humanity and compassion of the Taliban whose lives have touched yours. They're often the most feared upon group and there was nothing else to highlight in the media but their murderous natures and acts. By no means does this neutralize their acts, but it opens up a side of them that we could not possibly be aware of. Circumstance made people who they are.
Marcia
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This was an engrossing, yet quick read - as Dr. Joseph took us through his experiences in Afghanistan, and his capture and ultimate rescue. He paints an honest portrayal of his terror, the importance of his faith in helping him deal with the kidnapping experience, and his ability to "love" his captors and forgive. I also gained an appreciation for our SEAL's and what they so honorably do in being true patriots.
Elsie
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auto-biography
The authors do a great job sharing the culture and traditions of the people who kidnapped Dr. Joseph. There would be less war and strife in our world if we could all look at the issues we face from others' perspectives.
Duane Frasier
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't tend to like this kind of book. But this one had my attention from the beginning. Very tense. It moves at a good pace. What I find most fascinating about this book is its approach. It doesn't get by on fear. It is a book about hope. Very challenging!
Arthur Berm
A story told by a doctor in minute detail about Dilip Joseph, a lot more could have been told about the circumstances to give the reader a better understanding of Afghanistan. An amazing situation from which the doctor was rescued at the cost of human lives.
Kjes
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author comes across as strangely shallow. He does thank the person who gave his life in saving the author, but something seems off in the telling. The book is dedicated to his mother rather than the soldier who died in the process of saving him, which tells you something. Strange and sad.
Jason Reist
an interesting story of Dr. Dilip Josephs horrible experiences. I just wish that there was more to it. The story just seemed to end without finishing off some parts.
Daryl
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, gives very good info on the culture
Stevis
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye Opening

Interesting experience this doctor endured. Amazing how these terrorists actually had compassion for this American. His faith surely kept at peace.
Steve Sorrells
A good book telling the story of a dr kid append. Practical regarding Afghanistan and respectfully honoring the military but still the author is a bit naive.
Robin
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly written! Loved the authors strength and unfailing faith in the worst of circumstances.
Jana Smith
A quick read. A different point of view of the Taliban.
Alecia
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Inspiring. His faith and humanity amazing in such dire circumstances. Amazing man with heartfelt desire to help others.
Scott Aldrich
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be an enlightening and heartfelt glimpse into the author's incredible experience and the effect it had on him during and after. I feel as if I truly understand and appreciate his experiences and how they strengthened his faith. If you are looking for an action-packed story of American heroism, this might not be what you expect - but I would bet you will come away with an appreciation for the sacrifices of those who protect and serve, and a deeper understanding of the shared human ...more

• Azusa Street: An Eyewitness Account to the Birth of the Pentecostal Revival
  • Compelled by Love: How to Change the World Through the Simple Power of Love in Action
  • China Cry: The Nora Lam Story
  • Crossing the Waters: Following Jesus Through the Storms, the Fish, the Doubt, and the Seas
  • Hearts of Fire: Eight Women in the Underground Church and Their Stories of Costly Faith
  • The Justice Calling: Where Passion Meets Perseverance
  • The Lion of Sabray: The Afghan Warrior Who Defied the Taliban and Saved the Life of Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell
  • Futureville: Discover Your Purpose for Today by Reimagining Tomorrow