Start by marking “Miracle at the Higher Grounds Cafe” as Want to Read:
Miracle at the Higher Grounds Cafe

Miracle at the Higher Grounds Cafe

What if you could ask God anything? What would you ask? And how would He answer?

Chelsea Chambers is on her own. After a public split from her NFL superstar husband, Chelsea takes a bold step out of the limelight and behind the counter of the Higher Grounds Cafe, an old-fashioned coffee shop in dire need of reinvention. But when her courage, expert planning, and out-of-this
Published February 17th 2015 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Miracle at the Higher Grounds Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miracle at the Higher Grounds Cafe

Pouting Always
Jan 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is proof that I really really should read the description before I buy books because I'm pretty sure the reason I liked it so little is because I'm not religious at all. Chelsea who recently divorced her NFL star husband opens a cafe and someone comes to install a router that has a direct connection to god. The idea is a unique one but it felt so absurd the whole time I was reading it. I didn't enjoy the writing or any of the characters. Everything felt hard to believe even when I trie ...more
Susan
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
MIRACLE AT THE HIGHER GROUNDS CAFE is all about love, forgiveness, and of course, coffee. I was instantly caught up in Chelsea's life and her problems. My heart broke for her and all she was going through. Keep a box of tissues close by while reading all about Chelsea and her customers and of course, Manny! Grab a big cup of coffee, your favorite blanket, this wonderful story and be prepared to finish in one or two sittings. Max Lucado does not preach his story, but rather shows you the beauty o ...more
Paula Vince
Chelsea Chambers has many hassles. She's inherited her mother's cafe, which had been a family business for generations, but discovered an $86 000 debt. This comes on the heels of separating from her husband, who has cheated on her, and trying to deal with the confusion and grief of their two young children. But business takes a sudden boom with the arrival of the 'God Blog' on her premises; a direct internet line to God, who offers to answer the heartfelt prayers of any customers. Chelsea's staf ...more
Lawrence
Great read!

This book was about faith, forgiveness and the healing power of God's love. If you like reading books by Max Lucado, then you will like this one too.
Jerry
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A different sort of Max Lucado book...but an entertaining one!
Hilary
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In general feel this is almost like a cozy cafe mystery. There's a problem to solve, people who rally around and support the key character(s) and a heart-warming solution at the end.

It's not a mystery though. It's also not a romance, though it certainly demonstrates elements of relationships, seeing the truth in others, and the importance of forgiveness.

This is a book about community, about trust and, most of all, about prayer. It's for anyone who's ever wondered, "Is God listening? Does He real
Steven Walle
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an other great teaching by the great author Max Lucado.. Please read weather you are a Christian or not. It has many jems.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
MIRACLE AT THE HIGHER GROUNDS CAFE is a cute story. At first I was disenchanted as Mr. Lucado started the book with major backstory. But once the information dump was over, the story picked up and grabbed my interest.

My son asked me if this was nonfiction, since that is what Mr. Lucado is known for, and I told him no, this is fiction, but it is showing us the very real-spiritual battle that goes on daily in the world that we can't see or comprehend. I absolutely loved the way Mr. Lucado portray
Sharon Huether
I won this book through Goodreads First-reads. Chelsea was facing many of life's problems, when she open a coffee shop café. A stranger came to the shop and was a big help in running the store. Soon customers came too. they also wanted answers. The answers came on the internet in her store. They were all talking to someone Divine. Finally Chelsea got the answers she needed in a most unexpected way. It was a hard to put down book.
Anna
Chelsea Chambers, recently separated from her NFL husband, finds herself the owner of the Higher Ground Cafe. The Cafe is in need of renovation, and Chelsea is having trouble competing with the contemporary coffee shops with the latest technology. But with the help of her quirky guardian angel, Manny, and her neighbor Bo, Chelsea finds the faith to persevere. Her two children miss their Dad, and Chelsea struggles with being a single Mom. But, with some heavenly intervention, miracles can happen. ...more
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a cute story, and I loved the cafe setting. BUT the story was a bit too fantastic, and the characters didn't seem to react appropriately to things that would happen. There were conversations that were hard to follow, and I had to re-read them several times to understand. It just seemed poorly written. Nice ending, and I loved the spiritual truths throughout... I REALLY wanted to enjoy it more!
E.
Als een boek je laat zuchten, sniffen, verwonderen en genieten vind ik het helemaal terecht dat ik dit boek 5 sterren geef. Jawel er is heus wat op aan te merken. Maar dat gevoel dat het me gaf verdient dit.

Oh my unicorn, ik heb net een goddelijk boek 5 sterren gegeven.
Deborah
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the very first paragraph, I knew I was going to rate this 5 stars. This story is so my style! I absolutely love the writing technique. The beautiful details of everything going on and the description of the cafe. Aww!!! Love it!!

A lovely book that will remind you of It's a Wonderful Life.
Emily
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Als getuigenis, super!
Als verhaal, mwa...
Catherine
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet heavenly read. The author shows the power of prayer and the need of so many. Sometimes our heart and soul just need a refresher course.
Julia
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Miracle At The Higher Grounds Cafe by Max Lucado is a wonderful novel, and I was blessed to receive a copy. I have read many books by Max Lucado, and have never been disappointed, and this latest novel was no exception.
Chelsea Chambers inherited the Higher Grounds cafe from her mother, who in turn had inherited it from her mother. For newly separated Chelsea and her two children Hancock and Emily, it is to be a new start in life. Chelsea is married to a former NFL star, who cheated on her. Chels
Laura A. Grace
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
What an interesting story! I have to say I was surprised by how this novel kept me turning the pages quickly with the God Blog and delicious pastry goodies.

At first I was really leery of the whole angel thing, but by the end that was one of my favorite parts! Max really makes a point that you really never know when you could be entertaining angels (or they could even be entreating you!). Manny was so priceless as a guardian angel!

As a whole, the plot was good. I enjoyed all the characters and fe
Kalena
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Contemporary Christian fiction; multiple non-fiction books read by this author. To say I was interested in Max Lucado's work of fiction is an understatement. Ultimately, I have mixed feelings about this book after finishing it. Pros: Feel-good, funny story about one family's trials and faith. Cons: Parts of the plot were difficult to relate to, sometimes the plot was a little too neat. Despite the fact that while I read the book, there were little things I immediately shared with my daughter, a ...more
Carrie Fairbanks herschbach
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a charming little book. I fell in love with the characters. I feel as if I really know them. I read slowly because I didn't want to leave their little world. It is definitely in my top 5 favorite books. I just finished this book less than 15 minutes ago and miss all the characters. Makes me want to start all over. This book I will be keeping!
Talk Supe
Jun 10, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
After a streak of meh reads, I needed a palate cleanser and this called to me while I was perusing my shelves.

I generally do not like Christian fiction because I don't like my faith to be trivialized. However this was a very simple yet touching story.
Susanchitter
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you could ask God one question what would it be? It reminds me that God is always near.
Karen
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a December book club selection. And considering the season, it was nice to read something lighter and somewhat inspirational. As a rule, I am even more critical of Christian fiction than I am of general fiction. I have some strong progressive Christian beliefs, and for better or worse, most Christian fiction tends to lean toward a more conservative fundamentalist view of Christianity. Also, a lot of Christian fiction is rather Pollyannaish. You see a lot of characters who face serious l ...more
Marge S
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, coffee
If you are after a serious fiction read, this is not the book. But if you are willing to use your imagination, and permit yourself to ask what if.. What if you had a guardian angel? What if God used the internet to communicate? What if you had the opportunity to ask God one question and a written response is given?
A fun, uplifting read.

This one a bit obvious
About forgiveness
Debby Long
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and up lifting. A great read to start the new year!!
Kate Muybueno
Dec 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
this was not only the worst book I read this year, but possibly the worst book I've ever read. I cannot believe I finished it out of spite.

Chelsea is a terrible person, and she owns a cafe where her guardian angel works? she does so many petty and awful things, like purposefully serving someone a coffee loaded with cream and sugar, not knowing if they're diabetic or not... out of jealousy.

Also the whole capitalist reward/God being invested in a coffee shop? what the actual...

I wish I could giv
Marga
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
What an inspiring book. Just when I needed it. The affirmations. ❤
Carol
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I thought that it was just marvelous. This is the first book of his that I have read. I will be reading many of his books. Thank you very much.
JP Bledsoe
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
Really good story, but at first got a little confusing with the shifting of perspectives. Once I was used to it, I really enjoyed it.
Jamie Pennington
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I generally do not read fiction but Lucado is one of my favorite authors. The book was a bit unrealistic and predictable as most fiction is. Thus why I don't like fiction. But a good read none the less. One I could not put down for the most part.
  • Home to Chicory Lane (Chicory Inn #1)
  • A Wedding at the Orange Blossom Inn (Amish Brides of Pinecraft, #3)
  • A Dream of Miracles (The Amish Wonders #3)
  • A Promise in Pieces (Quilts of Love, #17)
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • Song of Silence
  • Summer's List
  • Heaven Sent Rain
  • The Thief (The Living Water, #2)
  • The Gate
  • Aloha Rose (Quilts of Love, #12)
  • The Reason
  • Gone South
  • A Portrait of Dawn (Dawn Trilogy, #1)
  • A Heart's Betrayal (A Journey of the Heart #4)
  • Quilted by Christmas (Quilts of Love, #22)
  • Caroline's Secret (Wells Landing, #1)
  • Fatal Trauma
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

https:/
“But prayer isn't asking God to do what we want. Prayer is asking God to what is right.” 5 likes
“Each star, numbered. Each star, named! Like every grain of sand. Every hair on his head. Every trouble that filled his day. Created. Numbered. Known.” 2 likes